BR News

[News] Late For Work 3/9: What To Make Of Tony Jefferson, Danny Woodhead News

44 posts in this topic

Eric Weddle, the recruiter. Danny Woodhead can be Joe Flacco’s best friend. Ravens still in the mix for defensive tackle Brandon Williams. Reaction to big contracts for Kyle Juszczyk and Rick Wagner. Elvis Dumervil not expected to return.

View the full article

Jefferson could be the best move for the Ravens this off season. I'm so happy we finally landed a top teir player in FA.

Woodhead is a player that Iv always respected and liked. He's 32 coming off an ACL so I'm sceptical to see the numbers before I get too excited.

juice Doom and Wagner. Thank you for some great years in Bmore. Best of luck except against the Ravens.

I honestly hoped we'd get something in return for Doom and Webb instead of just flat out cutting them. But again, were probably not getting more than a 6th or 7th so let them go wherever they want and hope other vet FAs pick up on how classy this organization is with vets.

does anyone know if Jefferson and Woodhead count against the comp pick formula?

also, theoretically speaking can the Ravens retract any of the tenders they placed on players? 

Edited by Halshayeji

I want to see the #s for Jefferson's deal before I get all excited. I like the player and I know how PFF has him graded but I can't help but feel like something is off or missing here. I know he graded well in coverage but the splash plays apart from being a blitzer aren't there for his career. Two career interceptions, which is one more than all-time bust Matt Elam had in his career, and Jefferson was actually on the field way more than Elam. I seem to remember a lot of people excited about signing Kendrick Lewis after coming off of his career year in Houston... So again, I like the pick up but forgive me for not proclaiming our secondary "fixed" as some of you are.

With the Woodhead signing, the Ravens may be "done" with the traditional fullback position as well which saddens me from a nostalgia standpoint (I used to love watching guys like Mike Alstott and Mack Strong). We have the fewest # of draft picks we've had in years and a lot of needs, why use one on the FSU kid when Woodhead is essentially filling the same role Juice did minus the blocking?

29 minutes ago, Halshayeji said:

Jefferson could be the best move for the Ravens this off season. I'm so happy we finally landed a top teir player in FA.

Woodhead is a player that Iv always respected and liked. He's 32 coming off an ACL so I'm sceptical to see the numbers before I get too excited.

juice Doom and Wagner. Thank you for some great years in Bmore. Best of luck except against the Ravens.

does anyone know if Jefferson and Woodhead count against the comp pick formula?

also, theoretically speaking can the Ravens retract any of the tenders they placed on players? 

Most likely, you don't get a player like Jefferson for cheap.

In other news, Baltimore eschews a #1 receiver for another check-down target for Flacco in Woodhead. Looks to be a good offense consisting of constant 3-and-outs with garbage passes of 2 and 3 yards.

\Sarcasm

Who knows, maybe they'll draft a quality receiver instead. We all know Ozzie is amazing at the draft and his receiver drafts are always top notch.

/sarcasm

Be prepped for lots of drops, and defenses playing press coverage against a team with no true #1 receiver... or real threat in the slot for that matter. Somebody phone Wes Welker, see if he still wants to play.

Edited by llxxGrimxxll
bad@grammar

6 minutes ago, Corvus said:

I want to see the #s for Jefferson's deal before I get all excited. I like the player and I know how PFF has him graded but I can't help but feel like something is off or missing here. I know he graded well in coverage but the splash plays apart from being a blitzer aren't there for his career. Two career interceptions, which is one more than all-time bust Matt Elam had in his career, and Jefferson was actually on the field way more than Elam. I seem to remember a lot of people excited about signing Kendrick Lewis after coming off of his career year in Houston... So again, I like the pick up but forgive me for not proclaiming our secondary "fixed" as some of you are.

With the Woodhead signing, the Ravens may be "done" with the traditional fullback position as well which saddens me from a nostalgia standpoint (I used to love watching guys like Mike Alstott and Mack Strong). We have the fewest # of draft picks we've had in years and a lot of needs, why use one on the FSU kid when Woodhead is essentially filling the same role Juice did minus the blocking?

There's still a chance they could grab VT FB Sam Rogers in the  later rounds. 

Also I want to see Jefferson's and Woodhead's contract numbers as well... 

