• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
BR News

[News] 2017 Ravens Free Agency Rumor Mill

203 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, huntrgathrr said:

Torrey would be a welcome return at the right price. His lack of performance should ensure we get him cheap and we know he and Joe can make it happen.
Of course that assumes we get 2 more offensive lineman that can play with Yanda and Stanley and hopefully sign Mangold. Otherwise it won't matter if we have jerry rice, joe montana and calvin johnson.....flacco will be running for his life before he goes out with a career ending injury. I guess he cares more about money (that he will never spend) than winning and his health. For such a smart guy he is behaving very stupidly. Every good QB that wants to win should be looking at what Tom Brady did.....took a huge pay cut to build a great team around him. i guess Joe either doesn't care or doesn't believe a better team will make a difference. In either case he should just retire and play with his kids for the next 20 years.....he is obviously not really a team player. Mallett can get to 8-8 at 1/10 the price.
This should be the end of the Harbaugh era. He had a real good run but it is obviously over....5-11, 8-8 and this season will be much worse. The team has been gutted with the loss of Brandon Williams and Rick Wagner.....and I mean really gutted. These 2 embodied the young and physically dominant ravens. The sad fact is that they cannot and will not be replaced with guys of equal talent leaving a more mediocre team.
The only hope for the Ravens is cut or trade Flacco, Smith, and Suggs to develop some cap space and get higher draft picks. This should be a rebuilding year, to say the least. Flacco, Smith and Suggs have done nothing for this team in the last few years and are making way too much money. There is Nothing to lose by giving younger and hungrier players a chance to shine.

Reading all of that was borderline painful to me being the Ravens fan that I am. So leading your team to 10 playoff wins and a Superbowl in the span of 8 yrs........then going through what only seems to be a brief couple years of rebuilding before becoming contenders again is grounds for firing? I don't know the exact stats but I would venture to say Bill Belichik is possibly the only head coach in the NFL with more wins than Harbaugh since he came in the league....Maybe one morea as well. Point being a very large majority of NFL fans haven't even been able to watch their team even win one playoff game let alone 10 and a Superbowl. I'd like to see how your fan life would be as a Browns, Lions, or even Bengals fan lol. Honestly as Raven fans we have been completely spoiled with being able to watch a competitive team. Trade or cut Flacco, Suggs and Smith lol? That is the most absurd bs ive ever seen. You just named quite possibly the 3 hardest players on our entire football team to try and replace. My mind is blown......Good thing I can confidently just always say in Ozzie I trust. Our team isn't that far from competing again.... just be patient this league is designed to make sure teams have far less success than the Ravens have managed to sustain. Sorry for the rant but just look up how many QBs in the history of the NFL have more playoff wins than Flacco. And his playoff days are just around the corner have some faith.

12 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

logan ryan will cost a lot more though

Maybe l guess but just give him a call. We got Jefferson in a pretty decent price. 

Edited by hen826957

1 minute ago, DiehardRavenFan said:

Reading all of that was borderline painful to me being the Ravens fan that I am. So leading your team to 10 playoff wins and a Superbowl in the span of 8 yrs........then going through what only seems to be a brief couple years of rebuilding before becoming contenders again is grounds for firing? I don't know the exact stats but I would venture to say Bill Belichik is possibly the only head coach in the NFL with more wins than Harbaugh since he came in the league....Maybe one morea as well. Point being a very large majority of NFL fans haven't even been able to watch their team even win one playoff game let alone 10 and a Superbowl. I'd like to see how your fan life would be as a Browns, Lions, or even Bengals fan lol. Honestly as Raven fans we have been completely spoiled with being able to watch a competitive team. Trade or cut Flacco, Suggs and Smith lol? That is the most absurd bs ive ever seen. You just named quite possibly the 3 hardest players on our entire football team to try and replace. My mind is blown......Good thing I can confidently just always say in Ozzie I trust. Our team isn't that far from competing again.... just be patient this league is designed to make sure teams have far less success than the Ravens have managed to sustain. Sorry for the rant but just look up how many QBs in the history of the NFL have more playoff wins than Flacco. And his playoff days are just around the corner have some faith.

Also we still might be signing Williams.....Not to mention with a decent draft to shore up CB,WR,and LBs the Raven D will be a top 5 defense again. So to say iyr team is gutted is massively and insanely overblown. The science behind running an NFL FO is very complex and although we may think we know what needs to be done I promise you 9 times out of 10 they have the better idea as to what needs to be done in order to sustain the franchise's success.

