BR News

[News] Late For Work 2/17: Ravens Expected To Meet Kyle Juszczyk's Agent At Combine To Talk Contract

45 posts in this topic

Juszczyk has been terribly underutilized. Guy does everything and could have been put into the TE rotation as well. He will go somewhere else and be a playmaker and we will sit and wonder why we don't have playmakers.

Not making the playoffs 3 of the past 4 seasons has really taken a toll on the Ravens fandom. I remember when we would post 100 comments on articles about Torrey Smith's dog or Bernard Pollard's locker room dances... now we just trudge along like weary farmers... Winning, oh winning where art thou; please pay us a visit soon at One Winning Drive!

Juszczyk has been terribly underutilized. Guy does everything and could have been put into the TE rotation as well. He will go somewhere else and be a playmaker and we will sit and wonder why we don't have playmakers.

patriots will win it all again next season with juice and aiken

Peculiar how out of our 11 draft picks this past year, only 6 of them actually showed some production, with 4 getting injured and one going to the practice squad.

Sign Juice and Guy. Let Williams and Wagner walk if they're outside the ball park of fair pay for their play. Can't overpay the big ticket players. Can afford to overpay Juice if need be because FB contracts are not astronomical anyway unless of course his agent decided to make Juice a TE or a RB. Then even he needs to walk.

22 minutes ago, fusuymada said:

patriots will win it all again next season with juice and aiken

Don't spoil the mood for the next 12 months man!

Sign Juice and Guy. Let Williams and Wagner walk if they're outside the ball park of fair pay for their play. Can't overpay the big ticket players. Can afford to overpay Juice if need be because FB contracts are not astronomical anyway unless of course his agent decided to make Juice a TE or a RB. Then even he needs to walk.

Fullbacks still fall under the RB designation as far as franchise tag is considered.

Just now, Raven in ATL said:

Fullbacks still fall under the RB designation as far as franchise tag is considered.

Oh nobody is using the franchise tag on any of these free agents. None is worth the franchise tag and yes I know Juice would fall into the RB category for a franchise tag. But, I was talking about making him a very highly paid FB because there is plenty of preceding data available for FB salaries out there. At least I hope there is. You can't use the FT on Williams because he's too one dimensional and on Wagner because there is no RT designation (only Tackles). So, nobody worth the tag among these free agents at least.

We shouldn't be too upset that we don't make deals with people early. Even though Flacco cost us more by waiting one wonders if maybe he doesn't play so well in the Super Bowl stretch run if he already had a big deal sewn up. Also, think of all the bad deals we might've gotten into if we had la Canfora's philosophy

I like Juice but I would talk to Williams first and use that money to ensure I get the key free agent out their for the ravens. The Ravens are the one team in the NFL that like a FB but have TE's that can fill in. Boyle and Gilmore are very good blocking TE's. Juice still gets stood up in the hole trying to dig LB's out, I agree he has good hands being a TE in college but his blocking hasn't caught up.

Said it a couple times. Juszczyk is the biggest priority. He may not be the best UFA, that belongs to Brandon Williams, but the Ravens need to revive their run game ASAP and having the best FB in the game helps. He wont take an incredibly high cap room either so negotiations should be faster. If Ravens decide to focus on Williams first, they may miss on Juszczyk, that's why I believe they should do him first. Also, if Williams ends up wanting too much money and Ravens cant pay him, Michael Pierce can come in the rotation. He played incredibly well as an undrafted rookie. Plus, the Ravens have prepared in case Williams left. Pierce, WIllie Henry and Carl Davis could all be in the mix. Sure Williams is a better player, but there is a back up plan already in the team. If Juszczyk leaves there's a hole in a position the Ravens really need right now

It will be bad for us if the Steelers figure out how to keep Bell and Brown, which would mean they have a Pro Bowl QB, and All Pro RB and WR (a deadly offensive tri-fecta). The fact that they not only draft stellar play makers but also know how to hang on to that talent is why they have made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. The fact that we've regressed to where we can neither draft nor retain offensive play makers is a big reason why we've missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. That the Ravens can't keep starters healthy is also an unfortunate contributor to the recent decline into mediocrity. Here's to optimism- hoping we start drafting All Pros, keep our guys healthy, and figure out how to hang on to our young play makers beyond their rookie contract.Go Ravens!

Edited by robbie29

Not really...if those two are signed it will mean that Brown, Bell and Big Ben will account for more than a quarter of their salary cap

Peculiar how out of our 11 draft picks this past year, only 6 of them actually showed some production, with 4 getting injured and one going to the practice squad.

yeah, it looked like a pretty good draft until you realize we had 11 picks.

I guess he forgot about Alex Lewis too. He was a 4th round pick, but no mention, despite he started half the games. Alex Lewis filled in impossible shoes, with the loss of KO, and while not entirely silent (due to our run game), made it somewhat bearable. Now he could be moved to RT if we lose Ricky Wagner in FA, where Marshal can continue to help mold him into a better OL. Then we can either fill in Urshel/Jensen or draft another OL to plug into LG. Or Jensen plays LG, and Urshel takes over starting Center if they deem Jeremy too expensive.

