• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Admin 3

ANNOUNCEMENT: Boards Closing May 5 (New Date)

497 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, terrynjulia03 said:

Sorry. Maybe Mod 2? Whomever wrote out the explanation that really didn't explain much. Lol. No offense intended. 

Probably Admin 3, our boss.

29 minutes ago, Purple Nurple said:

Extra month I believe.....

You're right. For some reason I am skipping April.

2 hours ago, ALPHA said:

when did you change the avatar?

prior to last season.

Edited by Tank 92

30 minutes ago, terrynjulia03 said:

I still find it funny when the mod said "We, as in the Ravens front office". Somehow I seriously doubt the Biscuit and Oz and Harbaugh and Co are paying attention to if the message board stays open or not at this time of year. I'm guessing it's prob some pencil pusher that prob isn't even a fan that works in some IT office with a pocket protector and is in charge of line item reviews and scratched this one out so he/she can get a better quarter bonus. Sorry just the thought that popped in my head when nothing else makes sense. 

Did Paul Tagliabue make this decision? Maybe we should go build a message board museum?

1 hour ago, Static said:

Is it a money thing? I will donate. 

Yeah, I wouldn't be against a small fee. 

2 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be against a small fee. 

I'm not sure how much this site costs the team (presumably) to run, but surely even a donation model (where payment is voluntary) would at least come close to being enough. 

4 minutes ago, Inqui said:

I'm not sure how much this site costs the team (presumably) to run, but surely even a donation model (where payment is voluntary) would at least come close to being enough. 

Maybe it is a personnel thing? What if the admins and powers that be would allow volunteers to run the boards maintenance and such? Heck, we have people offering to do that right now by making their own sites. Why not tap that resource and keep something all us hardcore fans enjoy? I would offer to help in that aspect if I had an IT background, but alas I do not.

Well we apparently made the news over there. http://forum.russellstreetreport.com/showthread.php?152123-Mods-be-prepared-BR-com-forum-is-closing-down/page4

Some are pretty noteworthy. A: Former original Admins here that left because the rules were a bit too "structured", kinda falls in line with a mod saying "Bollocks" will soon be on the banned list. Lol. And someone else brought up a pretty good point that I didn't think of. If you get warnings here will you take it out on not buying merchandise and such because it's the "Ravens" censoring your post?  Something I didn't think of. The Bills also just closed down their "official" page. Given the amount of snowflakes nowadays, I guess it starts making sense. 

I did not read through this thread so if already answered, I apologize but does this mean no more gameday thread?

This makes me crazy sad. You can't discuss things like we do here on those other platforms. They do not lend themselves to discussions.

1 minute ago, ravensdfan said:

I did not read through this thread so if already answered, I apologize but does this mean no more gameday thread?

This makes me crazy sad. You can't discuss things like we do here on those other platforms. They do not lend themselves to discussions.

No the entire board is going away. If you scroll through a little bit you'll see the link to scout, and with a new forum that Bold started up. Or there's RSR. I was originally disappointed, but as I posted above, I can kinda see the reasoning. Sad, but blame those like Rosie ODonnel. This is the world we live in. Lol

1 minute ago, terrynjulia03 said:

No the entire board is going away. If you scroll through a little bit you'll see the link to scout, and with a new forum that Bold started up. Or there's RSR. I was originally disappointed, but as I posted above, I can kinda see the reasoning. Sad, but blame those like Rosie ODonnel. This is the world we live in. Lol

Wow. I am without words right now. 7 years my go to place to discuss with Ravens' fans.

2 minutes ago, Purple Nurple said:

Hahaha. Arnie

Yeah he's over here too I believe. Arnie UK. Lol. I'd go back,but I got banned. Lol. They don't really do censoring and warnings. Just if one of the regulars gets their panties in a bunch you get the boot. I was Justaslowz06. Think I'm kinda a legend on that board. Lol. And I had a rating higher than some mods with likes, and still got the boot all because of one adult beverage rant in a game day thread when we were sucking. Lol. Sigh. It's a good site, for those looking for a home. BUT don't get too passionate or the regulars will show you the door. 

On 3/8/2017 at 10:10 AM, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

How many would join if I create a message board/forum for us to migrate to?

Trying to scroll through but truly saddened. Very interested. Link me when you get set up.

5 minutes ago, ravensdfan said:

Wow. I am without words right now. 7 years my go to place to discuss with Ravens' fans.

Sorry bro. Now I feel bad for being the first to respond. Lol. Believe me, I live in KC now and the o oh place I can talk Ravens is on the boards. This is Chiefs country. And no matter how much you point and laugh and engage in actual football discussion on how their team is garbage, they don't want to discuss anyone else, nor have the slightest clue about football or the NFL or anything outside of Oh Eric Berry. Blah blah. And you can say, well you're bum QB was ranked dead last of starting QBs in the league last year and it goes right over there head. It's honestly depressing. 

