• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
BR News

[News] Eisenberg: Grabbing A First-Round Cornerback Is The Best Route For Baltimore, But ...

69 posts in this topic

The Ravens have a chance to nab an elite pass defender for the future foundation of the defense. There are so many other needs, however, that it'd be hard to be complain if Baltimore instead targets a leading pass rusher, a top offensive lineman or another playmaker for Joe Flacco.

View the full article

I think there's a real chance that either Cook or Mike Williams are on the board at 16, depending on how the QB needy teams pick ahead of us. But even if we don't land those two, we could still get one of the top 3 CBs, a top 2 safety, or a premier edge rusher. Even if all that fails, we'll be looking at a top offensive lineman (like that kid Lamp out of WKU) and I haven't even said anything about Fournette, McCaffrey, the two big name TEs in this draft. There is no reason our 1st round pick this year can't be a day 1, season long starter and immediate roster upgrade.

with the needs we have, i highly doubt that ozzie will pick a RB in 1st rnd, it will be tempting to pass on a players like WR williams or Davis, but we need help at OL, Pass rush, CBs positions, more than any other position, the more QBs get picked head of us the better chances we pick a plug n play player.

5 minutes ago, omar586 said:

with the needs we have, i highly doubt that ozzie will pick a RB in 1st rnd, it will be tempting to pass on a players like WR williams or Davis, but we need help at OL, Pass rush, CBs positions, more than any other position, the more QBs get picked head of us the better chances we pick a plug n play player.

"The Ravens haven’t drafted a cornerback in the first three rounds since they made Jimmy Smith their top pick in 2011." ... that fact alone begs us to pick a CB high. I originally felt that we needed to make that our #1 but the more I think about it, it really doesn't have to be. Bottom line is we need an absolute difference making player and .. other than TE, ILB and QB ... I really don't know that I care what position that is. If there is an early run on CBs and a jaw-dropping talent like either Williams or Cooks are there ... then take them. 

O line ... yes, we have needs but the draft doesn't look to be stellar at this position at the top. I prefer that we keep Wagner, if at all possible, and bring in an upgrade for Zuttah in FA and draft mid-round depth. 

the more qb's picked before us the better value we end up with plus it makes our pick that much more attractive to teams drafting behind us. i hope we do not trade back but if the trade offer is too sweet to pass up on than we all know ozzie will take it. im just tired of hoarding picks we end up losing in 4 years

or another playmaker for Joe Flacco ? Flacco won't throw the ball any better with 10 play makers ! Draft all defense with the first 3 picks.

the more qb's picked before us the better value we end up with plus it makes our pick that much more attractive to teams drafting behind us. i hope we do not trade back but if the trade offer is too sweet to pass up on than we all know ozzie will take it. im just tired of hoarding picks we end up losing in 4 years

And those trade backs haven't resulted in pro bowl players either. We need studs, not role players.

I've said it many times here the past few weeks, I know: this year we cannot really pick a bad position. The wrong guy maybe - but npot thr wrong position. Assuming Ozzie doesn't go for a QB, a P or a K at #16 (and I guess we can safely assume that much) - he could almost choose a position randomly and be still good with it.

Pass rusher, pass rusher, pass rusher. Hopefully one that can also be seen as a legit D lineman. The better a team pressures the QB the better the DB's will look.

Free Agency and 15 picks before us will dictate who we take but we could have won more games and made the playoffs with just a few Defensive stops in the 4th quarter a lot of that was coaching but we had guys that couldn't tackle wouldn't tackle didn't know who to cover and when they did didn't cover we need help on the Defense more but if you can get the best RB or WR in the draft at 16 you have to think about it I on the other hand would go Pass rusher 1st RD cb 2nd rd

Pass rusher, pass rusher, pass rusher. Hopefully one that can also be seen as a legit D lineman. The better a team pressures the QB the better the DB's will look.

How can you not expect the young Ravens LB and DT's not to be better in the rush this year coming? The Ravens are loaded with talent. The backfield must get the QB to hold the ball another second and the sacks will come. Coverage has to improve,
I understand your point however who can you expect to strengthen this Defensive backfield? Smith, Weddle Webb? Only Young is on the up hill climb.
Also if Zuttah leaves, the Ravens will almost be forced to take a top Center.
I could see the Ravens going Pass Rush round 2 or 3 but if the player is not there they will wait and grab one in the late rounds.

chicken or the egg? but also its a depth issue, the Ravens are deep at LB and DT.

