• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Admin 3

ANNOUNCEMENT: Boards Closing May 5 (New Date)

486 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, The Mom Gene said:

Before becoming a mod, I had NEVER been to the forum side.  I had always been a blog person.  It's disappointing, yes.  There have been duplicate discussions on the site because of this for years.  There are MANY teams that doing the same thing.  We are not the only ones.  The site has become home to many folks, but so many have moved on.  We are as disappointed as you guys are.  I do understand that conversations about the happenings can still be had on the news side.

Thank God for that, because if the site cut us completely off I would probably need to go on medication.

1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I'd be down to do recordings on players to fit the Ravens needs.

Definitely am interested in your impressions of DBs in particular 

5 minutes ago, cobrajet said:

Thank God for that, because if the site cut us completely off I would probably need to go on medication.

Not sure the news site comment threads are good for any rational person's health to be honest... you might need that medication anyway

On 3/8/2017 at 1:11 PM, arnie_uk said:

ThinK this is absolute bollocks to be frank. How can a company making millions not afford a message board? Couldn't save that much money.

I'd estimate 75 percent of hits on the br.com site are people that only use the forum.

I haven't been on the homepage in about 3 years. I visit entirely for the converse with other members. I can't get that on Facebook snapchat or twitter.

I give the br.com website 2 years before they realise it's not viable without the boards. 

s absolutely right! I'm never going on FB or Twitter to discuss anything. I am terribly disappointed.

I AM GOING TO MISS MY FORUM FAM BIG TIME! YOU GUYS WERE AN EXTENSION OF MINE IN A WEIRD WAY!

3 hours ago, lgcs27288 said:

Im assuming all of the media coverage will be the same? I.e mailbag, LFW, etc...

Yes. This change will not affect the content on the website and mobile app.

I haven't posted here for a long time, but I always come here to read all the news that comes out and I enjoy seeing people's opinions on it. I do find it rather ridulous that a organization that makes millions of dollars a year can't keep up a simple forum. I feel like the person who made this decision doesn't actually use the facebook page to talk because if they did they would realize what a disaster it actually is. Anyways I digress, rest in piece boards, you will be missed.

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Some of us have talked about this before but a ravens podcast...even a cheesily shot weekly you tube one where guys on this board break down players....specific to Ravens needs/fit and speculate on who we might select would be a cool novelty....really think guys on this board would do a much better job than anyone I've seen or read locally.

Hi @Edgar,

I'm not sure if you are aware, but we launched a Ravens podcast -- The Lounge -- at the beginning of the season. Our writers, Ryan Mink and Garrett Downing, share their thoughts and often sit down and chat with players and other guests. The 47th episode was posted yesterday.

Check it out on iTunes, Soundcloud or wherever you listen to your podcasts.

It seemed to me they never wanted this forum the way that it was run. Shutting down threads. Merging threads that had nothing to do with each other.  To me this is not expected.  I guess the Ravens don't like fans. 

2 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

If they are reliant on ad revenue then I can see it reducing significantly - what's gonna pay for some of those stupid videos they put on the website - think of mink and downing - oh "think of the children" - how will they be clothed and fed without the boards?

but seriously they just realise how much traffic these boards create for them on the actual site... because I certainly don't get my news from here because literally every other outlet and insider is quicker... I don't even have twitter but I still hear about Ravens breaking news from there and the NFL site before here - so I come here for LFW and the boards and that's pretty much it

They seem to have mostly videos now.  Videos with advertisements.  Really don't watch them. I guess they think most Ravens fans can't read or something.  

1 minute ago, atomicfront said:

They seem to have mostly videos now.  Videos with advertisements.  Really don't watch them. I guess they think most Ravens fans can't read or something.  

also - ad blockers stop all the ads on their videos...

9 minutes ago, Admin 3 said:

Hi @Edgar,

I'm not sure if you are aware, but we launched a Ravens podcast -- The Lounge -- at the beginning of the season. Our writers, Ryan Mink and Garrett Downing, share their thoughts and often sit down and chat with players and other guests. The 47th episode was posted yesterday.

Mink and downing are awful. Part of the reason I don't go to the homepage 

1 minute ago, arnie_uk said:

Mink and downing are awful. Part of the reason I don't go to the homepage 

I like Sarah Ellison and Eisenberg. 

Mink and Downing just seem like fans that got lucky with a job. I feel some of us on here are more insightful.

Just now, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Mink and Downing just seem like fans that got lucky with a job. I feel some of us on here are more insightful.

