• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Admin 3

ANNOUNCEMENT: Boards Closing May 5 (New Date)

497 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Admin 3 said:

BOARD CLOSURE DATE CHANGE

Thank you to everyone who has shared feedback on this thread. We wanted to ensure we provided ample notice to the community of the shutdown and originally felt that 3+ weeks was suitable. Also, with the NFL calendar now spanning 12 months, we realize that there is no "best" time to sunset the boards. However, with the amount of chatter that occurs during the free agency period and draft, we understand that March 31 may not be the ideal time to close the discussion.

With that in mind, we have decided to leave the message boards up and running through the draft. The new shutdown day will be Friday, May 5 -- one week following the NFL Draft. We realize that many will still be upset that the board is closing, but we hope this provides members an opportunity to continue the ongoing dialogue during this busy time of year.

Thanks for the extra time. I really enjoy being on the boards during the draft!!!

5 hours ago, Ravensdoordie said:

The reason why sites like this close down  due to lack of people is very simple. It is because a lot of people who come 

to these sites to read and try to get into discussion are always put down by the very FEW and SAME people that always dominate

and act as if their opinion is the only one that matters. If you disagree with them you get talked about and ridiculed as if

you didn't know a thing about football.... And lord forbid if you say one wrong thing about the Ravens. It is either you 

just agree with everything and anything the same 5 or 6 people say that act as if they own the site or say nothing.

This was basically the same thing I read on the Scout Forum a while back as well.  They would say that the place

became a ghost town and wondered why. It was the same reason. A few know it alls that spoiled it for everyone else.

So it has nothing to do with advertising, more exposure, etc. ...it has to do with allowing the same very few people dominate

everything with their opinions get away with it and drive everyone else away. That is what happens to these sites. It is as if

these people have no life and have to voice their opinion on every single subject that comes up. And as stated always act as if 

their opinion is the best and only one.

I used to sit in seats at Ravens stadium that were adjacent to a lone seat  that wasn't owned by a PSL. The best thing

that happened was that a lot of times it usually sold on game day to an opposing fan. At first that seemed like a bad thing...

but eventually I learned that I got better insight and talk from someone with a different opinion about not only their team 

but the Ravens as well because they weren't biased and gave opinions that were way different then a purple kool-aid 

drinking Ravens fan. So eventually I hoped that the person buying the seat would be someone from the other team as I had

better conversation and friendly rivalry with them. 

These sites block those kind of people. They only allow Ravens fans and set up so many rules about what you can say or

not say that after a while it sounds like a Leave It To Beaver TV Show. "Golly gee Wally the R avens are really neat" .. "Yeah, 

I know Beave" ... But let Eddie Haskell show up and it all goes down hill and he is told to go home.....

Hopefully, someone opens a site where people can voice their opinions good or bad and stop the few no-it-alls that dominate

and ruin them. 

If I let other people dictate my personal opinions and let that impact what I post here, I would never post anything at all. I don't always go with the group think. I have my own observations and thoughts which I feel are no less or more warranted than any other fan's opinion. We're all fans. None of us are Ravens coaches. I simply try to be as educated on something as I can be and make my decisions on that.

15 hours ago, K-Dog said:

There IS a thread on Webb.

Betcha' can't guess who posted it... ;)

People should do a bit more searching before they make a blanket statement post. I mean the article on Webb and the posts about it are pretty easy to find. In another thread I had somebody claiming that "everybody" is complaining about Correa, but there were "no posts complaining about the Kaufusi pick." I know for a fact that I have made some posts about Kaufusi not being a great pick. Correa is just getting more attention because he was drafted higher, he was hyped to death on this site, and he didn't get injured early in camp like Kaufusi did. Sort of an out of sight out of mind thing.

At any rate, I would like to know from the powers that be what would have to happen to save these boards. The argument about people following the team on other social media outlets doesn't really hold water to me. We've all proven that most of us hate these other suggested modes of conversation...mostly because they actually do not allow a conversation. If it is money some people have expressed a willingness to donate. If it is manpower heck, I would offer to learn how to do something to help run a site and there are others around in our community with experience in the field that I am sure would help if they knew it would keep this place around.