I forgot we have to get a safety that can lay the wood I don't care if he can cover as long as he can hit hard over the middle watch how many receivers forget to catch the ball

As much as I'd like a top WR or CB we need a Pass Rusher bad. That's part of the reason we didn't finish out game's last year because the QB had so much time to do what he wanted back there in the pocket.

1 hour ago, The Greek said:

And those trade backs haven't resulted in pro bowl players either. We need studs, not role players.

Exactly when we trade back we only get guys for special teams or guys that don't make the team we need Quality players not Quantity you can get Special team players after draft as RFA

What a pointless article. This is exactly the way everyone on the message board already feels. Yes, an elite CB or rusher is wanted, but the value might be better at WR, OL or RB if the other top tier rushers or CBs are gone. We won't know how it breaks down until the draft. 

You started with a CB and ended up with every other positional need for the Ravens! You have an uncanny gift of waffling while claiming not having the ability to waffle John! lol

1 hour ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

Here is my opinion; #1 Cornerback - #2 Center - #3 Wide Receiver- #4 Safety - #5 OLB/DE #6 Guard.

The laundry list lol it will all depend on value. But we had the 30th ranked pass rush. It is undeniably the first or second major need 

1st Cornerback, 2nd LB or DE, 3rd Center, 4th a RB. Trade the other draft picks to move up in each of the first 4 rounds to get a quality player. We have enough bench warmers. I would love to see us get TE Howard from Ala. We then could cut the other thousand TE's we have warming the bench.

Free Agency and 15 picks before us will dictate who we take but we could have won more games and made the playoffs with just a few Defensive stops in the 4th quarter a lot of that was coaching but we had guys that couldn't tackle wouldn't tackle didn't know who to cover and when they did didn't cover we need help on the Defense more but if you can get the best RB or WR in the draft at 16 you have to think about it I on the other hand would go Pass rusher 1st RD cb 2nd rd

still wondering why pees is still here

1 hour ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

How can you not expect the young Ravens LB and DT's not to be better in the rush this year coming? The Ravens are loaded with talent. The backfield must get the QB to hold the ball another second and the sacks will come. Coverage has to improve,
I understand your point however who can you expect to strengthen this Defensive backfield? Smith, Weddle Webb? Only Young is on the up hill climb.
Also if Zuttah leaves, the Ravens will almost be forced to take a top Center.
I could see the Ravens going Pass Rush round 2 or 3 but if the player is not there they will wait and grab one in the late rounds.

chicken or the egg? but also its a depth issue, the Ravens are deep at LB and DT.

the problem is pees is not good at utilizing the talent he has and is not creative whatsoever

I would like to see Oz and staff pick a top tier CB in the first but we also need a pass rusher a O-lineman and WR preferably a couple at each position. They are all needs as we go forward.You can even add MLB to that list with Orr retiring earlier this year.

Our major needs are: 

Edge, CB, C, G, WR, S. 

I definitely believe that Garrett, Allen and Fournette are gone at 16. Arguably so will Williams, Adams and Hooker, but crazier things have happened in the past. Based on that, this would be my big board only utilizing needs. 

1.) Derek Barnett, Edge--breaking records and being underestimated works well together, ask Sizzle. 

2.) Jamal Adams, S

3.) Mike Williams, WR

4.) Sidney Jones, CB

5.) Malik Hooker, S 

6.) Marshon Lattimore, CB--chronic injury history is troubling. 

7.) Reuben Foster, LB--top 5 talent, but other needs are prioritized. 

8.) Corey Davis, WR 

9.) Dalvin Cook, RB--DV history is troubling and RB is not immediate need, but he is a legit dual threat that easily makes home run plays. 

10.) Cam Robinson, G--he is going to be an absolute beast if moved inside to guard. His run blocking is immensely impressive. 

11.) Tim Williams, Edge--concerns are overblown, he has wicked rush skills. 

12.) Taco Charlton, edge--I don't think he will be a good fit but his skill in getting to the QB cannot be ignored. 