I'd like the Ravens to take a look at Deandre Levy who could be a steak if healthy. He could provide a better more up to date version of a Daryl Smith.

3 hours ago, Smoke0121 said:

Bio...RIGHT??? There's another year in the books that we don't have to worry about Cleveland getting into the mix. I like Hugh Jackson, but sometimes he leaves me scratching my head. RGIII? Osweiler? C'mon man.

I also get a kick out of laughing at the Browns mystery lol

But in all seriousness. They have a solid foundation for once. They have playmaker on every level and have rolled over so much cap space from previous years. They also had a solid draft last year and have a million picks the next two so even if they miss out on half their picks they still get a few more starters. I wouldn't be too surprised if they make noise sooner than later

19 minutes ago, hen826957 said:

Maybe l guess but just give him a call. We,got Jefferson in a pretty decent price. 

what's to say they havent?

7 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

You're still missing the point entirely.

1. Nobody is saying that signing a FA corner takes away from drafting 1 or 5 of them. Still have no idea why you keep coming back to this.

2. You shouldn't be looking at what Wright got last year, because that's when he was coming off a good season. He was actually pretty good, or at least, above average, in 2015. That's why we paid him like that last season. He was signed for peanuts during the 2015 season after he was cut by the 49ers. That's what the market is for average corners. Its not nearly as robust as you think it is.

3. Sure, Webb, Jimmy and Young are good picks. That's 3 respectable corners in, what, 8 years? There's also Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson, Marc Anthony, and Tray Walker (unlucky on this one). So for every 1 corner we drafted that panned out, another one didn't.

You could argue that's due to where they were drafted, but no team can commit a day 1 or 2 pick on a corner every year and be successful. Heck, the guy you are arguing against us signing was a very high draft pick who was viewed as a "can't miss" prospect by many. There's busts just littered among day 1 picks in recent years at the corner position.

Again, goes back to my point... tons of risk.

If you think drafting corners is the way to go, I agree, and signing one won't change that. It MAY mean that you draft somebody else instead of a 6th round corner who's extremely unlikely to pan out, because lets face, we aren't using two top 3 round picks on a corner. Maybe one of those goes to a corner, but we aren't going to pull a Steelers and draft like 4 corners in the first 3 rounds like they've done recently. That hasn't panned out well for them thus far either.

4. Nobody is even remotely suggesting that we aren't trying to build through the draft. What you're neglecting is that our drafts haven't been very good lately (main reason why we are in this mess) and that a team that has like 10 positions they want to upgrade can't possibly do it in a draft, or two drafts, or maybe even three drafts. Half of your draft class is going to be irrelevant when its all said and done... that's just how the NFL works.

A lot of what people are missing is if we do go ahead and pursue Claiborne that allows us to use our 1st round pick on a pass rusher or even inside linebacker. Reuben Foster will be sitting there to take over Orr or a pass rusher that could take over Doom. If we don't pursue Claiborne the obvious first round pick should be corner, as you stated tavon is impressive but is better suited for the nickel and Jimmy is a great number 1 but he always gets hurt. In my opinion this would be a good signing.

12 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

1. Nobody is saying that signing a FA corner takes away from drafting 1 or 5 of them. Still have no idea why you keep coming back to this.

2. You shouldn't be looking at what Wright got last year, because that's when he was coming off a good season. He was actually pretty good, or at least, above average, in 2015. That's why we paid him like that last season. He was signed for peanuts during the 2015 season after he was cut by the 49ers. That's what the market is for average corners. Its not nearly as robust as you think it is.

3. Sure, Webb, Jimmy and Young are good picks. That's 3 respectable corners in, what, 8 years? There's also Chykie Brown, Asa Jackson, Marc Anthony, and Tray Walker (unlucky on this one). So for every 1 corner we drafted that panned out, another one didn't.

You could argue that's due to where they were drafted, but no team can commit a day 1 or 2 pick on a corner every year and be successful. Heck, the guy you are arguing against us signing was a very high draft pick who was viewed as a "can't miss" prospect by many. There's busts just littered among day 1 picks in recent years at the corner position.

If you think drafting corners is the way to go, I agree, and signing one won't change that. It MAY mean that you draft somebody else instead of a 6th round corner who's extremely unlikely to pan out, because lets face, we aren't using two top 3 round picks on a corner. Maybe one of those goes to a corner, but we aren't going to pull a Steelers and draft like 4 corners in the first 3 rounds like they've done recently. That hasn't panned out well for them thus far either.