I love Weddle's commitment to the Ravens organization. He's all in body and soul and that's what makes a true Raven imho.

26 minutes ago, Corvus said:

I want to see the #s for Jefferson's deal before I get all excited.

I want to see the deal signed before I get too excited...

28 minutes ago, llxxGrimxxll said:

Most likely, you don't get a player like Jefferson for cheap.

In other news, Baltimore eschews a #1 receiver for another check-down target for Flacco in Woodhead. Looks to be a good offense consisting of constant 3-and-outs with garbage passes of 2 and 3 yards.

\Sarcasm

Who knows, maybe they'll draft a quality receiver instead. We all know Ozzie is amazing at the draft and his receiver drafts are always top notch.

/sarcasm

Be prepped for lots of drops, and defenses playing press coverage against a team with no true #1 receiver... or real threat in the slot for that matter. Somebody phone Wes Welker, see if he still wants to play.

You are grim

Assuming we get a good replacement for Wagner, the offense will be fine. Forget it, this team's defensive needs are staggering.
Jefferson is a great first step. Pay Williams whatever he wants,,,,,he makes everyone around him a better player while eating 2 blockers and closing up the middle of the defense. if we don't resign Williams this team will be lucky to finish 8-8. He is a freakish talent that can not be replaced. Give him a 10 year deal for 80 million..........or whatever.
Last year the defensive front seven was one of the deepest and most talented in the NFL and won a lot of games for us. The secondary let us down especially when the china doll ( Jimmy Smith) exited for his regular stint at polishing the pine. Also accept that Suggs is done...no longer a dominant player and now barely effective. Cut or trade Suggs and Smith. Arrington and Wright were appropriately cut as should be Dumervil and Webb.
Getting rid of these players leaves a lot of holes as does the loss of Orr.
We need 2 top tier corners.
We need a bad butt middle lb to play with Mosely
We need 2 top tier corners to play with Young.
We need 4-5 DL/LB to play with Pierce, Jernigan and Guy.
We have to assume Corriea and Kafusi are busts along with Davis.
Z Smith should be given a chance to show he can dominate or be let go.
To fix this team Flacco needs to restructure,,,,,,,,,if he doesn't cut him and go with Mallett...he can get us to 8-8 at 10% of the price.

Last year the defensive front seven was one of the deepest and most talented in the NFL and won a lot of games for us. The secondary let us down especially when the china doll ( Jimmy Smith) exited for his regular stint at polishing the pine. Also accept that Suggs is done...no longer a dominant player and now barely effective. Cut or trade Suggs and Smith. Arrington and Wright were appropriately cut as should be Dumervil and Webb. 

8 sacks, 35 tackles and 3 forced fumbles is "barely effective" for Suggs now? Only just a year after season-ending injuries?

If we resign Williams I will be beyond stoked. That would be a home run. Gain an enforcer at safety and keep our run game wrecker. We can go into the draft ready to create a top 5 defense

Torrey Smith has said he is signing with the Eagles.  3 years 15 mil.  Overpaid after two lackluster years.

Edited by fusuymada

Webb needs to be let go, period. Flacco needs to be put on notice. Right now we got no game. When we clean house this time, it should include many big names who were once okay but now not so much...another season like we been having is unacceptable.

Assuming we get a good replacement for Wagner, the offense will be fine. Forget it, this team's defensive needs are staggering.
Jefferson is a great first step. Pay Williams whatever he wants,,,,,he makes everyone around him a better player while eating 2 blockers and closing up the middle of the defense. if we don't resign Williams this team will be lucky to finish 8-8. He is a freakish talent that can not be replaced. Give him a 10 year deal for 80 million..........or whatever.
To fix this team Flacco needs to restructure,,,,,,,,,if he doesn't cut him and go with Mallett...he can get us to 8-8 at 10% of the price.

The majority of what you have said is either impossible, inaccurate, or unrealistic and sometimes all three. What is the point of posting such an unfeasible agenda for the offseason? On another note, I think you should set up a time to grab a few cold ones with Chuckx99 at some point. You guys seem to be on the same page. There is no doubt in my mind that the two of you would get along famously.

Webb needs to be let go, period. Flacco needs to be put on notice. Right now we got no game. When we clean house this time, it should include many big names who were once okay but now not so much...another season like we been having is unacceptable.

