K-Dog

Thank You Lardarius Webb

30 posts in this topic

See my avatar?
I am a Webb fan.  All three members of my family have two RAVENS jerseys.  Lewis and Webb.

Most of you know why we all are such RAVENS fans.

Click here to see why.

Having met him a few times after that initial meeting, he was always super cool and classy.  Good to my kid.  Good to my wife.  Good to his fans.  
He fought hard he played hard.  He is what it means to be a RAVEN.
He will always be one of my favorite RAVENS. 

IMG_8703.jpg

Heartbreaking.  One of my all time favorites.  I even went to his softball games at the stadium.

Rough sport.  Guys like Webb great talent who always gave it his all gone after only 8 years.  He will be missed.  

Webb deserves a lot of credit for his time here.  It's unfortunate that injuries pretty much sapped his career, since he was really playing at an elite level when he signed the extension.  Unfortunately, he could never fully recover as the knee injuries became too much to overcome to get back to his previous play.  Even during those trying teams, Webb remained a consummate professional and team player.  He was willing to do whatever the team asked - take a pay cut, switch positions, mentor the young guns, etc.  He is the epitome of a team player, and I'll always have a ton of respect for Webb for that reason.

Furthermore, as alluded to above, Webb was tremendous off the field as well.  He was consistently active in the community and really embraced Baltimore as his home.

Although this day had to come eventually, Webb will surely be missed.

3 hours ago, K-Dog said:

See my avatar?
I am a Webb fan.  All three members of my family have two RAVENS jerseys.  Lewis and Webb.

Most of you know why we all are such RAVENS fans.

Click here to see why.

Having met him a few times after that initial meeting, he was always super cool and classy.  Good to my kid.  Good to my wife.  Good to his fans.  
He fought hard he played hard.  He is what it means to be a RAVEN.
He will always be one of my favorite RAVENS. 

Great post man.

Had some great years here.

Rarely find corners that can tackle like he can, its innate, you cant teach it to a 180 pound kid.  He has "it", shame his knees didn't keep up with him, he was a damn good player.  Id love for the Ravens to bring him back at a lesser cap hit.

hope he comes back and add some experience and depth.

dude was 1 of the better safeties in the league and makes you wonder if we should not have made the move sooner tbh.

2 hours ago, Bltravens said:

Rarely find corners that can tackle like he can, its innate, you cant teach it to a 180 pound kid.  He has "it", shame his knees didn't keep up with him, he was a damn good player.  Id love for the Ravens to bring him back at a lesser cap hit.

Webb is one of the easiest guys to love as a fan! I'm so heartbroken but I absolutely understand the move.

if he comes back then I'd be the first to celebrate. If not then il thank him for 8 awesome years. Effort was never Webbs downfall and he was never a negative distraction. Thank you thank you thank you Webby!!

38 minutes ago, Halshayeji said:

Webb is one of the easiest guys to love as a fan! I'm so heartbroken but I absolutely understand the move.

if he comes back then I'd be the first to celebrate. If not then il thank him for 8 awesome years. Effort was never Webbs downfall and he was never a negative distraction. Thank you thank you thank you Webby!!

+1000

Hope we can resign him as a 3rd S great guy great player just that injury bug. Before the 2nd ACL he was right with Revis as a top rated CB. Thank you for personifying what playlike a Raven means and good luck

13 hours ago, Purple_ICE 81 said:

Member Lardarius Webb in his prime before his injuries when he was a boss.

Dude could cover anyone in the league at that time. 

I remember he he started off as a returner and was electric. Moved on to be a great CB until he blew his knee out :(

Webby will truly be missed here. Wonder if Jimmy takes number 21 now??

Remember that Webb was actually a safety in college. He was considered too small for that position in the NFL and he had the ability to play corner as a pro. At one time he was playing better than Jimmy Smith and was our best corner on the team. He was never given as much credit for being a sure tackler for a guy of his size at the CB position. The one season where Webb was locking it down and Jimmy Smith finally hit his stride it seemed like the Ravens had two of the best corners in the game. Then injuries happened to both guys. For Webb it was both legs and then a lower back injury. He couldn't move like he did before and perhaps he should have moved to safety back then, but with the personnel already on the team the move just didn't make sense at the time.

In his first season back he was raw, as to be expected. He hadn't played the position in about 7-8 years. Over the course of the season he got better. We had Weddle playing out of position as a SS IMO and the Tony Jefferson deal was writing on the wall.

Always enjoyed Webb as a player and thought he always played like a Raven. Never saw him taking a play off or shying away from a tackle no matter what was coming after him. Who knows what his future in the NFL is, but I am sure some other team will be happy to add him to their roster. Maybe if his market isn't too crazy he comes back to us for depth. We still need another safety on the roster behind Jefferson and Weddle. Levine is already here and maybe Marqueston Huff is the other guy for now?

Thank you for all of your time as a Raven Mr. Webb!

I would love nothing more than to see Webby come back in a reduced role, at a reduced cap hit allowing him an opportunity to finish his career here. Always a true Raven through and through. If it doesn't happen, I want to send my thanks to him as I enjoyed watching him over the years.

Really hope we can find a middle ground to bring him back.  Webb deserves to play his entire career with the Ravens.  Maybe something along the lines of 2 years, $7 million (most of which is guaranteed).  Would net us $2-3 million in cap savings overall.  

Would be great depth to have in the secondary.  

Going to miss him, if he returns that will be great, but if Claiborne is re-signed then I don't think the chances of that happening are particularly high. Still, Webb was a class-act and one of the most honorable Ravens we've ever had. Going to miss the guy. 

There is still a chance he signs back here. Reports say the team is still working to sign him back, along with attempting to sign Claiborne. 

Let's hope that he comes back, he is one of the best players on and off the field for this organization. Drafted here, hopefully he finishes his career here.

He could by back in purple- but not with us. The vikings are showing interest. I would love to have him back at a discount- he would be great depth..but after already taking paycuts and then getting released would he be willing to take less AGAIN to stay here at home? We know he loves it here- I guess it all depends on what the vikes offer obviously. Can't see him taking less to sit the bench though...I think that goodbye message was a permanent goodbye. We will see. He's def always been a team player.

Just now, Halshayeji said:

Come on Webb just come back already. No one loves or misses you like we do....

I've heard reports that we're still interested in having Webb on the team. I really hope so, he can still contribute as a 3rd safety.

1 minute ago, purpletide said:

I've heard reports that we're still interested in having Webb on the team. I really hope so, he can still contribute as a 3rd safety.

that would be awesome

On 3/10/2017 at 10:35 PM, Purple_ICE 81 said:

Member Lardarius Webb in his prime before his injuries when he was a boss.

I remember the 2011 season; he was a beast that year. 

On 3/11/2017 at 0:32 PM, Purple Punishment said:

Dude could cover anyone in the league at that time. 

I remember he he started off as a returner and was electric. Moved on to be a great CB until he blew his knee out :(

Webby will truly be missed here. Wonder if Jimmy takes number 21 now??

I believe Jefferson has that number now. https://mobile.twitter.com/_tonyjefferson/status/843125645974548480/photo/1

l think Jefferson looks better using number 23 imo but 21 is a good number. 

Edited by hen826957

5 hours ago, Davesta said:

I was hoping jeffy rocks 23. 32 and 23 at safeties would be cool

I like the backwards and forwards on that. Just saying ....

Anybody know the current status on Webby? Have the Vikings close to signing him or do we still have a chance to bring him back at a palatable salary?