rmw10

Ravens sign S Tony Jefferson

202 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, berad said:

What makes you think he is that slow? His 4 year old 40 time?

Do you have any game clips where it is an issue?

 4.64 forty is all that I need to show that he is a pretty slow safety comparatively in the NFL to other S's. I never brought up about his game film. I'm sure the Ravens FO know that and know he is better suited as a in the box S. 

Edit: Someone posted earlier that his 40 was a 4.75. He actually ran an official 4.64

Edited by Ravens4Real
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

 4.75 forty is all that I need to show that he is a pretty slow safety comparatively in the NFL to other S's. I never brought up about his game film. I'm sure the Ravens FO know that and know he is better suited as a in the box S. 

The combine is probably one of the worst things to go off of. 

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, berad said:

What makes you think he is that slow? His 4 year old 40 time?

Do you have any game clips where it is an issue?

Hey, didn't you know that players frequently get into a track stance and run 40 yards in a straight line in no pads. It's all the rage.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BmoreBird22 said:

The combine is probably one of the worst things to go off of. 

I agree in most cases. But I don't know how you can argue against a 40 and a guys top end speed. It's pretty cut and dry. 

All I am saying is that Weddle is the preferred center fielder now in this current S group we have. It's not a knock on Jefferson.

Id much rather have Weddle back their guarding AJ Green or a M Bryant.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

I agree in most cases. But I don't know how you can argue against a 40 and a guys top end speed. It's pretty cut and dry. 

All I am saying is that Weddle is the preferred center fielder now in this current S group we have. It's not a knock on Jefferson.

Id much rather have Weddle back their guarding AJ Green or a M Bryant.

They get into a track stance and run 40 yards in a straight line with no pads on. It's all trained.

Plus, it starts on first movement, so if he twitches slightly, that clock goes. 

Horrible measure.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ravens4Real said:

 4.75 forty is all that I need to show that he is a pretty slow safety comparatively in the NFL to other S's. I never brought up about his game film. I'm sure the Ravens FO know that and know he is better suited as a in the box S. 

Ed Reed ran a 4.57, that's below average too.

Not saying Jefferson is a speedster by any regards but I was digging for actual instances that it was a problem in his career. His 40 time just shows us that he won't be the closing leg of the office relay team.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, berad said:

Ed Reed ran a 4.57, that's below average too.

Not saying Jefferson is a speedster by any regards but I was digging for actual instances that it was a problem in his career. His 40 time just shows us that he won't be the closing leg of the office relay team.

Yeah, I'm just going to end the argument at comparing Tony Jefferson to Ed Reed.

Its a matter of opinions anyways.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ravens4Real said:

Yeah, I'm just going to end the argument at comparing Tony Jefferson to Ed Reed.

Its a matter of opinions anyways.

Didn't compare so let's not jump down the hyperbole hole. Just showing that a 40 time isn't a flawless metric.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

I agree in most cases. But I don't know how you can argue against a 40 and a guys top end speed. It's pretty cut and dry. 

All I am saying is that Weddle is the preferred center fielder now in this current S group we have. It's not a knock on Jefferson.

Id much rather have Weddle back their guarding AJ Green or a M Bryant.

WRs and rbs in the open field are the only players that truly run straight sprints, safeties backpedal and run laterally far more often and they aren't there to outrun people, they are there to read and get in position, Eric weddle certainly isn't fast and he was the top rated safety.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignoring the 40 yard dash time, look at film his last two years in Arizona. One of the most underrated players in the league. 

Theres athletes that make themselves good football players, then there are just good football players.

Jefferson is the latter.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

how many snaps have weddle and jefferson played together that they actually can already be put in the same league as 2 guys who have proved for quite some years now that they are the top safety pair?

all that i see here is that jefferson was pretty good as a SS in arizona while weddle was a beast as a SS here.
im actually quite curious if weddle still has the range to play center field cause that is about the last place i want to see jefferson line up lol

 

I'm not pinning them as the best duo in the NFL, but they're in the top bracket at this point, and that's difficult to argue against. Simply slapping Weddle with an SS label and judging his fit from there is a lackadaisical assessment, one that glazes over his usage on tape. He was utilized everywhere. Take the Eagles game for example. In the first half alone, he rotated between being the single-high, lining up side-by-side with Lardarius Webb 8-10 yards off the LOS, walking up toward the LOS, lining up as an edge blitzer, and manning up on WRs and TEs in the slot, where he spent over a handful of his snaps technically as a slot corner. His INT came at FS on a Cover 2 concept. He wasn't protected this season by any means, and he gave up just 13 catches all year. And it's not a position that is unfamiliar to him. I personally don't see his transition to FS as an issue.

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

Ignoring the 40 yard dash time, look at film his last two years in Arizona. One of the most underrated players in the league. 

Theres athletes that make themselves good football players, then there are just good football players.

Jefferson is the latter.

He has always been a very good athlete, he just doesn't have top end speed

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeffersons deal is 4 years for $36 million. That's a hefty chunk of change. What in the hell were the Browns offering him if we got him at $9 million per?!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

Jeffersons deal is 4 years for $36 million. That's a hefty chunk of change. What in the hell were the Browns offering him if we got him at $9 million per?!

If they offered a guard $12 million a year probably a lot...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

If they offered a guard $12 million a year probably a lot...

they said hed be the highest paid safety in the league which is 14 a year so 9 isnt so bad

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think the money would have been better spent on the OL or WR.  Hope the FO has a plan.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

If they offered a guard $12 million a year probably a lot...