So what's the deal Admins? I've contacted the site through "contact us" and have heard nothing but crickets. I would like some attention paid to the message I sent and get some personal one on one conversation time with the person who made this decision to find out what is really behind it and try to have this person convince me that the decision is a good one.

I can't shake the feeling that the writers for this site have something to say about it. A lot of us don't really value their offerings and aren't afraid to say so. Maybe instead of taking it out on us posters they should look for better writers?

Thanks for changing the closing date. I know a lot of us really enjoyed talking about draft prospects on here, so it is nice to go through one more draft on the board.

I think the fact that the date was moved proves that we are being heard.

DO NOT STOP HERE!

While it is good to voice our displeasure on this thread, please take the time to hit the "contact us" button and voice your displeasure. 

We can not simply create topics on social media, we have to play by ear on what the Ravens media team gives us. 

The Baltimore Ravens spent $144 million in stadium upgrades to "better the fans experience." What about the unique experience and information for fans on here? There is a sense of a community here that the pages on social media simply can not provide. Why would the Ravens want to destroy that? I am proud to post on these boards!

Again, please hit the contact us button and let the people in Bisciotti's office hear your displeasure. 

When Ravens media and players open up questions to fans, ask them why they want to get rid of this community.

If youve read all of this, thank you for your time!

13 hours ago, allblackraven said:

I know right? Someone has to keep the heat on him! :P

PLEASE do not close the forums!!!!!!!!! We appreciate you moving the date back.

1 hour ago, lgcs27288 said:

I think the fact that the date was moved proves that we are being heard.

DO NOT STOP HERE!

While it is good to voice our displeasure on this thread, please take the time to hit the "contact us" button and voice your displeasure. 

We can not simply create topics on social media, we have to play by ear on what the Ravens media team gives us. 

The Baltimore Ravens spent $144 million in stadium upgrades to "better the fans experience." What about the unique experience and information for fans on here? There is a sense of a community here that the pages on social media simply can not provide. Why would the Ravens want to destroy that? I am proud to post on these boards!

Again, please hit the contact us button and let the people in Bisciotti's office hear your displeasure. 

When Ravens media and players open up questions to fans, ask them why they want to get rid of this community.

If youve read all of this, thank you for your time!

I've done my part and contacted the people through "contact us" about 3-4 days ago and I have yet to hear a reply.

I did more than just say, "this is a stupid decision and please don't close the boards."

I offered them the reasons why I thought this was a poor decision. I offered up the experience I had with the ESPN message boards and what has happened to them since they closed their boards down. I don't go to ESPN for my sports information anymore. I would log into the boards first and see what people were talking about, THEN move onto the articles/news. To me this site doesn't offer any more information than any other outlet out there. If they think this is the go to source of Ravens information they are sadly mistaken. Just because this is the official Ravens site doesn't really seem to make much difference. There is really no insider information coming from anyone on this site. It is just the same news coming out at the same time; or later in most cases, than other outlets. So again I come here to look at the boards first, then I might check out the articles and "breaking news."

Since ESPN closed their boards they are dead to me and for a lot of the other former posters there. It was a double whammy for ESPN since they also covered the other major sports in Baltimore.

I don't think the posters on here are bullies like the one person poste

5 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

I think your basic reasoning may be correct, but it would seem that the trend of posts by "the same very few people" has been the opposite of what you describe, rather a constant negativity instead of the "golly gee the Ravens are neat" postings. For the past year or two there has been a core of folks that ridicule and bash anyone that dares to show optimism for a struggling player or unit, often labeling such posters as "homers", as if that should be a terrible thing. 

So if your looking for a reason for decreased traffic, IMO the ones that have left, stopped posting or just don't join are turned of by the negativity and pessimism, not the lack of respectful and intelligent conversation of opinions, good or bad. 

I tend to see more negativity about the players and the team. It amazes me how people quickly turn on their favorite players once injuries catch up with the player.  There are not many bad football players in the NFL.  Maybe a guy like Cody who was totally out of shape.  But it does bother me when I hear people blasting Webb.  He was great before his injuries. And for a NFL cornerback it doesn't take much drop off from being a great cornerback to a below average one.  When you get burned it is pretty obvious to everyone.

38 minutes ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

I've done my part and contacted the people through "contact us" about 3-4 days ago and I have yet to hear a reply.

