usmccharles

Anyone ever owned an RV? DIY live in bus? lets hear about

8 posts in this topic

So as a single guy, for the last 2-3 years I have been very interested in making a bus a live in home.  Rip out the interior, re-floor the whole thing, insulation, kitchen, etc...you get the idea.  I have read many blogs and watched many videos and its something I could do in my opinion.  You can get old school buses fairly cheap, ive seen them around 3500$ and since you are ripping out the interior the condition of anything outside the engine, transmission doesn't matter that much, excluding rust.  Im just curious if anyone has ever done such a thing.  This would be my first choice as its cheaper, more rewarding....but mainly cheaper.    pV5Gx0f.jpg

Preferably without the pregnant woman

Then there is the typical RV idea.  Some can be expensive and some I have seen around 20k.  I am not familiar with RVs at all.  I don't know if you can get loans on them like a normal car or if they extend loans similar to a house purchase.  Im also not sure about how much it would cost to park either of the two when traveling the country or just living in one and find a permanent place to park.  This is definitely an interesting topic to me but its hard finding people around my age that are interested in such a thing.  Any discussion would be appreciated. 

Edited by usmccharles

Haven't done it, but the DIY and FYI channels have several shows on tiny house building and they've showed these conversions a few times.  You can probably find info on their websites.

I have about ten to fifteen years before I retire, but my wife and I have pretty much decided to get an RV ( be it a trailer or mobile home ) for retirement.
Building my own never occurred to me.  I work on cars for a living so this would be right up my alley. 

On 2/25/2017 at 1:55 PM, Moderator 3 said:

Haven't done it, but the DIY and FYI channels have several shows on tiny house building and they've showed these conversions a few times.  You can probably find info on their websites.

Yea i have watched many videos on the subject

23 hours ago, K-Dog said:

I have about ten to fifteen years before I retire, but my wife and I have pretty much decided to get an RV ( be it a trailer or mobile home ) for retirement.
Building my own never occurred to me.  I work on cars for a living so this would be right up my alley. 

Yea i have built many race cars and street bikes in my life, so this intrigued be a bit more.  For your situation im assuming your financially more stable than i am so purchasing a ready to go RV for the amount of cost most likely makes more sense for you. 

Although, this could be an interesting business idea, build live in buses for people

I have an RV. Scrap the school bus idea. By time you do work and put money into it to live in you can find an older but modernized RV for not much more. Search over a broad area and give it time for a deal to surface. Be willing to drive several hours for the right deal. If you have to drive 500 miles or so then so be it. You can get loans on them like a house or car. What kind of cars have you built over the years?

On 2/27/2017 at 8:03 AM, PurpleHorseman said:

I have an RV. Scrap the school bus idea. By time you do work and put money into it to live in you can find an older but modernized RV for not much more. Search over a broad area and give it time for a deal to surface. Be willing to drive several hours for the right deal. If you have to drive 500 miles or so then so be it. You can get loans on them like a house or car. What kind of cars have you built over the years?

I have no issues traveling for a car, drove 16 hours to pick up a 91 Toyota MR-2 Turbo.  I have built cars from Eagle Talons, Neon Srt-4s, Trans Am, Chevelles, street bikes as in "crotch rockets."  i havent dealt with Harley's yet but thats most likely my next toy.  Its been sometime but i miss the hobby

I've read numerous blogs and researched a lot and know how to scrap stuff together pretty cheaply, yet still quality.  I like the idea of a school bus transformation because its my design, how i want it, any way.  Ive seen it done for around $10,000 and turned out pretty nice, i dont need marble floors or anything special, but i have an idea of what id like it to look like.  Also, this path allows me to work on it gradually as i dont just have the money for an RV sitting in the bank and not a huge fan of going in debt. 

Some of the buses RV on the tailgate lots are impressive.  My family has joked since 1999 getting a 'dirt yacht' and let me sleep in it the Saturday before a game since I am a royal not nice person to get going in the morning.  I hate following RV going to the OBX, but in the all in one you can move around somewhat in traffic and don't have to stop for the 'conviences', but you are stuck taking your living quarters with you.

40 minutes ago, Moderator 2 said:

Some of the buses RV on the tailgate lots are impressive.  My family has joked since 1999 getting a 'dirt yacht' and let me sleep in it the Saturday before a game since I am a royal not nice person to get going in the morning.  I hate following RV going to the OBX, but in the all in one you can move around somewhat in traffic and don't have to stop for the 'conviences', but you are stuck taking your living quarters with you.

I look at that as a positive.  Only thing i worry about is actually driving the thing around lol