• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BR News

[News] Looking Back On Scouting Reports For Ravens Players

18 posts in this topic

As the NFL Scouting Combine approaches, we take a look back to see what pundits said about future Ravens when they were in the pre-draft process. Some were pretty accurate, while others were not so great.

View the full article

"Flacco's ability to handle the greater speed of the NFL is the determining factor of his final draft status." Personally, I don't believe he has made this adaptation to the NFL game. He is still slow in reads forcing the quick check down. Early in his career he could extend plays like Big Ben to gain more time but later in his career and definitely after his knee injury, without the mobility, the game is still too fast for him. He needs better than average front line to give him that time so he can make the reads that he presently can not because of the game speed.

"Made proper check-downs in second year in the Delaware offense" That he has become a master at.

"Has shown the ability to handle two different offensive schemes in making a successful transition from Pittsburgh to Delaware" after 6 offensive coordinators, he surely has shown he can handle more than one offense, however handling them does not constitute mastering them and swapping OCs as often as the Ravens have, I believe constitutes a lot of his problems including becoming comfortable enough in an offense that the game can slow down for him and he doesn't have to rely on the check down. Therefore, his faults listed above can be blamed on the Ravens as much as being blamed on Flacco himself. The only gripe about Flacco is putting in the extra work with his receivers and running backs so he becomes more comfortable in the offense but once again, if he doesn't know what the offense is because we are changing coordinators, its hard to get on the same page with his players.

All in all I believe the scouting information on Flacco was accurate and the Ravens have done him a huge disservice by changing offenses more than Harbaugh says we are a run offense.

Flacco's best skill/ trait was that he was able to fool the Ravens into making him the highest paid QB- once he got that fat contract, he never lived up to it, but then he tricked Oz again, when he got his contract resctructured- lol.. He's not elite, and he's not even that good any more.. but somehow, we made him one of the highest paid QBs- smh on this one

"Learned to read defenses better as a senior ... Made proper check-downs in second year"....
It is continuous product improvement with Flacco I suppose. Not quite there but we all hope he gets there soon each year.

We just need to survive 2017 and hopefully position for a wildcard.  That means shoring up our defensive secondary, shoring up the O-Line, restructuring Wallace, maybe maneuvering for Marshall, and committing to the run.  

The "Flacco effect" on the cap and the bulk of our dead money begins to come off the books in 2018 ($60+M in cap space), and more so in 2019 ($106M+).  

9 minutes ago, BigUgly said:

We just need to survive 2017 and hopefully position for a wildcard.  That means shoring up our defensive secondary, shoring up the O-Line, restructuring Wallace, maybe maneuvering for Marshall, and committing to the run.  

The "Flacco effect" on the cap and the bulk of our dead money begins to come off the books in 2018 ($60+M in cap space), and more so in 2019 ($106M+).  

I have no doubt in my mind that if Jimmy wasn't hurt we were going to make the playoffs, even with Joe playing the way he did.  Depending on FA and the draft, I think there is a good chance we are better next year. 

1 hour ago, OzzieBisciotti said:

Flacco's best skill/ trait was that he was able to fool the Ravens into making him the highest paid QB- once he got that fat contract, he never lived up to it, but then he tricked Oz again, when he got his contract resctructured- lol.. He's not elite, and he's not even that good any more.. but somehow, we made him one of the highest paid QBs- smh on this one

Maybe if the FO would have provided adequate weapons and this has been his career then I would actually agree with you.  But going through the offensive scheme changes he has and all the different OCs, not to mention getting rid of Boldin after the SP, not correctly finding a replacement for Torrey, Pitta getting hurt, losing the RB that helped make the offense what it was.  I have no issue admitting that Joe has no played good in quite some time, but I also put half of that on the FO for not surrounding him with playmakers. 

2 hours ago, BigUgly said:

I have no doubt in my mind that if Jimmy wasn't hurt we were going to make the playoffs, even with Joe playing the way he did.  Depending on FA and the draft, I think there is a good chance we are better next year. 

3 hours ago, OzzieBisciotti said:

Maybe if the FO would have provided adequate weapons and this has been his career then I would actually agree with you.  But going through the offensive scheme changes he has and all the different OCs, not to mention getting rid of Boldin after the SP, not correctly finding a replacement for Torrey, Pitta getting hurt, losing the RB that helped make the offense what it was.  I have no issue admitting that Joe has no played good in quite some time, but I also put half of that on the FO for not surrounding him with playmakers. 