I wouldnt expect a response, it is essentially a way to flood their emails and bring it to the forefront.

This is really sad news.  Although I don't post here as much as I used to due to life, I still linger around a lot.  I'm not one of the OG posters but I'm pretty close.  Joined when the boards opened back in 2007.  I like a lot of the posters here and this place has been a sort of home. I rely on the knowledge shared here more than the so-called experts.  

I hate how message boards are shutting down (like IMDB) and we are being pointed to Facebook and Twitter instead.  There are no meaningful discussions there, just people blabbing out single opinions into open space with no common theme.  

Ugh.    

Edited by PuRock

11 minutes ago, PuRock said:

This is really sad news.  Although I don't post here as much as I used to due to life, I still linger around a lot.  I'm not one of the OG posters but I'm pretty close.  Joined when the boards opened back in 2007.  I like a lot of the posters here and this place has been a sort of home. I rely on the knowledge shared here more than the so-called experts.  

I hate how message boards are shutting down (like IMDB) and we are being pointed to Facebook and Twitter instead.  There are no meaningful discussions there, just people blabbing out single opinions into open space with no common theme.  

Ugh.    

And there are no filters there to weed out the people that are simply just trying to start nonsense. I am all about freedom of expression but if your intent is to simply disrupt the conversation and your posts consist of nothing but "So-and-so sucks," then what conversation are you really going to have?

25 minutes ago, PuRock said:

I hate how message boards are shutting down (like IMDB)

IMDb is shutting down ?
Well that sucks too. 
When ? 

2 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

IMDb is shutting down ?
Well that sucks too. 
When ? 

IMDB shut down their message boards, they aren't shutting down the whole site.  This already happen, their message boards have been gone for a couple weeks now.  

On 3/8/2017 at 3:29 PM, Admin 3 said:

Hi @Edgar,

I'm not sure if you are aware, but we launched a Ravens podcast -- The Lounge -- at the beginning of the season. Our writers, Ryan Mink and Garrett Downing, share their thoughts and often sit down and chat with players and other guests. The 47th episode was posted yesterday.

Check it out on iTunes, Soundcloud or wherever you listen to your podcasts.

I think that's a great idea, but its hard to listen to sometimes. Sorry but Mink is too immature and childish and more often than not doesn't make sense. Its nice to hear Garrett trying to make sense but Mink is absolutely terrible and loud without any substance. I think we need Sarah Ellison and Garret running the podcast for better listening pleasure and clarity. Sorry but I tried to listen to a few, but had to tune out Mink every time he started yakking.

Edited by ellicottraven

I appreciate directors of the Ravens website or whoever higher in FO let the board stayed on after the draft; again, if you can hear us, please reconsider closing the board cuz I literally have no place to talk about football and learn about football.  Some of these guys on this board are for me, considered as experts.  If you need money donated to keep the board going, I will do it, as many of us I believe will chip in as well.....

PLEASE RECONSIDER!

Just at least think about it once more time before closing the board down......

thank you

Trying to have a conversation on Facebook is going to be like if we took all the forums on this board and combined them into one thread with no mods.

Think about it...

1 hour ago, PuRock said:

IMDB shut down their message boards, they aren't shutting down the whole site.  This already happen, their message boards have been gone for a couple weeks now.  

Oh well that is no big deal for me.

I find their site very useful. 

3 hours ago, ellicottraven said:

I think that's a great idea, but its hard to listen to sometimes. Sorry but Mink is too immature and childish and more often than not doesn't make sense. Its nice to hear Garrett trying to make sense but Mink is absolutely terrible and loud without any substance. I think we need Sarah Ellison and Garret running the podcast for better listening pleasure and clarity. Sorry but I tried to listen to a few, but had to tune out Mink every time he started yakking.

I have watched one video segment on this site and it was the first and also the very last one I ever watched. It was a mailbag feature with Mink and the other one. I don't care enough to know his name. The duo didn't offer any tangible evidence for the answers to specific questions asked and just offered up what they think. Quite frankly, based on Mink's articles and his persona I could give a flying anvil what he thinks. His opinion matters very little to me. They might as well ditch those video segments and the podcasts and save themselves all the time, money, and effort put into them because I find them to be completely worthless. I give more credence to what the fans on this board have to state because at least they usually back up their opinions with some hard data.

