ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

Extended Brandon Williams

203 posts in this topic

Thank you Brandon Williams!!!! Nice to be able to keep the best player on the defense<<<<Correction--- he is the best player on the team,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Virginia 55 said:

Thank you Brandon Williams!!!! Nice to be able to keep the best player on the defense<<<<Correction--- he is the best player on the team,

......for 60% of the plays?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Virginia 55 said:

Thank you Brandon Williams!!!! Nice to be able to keep the best player on the defense<<<<Correction--- he is the best player on the team,

Uh hard pass

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2017 at 4:15 PM, Halshayeji said:

It's simple, they find a way to keep Jernigan too. Williams doesn't play on most third downs.... Yeah his presence forces 3rd and longs and more 3 and outs than anyone!

People please, BWill is one of best NTs in football. He's definitely worth at least 10 mil a year. If your ever gonna overpay by a mil or 2, it's to keep a player like that. Mosley, Stanley, and maybe even jernigan are players you find a way to keep in their prime. 

Find a way to keep them is exactly how a salary cap works, yep it's that simple..  

In 2016 Franchise Tag for DE was 15.7M, if Jernigan were to put together a Pro Bowl season next year the franchise tag would cost about that amount above.  Perhaps a long term deal could be 13-14M/yr.  

If Jernigan has an average year at minimum I'd assume he'd get over 10M/yr similar to what the Steelers paid C.Hayward or the 9M broncos paid Wolfe. 

Mosley will get a 5th year option picked up, but the team needs to try and sign him to long term deal early, before they have to pay him more than kuechly  

And Stanley is only in year 2 of his rookie contract so he's irrelevant to this particular conversation currently. 

 

Like my original comment said B.Will is a valuable player I like him a lot, but people cried when they let Ngata walk away thinking B.Will wasn't ready to replace him he's done well. I think Pierce could have done something very similar..

 

Sam Adams & Ted Washington have to be sick to their stomachs that they aren't playing now lol. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Purple_City39 said:

......for 60% of the plays?

how many players on this team are in conversation of being the best at their position?

Weddle, Yanda and Tucker are about it quite frankly.

Id take someone who only plays 60% of the snaps but as 1 of the league best over someone who plays 100% of the snaps as one of the leagues worst in a heartbeat.....

Quality over quantity...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

how many players on this team are in conversation of being the best at their position?

Weddle, Yanda and Tucker are about it quite frankly.

Id take someone who only plays 60% of the snaps but as 1 of the league best over someone who plays 100% of the snaps as one of the leagues worst in a heartbeat.....

Quality over quantity...

Well, clearly the Ravens will too.  But when praising someone as being the best on the team, I remove anyone that has to be removed during obvious passing situations........in a passing league.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

Well, clearly the Ravens will too.  But when praising someone as being the best on the team, I remove anyone that has to be removed during obvious passing situations........in a passing league.

if you cant stop the run , you wont be in obvious passing situations....

also you should really try to figure out what 3-4 NT are supposed to do.

its aint the same as 4-3 DT....

 

 

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

if you cant stop the run , you wont be in obvious passing situations....

also you should really try to figure out what 3-4 NT are supposed to do.

its aint the same as 4-3 DT....

 

 

 

 

You keep saying this as if it changes my original point.  The best player on your team simply can't be someone who's on the field 60% of the snaps, regardless of the reason.  Is this a specific enough statement??

Good god man.  Just because I point out that he comes off the field in passing situations (as a reason I don't like him being paid what he was paid or why I don't think he can be the best player on the team) doesn't equal not knowing what a 3-4 NT does.  And for the record, as already pointed out, we've had two different players play the NT position in the Ravens 3-4 that didn't need to be pulled, but that's not part of the current point you jumped into.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

You keep saying this as if it changes my original point.  The best player on your team simply can't be someone who's on the field 60% of the snaps, regardless of the reason.  Is this a specific enough statement??

Good god man.  Just because I point out that he comes off the field in passing situations (as a reason I don't like him being paid what he was paid or why I don't think he can be the best player on the team) doesn't equal not knowing what a 3-4 NT does.  And for the record, as already pointed out, we've had two different players play the NT position in the Ravens 3-4 that didn't need to be pulled, but that's not part of the current point you jumped into.

You dont know cause if you did you would drop this whole sack crap in regards to the 3-4 NT position.

As for your Gregg argument:

williams already has double the amount of sacks gregg has in the play offs while gregg at this point avg about 1 more sack per regular season.

Gregg has played 10 play off games and has 0.5 sacks.
Williams has played 2 play off games and has 1 sack already.