1. Webb will be cut once we finalize the Jefferson deal.

2. Flacco is here for the next two years at a minimum, and likely much longer. That's set in stone. There's no notice to be given.

3. We're certainly not done cutting players, and there will be several "big names" on it probably, with Doom and Webb highlighting the class at this point.

But keep in mind that there is this thing called the salary cap, and you can't just cut anybody you want at any time without some cap ramifications.

Its why guys like Flacco, Suggs, Jimmy, etc. aren't on the list of considerations to be cut. Ignoring the fact that they shouldn't be cut, they're also not getting cut because it essentially costs the team more to make them go away then it is to keep them.

Again, you have no clue what you're talking about...

1. Williams isn't even on the field for roughly half of the defensive snaps. Which you probably don't know, because I don't think you watch the games.

2. Suggs is staying. He's more than good enough for what he gets paid.

3. Jimmy isn't getting traded or cut, because he's very clearly the MVP of this defense. What practically any game where he's on the field vs one's where he's not... the difference in the defense is staggering. Would have thought fans would have learned this after last season, but again, that would require them to watch games.

4. You're not getting two top tier corners because there aren't any available and they're too expensive, especially when a lot of the moves you advocated would cost us more cap space than create it.

5. Flacco can't restructure practically anything, because there's only $6M of his salary this season that is touchable. Again, you're wasting your time even talking about Flacco, because nothing is going to change there. Stop whining about it.

6. Mallett has shown nothing in actual games that he could lead even a good team to an 8-8 record. He played for a pretty talented team in Houston and went 2-4. He's a backup QB prototype.

25 minutes ago, drillem said:

Maybe and I'm sure many will agree with you but looking at our depth in the secondary and the fact that Webb can play both Safety and CB I would much rather negotiate a pay reduction and bring him back as a backup. Webb may not be as good as he was a few years ago but at least he is a consistent, solid player. He is also a true Raven and has a lot of experience in our system. Always been a team player, never complained and is active in the community. It's just my opinion but I say Webb retires a Raven.

Problem is, you can't just "pay Williams whatever he wants." There's this thing called the salary cap. The difficulty is figuring out how to spread that money while retaining top-tier talent and keeping people happy. This isn't the MLB.

31 minutes ago, drillem said:

Maybe and I'm sure many will agree with you but looking at our depth in the secondary and the fact that Webb can play both Safety and CB I would much rather negotiate a pay reduction and bring him back as a backup. Webb may not be as good as he was a few years ago but at least he is a consistent, solid player. He is also a true Raven and has a lot of experience in our system. Always been a team player, never complained and is active in the community. It's just my opinion but I say Webb retires a Raven.

He's due $5.5M, which we can clear all of that if they cut him. So if he's going to take a paycut, it would have to be a heck of a paycut, because asking him to shave $1-2M isn't probably worth it.

He'd literally have to take like a $3-4M paycut in my eyes, and he can easily get more than that on the open market as a Safety or a Corner.

If the Jefferson deal goes through, I see no way he's on the roster. I like the idea of depth, but not at $3-4M a year for a backup safety I don't. I doubt they would view him as anything better than the 4th or 5th corner either.

19 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

3. Jimmy isn't getting traded or cut, because he's very clearly the MVP of this defense. What practically any game where he's on the field vs one's where he's not... the difference in the defense is staggering. Would have thought fans would have learned this after last season, but again, that would require them to watch games.

So painfully obvious I don't understand why people continue to complain. I know that jimmy gets hurt a lot but the difference on defense when he is playing compared to when he is out is undeniable. That Giants game last year should have shown fans the truth. He shut down Odell in the first half, then was out for the second half and Beckham went off on us. Night and day. Jimmy stays healthy last year and we would have probably won the division. He is that big of a difference maker. And we definitely could have used him to cover dez in dallas the following week. 

Edited by ByTheBay

1 hour ago, huntrgathrr said:

Problem is, you can't just "pay Williams whatever he wants." There's this thing called the salary cap. The difficulty is figuring out how to spread that money while retaining top-tier talent and keeping people happy. This isn't the MLB.

Apparently run stopping NTs who play half of the defensive snaps win SBs for you...