Edited by EdTheMythicalOne

54 minutes ago, Moderator 2 said:

Admin 3 is our big boss when it comes to the digital media team.

And I just messaged this person to see if I can get some straight answers out of somebody about why this decision is being made. The press release statement offered to start this thread seems to be completely contradictory in my opinion. If you want to better communicate with your avid fans, why shut down one of the best places for us fans to carry on conversations? It would also be nice if the personalities of this site might actually, I dunno, acknowledge that we are here.

So my last question is, what exactly are the message boards hurting? What is the reasoning besides what was given already? 

20 minutes ago, Purple Punishment said:

So my last question is, what exactly are the message boards hurting? What is the reasoning besides what was given already? 

Absolutely none. Apparently they think more people are having "conversations" through the team's other social media outlets like the team's Twitter and Facebook pages. They think that most of us will convert over to those other outlets and I for one can assure you I have absolutely no interest in doing that unless the people in charge are paying me to do so.

I've had no feedback from anyone from my "contact us" message and I have only just recently messaged Admin3 since it was said here that this person is the digital media boss.

At this point I think we all need to remind them just how many of us there are and how many of us will absolutely not follow this site, its authors, or its other social media outlets. To me this site doesn't offer anything unique other than this message board. The news this site offers is not anything I can't read or access elsewhere. The columns the authors write I usually find lacking substance and treating me as if I am some idiot that doesn't remember yesterday or know anything about football at all. The video nuggets this site has are worthless to me as well and not worth my time to watch and listen to. Long story short, the message board is the main reason why I come to this site. They take that away and I won't be around anymore. Not that they really care I am sure, but if enough people are committed do doing the same thing then they might take notice. I personally feel like this is a slap in the face to all of us.

"Gee thanks for making us so successful and making the boards a great place to be, but we now invite you all to sincerely take a long walk off a short pier because reasons. Buh-bye." That's my interpretation of the post made to start this thread.

Edited by EdTheMythicalOne

36 minutes ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

I have watched one video segment on this site and it was the first and also the very last one I ever watched. It was a mailbag feature with Mink and the other one. I don't care enough to know his name. The duo didn't offer any tangible evidence for the answers to specific questions asked and just offered up what they think. Quite frankly, based on Mink's articles and his persona I could give a flying anvil what he thinks. His opinion matters very little to me. They might as well ditch those video segments and the podcasts and save themselves all the time, money, and effort put into them because I find them to be completely worthless. I give more credence to what the fans on this board have to state because at least they usually back up their opinions with some hard data.

Absolutely agree with you! Now see in lieu of eliminating the boards entirely why don't they look at canning Mink and saving some money? 

Edited by ellicottraven

34 minutes ago, Purple Punishment said:

No one.  This is simply a business decision.  Probably a mix between costs and a marketing angle.  Having a message board has little benefits.  Probably more of a liability than anything else.  Close the message board and force users to support the official social media.

Wish they would keep a place for us die hard fans to discuss all things Ravens. But business first like usual. 

I doubt this would have generated any meaningful numbers but at least there was a chance of more people responding on the day announcement came if we put up the poll/vote:

Are you just switching to twitter/facebook/snapchat or leaving the site once forum is closed?

1] switching
2] leaving

Too late now

Edited by allblackraven

8 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

I doubt this would have generated any meaningful numbers but at least there was a chance of more people responding on the day announcement came if we put up the poll/vote:

Are you just switching to twitter/facebook/snapchat or leaving the site once forum is closed?

1] switching
2] leaving

Too late now

Definitely not Twitter or Facebook. Wastelands except for breaking news. My exposure to the rest of this site is via the forum.  No need to come back now. 

Edited by PuRock

9 minutes ago, PuRock said:

No one.  This is simply a business decision.  Probably a mix between costs and a marketing angle.  Having a message board has little benefits.  Probably more of a liability than anything else.  Close the message board and force users to support the official social media.

Wish they would keep a place for us die hard fans to discuss all things Ravens. But business first like usual. 

I won't support anything digitally if they take the boards away and urge my fellow PSL holder friends to follow suit