This years draft class was one of our better hits, in recent years.

That's a pretty strong class. You'd be hard pressed to find many teams who have at least half of their draft class even playing in year 1, let alone being productive.

Considering that most of your 6th and 7th rounders never amount to anything, in a good year, if you can get 2-3 starters with maybe another role player out of a draft, you've had a solid draft.

Said it a couple times. Juszczyk is the biggest priority. He may not be the best UFA, that belongs to Brandon Williams, but the Ravens need to revive their run game ASAP and having the best FB in the game helps. He wont take an incredibly high cap room either so negotiations should be faster. If Ravens decide to focus on Williams first, they may miss on Juszczyk, that's why I believe they should do him first. Also, if Williams ends up wanting too much money and Ravens cant pay him, Michael Pierce can come in the rotation. He played incredibly well as an undrafted rookie. Plus, the Ravens have prepared in case Williams left. Pierce, WIllie Henry and Carl Davis could all be in the mix. Sure Williams is a better player, but there is a back up plan already in the team. If Juszczyk leaves there's a hole in a position the Ravens really need right now

Or they will just start running one back sets with more TEs on the field like most teams do.

There's a lot of teams that successfully run the ball without using a FB often, which is why they are so cheap.

With so many TE's on the team I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't re-sign and the Raven just move whoever they feel is the 3rd or 4th TE to the FB spot. They could also end up taking a big blocking FB late in the draft.

First of all, we'd be very stupid to offer Juice more than $1.5M a season. He doesn't have great speed and worst of all he can't block- he can't block a crawling baby. But I have a feeling we're going to try to keep him because he might be a fan favorite. Personally, I'd let him go- we let a good Vontae go because he got too expensive, so the same thing will probably happen for Juice- imagine if he leaves, then we'll have another hole on this team - we're like swiss cheese due to all these bad drafts by Ozzie and DaCosta- bottom line, let him walk- he's not a great blocking fullback- otherwise, our RB would have a lot more yardage- and we have 10 tightends on our team - 10 too many- too bad all of them aren't elite either.

I also think we need to break up the best friend trio of Flacco, Pitta, and Juice- they all hang out like best buddies, and frankly, I feel uncomfortable with them being so close- that's why our offense isn't that good. Flacco helped his personal stylist, Pittta bread, get a $3M bonus last year (one reason our cap is so low too) because he threw all these short passes/ dinks to Pitta all the time because they are bffs.. I don't know what Oz was thinking bringing Watson here - while a nice man, he's also an old man. At this point, we need to let Watson and Pitta walk because they are too expensive- and we should also let Juice walk because he's overated. bottom line, this team isn't very good- we can't even keep average players like Pitta, Watson and Juice because of poor cap manahgement and years of terrible drafts- we have no base/ foundation of young players, and we sign old players on the cheap (Ozzies' favorite strategy), and now look what we have to deal with. Oz and DaCosta aren't good GMs when they have to devote a lot of money to a QB- it's much harder to keeep a good team together when unelite Flacco takes up 22M or whatever it is...

You figure with all those draft picks we wouldn've found one stud- unfortunately, that wasn't the case- same thing with the past 6 draftts

First of all, Juice is one of the reasons the run game stinks- because he can't block. Even though he went to Harvard, he probably can't spell block. Vontae was a much better blocker, and he tried to teach Juice- Juice just gets overpowered by LB and can't block. Ozzie cheaped out on Vontae and let him walk. Our run game has been pitiful Vontae left

13 hours ago, TheRavengers said:

yeah, it looked like a pretty good draft until you realize we had 11 picks.

I agree 100%- you took the words out of my mouth

I also think we need to break up the best friend trio of Flacco, Pitta, and Juice- they all hang out like best buddies, and frankly, I feel uncomfortable with them being so close- that's why our offense isn't that good. Flacco helped his personal stylist, Pittta bread, get a $3M bonus last year (one reason our cap is so low too) because he threw all these short passes/ dinks to Pitta all the time because they are bffs.. I don't know what Oz was thinking bringing Watson here - while a nice man, he's also an old man. At this point, we need to let Watson and Pitta walk because they are too expensive- and we should also let Juice walk because he's overated. bottom line, this team isn't very good- we can't even keep average players like Pitta, Watson and Juice because of poor cap manahgement and years of terrible drafts- we have no base/ foundation of young players, and we sign old players on the cheap (Ozzies' favorite strategy), and now look what we have to deal with. Oz and DaCosta aren't good GMs when they have to devote a lot of money to a QB- it's much harder to keeep a good team together when unelite Flacco takes up 22M or whatever it is...

