rmw10

Ravens sign S Tony Jefferson

202 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, hen826957 said:

I still at least want them to get a corner in the first round. One of those top draft corners. 

Me too. I know they say the this draft is deep on CB's but let's get one of the best and with good safeties and Tavon in the slot, you line up a good corner with a healthy Jimmy on the other side and we won't need a "Von Miller" on the edge.

7 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

I hope we can get Melvin Ingram at this point if Weddle is recruiting people :P

If only weddle could've convinced bosa to not sign last year and come here 😆

Just now, JoeyFlex5 said:

If only weddle could've convinced bosa to not sign last year and come here 😆

I mean in all seriousness, I imagine a lot of those old San Diego players would not want to be chargers anymore right about now

2 hours ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Im not sold on this guy. 4.75 40. Surrounded by players with elite range in arizona. Weddle will be 33 come playoff time. Who is our rangy center fielder safety going to be? On a side not we talk about 33 in sports as if it is old lol. Well I guess in sports it is. Is this guy going to be trusted covering Gronk, Howard and Kelsey? I would prefer Zeitler or Terrell Pryor.

What do you think Webb ran last season? Webb isn't nearly as good or athletic or sturdy as jefferson

2 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

I mean in all seriousness, I imagine a lot of those old San Diego players would not want to be chargers anymore right about now

Weddle trying to get rivers as flacco s back up :P

19 minutes ago, bravensfan52 said:

Weddle trying to get rivers as flacco s back up :P

keenan allen asking for a trade

If this goes through, how can you not be excited? Just watched some videos on the guy. The highlights are impressive - as they should be - but more interesting is his passion for the game and leadership role on that defense.

Now, keep him of ST (where he hurt his MCL last season) and we'll be rolling!

Only sad part is that this probably means a Webb cut.

38 minutes ago, berad said:

If this goes through, how can you not be excited? Just watched some videos on the guy. The highlights are impressive - as they should be - but more interesting is his passion for the game and leadership role on that defense.

Now, keep him of ST (where he hurt his MCL last season) and we'll be rolling!

Only sad part is that this probably means a Webb cut.

we can ask him to play CB position with slight salary cap adjustment...

2 minutes ago, AsianRice said:

we can ask him to play CB position with slight salary cap adjustment...

Yeah or a role as a reserve but he's already accepted a paycut/restructure and a position change.

Is it asking too much of him? Will he balk?

Moving Webb to CB would be a mistake. He lost too much speed from injuries to still play CB. If he's okay with a pay cut he could be a great backup safety.

7 hours ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Not even close. Seattle by a landslide.

Safeties.jpg

Quantifying it as a landslide is hyperbolic.

50 minutes ago, -Truth- said:

Safeties.jpg

This is beautiful

2 hours ago, -Truth- said:

Safeties.jpg

undisputed...lol..

thanks for posting this...

Sad to see Webb let go, but Jefferson is a FANTASTIC signing. Webb played at a high level but the Ravens field 2 top 5 safeties now. With Jimmy Smith healthy it challenges the Seahawks and Patriots for best secondary. If the Ravens get Claiborne look out.

1 minute ago, trevorsteadman said:

Sad to see Webb let go, but Jefferson is a FANTASTIC signing. Webb played at a high level but the Ravens field 2 top 5 safeties now. With Jimmy Smith healthy it challenges the Seahawks and Patriots for best secondary. If the Ravens get Claiborne look out.

Where do you see Webb being released? 

3 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

Where do you see Webb being released? 

It was reported yesterday by NFL.com I believe. Got the notification on my phone. Probably won't go through until Jefferson signing. 

Just now, trevorsteadman said:

It was reported yesterday by NFL.com I believe. Got the notification on my phone. Probably won't go through until Jefferson signing. 

I think you mean Doom.

1 minute ago, ALI624 said:

I think you mean Doom.

Nope I do not mean Dumervil. Both were released as of yesterday. I will try to find the notification on my phone and send it here.

I no longer have the notification but yesterday I read that multiple sources via NFL.com said that Lardarius Webb would be cut. When I read it I was sad because I really liked what Webb did this last season. After hearing the Jefferson signing I envisioned 3 safety sets to allow the defense to shift like the Saints did a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

Nope I do not mean Dumervil. Both were released as of yesterday. I will try to find the notification on my phone and send it here.

