ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

Extended Brandon Williams

203 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Moderator 3 said:

Based on the reports we saw all day of a bidding war, I guess that's his market value.

Oh I get that - it's just I think it's too much and for that money I'd probably rather we moved on- I hope I'm proven wrong

52 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Correa is not an NFL player. It will become apparent when he bombs at ilb to. Run stuffers come a dime a dozen. We could of drafted DJ Jones who is a NT with rush skills. nearly $11mil. Per for a guy who leaves the field for passing downs. In a passing league. Terrible signing! It would be like paying a 2 down LB big money. Problem is in today's NFL everybody is throwing on early downs. This team is being ran into the ground. That money could have paid Zeitler. Or even Osemele. Something that pays dividends on several fronts. Your run game while helping your near $30mil/year

And Jefferson is going to get roasted by the athletic TE's like Gronk,Kelce and the guy in Cincinnati. He is a box safety. Arizona limited his responsibility. Their rush and secondary is really good. He runs like a 4.8 40. His limitations are going to show up early. And management will have to answer for this. Stuff the run but get roasted by the great offenses and QBs

Correa won the starting ILB spot until Zach Orr caught fire, and he did pretty well facing starters in preseason.

27 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

doan even preten to go there!

ok lets see, huff, elam, idwegebo,  kendric, traywic, webb, weddle am I missin anyone?

I doan even want to type about it makes my stomache hurt

Are you seriously calling Weddle a bust signing?

1 minute ago, ravensnick said:

Are you seriously calling Weddle a bust signing?

Props to you for being able to even ascertain that nonsense. 

I think when all is said and done, this is a very similar deal to what Snacks Harrison got last year and I think Brandon Williams is on that level. Sure, maybe we sunk a little bit too much money then we would have liked, but seriously, go read through the deals for today. Matt Khalil has been an awful offensive tackle for two straight years and he just earned himself a near identical contract to Williams. 

14 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Correa won the starting ILB spot until Zach Orr caught fire, and he did pretty well facing starters in preseason.

And it's not very surprising Correa didn't contribute that much last year. He was a very raw player, who also had to learn multiple position for a complicated Ravens defense. Ozzie knew that Correa might not be a day 1 starter, but if we can put 2 and 2 together, he has an upside as high as almost anyone in that draft class.

26 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

I'm not upset that he's back, our defense is better with him than without, but the question is whether it's $11M/yr better, I don't know. I guess losing Orr forced our hand, the best thing you can do for a first year starting ILB, and ILBs in general, is to plug up the middle and allow them to run free, I suppose that was the thinking.

base it on strictly watchin him. he started games strong but faded as the game went on. pierce played as well in the watchin and looked to have a bigger gas tank.  the more difficult u make it th e more stuk in quicsand you get. weve been gettin stuck a lot now.

1 hour ago, GrimCoconut said:

We lost Zach Orr to an injury retirement and he was our leading tackler.  There's a reason Ray Lewis wanted a big body up front to keep him clean in Haloti Ngata.  CJ Mosley will benefit from this move, and it is true that Williams must also step up as well.  Moving Correa inside means you absolutely have to keep that guy clean because he cannot disengage off of blocks, and having a massive body in Williams and a back-up in Pierce means you can rotate and keep them fresh.  I see this as a move that impacts various levels of the defense.  

Excellent points Grim.  I am glad Brandon is back and I thought this was going to happen because they were holding this to close to the vest. I hope they get Brandon some help inside (some of our other players need to step it up) with the double-teams because we need him to stay healthy.  At that price, he needs to last, lol!

24 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

I won't attempt to predict what happens this year with Correa but come on....Correa didn't win any starting ILB spot.

That is some fashion of odd revisionism.

12 minutes ago, ravensnick said:

I think when all is said and done, this is a very similar deal to what Snacks Harrison got last year and I think Brandon Williams is on that level. Sure, maybe we sunk a little bit too much money then we would have liked, but seriously, go read through the deals for today. Matt Khalil has been an awful offensive tackle for two straight years and he just earned himself a near identical contract to Williams. 

