BR News

[News] 2017 Ravens Free Agency Rumor Mill

203 posts in this topic

The #Lions and OT Ricky Wagner have agreed in principle on a contract, source said. It will eclipse $9M per year, setting a new market.

He GONE!

1 hour ago, throwback2000 said:

I rely on the eyeball test!

you should purchase some glasses then

7 minutes ago, Rahul said:

The #Lions and OT Ricky Wagner have agreed in principle on a contract, source said. It will eclipse $9M per year, setting a new market.

He GONE!

we will surely get a 3rd round pick for that then... gotta be

Why settle on a city and organization like Detroit?? I completely understand leaving the Ravens for the money but you have to believe there were better options out there pay the same or damn near close to it? Detroit is a dump

1 minute ago, stuckonaboat13 said:

Why settle on a city and organization like Detroit?? I completely understand leaving the Ravens for the money but you have to believe there were better options out there pay the same or damn near close to it? Detroit is a dump

it sounds like there was a bidding war of sorts and detroit "won"

The fact that there are no rumors out there about Brandon Williams talking to other teams makes me optimistic that we will resign him.

Just gonna toss this out there: DT: Dontari Poe. He is one of the strongest guys out there and before having a back injury he was a very good player. He's had an injury marred season and last season was his first one back from the injury and he under performed. Might be a 1 year "let's see" contract to re-establish his market.

Probably not at the money he is looking for. Pierce will fill in nicely.

9 million for a RT? these contracts have gotten out of control. viewership has been slowly slipping and these ridiculous contracts will not help. detroit will regret this in 2 years when they make him a cap casualty

Could save a couple Million , if we sign Torrey and cut M Wallace, both the same player, Torrey is a Raven at heart...

FO continues to fail through again and again. If we do not manage to sign one of the top WRs we have failed the FA cause we have no managed to fill one hole that we needed to.

1 minute ago, RaRaRavens said:

FO continues to fail through again and again. If we do not manage to sign one of the top WRs we have failed the FA cause we have no managed to fill one hole that we needed to.

I don't know why anyone thought we'd bring in one of the premier free agents - we are much more likely to get someone further down the line who is cheaper: Marshall wanted to stay in New York, garçon is going to get paid 16 mill in his first year, Jeffry, Pryor and Jackson etc will certainly be looking for deals we can't afford either 

37 minutes ago, budman said:

Pierce, Willie Henry and Carl Davis. I'm not that worried about the DT position at all, really the more I think about it.

41 minutes ago, budman said:

Pierce, Willie Henry and Carl Davis. I'm not that worried about the DT position at all, really the more I think about it.

Timmy Jernigan also - With Kafusi, Urban, and possible L Guy on the outside.

1 hour ago, Rahul said:

He GONE!

we will surely get a 3rd round pick for that then... gotta be

yep

Honestly why would Pitta take a pay cut? He really did earn that money this year and looks poised to do it again. If the Ravens cut him he knows there will be plenty of teams on the open market willing to pay for his services. One scary idea would be New England sweeping him up since they lost Bennett. Can you imagine the stress trying to cover Pitta and Gronk

Steve Smith Sr‏Verified account @89SteveSmith 5m5 minutes ago
More
Source: #Ravens will release
#ElvisDumervil

Just now, hen826957 said:

Ravens should've gotten Marshall, no Garçon as well. bioLarzen you were right.

marshall wasnt leaving new york and garcon was way out of ravens price range

1 minute ago, rossihunter2 said:

marshall wasnt leaving new york and garcon was way out of ravens price range

Yeah, Garçon got 16M his first year so that was out of the question but Marshall l thought they could get. All 

well. 

1 minute ago, hen826957 said:

Yeah, Garçon got 16M his first year so that was out of the question but Marshall l thought they could get. All 

well. 

Marshall would have been a good addition. I don t see us getting Jeffery. Maybe our possesion wr will be from draft or maybe we will move either Waller or Pitta at WR.

While it frustrates Ravens fans to lose guys we liked it really is why we are always
viewed as contenders. 49ers are a perfect example, they are going to pay 16 mil
to Garcon which is way to high and they don't even have a QB to throw to him.
That is why teams fail.

1 minute ago, crazyboutravens said:

While it frustrates Ravens fans to lose guys we liked it really is why we are always
viewed as contenders. 49ers are a perfect example, they are going to pay 16 mil
to Garcon which is way to high and they don't even have a QB to throw to him.
That is why teams fail.

havent you heard? brian hoyer will be throwing passes to garcon now... maybe marquise goodwin too :TVWatchingSmiley:

2 hours ago, The Greek said:

9 million for a RT? these contracts have gotten out of control. viewership has been slowly slipping and these ridiculous contracts will not help. detroit will regret this in 2 years when they make him a cap casualty

LOL Most of the time it always does. I wonder how much the Ravens offer because if it's like 6-7M, Wagner should've just take that. 2-3 years later, Detroit cuts him and Wagner will be saying " l've should've took the Ravens offer in the beginning." 😅 

Why keep Pitta even at a reduced salary? Disappointing. He's going to hold this offense up big time because for no fault of his he's unable to generate separation or gain yards after catch. On top of that he's had way too many drops recently. On the contrary, I would've loved to keep Dumervil because now we don't have a D nor do we have an O protecting a QB that is terrible without it.

2 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

I don't know why anyone thought we'd bring in one of the premier free agents - we are much more likely to get someone further down the line who is cheaper: Marshall wanted to stay in New York, garçon is going to get paid 16 mill in his first year, Jeffry, Pryor and Jackson etc will certainly be looking for deals we can't afford either 

We needed to bring in at least 1 "big name" FA to fill a need to even pretend we can compete in 2017. It seems people do not comprehend how many voids we must fill. WR position was our best chance to do it and hope we can solve the rest. We will literally have almost half the roster to fill.

Edited by RaRaRavens

Just now, RaRaRavens said:

We needed to bring in at least 1 "big name" FA to fill a need to even pretend we can compete in 2017. It seems people do not comprehend how many void we must fill. WR was our best chance to do it. We will literally have almost half the roster to fill.

not really - none of the big names look worth the money they will command

5 minutes ago, RaRaRavens said:

We needed to bring in at least 1 "big name" FA to fill a need to even pretend we can compete in 2017. It seems people do not comprehend how many voids we must fill. WR position was our best chance to do it and hope we can solve the rest. We will literally have almost half the roster to fill.

This is how the ravens operate in free agency. They never make a big splash in the beginning just be patient there will be more roster cuts as the off-season progresses and Ozzie will find some players that fit our needs 

2 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

I think people comprehend the number of voids, which is pretty much the exact reason why you DON'T go sign a big name FA. If you go sign a big name FA, you don't have the money to spend to address many of the other positions we need to address.

And no, I doubt the FO is sitting there with a "SB or bust" mentality for 2017 when they too are aware of how we need to get much, much younger on defense and add some playmakers on both sides of the ball.

If the fanbase knows how much talent infusion we need, I would dare say they know exponentially more. And I certainly know they're aware that its not a 1 year proposition.

3 hours ago, The Greek said:

LOL Most of the time it always does. I wonder how much the Ravens offer because if it's like 6-7M, Wagner should've just take that. 2-3 years later, Detroit cuts him and Wagner will be saying " l've should've took the Ravens offer in the beginning." 😅 

He can't bank on that though.

What if he took less and in 2-3 years the Ravens cut him because he wasn't performing well?

We need to stop pretending like these guys that we resign stay here forever.