Yep.

10 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

they also seem to have no real knowledge beyond what ian rapoport can get and then parrot that - they also have zero knowledge of college prospects etc. or any players really beyond our own team - they are fine at what they do but the podcast is literally just two guys who happen to have jobs talking like fans - the interesting episodes are when the players are interviewed

27 minutes ago, Admin 3 said:

Hi @Edgar,

It would seem that the idea was for an outlet for the fans, not just a podcast. 

Seems as though the ones responsible for media distribution and promo are well disconnected from the very fan base that are supposed to be their customers.  

In today's world it's all about costs. Shutting down this message board isn't the solution. It generates a lot of traffic like some of you mentioned it above.

I'm okay if there's some ads/banner to generate some cash. Final drive to me is a useless product, I'm sure it costs a lot more to produce a video a day than to keep this board running. A message board is also a place for fans to talk/communicate to each other in a unique way esp. if it's the offical forums. I know social media plays a new role, but in the end a message board belongs to a package that the Ravens PR provide/"sell" their fans.

I'm going to miss you guys! This was a little community that shared a similar passion and it was awesome. Ravens fans forever. No matter what

In the less than one year on the boards I learned a lot more about football and enjoyed game days a little more with the good old gameday threads. I will definitely look into alternative boards and I will forever be a RAVENS fan.

The people that made this decision have little to zero knowledge of what Thierry fans want.

Lately the whole organisation seems to have the issue of not making the correct decisions

3 minutes ago, arnie_uk said:

The people that made this decision have little to zero knowledge of what Thierry fans want.

Lately the whole organisation seems to have the issue of not making the correct decisions

I don't get this decision. Its sorta like their decision to not have all open to the public practices in Westminster. I was very unhappy

about that . I used to go there with friends and afterwards have a few beers in the bars in Westminster. Good times. 

Well damn, that sucks. Now that the team is mediocre it can't afford an online forum? Hmmm. Sucks because this is the one place I can easily get the information I want and a place where people actually understand and love football like me. The people on here are much more knowledgable that pretty much every writer out there, ravens wise and just football wise. 

Ya'll better make some serious changes elsewhere because the homepage sucks imo. Honestly you should hire some like former scouts or someone who gets football!! And no one wants to have convos on twitter or Facebook. That's my private life, my friends don't want to hear about my ravens opinions.

It's been fun boys (and those few girls) but all good things must come to an end I suppose. We may have had our disagreements at times, But I sincerely wish you all the best.

Edited by ravefan52

I realize rather quickly why I don't usually comment on the team news on Facebook. It's just as bad as ESPN comment sections full of people throwing insults for no reason.  

Here there are disagreements but it never amount to petty name calling with no sports talk.   :standcorner::notwork:

On 3/8/2017 at 4:54 PM, jdynamite said:

I realize rather quickly why I don't usually comment on the team news on Facebook. It's just as bad as ESPN comment sections full of people throwing insults for no reason.  

Here there are disagreements but it never amount to petty name calling with no sports talk.   :standcorner::notwork:

It's a measuring contest on Facebook. 

I think everyone should click on the "Contact Us" button and write notes to the people that make these decisions and let them know what we all think of this one. Look at how many passionate people are out there scrambling around right now to create new message boards. I mainly go to this site BECAUSE of the message boards. I can get much more accurate and up to date information from Pro Football Rumors and Rotoworld than this site. If I need stats I can always go to Pro Football Reference..and in fact I always do.

In honor of the forums closing, Lindsey Duke makes her return for the next 3 weeks or so!

11 minutes ago, ravefan52 said:

Well damn, that sucks. Now that the team is mediocre it can't afford an online forum? Hmmm. Sucks because this is the one place I can easily get the information I want and a place where people actually understand and love football like me. The people on here are much more knowledgable that pretty much every writer out there, ravens wise and just football wise. 

Ya'll better make some serious changes elsewhere because the homepage sucks imo. Honestly you should hire some like former scouts or someone who gets football!! And no one wants to have convos on twitter or Facebook. That's my private life, my friends don't want to hear about my ravens opinions.

It's been fun boys (and those few girls) but all good things must come to an end I suppose. We may have had our disagreements at times, But I sincerely wish you all the best.

Yeah it's a pain to comment on the team's Facebook, because people with little to no  football knowledge will just jump on and disagree with name calling lol rather than legitimate sports talk.  

Also sometimes the forum was nice to read for a little rumors others picked up on elsewhere.