Give him Julio Jones and he still won't throw the ball any better !

36 minutes ago, outkast1 said:

If you think having one of the best WRs in the NFL wouldnt improve Joe's game....then by all means, carry own and i will leave you be. 

1 hour ago, outkast1 said:

If you think having one of the best WRs in the NFL wouldnt improve Joe's game....then by all means, carry own and i will leave you be. 

We'll never have one of the best WRs in the NFL because Oz and DaCosta wouldn't be able to identify the best if he was standing right in front of them. Same thing can be said of safeties and tight ends as of late...Flacco would still be Avg Joe regardless unless he has a line like the cowboys protecting him...

The chargers didn't deserve Weddle. He should have been a Raven from rookie campaign.

We dont deserve him either - he's not going to make the playoffs with our team either

Just now, OzzieBisciotti said:

We'll never have one of the best WRs in the NFL because Oz and DaCosta wouldn't be able to identify the best if he was standing right in front of them. Same thing can be said of safeties and tight ends as of late...Flacco would still be Avg Joe regardless unless he has a line like the cowboys protecting him...

You might find this hard to believe, but i agree.  The FO has never been good at evaluating the WR position.  Maybe thats more of on the scouts than the FO.  I would love to talk to someone that knows how the process goes. 

This is how i think it goes which im sure im wrong.  Through the year, the scouts go through their respected territories and at the end of the year (maybe throughout the year) they submit player packages for each position and then OZ and D go through what the scouts submit.  Now if said scout doesnt even submit a package of A.Brown how does Oz and D even know about him.  Pretty laymen but i cant picture Oz and D going through random high school videos on youtube or and finding gems from Mountain Home, AR for example.  

6 hours ago, usmccharles said:

it would improve his numbers.
only QBs themselves can improve their own game.

julio wont improve flacco footwork or stop him from throwing off his back foot or stare down a receiver and throw it in double coverage lol.

he will however make plays our current receivers cant make like he would probably catch and hang on onto those high passes and he probably dont drop passes when his is wide open.

5 hours ago, Tru11 said:

it would improve his numbers.
only QBs themselves can improve their own game.

julio wont improve flacco footwork or stop him from throwing off his back foot or stare down a receiver and throw it in double coverage lol.

he will however make plays our current receivers cant make like he would probably catch and hang on onto those high passes and he probably dont drop passes when his is wide open.

This is my point.  How many times have we had players drop crucial 1st downs, TDs, etc....Hell. TJ Houshawhatever ended our season by dropping a 1st down which hit him right in the hands.  I know a WR doesn't improve pocket awareness, mechanics, etc....but there is no way having a WR the caliber of Julio wouldn't help this offense.

1 hour ago, usmccharles said:

This is my point.  How many times have we had players drop crucial 1st downs, TDs, etc....Hell. TJ Houshawhatever ended our season by dropping a 1st down which hit him right in the hands.  I know a WR doesn't improve pocket awareness, mechanics, etc....but there is no way having a WR the caliber of Julio wouldn't help this offense.

He could improve this offense that is for sure but tbh that is not really that hard to do anyways lol.

TBH if flacco can hit his receivers in stride and these receivers can make the clean catch then we have a very potent offense.

Perriman and Wallace can take any short pass to the house if they can make a catch without losing momentum.

Julio is good but not even he will be able to catch a jump ball on a slant, come down , break tackles and pick up YAC.
Odds are high he will be taking huge hits and end on IR like the rest of our team lol

7 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

He could improve this offense that is for sure but tbh that is not really that hard to do anyways lol.

TBH if flacco can hit his receivers in stride and these receivers can make the clean catch then we have a very potent offense.

Perriman and Wallace can take any short pass to the house if they can make a catch without losing momentum.

Julio is good but not even he will be able to catch a jump ball on a slant, come down , break tackles and pick up YAC.
Odds are high he will be taking huge hits and end on IR like the rest of our team lol

I definitely get what your saying and technically agree, ive never been one to advocate for us trying to bring in a "elite" WR because I would rather have a collection of good WRs that just one good one, our SB year is exactly what I prefer.