The majority of what you have said is either impossible, inaccurate, or unrealistic and sometimes all three. What is the point of posting such an unfeasible agenda for the offseason? On another note, I think you should set up a time to grab a few cold ones with Chuckx99 at some point. You guys seem to be on the same page. There is no doubt in my mind that the two of you would get along famously.

LOL

7 minutes ago, metalraven said:

Apparently run stopping NTs who play half of the defensive snaps win SBs for you...

Huh?

10 minutes ago, metalraven said:

NM - took me a sec. lol

2 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

He's due $5.5M, which we can clear all of that if they cut him. So if he's going to take a paycut, it would have to be a heck of a paycut, because asking him to shave $1-2M isn't probably worth it.

He'd literally have to take like a $3-4M paycut in my eyes, and he can easily get more than that on the open market as a Safety or a Corner.

If the Jefferson deal goes through, I see no way he's on the roster. I like the idea of depth, but not at $3-4M a year for a backup safety I don't. I doubt they would view him as anything better than the 4th or 5th corner either.

I see your point but the only problem is that our secondary depth has been a joke and maybe paying him 1-2 mil less would be worth it even if just to have somebody reliable step in. Who is left on our roster? Canady, Huff and .... did we resign levine? I seriously dont know who is left after we make cuts and whoever it is are they worth letting webb go? When Jimmy misses a couple games next season who will stop the bleeding? Shift young to cb with s help like last year. There is still value in keeping webb 

7 minutes ago, metalraven said:

NM - took me a sec. lol

46 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

I see your point but the only problem is that our secondary depth has been a joke and maybe paying him 1-2 mil less would be worth it even if just to have somebody reliable step in. Who is left on our roster? Canady, Huff and .... did we resign levine? I seriously dont know who is left after we make cuts and whoever it is are they worth letting webb go? When Jimmy misses a couple games next season who will stop the bleeding? Shift young to cb with s help like last year. There is still value in keeping webb 

The draft would be the answer to most of those questions. FA is just the beginning of adding players, not the end.

We still want youth at Safety and Corner, and I fully expect us to consider to address both in FA and especially the draft.

2 hours ago, huntrgathrr said:

I agree Williams is an absolute beast in the middle and I hope we can keep him but if he walks I think our run D will still be solid and honestly think a couple more good FA and a good draft could make this D a very very dominant one. . Pierce although not on Williams level seems to be an undrafted gem.....Guy is a FA but I do like our D line depth and I see Jernigan as an up n coming stud. I do however disagree saying this early that Corriea and Kafusi are already busts. Kafusi was on IR from the get go and Corriea had a very hard task of having to learn multiple positions at once as a rookie.....This yr we will get to see what he's made of as I see him being able to zone in on one position n the chance to be starter next to Mosley. Also agree that finding 2 long term solid CBs to solidify our secondary is priority (have 1 shutdown CB in Smith till he leaves the field n we get torched so we need depth) and then Young looks like he can hold down the starting slot. I hope they draft one RD 1 or 2 and  also pick up a top tier FA. My biggest worry of all tho is potentially not having a good  enough pass rush cuz an elite QB will shred our secondary apart regardless of who we find to put back there if we cant. I do have to say I STRONGLY disagree about your Suggs and Flacco being cut suggestion tho. Suggs when healthy is still a very good  player who basically excels in every area of the game as well as being a leader...... If he stays healthy mark my words he will still put up 10+ sacks and as always be among the best OLB stopping the run. And lastly I don't know why so many people have such a hard time realizing we are in a far better position than roughly half NFL teams paying Flacco 20 mill a yr and having a franchise QB rather than scrambling for QB solutions year in and year out wasting draft picks. Im not saying Flacco is one of the best but if he's surrounded with the right pieces hes one of maybe 12 or so QBs who even possess the ability to win a Super Bowl (as history has shown). I promise you Mallet doesn't win a Bowl in 2012 or win anywhere close to the 10 playoff wins Flacco has amassed. I'll admit the regular season can get pretty ugly at times but hey they call him January Joe for a reason. Let's be real here they haven't exactly brought him stud receivers or a consistent rushing attack. I don't miss the Kyle Boller days I can tell you that lol. This team isnt very far from being a contender again...A dynamic playmaking WR would be a start and of course shoring up the o-line.