ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

Extended Brandon Williams

203 posts in this topic

Ravens re-signed B.Williams said to be 5 yrs 54 million whoohooo

Edited by ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

not to be a downer coz i love brandon and im glad he's back but that contract is stupidly insane - nearly 11mill for a run stuffing nose tackle with more than half guaranteed...

Wow 10/yr for NT. Just wow I love Brandon Williams but seriously he's not Ngata in his prime!   

That could have been Alshon jeffrey!  With Pierce stepping in and hope C.Davis mans up. 

For a guy who plays 60% of the snaps and has almost no impact against the pass? His run-stuffing presence also got worse last year. Not a fan at all of this

You better step up big time Brandon

Edited by ravefan52

Just now, rossihunter2 said:

not to be a downer coz i love brandon and im glad he's back but that contract is stupidly insane - nearly 11mill for a run stuffing nose tackle with more than half guaranteed...

Yeah I'm with you. We all love Williams but my gosh that's a lot for a NT. What are they gonna do if Jernigan has a Pro Bowl year next year. Let him walk a presume. 

Just now, jdynamite said:

Yeah I'm with you. We all love Williams but my gosh that's a lot for a NT. What are they gonna do if Jernigan has a Pro Bowl year next year. Let him walk a presume. 

he will magically transform into a 3rd round comp pick

Games are won in the trenches and this guy takes on 2 blockers a lot. He may not be a pass rusher but that's why you have DE /OLB and it will be up to them to get to the QB Brandon is going to be paid to clog the middle. Good signing.

We lost Zach Orr to an injury retirement and he was our leading tackler.  There's a reason Ray Lewis wanted a big body up front to keep him clean in Haloti Ngata.  CJ Mosley will benefit from this move, and it is true that Williams must also step up as well.  Moving Correa inside means you absolutely have to keep that guy clean because he cannot disengage off of blocks, and having a massive body in Williams and a back-up in Pierce means you can rotate and keep them fresh.  I see this as a move that impacts various levels of the defense.  

1 minute ago, GrimCoconut said:

I see this as a move that impacts various levels of the defense.  

I was initially rough on bringing Williams back because he faded down the stretch, but you have to consider also that the entire front seven faded with him. Coincidence? No, it's really not.

I also want to see the Ravens put him in more situations to be a one gap player that can knife gaps. I think Williams has some underrated quickness and if he shed 10-15 pounds, he might be able to slice in there and generate some pressure from the interior.

1 minute ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I was initially rough on bringing Williams back because he faded down the stretch, but you have to consider also that the entire front seven faded with him. Coincidence? No, it's really not.

I also want to see the Ravens put him in more situations to be a one gap player that can knife gaps. I think Williams has some underrated quickness and if he shed 10-15 pounds, he might be able to slice in there and generate some pressure from the interior.

Yep. I absolutely agree with this.  What he really needs is about 50 lbs of quick-twitch muscle, too.  

39 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

Based on the reports we saw all day of a bidding war, I guess that's his market value.

I like Williams, but not for that price. I think we could have significantly upgraded multiple other positions with that money and had been fine with other DT options. Now there's no money for the offense and we've have lost our best WR, a top 5 RT and the best FB in the league. Oh, and remember historically terrible the offense was? Oh yeah, and isn't this a stacked defensive draft class and weak offensive class? I just can't get behind this

2 minutes ago, GrimCoconut said:

We lost Zach Orr to an injury retirement and he was our leading tackler.  There's a reason Ray Lewis wanted a big body up front to keep him clean in Haloti Ngata.  CJ Mosley will benefit from this move, and it is true that Williams must also step up as well.  Moving Correa inside means you absolutely have to keep that guy clean because he cannot disengage off of blocks, and having a massive body in Williams and a back-up in Pierce means you can rotate and keep them fresh.  I see this as a move that impacts various levels of the defense.  

Correa is not an NFL player. It will become apparent when he bombs at ilb to. Run stuffers come a dime a dozen. We could of drafted DJ Jones who is a NT with rush skills. nearly $11mil. Per for a guy who leaves the field for passing downs. In a passing league. Terrible signing! It would be like paying a 2 down LB big money. Problem is in today's NFL everybody is throwing on early downs. This team is being ran into the ground. That money could have paid Zeitler. Or even Osemele. Something that pays dividends on several fronts. Your run game while helping your near $30mil/year

And Jefferson is going to get roasted by the athletic TE's like Gronk,Kelce and the guy in Cincinnati. He is a box safety. Arizona limited his responsibility. Their rush and secondary is really good. He runs like a 4.8 40. His limitations are going to show up early. And management will have to answer for this. Stuff the run but get roasted by the great offenses and QBs

4 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

And Jefferson is going to get roasted by the athletic TE's like Gronk,Kelce and the guy in Cincinnati. He is a box safety. Arizona limited his responsibility. Their rush and secondary is really good. He runs like a 4.8 40. His limitations are going to show up early. And management will have to answer for this. Stuff the run but get roasted by the great offenses and QBs

they already are we have botched safety choices for at least 5 yrs now

18 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

this is a bad move. pierce was mor than adaquate. we paid to much for to little. its what we do now.