4. Nobody is even remotely suggesting that we aren't trying to build through the draft. What you're neglecting is that our drafts haven't been very good lately (main reason why we are in this mess) and that a team that has like 10 positions they want to upgrade can't possibly do it in a draft, or two drafts, or maybe even three drafts. Half of your draft class is going to be irrelevant when its all said and done... that's just how the NFL works.

A lot of what people are missing is if we do go ahead and pursue Claiborne that allows us to use our 1st round pick on a pass rusher or even inside linebacker. Reuben Foster will be sitting there to take over Orr or a pass rusher that could take over Doom. If we don't pursue Claiborne the obvious first round pick should be corner, as you stated tavon is impressive but is better suited for the nickel and Jimmy is a great number 1 but he always gets hurt. In my opinion this would be a good signing.

The guy was a first round pick that has been in the league for 5 years.
He's never played 16 games and only got close to doing so once.
I don't see how we could even be considering him. Not only paying on him, but relying on him too. He makes Jimmy look like an Ironman.
This corner class is insane. Time to take a legit lock down #1. To not only pair with Jimmy and Tavon, but he can take over if Jimmy does go down. As well as take over for us in the future when Jimmy is not around.
Might be able to get away with pass rusher in the first and corner in the second, but that could be a huge mistake. There will be legit lock down corners ava. at 16 no matter what this year

Zach Brown anybody????
I have a hard time thinking we're not going after him right now
Signing Jefferson and Keeping BWill just improved our run D from last year already. If we add Brown, we will have THE best run D the whole year next year. We all loved Orr, but Brown would be a upgrade over Orr vs the run
Not to mention Carl Davis should/better get involved this year. Putting BWIll, Pierce, and Davis next to each other on obvious running down will be a thing of beauty
I don't think it's possible our O can be any worse next year, but Ravens football has always been about defense to me
And I'm already excited to watch our D next year. Great job in FA FO

16 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

No, it doesn't change anything. Again, signing a guy like Claiborne doesn't shift your priorities in any way.

We're going to take the highest rated player on our board in the 1st round. It doesn't matter what position it is. Could be pass rusher, MLB, Corner, Safety, Offensive Line, TE, WR or even RB based on what I see.

Signing Claiborne doesn't change that, because we aren't going to just start saying "we must have a corner, so we must take one here". That's how you end up drafting that doesn't turn into a good football player.

8 hours ago, YorkCountyRaven said:
  16 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

The guy was a first round pick that has been in the league for 5 years.
He's never played 16 games and only got close to doing so once.
I don't see how we could even be considering him. Not only paying on him, but relying on him too. He makes Jimmy look like an Ironman.
This corner class is insane. Time to take a legit lock down #1. To not only pair with Jimmy and Tavon, but he can take over if Jimmy does go down. As well as take over for us in the future when Jimmy is not around.
Might be able to get away with pass rusher in the first and corner in the second, but that could be a huge mistake. There will be legit lock down corners ava. at 16 no matter what this year

I believe this exact same thing was said the year that Morris Claiborne was drafted in the 1st round...

We're not reaching for anybody just because we need that position. Never understood why fans think this would be the year that we would do something different, as if our needs this season were any bigger than they were in the past.

We were in a worse Corner spot this time last offseason than we are now, and we didn't draft one until the 4th round last year. That should tell you something.

We will end up with a Corner or two in the draft, but its not going to be in a set round range or anything resembling that.

Per La Canfora on twitter:

Ravens free agent DL Lawrence Guy is visiting the Patriots today.

I don't want to sound like someone who can only be grumpy (my avatar notwithstanding :D) - but losing Guy would IMHO be a much bigger loss than most people would think... He was one of the true unsung heroes of our D last season.

Edited by bioLarzen

9 hours ago, YorkCountyRaven said:

I agree, clayborn would be a great signing. Would open up all our options in the draft. I hope this goes through ASAP 

13 minutes ago, bioLarzen said:

I don't want to sound like someone who can only be grumpy (my avatar notwithstanding :D) - but losing Guy would IMHO be a much bigger loss than most people would think... He was one of the true unsung heroes of our D last season.