Damon Harrison is a notch above Brandon Williams. He logs more tackles and sacks. Harrison turned around a Giants defense and the team he left got much worse on defense. I am not so sure that would have been the same case with Williams. He would make most teams better on defense, but I don't think the Ravens would have fallen off that much without him. We were all dreading the day Ngata left and we found Williams to replace him.

1 minute ago, Edgar said:

I won't attempt to predict what happens this year with Correa but come on....Correa didn't win any starting ILB spot.

Yeah, he wasn't even in the conversation at MLB. It was Orr's job to lose and he never lost it.

2 minutes ago, Edgar said:

He was practicing with the starters for a while. That's not revisionism.

Edited by ravensnick

1 minute ago, ravensnick said:

" Correa won the ILB spot....."

Patently untrue. He was taking first team reps for a few weeks...Orr won the spot.

In fact, Correa was behind McClellan  ultimately.

10 minutes ago, ravensnick said:

That holds true for every player on the roster. Even the practice squad guys "practice with the starters."

Maybe in minicamp he was going with the ones but that is when he got into scuffle with Dennis Pitta and Pitta broke his thumb. He made more news with his antics than his play. When he finally did suit up he was a special teamer and then he got in on a few snaps and the one play that came right to him he dropped.

So if we don't resign him people on here will complain that we keep letting our home grown talent players walk....

We resign him and people are going to complain we paid too much

How many people on here have been complaining we let ko walk? I bet it's the same People complaining about this deal

1 minute ago, usmccharles said:

So if we don't resign him people on here will complain that we keep letting our home grown talent players walk....

How many people on here have been complaining we let ko walk? I bet it's the same People complaining about this deal

Your exactly right. 👍

13 minutes ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

Damon Harrison is a notch above Brandon Williams. He logs more tackles and sacks. Harrison turned around a Giants defense and the team he left got much worse on defense. I am not so sure that would have been the same case with Williams. He would make most teams better on defense, but I don't think the Ravens would have fallen off that much without him. We were all dreading the day Ngata left and we found Williams to replace him.

Ngata and Williams play totally two different position though. Even though  Haloti  Ngata played NT in 2013  The Raven had  a entire 2013 season to see Brandon Williams in practice  and get a feel on what type of player he could be . It obviously was enough because it eventually lead to Ngata returning back to playing as a  defensive end and Brandon Williams starting at NT. I said this before but what Williams brings to The Ravens is more than  a two down player but this guy brings leadership in the locker room and is the type of guy you want on your battle ship when things get rocky.  

3 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Didn't complain at all about KO walking, there were other forces at play there, based on what he said when he left he wanted out, but even before that stuff came out I didn't complain that he was offered more than we could match, as a Raven fan you sort of have to get used to that. But I think it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that there is no middle ground between letting him walk and overpaying. 

Edited by hn68wb4

4 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

Didn't complain at all about KO walking, there were other forces at play there, based on what he said when he left he wanted out. But I think it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that there is no middle ground between letting him walk and overpaying. 

Well the consensus on here... There reefer is a middle ground. At some point you have to pay players... We chose to pay Williams and he should anchor a defense that is improved already.

Obviously I'd rather pay him 6mill a year, it's not how tis works though. 

But if you didn't complain about ko... What makes it out think I'm talking about you?

Edited by usmccharles

4 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Well the consensus on here... There reefer is a middle ground. At some point you have to pay players... We chose to pay Williams and he should anchor a defense that is improved already.

Obviously I'd rather pay him 6mill a year, it's not how tis works though. 

But if you didn't complain about ko... What makes it out think I'm talking about you?

Just felt compelled to respond to a generalized statement about an entire side of the argument. You pretty much painted me into the corner of unreasonable because I think we overpaid for BWill. I don't object to the idea that once in a while we have to pay some of our developed players, but, again, I think where one side is going to one extreme you're sort of going to the other - as in, I don't think anyone is suggesting we could have paid $6M and kept him, of course he was more than that, but you have to draw the line somewhere. For me that line was $9.5M, which I feel is a very reasonable ceiling to have, everyone here loves BWill but we do have to acknowledge his shortcomings as a player, the guy can't pass rush at all, and for me you don't pay a Dlineman that isn't very well rounded $11M/yr. You're making it seem as though on this side of the argument thinks that we overpayed by almost double when in reality it's more along the lines of $1-1.5M.