42 minutes ago, terrynjulia03 said:

Well we apparently made the news over there. http://forum.russellstreetreport.com/showthread.php?152123-Mods-be-prepared-BR-com-forum-is-closing-down/page4

Some are pretty noteworthy. A: Former original Admins here that left because the rules were a bit too "structured", kinda falls in line with a mod saying "[removed]" will soon be on the banned list. Lol. And someone else brought up a pretty good point that I didn't think of. If you get warnings here will you take it out on not buying merchandise and such because it's the "Ravens" censoring your post?  Something I didn't think of. The Bills also just closed down their "official" page. Given the amount of snowflakes nowadays, I guess it starts making sense. 

i know that we give the mods etc. a lot of stick but i find it funny that they think that there's some sort of big brother narrative control by the mods on posts and the like if anyone gives any sort of crazy out of the ordinary suggestions - i think the ability of some of the absurd trollers/"alternative theorists" to exist and unfortunately thrive here gives some indication of how this forum is not run as some sort of 1984 thought-dictatorship

Edited by rossihunter2

2 hours ago, Purple Nurple said:

I share this sentiment. I would honestly do a $5 a month deal. 

Really this board is pretty bad.  Webb gets cut and there is t even a post about it.  And if someone did create a post about Webb being cut it would either be locked or merged into another thread.  This board is terribly moderated and that is why it doesn't have more traffic.  Why would you pay five dollars this isn't someone's personal board this is the Ravens official board. The owners gets a free stadium and has made hundreds of millions of dollars off the team.  If he thinks it is too much money to have a board I think it would be better choice to stop attending games and watching them on TV.  

2 minutes ago, atomicfront said:

Really this board is pretty bad.  Webb gets cut and there is t even a post about it.  And if someone did create a post about Webb being cut it would either be locked or merged into another thread.  This board is terribly moderated and that is why it doesn't have more traffic.  Why would you pay five dollars this isn't someone's personal board this is the Ravens official board. The owners gets a free stadium and has made hundreds of millions of dollars off the team.  If he thinks it is too much money to have a board I think it would be better choice to stop attending games and watching them on TV.  

There IS a thread on Webb.

Betcha' can't guess who posted it... ;)

5 minutes ago, atomicfront said:

there is a thread in ravens talk and a thread in news about lardarius so i dont know what you are talking about

as for the money element, the mods/admins have said multiple times that its not about money which i believe entirely because the monetary costs of this board will be nothing compared to the budget the ravens obviously have for their media arm - i may not agree with them closing the board down on principle, and i feel that passionately, but i will give them their dues that they didnt do this on a whim because it was too hard or too expensive, especially given the revised shut down date

1 hour ago, rossihunter2 said:

there is a thread in ravens talk and a thread in news about lardarius so i dont know what you are talking about

as for the money element, the mods/admins have said multiple times that its not about money which i believe entirely because the monetary costs of this board will be nothing compared to the budget the ravens obviously have for their media arm - i may not agree with them closing the board down on principle, and i feel that passionately, but i will give them their dues that they didnt do this on a whim because it was too hard or too expensive, especially given the revised shut down date

If it isn't about money why shut it down?  The thread about Webb was started after my post.  I would have started one myself but figured it would have been moved.  So I didn't bother.  My guess is with the two straight seasons with a winning record they don't like people on here calling for people with the team to get fired.  

Also so the down votes are you people serious.  Who cares about down votes?this board will be closing in a couple of weeks.  The people I was criticizing don't want you on their site.  They think you are a nuisance.

Edited by atomicfront

If the point is to better reach the fanbase, why not promote the boards instead of hide them? Twitter is promoted here. Are these boards promoted on twitter? You can't even find the forum from the main page. And how does it help to close one media format and double-down on facebook and twitter? Your efforts are better spent on those platforms - well what effort has gone into making these boards competitive?

Do I also have to point out how ridiculous it is that you're blaming lack of traffic AND a rise in deleting posts? This is exactly why facebook and twitter have so much weight - they allow discussion - even when it gets ugly. But this site keeps deleting the posts that people would want to respond to. Let the downvotes decide the "appearance" of the fanbase.

I'm really disappointed by this. I hope one of our fans who made their own board capitalizes on this and learns how to market it properly.

I feel this forum gave us, the fans, a good reputation for other teams looking to know about us.  I found this place by typing in "ravens forum" on Google. Later on, I did the same for other teams like Steelers and Patriots and I've always felt that by comparison we have it pretty good here if you want some intelligent conversation. Granted the other team sites are/were probably not hosted by the teams' front office. I'm worried that we could find ourselves in a similar situation. I take pride in what we have here. Please reconsider, I would also be willing to donate to keep this going.

8 hours ago, Purple Nurple said:

Hahaha. Arnie

Hey I had to warn them about rmcjacket haha.