And they apparently are paying a QB 16 mil that's going to be immediately cut. Expensive rd 2 pick. 

 

Love the Jefferson signing. He was one of my fave players in that draft and was very surprised he went I drafted. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waiting on the contract numbers to give my two cents on the signing. It went from "like it alright" to "just ok" for me. I've watched his highlights weeks ago when the rumors first started and read up on what PFF was seeing to grade him highly and I just don't see splash plays in coverage to justify that salary, especially since his pick six was literally thrown right at him. For that much, we should have just taken Webb's cap hit for the last year of his deal and drafted a couple of safety prospects to groom to start in 2018. So $9 million a year for a younger Bernard Pollard is basically what I see  But again, just my opinion. I'm not the one signing the checks and I hope he proves my doubts wrong this year. As it is, I'm a much bigger fan of the Woodhead signing especially with the news on Dixon.

-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ravens4Real said:

 4.64 forty is all that I need to show that he is a pretty slow safety comparatively in the NFL to other S's. I never brought up about his game film. I'm sure the Ravens FO know that and know he is better suited as a in the box S. 

Edit: Someone posted earlier that his 40 was a 4.75. He actually ran an official 4.64

didnt elam run a 4.4 or 4.5?  hmm

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Corvus said:

I was waiting on the contract numbers to give my two cents on the signing. It went from "like it alright" to "just ok" for me. I've watched his highlights weeks ago when the rumors first started and read up on what PFF was seeing to grade him highly and I just don't see splash plays in coverage to justify that salary, especially since his pick six was literally thrown right at him. For that much, we should have just taken Webb's cap hit for the last year of his deal and drafted a couple of safety prospects to groom to start in 2018. So $9 million a year for a younger Bernard Pollard is basically what I see  But again, just my opinion. I'm not the one signing the checks and I hope he proves my doubts wrong this year. As it is, I'm a much bigger fan of the Woodhead signing especially with the news on Dixon.

You need to watch players play, not their highlight reels. He's arguably the best in box safety in the league right now.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

You need to watch players play, not their highlight reels. He's arguably the best in box safety in the league right now.

Indeed he is. I was all for signing him and cutting Webb. I didn't think he'd be at 9mil per though. 

Says a lot to me that we sign an in box safety for 9, want to keep a 2 down no pass rush nose tackle at probably similar money and don't re sign a premier right tackle for 9.5 or make a play for someone like Tj lang, pierre garcon or someone.

They still build this roster like it's 2006 and teams run 35 times and pass 25 times a game.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SepticeyePoe said:

I don't know anything about him, is he good?

Is he??? He is a beast and can tackle like a linebacker.  Often injured because of his physical play style, however he plays through injuries.  Tough guy!!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SepticeyePoe said:

I don't know anything about him, is he good?

Is he??? He is a beast and can tackle like a linebacker.  Often injured because of his physical play style, however he plays through injuries.  Tough guy!!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, arnie_uk said:

Indeed he is. I was all for signing him and cutting Webb. I didn't think he'd be at 9mil per though. 

Says a lot to me that we sign an in box safety for 9, want to keep a 2 down no pass rush nose tackle at probably similar money and don't re sign a premier right tackle for 9.5 or make a play for someone like Tj lang, pierre garcon or someone.

They still build this roster like it's 2006 and teams run 35 times and pass 25 times a game.

I hope we unload couple more bad contracts and complement these signings through good draft. Both BW and Jefferson are young, coming into their prime - from that perspective I like both pick ups. Next FA will be loaded and we should have more comfortable cap space. We were never going to fix the roster this year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Virginia 55 said:

Is he??? He is a beast and can tackle like a linebacker.  Often injured because of his physical play style, however he plays through injuries.  Tough guy!!!!

Cool. I can't wait to see him play with Weddle.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ravensdan said:

And they apparently are paying a QB 16 mil that's going to be immediately cut. Expensive rd 2 pick. 

 

Love the Jefferson signing. He was one of my fave players in that draft and was very surprised he went I drafted. 

Not really they had over $100 million dollars in cap space and they earned a 2nd round pick. The cap rolls over and chances are they will have plenty to roll over into the next season as well. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, allblackraven said:

You need to watch players play, not their highlight reels. He's arguably the best in box safety in the league right now.

Do you have a Sunday Ticket account or something similar I can use then? Because I'm not getting paid to watch every game like PFF and you apparently.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, redrum52 said:

Pats game.  Weddle center field.  Td after biting on PA.

If I remember the play correctly he wasn't playing what I'd call center field. 

He was playing up near the slot... bit on the PA and his man got behind him. 

Center field imo is playing in single high coverage. 

 

Totally different scenarios. If he was playing center field he wouldn't be biting on PA fakes bc his job is to play over top. 

And even if he were to bite on a PA fake playing center field he'd have still been in decent position to defend that play bc he would've been lined up much deeper to begin with. 

 

Weddles still got range. And his instincts and pre snap reads are second to none in the game right now. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

If I remember the play correctly he wasn't playing what I'd call center field. 

He was playing up near the slot... bit on the PA and his man got behind him. 

Center field imo is playing in single high coverage. 

 

Totally different scenarios. If he was playing center field he wouldn't be biting on PA fakes bc his job is to play over top. 

And even if he were to bite on a PA fake playing center field he'd have still been in decent position to defend that play bc he would've been lined up much deeper to begin with. 

 

Weddles still got range. And his instincts and pre snap reads are second to none in the game right now. 

I honestly have no idea and I still blame Elam for the play. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now