The article states the possible release of Webb.

Just now, ALI624 said:

The article states the possible release of Webb.

I haven't even read the article on here. I was just talking to a buddy and got the notification that said 'the Ravens to cut safety Lardarius Webb'. If the Ravens keep him and lower his cap I would be ecstatic. If it's not true I will be one of the happiest people here.

2 hours ago, -Truth- said:

Safeties.jpg

how many snaps have weddle and jefferson played together that they actually can already be put in the same league as 2 guys who have proved for quite some years now that they are the top safety pair?

all that i see here is that jefferson was pretty good as a SS in arizona while weddle was a beast as a SS here.
im actually quite curious if weddle still has the range to play center field cause that is about the last place i want to see jefferson line up lol

2 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

how many snaps have weddle and jefferson played together that they actually can already be put in the same league as 2 guys who have proved for quite some years now that they are the top safety pair?

all that i see here is that jefferson was pretty good as a SS in arizona while weddle was a beast as a SS here.
im actually quite curious if weddle still has the range to play center field cause that is about the last place i want to see jefferson line up lol

Proves Ravens want their defense to be intimidating again. Also teams aren't designating SS and FS as much as they used to today. Both can do both pretty well. Which leaves offenses to question which one is going where. 

1 minute ago, trevorsteadman said:

Proves Ravens want their defense to be intimidating again. Also teams aren't designating SS and FS as much as they used to today. Both can do both pretty well. Which leaves offenses to question which one is going where. 

Pats game.  Weddle center field.  Td after biting on PA.

Just now, redrum52 said:

Pats game.  Weddle center field.  Td after biting on PA.

Weddle misread the play and admitted to it. What other big plays did he ever give up? He dropped back more than people think he did last season. Also even though Weddle misread the play, Elam still should take most the blame. He slipped 1 on 1 and if he was there that play wouldn't of been a touchdown. 

Weddle misread the play and admitted to it. What other big plays did he ever give up? He dropped back more than people think he did last season. Also even though Weddle misread the play, Elam still should take most the blame. He slipped 1 on 1 and if he was there that play wouldn't of been a touchdown. 

I'm not gonna say he wasn't good cause of one play, but he's getting up their in age.  We'll see how it works.  Won't make a difference to me if we don't pick up another CB in the draft because we can't trust Jimmy to stay healthy an entire season.

9 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

Teams can not label S an SS or FS but at the end of the day, one of these guys have to be able to cover center field. Jefferson is pretty slow for a S. That's why Arizona used him almost strictly as a SS. 

Weddle is going to have to take over Webbs role of the more coverage S. Will it work out? We won't know until the product is on the field.

2 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

Teams can not label S an SS or FS but at the end of the day, one of these guys have to be able to cover center field. Jefferson is pretty slow for a S. That's why Arizona used him almost strictly as a SS. 

Weddle is going to have to take over Webbs role of the more coverage S. Will it work out? We won't know until the product is on the field.

What makes you think he is that slow? His 4 year old 40 time?

Do you have any game clips where it is an issue?

Just now, berad said:

What makes you think he is that slow? His 4 year old 40 time?

Do you have any game clips where it is an issue?

I would agree.. Weddle isn't slow. Plus he makes up for some speed with is instincts and ball IQ. Weddle was the steal of the offseason last season and I bet he has another at least 2 productive years being a top 10 safety if not better.

I would agree.. Weddle isn't slow. Plus he makes up for some speed with is instincts and ball IQ. Weddle was the steal of the offseason last season and I bet he has another at least 2 productive years being a top 10 safety if not better.

Sure, I'd give him most of the credit, and Frazier a lot of the rest, for the secondary turnaround. They were still decent despite inconsistent (bad) play from Wright and Powers. They got totally exposed when Jimmy went down, though.

In honesty, this move is about a few things:

1. The Ravens targeting their guy, a top defensive FA, and (knock on wood) getting him

2. Beating out a better offer because of organization culture and recruiting by Weddle

3. Upgrading the secondary with youth and production