Yet in your eyes Gregg is this amazing pass rusher from the NT position and worthy every penny what williams got but williams is over paid.

heck in 10 play off games gregg has 3 tackles and 4 assist.
Williams in 2 play off games has 5 tackles and 2 assist.

Safe to say that your whole argument about gregg and sacks from the NT position becomes a load of crap once its time for the play offs.

 

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

You dont know cause if you did you would drop this whole sack crap in regards to the 3-4 NT position.

As for your Gregg argument:

williams already has double the amount of sacks gregg has in the play offs while gregg at this point avg about 1 more sack per regular season.

Gregg has played 10 play off games and has 0.5 sacks.
Williams has played 2 play off games and has 1 sack already.

Yet in your eyes Gregg is this amazing pass rusher from the NT position and worthy every penny what williams got but williams is over paid.

heck in 10 play off games gregg has 3 tackles and 4 assist.
Williams in 2 play off games has 5 tackles and 2 assist.

Safe to say that your whole argument about gregg and sacks from the NT position becomes a load of crap once its time for the play offs.

It doesn't freaking matter as it doesn't change my point.  You just found something to grab onto so you could do your usual "swoop in and drop a one-liner" posts.

I don't care the position, I don't care the task, if a player isn't on the field for passing downs, in a passing league, then that player isn't worth almost 11M a season nor are they the best player on the field.  Hell, I know you agree as you're not even arguing the point you jumped in on.  You decided to pick and choose another area so you can......I don't know, feel good about yourself?  Speaking of which:

That's it?  You're going to compare 4 seasons of each of their careers are justify it with a few playoff games?  Amazing.  You really will reach huh?  But since you want to discuss:

In Williams' career as a 3-4 NT (4 seasons), he has 5.5 total sacks including playoffs

In Gregg's first 4 seasons as a 3-4 NT (to keep it even), he had 9.5 sacks.  For the record, I'm also including the entire 2008 season THAT GREGG DIDN'T PLAY DUE TO INJURY.  You can keep digging for ways to cherry pick things to prove your point since a fair comparison hurts your argument.  Three seasons of Greg almost doubles 4 seasons of Williams.  Four full seasons of Gregg actually does that.

But to repeat the main point again, I'll list it in two easy points:

1. In a passing league, if a player only plays 60% of the snaps, for any reason, that player is not worth almost 11M per season, in my opinion (and clearly many others), nor can they be considered the best player on the team

Side note, when I get home I'm going to look up that sack.  I don't remember it so I want to see if Williams simply made a good play or if the QB ran into him trying to escape someone else (or he fell and go touched down).  If it's anything but the former it'll be hilarious to me

Edited by Purple_City39
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a follow up, I just looked for that play and can't find it anywhere on video.  So I'm not going to comment, or make guesses, as to how that play occured.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

It doesn't freaking matter as it doesn't change my point.  You just found something to grab onto so you could do your usual "swoop in and drop a one-liner" posts.

I don't care the position, I don't care the task, if a player isn't on the field for passing downs, in a passing league, then that player isn't worth almost 11M a season nor are they the best player on the field.  Hell, I know you agree as you're not even arguing the point you jumped in on.  You decided to pick and choose another area so you can......I don't know, feel good about yourself?  Speaking of which:

That's it?  You're going to compare 4 seasons of each of their careers are justify it with a few playoff games?  Amazing.  You really will reach huh?  But since you want to discuss:

In Williams' career as a 3-4 NT (4 seasons), he has 5.5 total sacks including playoffs

In Gregg's first 4 seasons as a 3-4 NT (to keep it even), he had 9.5 sacks.  For the record, I'm also including the entire 2008 season THAT GREGG DIDN'T PLAY DUE TO INJURY.  You can keep digging for ways to cherry pick things to prove your point since a fair comparison hurts your argument.  Three seasons of Greg almost doubles 4 seasons of Williams.  Four full seasons of Gregg actually does that.