11 minutes ago, ravefan52 said:

I like Williams, but not for that price. I think we could have significantly upgraded multiple other positions with that money and had been fine with other DT options. Now there's no money for the offense and we've have lost our best WR, a top 5 RT and the best FB in the league. Oh, and remember historically terrible the offense was? Oh yeah, and isn't this a stacked defensive draft class and weak offensive class? I just can't get behind this

we culd have let Williams walk. we faded down the stretch facin tougher teams. Williams is russ Maryland. not a 4 qtr player

The majority of the top teams in the NFL in terms of points per game allowed also had a very strong run defense. 

A few exceptions were teams like KC or Denver that had an extremely good secondary that's pretty much in the upper echelon of the league by a good bit.

On the flip side, most of the teams that were extremely poor against the run were also extremely poor in terms of points allowed.

Stopping the run is still really relevant in today's NFL.

5 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

they already are we have botched safety choices for at least 5 yrs now

lol wut they signed the best safety in the league last offseason 

23 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Maybe The Ravens new strength and conditioning coach will help .

3 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

The majority of the top teams in the NFL in terms of points per game allowed also had a very strong run defense. 

A few exceptions were teams like KC or Denver that had an extremely good secondary that's pretty much in the upper echelon of the league by a good bit.

On the flip side, most of the teams that were extremely poor against the run were also extremely poor in terms of points allowed.

Stopping the run is still really relevant in today's NFL.

Relevant but everybody knows you have to stop the great QBs to win. The great offenses don't need a run game to set up the air attack. Arizona has a great defense but no threat for a championship because the offense.

Not the idea situation but with the cap rising every year and no big contacts expected in the next few years (only Mosley) it won't hurt that bad. That's the way I see it anyway... At least we can see a sense of urgency from the FO trying to improve the team. I like it as long as we start making moves for the offensive side.  Anyone know how our cap situation looks? 

8 minutes ago, Cville-Raven said:

lol wut they signed the best safety in the league last offseason 

wow

to be played a max vlume and resolutesion

pro bolwer

Nobody here wanted to throw money at Williams. We all wanted him back on a cheap contract on par with limited run stuffers. But after we overpay him everybody is saying it is a great move. What is the point of our discussions if we all are going to applaud every move? I said $6mil per for him. And I'm not changing my opinion and talking myself into liking it because we overpaid.

1 minute ago, RayRayRaven said:

wow

to be played a max vlume and resolutesion

pro bolwer

El oh el, is that really you're reasoning. Ed Reed gave up his fair share of big plays. I guess he wasn't good.

4 minutes ago, Cville-Raven said:

El oh el, is that really you're reasoning. Ed Reed gave up his fair share of big plays. I guess he wasn't good.

doan even preten to go there!

ok lets see, huff, elam, idwegebo,  kendric, traywic, webb, weddle am I missin anyone?

I doan even want to type about it makes my stomache hurt

This thread is pretty much a downvote party. I don't think it's an untrue statement to say we overpaid for a player that we honestly could have moved on from.

1 minute ago, hn68wb4 said:

This thread is pretty much a downvote party. I don't think it's an untrue statement to say we overpaid for a player that we honestly could have moved on from.

I actually wonder how well the defense would have performed without him. 

Just now, trevorsteadman said:

I actually wonder how well the defense would have performed without him. 

I'm not upset that he's back, our defense is better with him than without, but the question is whether it's $11M/yr better, I don't know. I guess losing Orr forced our hand, the best thing you can do for a first year starting ILB, and ILBs in general, is to plug up the middle and allow them to run free, I suppose that was the thinking.

46 minutes ago, Moderator 3 said:

Based on the reports we saw all day of a bidding war, I guess that's his market value.

Market value ought to suppose outstanding production going forward. 

You don't just shrug your shoulders and say, " a NT costs what a NT costs..."

You don't pay him if you're not convinced he will earn it and then some.