2 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

Just felt compelled to respond to a generalized statement about an entire side of the argument. You pretty much painted me into the corner of unreasonable because I think we overpaid for BWill. I don't object to the idea that once in a while we have to pay some of our developed players, but, again, I think where one side is going to one extreme you're sort of going to the other - as in, I don't think anyone is suggesting we could have paid $6M and kept him, of course he was more than that, but you have to draw the line somewhere. For me that line was $9.5M, which I feel is a very reasonable ceiling to have, everyone here loves BWill but we do have to acknowledge his shortcomings as a player, the guy can't pass rush at all, and for me you don't pay a Dlineman that isn't very well rounded $11M/yr. You're making it seem as though on this side of the argument thinks that we overpayed by almost double when in reality it's more along the lines of $1-1.5M.

I think we overpaid as well... But I'm OK giving another mill or so to keep a player that could definitely make more money else where and is a vital part of our defense.   You have been on here long enough to know what I was implying.  I shouldn't have been literal, that's my bad. 

And actually I did see someone on here say something about 6mill a year.  Yes I did generalize it but merely pointing out that fans on either side are going to complain we did wrong. 

What if we went to a 4-3 D more often and had Williams and Pierce as DTs...with Jernigan and whomever steps up at DE. That would be beastly and we wouldn't have to rely on our lack of legit OLB pass rushers...

Just a thought...

Stopping the run has historically been the Ravens priority on defense. I mean Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, Haloti Ngata are the guys who come to mind. If you can't stop the run then you're going to be in trouble against the pass no matter how good your secondary is. The Ravens would've taken a huge step back on defense if Jernigan and others carried their play onto next season, they need someone to step up before letting go of BW and no one stepped up to the plate. 

1 hour ago, RayRayRaven said:

base it on strictly watchin him. he started games strong but faded as the game went on. pierce played as well in the watchin and looked to have a bigger gas tank.  the more difficult u make it th e more stuk in quicsand you get. weve been gettin stuck a lot now.

Please. God. Learn. English. 

32 minutes ago, AnthonyGames said:

What if we went to a 4-3 D more often and had Williams and Pierce as DTs...with Jernigan and whomever steps up at DE. That would be beastly and we wouldn't have to rely on our lack of legit OLB pass rushers...

Just a thought...

We'd be short on ends who can rush off the edge and short on LBs that can cover. Our 2 DTs wouldn't be much off a threat as pass rushers either.

4 minutes ago, Jonah DeVito said:

Please. God. Learn. English. 

Keep preachin... Keep getting ignored

What if we used that money to try and sign DB Stephan Gilmore from Buffalo. We'd have Smith, Gilmore, Young, as well as Weddle and Jefferson. We wouldn't have to use a high draft pick on CB. 

Pierce and Carl Davis playing NT instead...

1 hour ago, usmccharles said:

Come on dude. Nobody here wanted to keep a one dimensional NT for that kind of money. A guy who leaves the field for passing downs in a passing league. Don't try to make it look like people complaining about letting our offensive lineman walk wanted to throw all that money at Brandon Williams. Because it isn't even close to being true.You yourself said Wagner was more important. I guess you changed your mind after Williams was signed?

Of the players we lost. This is where management finally decides to pay market value? To a one dimensional NT that comes a dime a dozen. Most teams don't even use a one dimensional NT. Why not pay a 2 down run stuffing LB top money? That is what everybody is complaining about

Edited by PurpleHorseman

2 hours ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

in 5 seasons harrison has 4 sacks with 2,5 coming as a DT in the 4-3.
in 4 seasons b.williams has 5,5 sacks as a 3-4 NT.

TBH if you compare williams 4 years as a NT to harrison 4 years as a NT with the jets then williams edges out....

also id say that landon collins and signing janoris jenkins while drafting a guy like eli apple played a pretty big role as well.
that JPP fella being a year removed from him hand injury also helped out i guess....