Don't know where to vote this one up but would 100 times if I could. Excellent points. All of them. If Flacco was even a top 16 qb in this league ( with his 2nd highest average qb salary), things would be different. But he's not. He had one good regular season with a coach we didn't keep, and a great postseason..................FIVE years ago. The front office has gone from a strength to a weakness over the years. And that is the only chance of having a competitive NFL team every year. If your FO has it together. Ours clearly doesn't. And the coaching for the Ravens is exponentially worse. Maybe nobody will notice if the Harbuagh brothers switch places.......

Later Juice. Go cash in elsewhere. Perfect time for you to go get money elsewhere. He's overrated. Plus all of you that say he could be better utilized, probably true. One huge problem with that, we still have the same coaches, UNFORTUNATELY

Your are uncomfortable with Flacco being friends with guys on the offensive side of the ball ? I hope you are joking here. He isn't throwing dinks and dunks to Pitta because they are BFFs. He is throwing them because the WRs down the field are covered or at least he has the perception that they are covered. Do you want him to force it into coverage. If Crockett Gilmore or Maxx or whoever were out there instead of Pitta he would be throwing to them. Because of their close relationship they are more in sync with each other. You need to invert your statement. Instead of wanting Joe and Pitta to end their friendship, you should be hoping that he develops similar relationships with his other receivers on the team. Being angry because Pitta gained 720 yards last year is absurd. Cmon man.

im of the belief that juice is a very key player for us. look at how many drive-starting catches hes made, how many crucial 3rd downs he has converted, he is as smart a player as youll ever find, he makes himself available, he blocks well picking up blitzes in the pocket, he blocks well as a lead blocker, he blocks well as an inline TE, he chips well, times his dump-route well, and is an extremely high character and effort player. 

i would be really upset to see him walk, more than wagner or williams honestly, and i also hope he gets used more frequently. he would be a household name with another 2-3 targets/designed dumpoffs per game. 

he also is a player that should almost never leave the field, aside from 12 formations. he should be on the field on all passing downs that arent coming out of the 12 and 5wr sets, but frankly i think a 4wr set with juice in the backfield would serve better just because hes such a smart and reliable player, whether you need him as a safety valve or as a blocker. 

ill bet you this, if juice was in the backfield for the falcons in the super bowl, that rusher isnt going unblocked up the middle because juice picks those up and executes. 

serioiusly, pay da man, use da man.

5 hours ago, OzzieBisciotti said:

First of all, we'd be very stupid to offer Juice more than $1.5M a season. He doesn't have great speed and worst of all he can't block- he can't block a crawling baby. But I have a feeling we're going to try to keep him because he might be a fan favorite. Personally, I'd let him go- we let a good Vontae go because he got too expensive, so the same thing will probably happen for Juice- imagine if he leaves, then we'll have another hole on this team - we're like swiss cheese due to all these bad drafts by Ozzie and DaCosta- bottom line, let him walk- he's not a great blocking fullback- otherwise, our RB would have a lot more yardage- and we have 10 tightends on our team - 10 too many- too bad all of them aren't elite either.

a blocking fb is essentially extinct in 2017, it doesnt work anymore, all it does is clutter up running lanes. the most functional type of running game is all about creating space, adding another player into the box is totally counterproductive. its one of the reasons barry sanders was so frustrated late in his career, the new coach insisted on using a lead blocking fullback which gave barry less room to run and it tipped the hat too easily and allowed defenses to stack boxes. 

vonta leach was a very small part of our rushing successes, we had yanda, birk, ben grubbs/KO, and michael oher when he was run blocking well, our line was ELITE in 4 out of 5 spots, and ray rice was a top 3 rb for years before leach came, and there was no noticeable increase when leach arrived. power blocking FBs are nice for when you really need a short gain, they can help create a little pocket past the line of scrimmage by plowing into it, but other than that there is just very little use for them. an H-back who can pass protect and act as a safety valve is just way more valuable, and even better juice actually can lead block pretty well when needed, you dont need to be vonta leach to be a great FB.

7 hours ago, OzzieBisciotti said:

a blocking fb is essentially extinct in 2017, it doesnt work anymore, all it does is clutter up running lanes. the most functional type of running game is all about creating space, adding another player into the box is totally counterproductive. its one of the reasons barry sanders was so frustrated late in his career, the new coach insisted on using a lead blocking fullback which gave barry less room to run and it tipped the hat too easily and allowed defenses to stack boxes. 

vonta leach was a very small part of our rushing successes, we had yanda, birk, ben grubbs/KO, and michael oher when he was run blocking well, our line was ELITE in 4 out of 5 spots, and ray rice was a top 3 rb for years before leach came, and there was no noticeable increase when leach arrived. power blocking FBs are nice for when you really need a short gain, they can help create a little pocket past the line of scrimmage by plowing into it, but other than that there is just very little use for them. an H-back who can pass protect and act as a safety valve is just way more valuable, and even better juice actually can lead block pretty well when needed, you dont need to be vonta leach to be a great FB.

Thanks for the history lesson.