Agreed, but at some point we have to expect guys like Urban, Kuafusi and Davis to step up.  I think Ozzie will find a veteran, Chris Canty-type guy later in FA to plug any remaining voids on the D Line.  Edge rusher and CB are the biggest concerns, IMO.

17 minutes ago, bioLarzen said:

I agree 100 percent. Guy has done nothing but outplay every contract we handed him. It would be a shame if he gets overlooked and lands with the pats on a team friendly deal

2 minutes ago, BigUgly said:

Agreed, but at some point we have to expect guys like Urban, Kuafusi and Davis to step up.  I think Ozzie will find a veteran, Chris Canty-type guy later in FA to plug any remaining voids on the D Line.  Edge rusher and CB are the biggest concerns, IMO.

Connor Barwin is still out there! He's a perfect fit! 

13 minutes ago, bioLarzen said:

4 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:

Zach Brown anybody????
I have a hard time thinking we're not going after him right now
Signing Jefferson and Keeping BWill just improved our run D from last year already. If we add Brown, we will have THE best run D the whole year next year. We all loved Orr, but Brown would be a upgrade over Orr vs the run
Not to mention Carl Davis should/better get involved this year. Putting BWIll, Pierce, and Davis next to each other on obvious running down will be a thing of beauty
I don't think it's possible our O can be any worse next year, but Ravens football has always been about defense to me
And I'm already excited to watch our D next year. Great job in FA FO

I'm also very excited to see this revamped D next year. I also really like Zack brown but don't think it's the best fit. We need a ILB that is better than Mosley at coverage so Mosley can stay close to the line where he's at his best and his partner can drop more. That's what made Orr a perfect fit. 

Bring in Connor Barwin he's been cut so he wouldn't count against Compensatory picks for next year. I also wouldn't have a problem with DJ Fluker at RG. He is a strong run blocker who could shift inside from tackle. He might not get exposed inside against pass rushers.

I agree wholeheartedly! LG is one gritty SOB and has done everything we have asked! He has never let us down and I really DO NOT want to lose him. Please stay Mr. Guy!

5 hours ago, bioLarzen said:

Sure - but as long as Guy is better, it would be a mistake to let him go - and once Urban or Kaufusi outplays him, they'll start anyway.
Also, our linebacker corps is rather devoid of vested veteran presence of whom our young guns can learn a lot.

Think you should update this to let everyone know that Guy signed with the Pats for 4 years and around $20 mil.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:35 AM, YorkCountyRaven said:
  On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:43 PM, rmcjacket23 said:

No, it doesn't change anything. Again, signing a guy like Claiborne doesn't shift your priorities in any way.

We're going to take the highest rated player on our board in the 1st round. It doesn't matter what position it is. Could be pass rusher, MLB, Corner, Safety, Offensive Line, TE, WR or even RB based on what I see.

Signing Claiborne doesn't change that, because we aren't going to just start saying "we must have a corner, so we must take one here". That's how you end up drafting that doesn't turn into a good football player.

Don't agree, you make it seem like there cannot be players, of similar level in competing positions, that are absolutely more important to add to a given roster. for that matter the Claibourne signing, if it happens, absolutely would have an effect on "priority". What it would not change is the choice of players who will be available for the Ravens at #16.

Why do teams trade positions if they didn't want to improve an immediate need? (of course as Romo shows still can bite you I=A)
Most teams don't trade up for the #1 QB or RB, why because they have solid filled positions. Not because he is the most talented player in the Draft, its a position decision.
It happens all the time.
So the 2 go hand in hand, one plus the other makes the best choice for the team. It s the most logical and the most historically.

Also you say on "our board" so " position need" plays into that decision.

Now sure one can argue which position is of the larger need, this seems to be the stronger of the argument that the post is referring to.

All being said, no one expects the Ravens or any team to take a 2nd round prospect over a 1st round prospect just because of position. Not that it probably hasn't happened, I would say is a rarity

6 minutes ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

Don't agree, you make it seem like there cannot be players, of similar level in competing positions, that are absolutely more important to add to a given roster. for that matter the Claibourne signing, if it happens, absolutely would have an effect on "priority". What it would not change is the choice of players who will be available for the Ravens at #16.

Why do teams trade positions if they didn't want to improve an immediate need? (of course as Romo shows still can bite you I=A)
Most teams don't trade up for the #1 QB or RB, why because they have solid filled positions. Not because he is the most talented player in the Draft, its a position decision.
It happens all the time.
So the 2 go hand in hand, one plus the other makes the best choice for the team. It s the most logical and the most historically.