The reason why sites like this close down  due to lack of people is very simple. It is because a lot of people who come 

to these sites to read and try to get into discussion are always put down by the very FEW and SAME people that always dominate

and act as if their opinion is the only one that matters. If you disagree with them you get talked about and ridiculed as if

you didn't know a thing about football.... And lord forbid if you say one wrong thing about the Ravens. It is either you 

just agree with everything and anything the same 5 or 6 people say that act as if they own the site or say nothing.

This was basically the same thing I read on the Scout Forum a while back as well.  They would say that the place

became a ghost town and wondered why. It was the same reason. A few know it alls that spoiled it for everyone else.

So it has nothing to do with advertising, more exposure, etc. ...it has to do with allowing the same very few people dominate

everything with their opinions get away with it and drive everyone else away. That is what happens to these sites. It is as if

these people have no life and have to voice their opinion on every single subject that comes up. And as stated always act as if 

their opinion is the best and only one.

I used to sit in seats at Ravens stadium that were adjacent to a lone seat  that wasn't owned by a PSL. The best thing

that happened was that a lot of times it usually sold on game day to an opposing fan. At first that seemed like a bad thing...

but eventually I learned that I got better insight and talk from someone with a different opinion about not only their team 

but the Ravens as well because they weren't biased and gave opinions that were way different then a purple kool-aid 

drinking Ravens fan. So eventually I hoped that the person buying the seat would be someone from the other team as I had

better conversation and friendly rivalry with them. 

These sites block those kind of people. They only allow Ravens fans and set up so many rules about what you can say or

not say that after a while it sounds like a Leave It To Beaver TV Show. "Golly gee Wally the R avens are really neat" .. "Yeah, 

I know Beave" ... But let Eddie Haskell show up and it all goes down hill and he is told to go home.....

Hopefully, someone opens a site where people can voice their opinions good or bad and stop the few no-it-alls that dominate

and ruin them. 

You can use social media to follow the Ravens but as far as conversations it's limited. It's more just people making a one post comment that doesn't go any further...here you can have a back and forth. I haven't been around on the regular in years but it was always nice to come here and read up on what other fans were thinking.

1 hour ago, Ravensdoordie said:

The reason why sites like this close down  due to lack of people is very simple. It is because a lot of people who come 

to these sites to read and try to get into discussion are always put down by the very FEW and SAME people that always dominate

and act as if their opinion is the only one that matters. If you disagree with them you get talked about and ridiculed as if

you didn't know a thing about football.... And lord forbid if you say one wrong thing about the Ravens. It is either you 

just agree with everything and anything the same 5 or 6 people say that act as if they own the site or say nothing.

This was basically the same thing I read on the Scout Forum a while back as well.  They would say that the place

became a ghost town and wondered why. It was the same reason. A few know it alls that spoiled it for everyone else.

So it has nothing to do with advertising, more exposure, etc. ...it has to do with allowing the same very few people dominate

everything with their opinions get away with it and drive everyone else away. That is what happens to these sites. It is as if

these people have no life and have to voice their opinion on every single subject that comes up. And as stated always act as if 

I used to sit in seats at Ravens stadium that were adjacent to a lone seat  that wasn't owned by a PSL. The best thing

that happened was that a lot of times it usually sold on game day to an opposing fan. At first that seemed like a bad thing...

but eventually I learned that I got better insight and talk from someone with a different opinion about not only their team 

but the Ravens as well because they weren't biased and gave opinions that were way different then a purple kool-aid 

drinking Ravens fan. So eventually I hoped that the person buying the seat would be someone from the other team as I had

These sites block those kind of people. They only allow Ravens fans and set up so many rules about what you can say or

not say that after a while it sounds like a Leave It To Beaver TV Show. "Golly gee Wally the R avens are really neat" .. "Yeah, 

I know Beave" ... But let Eddie Haskell show up and it all goes down hill and he is told to go home.....

Hopefully, someone opens a site where people can voice their opinions good or bad and stop the few no-it-alls that dominate

and ruin them. 

Not to be insulting but the way you talk about the way people post it feels like you only read the flacco threads and the news threads... come visit the draft threads if you want proof - they are veritable gold mines of debate and thought-sharing

of course outlandish claims will be ridiculed if they come with no evidence but other teams' fans drop in sometimes and I've never seen them blocked unless they are trolling on gameday - there certainly isn't a rejection of alternative ideas as long as they come with some justification rather than baseless opinions

1 hour ago, Ravensdoordie said:

and ruin them. 

I think your basic reasoning may be correct, but it would seem that the trend of posts by "the same very few people" has been the opposite of what you describe, rather a constant negativity instead of the "golly gee the Ravens are neat" postings. For the past year or two there has been a core of folks that ridicule and bash anyone that dares to show optimism for a struggling player or unit, often labeling such posters as "homers", as if that should be a terrible thing. 

So if your looking for a reason for decreased traffic, IMO the ones that have left, stopped posting or just don't join are turned of by the negativity and pessimism, not the lack of respectful and intelligent conversation of opinions, good or bad.