BR News

[News] 2017 Ravens Free Agency Rumor Mill

203 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

Boldin apparently wants to sign with Detroit or he will retire.

We've heard that one before.

Torrey would be a welcome return at the right price. His lack of performance should ensure we get him cheap and we know he and Joe can make it happen.
Of course that assumes we get 2 more offensive lineman that can play with Yanda and Stanley and hopefully sign Mangold. Otherwise it won't matter if we have jerry rice, joe montana and calvin johnson.....flacco will be running for his life before he goes out with a career ending injury. I guess he cares more about money (that he will never spend) than winning and his health. For such a smart guy he is behaving very stupidly. Every good QB that wants to win should be looking at what Tom Brady did.....took a huge pay cut to build a great team around him. i guess Joe either doesn't care or doesn't believe a better team will make a difference. In either case he should just retire and play with his kids for the next 20 years.....he is obviously not really a team player. Mallett can get to 8-8 at 1/10 the price.
This should be the end of the Harbaugh era. He had a real good run but it is obviously over....5-11, 8-8 and this season will be much worse. The team has been gutted with the loss of Brandon Williams and Rick Wagner.....and I mean really gutted. These 2 embodied the young and physically dominant ravens. The sad fact is that they cannot and will not be replaced with guys of equal talent leaving a more mediocre team.
The only hope for the Ravens is cut or trade Flacco, Smith, and Suggs to develop some cap space and get higher draft picks. This should be a rebuilding year, to say the least. Flacco, Smith and Suggs have done nothing for this team in the last few years and are making way too much money. There is Nothing to lose by giving younger and hungrier players a chance to shine.

Torrey replacing Wallace would have been a nice one - if it meant a couple of millions in cap savings. But if I had to choose between the two on a similar cap figure, I'd have no hesiation choosing Wallace over Torrey.

The only sad thing is that all these signings probably mean that we won't get Mangold, but stick with Zuttah at C...

Hey, he's still better than Gradkowski was...

Edited by bioLarzen

The only sad thing is that all these signings probably mean that we won't get Mangold, but stick with Zuttah at C...

Hey, he's still better than Gradkowski was...

True, but hopefully we address Center in this draft and not with an undersized one like Gradkowski.

Torrey replacing Wallace would have been a nice one - if it meant a couple of millions in cap savings. But if I had to choose between the two on a similar cap figure, I'd have no hesiation choosing Wallace over Torrey.

I also prefer Wallace!

Connor Barwin please!!!!!!!

perfect fit! He does it all! Please Ozzie please pull the trigger! Our D would be so unpredictable with him and Jefferson blitzing from anywhere! 

Can we please keep Williams. We know he want to be here and will take a minor decrease in annual pay. Let's get the deal done!!!

hope we can retain Williams...I'd also like to see us sign John Simon. Good against the run and a sneaky pass rusher. Would provide some depth and could be a starter...

No news about Williams visiting other teams is good news. I think this signals that he will stay here in Baltimore, especially since he is refusing visits and he and his agents are trying as hard as they can to work a deal with Baltimore. With the effort Williams has put in to stay in Baltimore, Ozzie should be fired if they can't work it out. Hardly ever do we see a player not chase the dollars and Williams has shown, athletically, he is worth whatever we give him.

Connor Barwin please!!!!!!!

perfect fit! He does it all! Please Ozzie please pull the trigger! Our D would be so unpredictable with him and Jefferson blitzing from anywhere! 

Agreed. His production slacked off when he went from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and he had to put his hand in the dirt. Barwin has been a beast playing the Ravens and has made Flaccos life miserable. I think until we can lock down some young outside rushing talent or our exisating young talent develops, Barwin is a good investment.

Say what you want about our front office but they are trying their best to keep B. Williams. If they weren't trying he would definitely be gone by now.

35 minutes ago, cobrajet said:

True, but hopefully we address Center in this draft and not with an undersized one like Gradkowski.

Pocic will probably be available in the second round, Elflein may even last for round#3... Both could work out.
That said, we still have obvious roster holes at CB, RT and rusher. That would make it seem probable that these are the positions Ozzie will address with the first 3 picks. So, I would think Elflein is a lieklier possibility than Pocic.

And of course, all this comes from a simple fan with little info - one who said yesterday that it's self-deception to think we have a chance to land Jefferson :)

38 minutes ago, cobrajet said:

Pocic will probably be available in the second round, Elflein may even last for round#3... Both could work out.
That said, we still have obvious roster holes at CB, RT and rusher. That would make it seem probable that these are the positions Ozzie will address with the first 3 picks. So, I would think Elflein is a lieklier possibility than Pocic.

And of course, all this comes from a simple fan with little info - one who said yesterday that it's self-deception to think we have a chance to land Jefferson :)

Don't feel bad I did not think we could land Jefferson and I thought for sure Williams would be the first gone and there are rumors that we may be able to keep him. I never had a thought of that happening.