Now sure one can argue which position is of the larger need, this seems to be the stronger of the argument that the post is referring to.

All being said, no one expects the Ravens or any team to take a 2nd round prospect over a 1st round prospect just because of position. Not that it probably hasn't happened, I would say is a rarity

When it comes to the draft the ravens will always go with the guy highest on their board.  Which is the BPA.  If they think they can trade back and still get that player then that is when they will make a trade. Whoever that guy is they are going to go with regardless of what position which is what he is saying.  The board is already set up so it doesn't matter what position the player is if he is the BPA then he is getting selected.  I don't think he is arguing with how the board is put together he is simply saying come draft time it doesn't matter because that whole hypothetical situation of these players are close, but this position is more of a priority. 

For example say this is our board and we are on the clock: (think of this list as how we are viewing actual players in the draft and not like they are the actual players)

1. Ed Reed 2. Todd Heap 3. Ben Grubbs 4. Anquan Boldin

Now we need a Guard since Alex Lewis might be kicking out to tackle and this Ben Grubbs type of guard would be a great addition. We also need a receiver and this Boldin type of player would really benefit Joe.   We don't really need a free safety, but we aren't going to pass on this Ed Reed type of player when we think he is the best player on the board.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:47 AM, rmcjacket23 said:
  On 3/10/2017 at 0:35 AM, YorkCountyRaven said:
  On 3/9/2017 at 4:43 PM, rmcjacket23 said:

It happens all the time.

1. Don't see how signing somebody like Claiborne changes priority in the slightest. If you signed like a Stephon Gilmore to a monster contract, THEN it would change priority.

Signing a low level FA to a small contract with little or no guaranteed money (which is what we would do) doesn't change priority in the slightest, because its essentially a year to year contract.

Ozzie has told the public this probably thousands of times... the purpose of FA for the Ravens is to address certain positional needs so that the Ravens don't have to take a positional need in the 1st round. They use FA to make sure that the BPA strategy is still available in the draft.

2. When I reference "our board", it means the FO will design our draft board in a way that it eliminates certain positions for consideration from being the 1st round pick. For example, they almost certainly won't have a QB with a first round grade, because we don't want or need to address QB at that spot. Our rankings and ratings are put together based on a draft board we assemble to reflect positions we are interested in.

In some years, that draft board probably narrows down to maybe 3-4 positions. This year, almost every position would be a viable choice, because we have so many positions we can upgrade.

The entire purpose of FA for the Ravens (which is somewhat different than other teams) is that they don't have to assign a priority to certain positions per se in the first round of the draft. FA allows them to pick anybody at mostly any spot.

I will also point out that not every team has the same strategy obviously, and different franchises view FA and the draft differently than others. There are franchises who view it quite the opposite as the Ravens, wherein they use the draft as a place to attempt to upgrade need positions.

47 minutes ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

It happens all the time.

When it comes to the draft the ravens will always go with the guy highest on their board.  Which is the BPA.  If they think they can trade back and still get that player then that is when they will make a trade. Whoever that guy is they are going to go with regardless of what position which is what he is saying.  The board is already set up so it doesn't matter what position the player is if he is the BPA then he is getting selected.  I don't think he is arguing with how the board is put together he is simply saying come draft time it doesn't matter because that whole hypothetical situation of these players are close, but this position is more of a priority. 

For example say this is our board and we are on the clock: (think of this list as how we are viewing actual players in the draft and not like they are the actual players)

Now we need a Guard since Alex Lewis might be kicking out to tackle and this Ben Grubbs type of guard would be a great addition. We also need a receiver and this Boldin type of player would really benefit Joe.   We don't really need a free safety, but we aren't going to pass on this Ed Reed type of player when we think he is the best player on the board.

The trick with the "BPA" ohilosophy is that we don't know what factors in for the evaluation. For example: how much the guy's position is a need position for us - does that factor in? We don't know.

1 hour ago, 52liveforever said:
  1 hour ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

It happens all the time.

The trick with the "BPA" ohilosophy is that we don't know what factors in for the evaluation. For example: how much the guy's position is a need position for us - does that factor in? We don't know.

Conventional wisdom says it has to, because in pretty much every year you can think of, our 1st round pick was at a position of "need".

It might not be THE position of need necessarily, but its a position we want to upgrade.

"However, Claiborne has struggled with injuries throughout his career" He will fit right in with Jimmy.