13.) Teez Tabor, CB--many concerns with maturity and being over aggressive, but that was the same concerns teams had with Marcus Peters and he turned out great. Kid has cover and ball skills.

14.) Takk McKinley, Edge--he had one great year and seems to be an explosive athlete that puts 100% in each play, but still is raw with pass rush moves. 

15.) Budda Baker, S--I want to go with Charles Harris, but baker has the it factor to me. He is slightly undersized, but he plays like a younger and faster Weddle. Coverage skills, ball skills, great tackler, and can lay the wood when needed. High IQ too. 

I've got another great idea. How about we draft somebody with our #2 and #3 picks who can actually play.

4 minutes ago, whobilly said:

I've got another great idea. How about we draft somebody with our #2 and #3 picks who can actually play.

The KC pick  til this day still puzzles me because there was so many other more talented players than him left, but besides that, Bronson had an unforseeable injury.

In 15' we took the best TE in the draft and a run stuffing DT who had a top 50 grade on him. 

In 14' we took Jernigan who was a beast at FSU and Gilmore who was over drafted, but outside of that, most recent picks weren't initially as terrible as many people make them up to be. 

In 13' Art Brown looked like a legit talent and just never panned out and Williams has been arguably the best run stuffing NT in the league. 

Edited by RavensDieHard21

#16 is so average, just like our 8-8 season.  Perfect opportunity for Ozzie to move up or down.  With a draft this deep at CB (and some nice WRs available outside the top 3), I could see trading back a few spots.  

There's so much variance in the reviews of Dalvin Cook, Peppers, Corey Davis, Taco Charlton, Tabor and Wilson, and nearly every 'Bama defender that I'm not sure what to think.  In Ozzie I trust....?

This is the best DB and pass rushing class in the past 5+ years.. We need to get some stopgaps on O in free agency (ton of o line cuts coming that can get us through at C and RT for the year) and draft heavy on defense while we have the opportunity. Second rounders at those positions this year would be top 15-20 picks most other classes. We can't afford to miss on so many high picks this year.

1 hour ago, whobilly said:

The KC pick  til this day still puzzles me because there was so many other more talented players than him left, but besides that, Bronson had an unforseeable injury.

In 15' we took the best TE in the draft and a run stuffing DT who had a top 50 grade on him. 

In 14' we took Jernigan who was a beast at FSU and Gilmore who was over drafted, but outside of that, most recent picks weren't initially as terrible as many people make them up to be. 

In 13' Art Brown looked like a legit talent and just never panned out and Williams has been arguably the best run stuffing NT in the league. 

Dude c'mon don't be a homer... Our draft success in recent years has been poor at best and our ability to retain players has been even worse. Max Williams and Carl Davis has been bums, Correa and Kaufasi were not smart picks regardless of bronson's injury. The entire 2015 draft class will be off the team before long, heck only 3 players are on our roster combined from the 2009-2012 drafts and depending on how free agency pans out we may only have 1-2 left from the 2013 draft. This isn't a new issue, our draft success has gone down the toilet

3 hours ago, RavensDieHard21 said:
  3 hours ago, whobilly said:

Dude c'mon don't be a homer... Our draft success in recent years has been poor at best and our ability to retain players has been even worse. Max Williams and Carl Davis has been bums, Correa and Kaufasi were not smart picks regardless of bronson's injury. The entire 2015 draft class will be off the team before long, heck only 3 players are on our roster combined from the 2009-2012 drafts and depending on how free agency pans out we may only have 1-2 left from the 2013 draft. This isn't a new issue, our draft success has gone down the toilet

That's every team in the league.

And you only get 4 years from most of your draft picks - after that, their agents tell them to test the waters because there's always a few teams with a boatload of cap space (Cleveland has $100 million in cap space this year) willing to throw obscene money at free agents. Very few players re-sign with their original team - Josh Norman, Bruce Irvin, Lamar Miller, KO, Maclin, etc. You have to way overpay them like Von Miller, franchise them or they walk. So, very few teams have players left from the 2009-2012 drafts. And most will lose most of their players from the 2013 draft.

The average rate of success for all teams in the past 5 years is 1 starter per draft.