10 minutes ago, bioLarzen said:

i would be incredibly surprised if pat elflein made it even close to the 3rd round, pocic i see as far more likely to make it to the 3rd

21 minutes ago, fusuymada said:

No news about Williams visiting other teams is good news. I think this signals that he will stay here in Baltimore, especially since he is refusing visits and he and his agents are trying as hard as they can to work a deal with Baltimore. With the effort Williams has put in to stay in Baltimore, Ozzie should be fired if they can't work it out. Hardly ever do we see a player not chase the dollars and Williams has shown, athletically, he is worth whatever we give him.

Amen, I agree. He is trying to stay loyal to his team

Don't see the need for Claiborne with such a deep draft class at the position. Plus cbs cost a lot on the market. Let's get back to the Raven way and build via the draft and UDFAs. FO seems to be losing their touch.

i do not see anymore signings coming until they have a resolution on williams whether he stays or goes.

Well, lets not kid ourselves.

The reason that Williams and his agents are trying to get a deal done with Baltimore is mostly because we're offering close to, if not the most, amount of money.

If we were like $2-3M a year below other teams, we wouldn't even be having a conversation right now.

And obviously, no GM should or would get fired for failing to sign a NT who doesn't rush the passer and plays about half of the defensive snaps.

Definitely a gross exaggeration and lacks perspective.

Don't see the need for Claiborne with such a deep draft class at the position. Plus cbs cost a lot on the market. Let's get back to the Raven way and build via the draft and UDFAs. FO seems to be losing their touch.

Signing Claiborne obviously wouldn't stop us from drafting a corner. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Even if all we do is draft a corner, that basically gives you Jimmy, Young (who is better in the slot) and a rookie.

Not exactly the depth we are looking for, especially when you're #1 corner misses time often.

When it comes to Corner, you're probably looking at a cheap veteran signing AND a decent draft pick, not OR a decent draft pick.

woodhead is a headscratcher, a lot of wear and tear, if ozze wants a RB like that he could've drafted mccaffrey,

jefferys signing is actually suprising, i guess u can call it a splash for the ravens. didn't excpect the ravens to do much in early phase of FA.

I'm just hoping with agents these days creating artificial demand through false leaks, etc. the Ravens don't get suckered into overpaying for B. Williams. He needs to paid like a run stopping DT that he is, not a game changing D-tackle like say Ngata was.

woodhead is a headscratcher, a lot of wear and tear, if ozze wants a RB like that he could've drafted mccaffrey,

jefferys signing is actually suprising, i guess u can call it a splash for the ravens. didn't excpect the ravens to do much in early phase of FA.

McCaffery is going to be one of the best players from this draft class. I agree with you that we should trade down collect a couple of middle round picks and then pick him up later in the first.

Or you get a proven vet who still probably has a solid two years in the tank from being in a limited role over the years for very very cheap...

And then you can use your 1st round draft pick elsewhere that would be more beneficial for the team long term.

If the Ravens sign Claibourne on top of Jefferson, our secondary become immediately one of the better in the league. If they end up inking Williams to a deal then the defense is doing quite well and it changes where we can go in the draft. DeCosta tried to bluff everyone by saying the Ravens will be hot on defensive players in the draft, trying to throw people off because with the Free agent acquisitions, it looks like offensive playmakers may be in the offing come the draft. BUT, adding more defensive players certainly won't hurt knowing how quickly they can become injured during the season.

1 hour ago, krnraven said:

Signing Claiborne obviously wouldn't stop us from drafting a corner. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Even if all we do is draft a corner, that basically gives you Jimmy, Young (who is better in the slot) and a rookie.

Not exactly the depth we are looking for, especially when you're #1 corner misses time often.

When it comes to Corner, you're probably looking at a cheap veteran signing AND a decent draft pick, not OR a decent draft pick.

They do have something do with each other. It means we have don't sign a FA Cb whose price is high due to demand. And we can draft two CBs. One oft injured cb to alleviate another oft injured cb is not a plan.

And those FA cbs have worked out recently.

48 minutes ago, omar586 said:

Or you get a proven vet who still probably has a solid two years in the tank from being in a limited role over the years for very very cheap...

And then you can use your 1st round draft pick elsewhere that would be more beneficial for the team long term.

If he can stay on the field. That guy is going to have some serious arthritis in his old age with all those injuries.

2 hours ago, fusuymada said:

Amen, I agree. He is trying to stay loyal to his team

Yea right, Other teams are clearing cap space and looking for a bigger armored truck to put the money in.I wonder why New England has not snagged him they have the space.

57 minutes ago, omar586 said:

You mean Jefferson.

Edited by bioLarzen