But to repeat the main point again, I'll list it in two easy points:

1. In a passing league, if a player only plays 60% of the snaps, for any reason, that player is not worth almost 11M per season, in my opinion (and clearly many others), nor can they be considered the best player on the team

Side note, when I get home I'm going to look up that sack.  I don't remember it so I want to see if Williams simply made a good play or if the QB ran into him trying to escape someone else (or he fell and go touched down).  If it's anything but the former it'll be hilarious to me

Ofcourse it does not change your point.
Much easier then admit you are wrong lol.
Pretty sure why you have left it out in the first place praying nobody would notice.

either way though.
Gregg throught out his career avg about 2 sacks per season which is just 1 more then williams has been avg to this point.
Gregg first 4 years in the league are worse then williams first 4 years.
Gregg play off performance is horrible compared to Williams.
Gregg had much more talented players around him on defense and had guys like rex calling the plays.(different schemes)
Gregg also had a much much much worse offense to deal with which had him on the field for more plays.
Gregg first 2 seasons as a NT came in 2002 and 2003 age 26 and 27, his next 2 seasons where in 2006 and 2007 at age 30 and 31.
Williams turned 27 entering his 4th season.
Gregg also got subbed out just like pretty much every big man playing NT.

Highly doubt that 1 more sack per season with far lesser production in the play offs is a legit reason to say that gregg deserves 11 mil while williams does not.

Think majority would certainly take play off performance over 1 extra sack per season.

I know for a fact majority of the people are all about play off performances lol

 




 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Purple_City39 said:

As a follow up, I just looked for that play and can't find it anywhere on video.  So I'm not going to comment, or make guesses, as to how that play occured.

Does it matter?

Have you verified that all gregg sacks where him making a play all by himself and not something due to other players or a scheme specific blitz orso?

i mean if teams had to pick between double teaming ngata or gregg then the choice would be easy.
same with picking between guy/jernigan or williams for instance.

or lets say you have a DC that blitzes from everywhere like Rex compared to a DC like pees who relies on 4 man rushes with the occasional blitzer.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW Williams cap hit for this season is only 6 mil which is not to bad.
It will go up to 11 mil next season.

After that season if he plays poorly he can be cut post june saving almost 10 mil in cap space with only 2.5 mil in dead money for the next seasons.

1 season at 6 mil then 2 at 11 before he can become a cut casualty.

that people actually cry about this is beyond me...

Edited by Tru11
6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

BTW Williams cap hit for this season is only 6 mil which is not to bad.
It will go up to 11 mil next season.

After that season if he plays poorly he can be cut post june saving almost 10 mil in cap space with only 2.5 mil in dead money for the next seasons.

1 season at 6 mil then 1 at 11 before he can become a cut casualty.

that people actually cry about this is beyond me...

Didn't realize that.  Good job, Ozzie.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, redrum52 said:

Didn't realize that.  Good job, Ozzie.

its after the 2019 season though.
my bad on that.

after 2018 we can cut him without saving or losing any cap.

basicially a 3 year deal.
 

Edited by Tru11
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redrum52 said:

Still a good deal then in my eyes.

i dont see the issue either.

then again i care more about the structure of the contract and the cap hits per season.
 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

i dont see the issue either.

then again i care more about the structure of the contract and the cap hits per season.
 

 

the best kind of deals with team friendly cap hits but also make a player stinking rich

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't read the thread, but can someone just answer this one question for me?

Is Brandon Williams going to get the Flacco treatment and get blamed for every failed signing for the next five years ?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

I didn't read the thread, but can someone just answer this one question for me?

Is Brandon Williams going to get the Flacco treatment and get blamed for every failed signing for the next five years ?

I don't think so, I remember that the way his contract was structured was a little bit safer than Flacco's.

On 3/13/2017 at 6:27 PM, Tru11 said:

BTW Williams cap hit for this season is only 6 mil which is not to bad.
It will go up to 11 mil next season.

After that season if he plays poorly he can be cut post june saving almost 10 mil in cap space with only 2.5 mil in dead money for the next seasons.

1 season at 6 mil then 2 at 11 before he can become a cut casualty.

that people actually cry about this is beyond me...

On 3/13/2017 at 6:43 PM, Tru11 said:

its after the 2019 season though.
my bad on that.

after 2018 we can cut him without saving or losing any cap.

basicially a 3 year deal.
 

This is what I was looking for. Doesn't leave us in a bad situation if he starts to become a nuisance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, purpletide said:

I don't think so, I remember that the way his contract was structured was a little bit safer than Flacco's.

This is what I was looking for. Doesn't leave us in a bad situation if he starts to become a nuisance.

That doesn't matter, people will still complain. :) 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2017 at 2:27 PM, Purple_City39 said:

Well, clearly the Ravens will too.  But when praising someone as being the best on the team, I remove anyone that has to be removed during obvious passing situations........in a passing league.

Yes but he is the reason you can force those passing situations.  Instead of having to play run on 1st and 2nd down and being slightly more vulnerable to a passing play you can just trust Williams the line to hold up thus forcing those 3rd and longs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now