• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
EdTheMythicalOne

A Tale of Second Round Picks...feast or famine?

106 posts in this topic

I've been seeing a lot of posts in articles written and just on the comments and boards here in general about how the Ravens seem to be whiffing on a lot of upper tier picks recently, especially the second round. This got me to thinking...have the Ravens ever drafted well with their second round picks? I plan to post all of the second round picks since the team's inception and let you, the fans decide:

1996: 2nd round: CB: DeRon Jenkins...AKA: "toast." He played four seasons with the Ravens, never a starter, and in his last season with this team was relegated to Special Teams. Hung in for two more unimpressive seasons with SD and TEN.

1997: 2nd Round: LB: Jamie Sharper: Was a 5 year starter with Baltimore and really started to click in his final season with the team. He wasn't a supremely disruptive force in his time with Baltimore but they got a 5 year starter out of the pick and that's exactly what you want out of a high pick.

1997: 2nd Round: S: Kim Herring: Was a full time starter in 2 of his 4 years with the team and put up his best season in his walk year. Cashed in on a big contract with the Rams where he continued to be a good starter before the injury bug bit him hard. I don't think he provided as much value as Sharper did.

1998: 2nd Round: WR: Patrick Johnson: Supremely fast (he once beat Olympic dynamo Carl Lewis in a race) but could never get open or catch a ball. If your first thought when reading the name listed was "WHO?" then you kind of answer the question of feast or famine.

1999: No 2nd round pick.

2000: No 2nd round pick.

2001: 2nd Round: CB: Gary Baxter: Baxter was a 3 year full time starter in his four seasons with Baltimore. At 6'2'' 204lbs he was a force to be reckoned with and paired up extremely well opposite Chris McAlister. He played very well for us and cashed in big with Cleveland but injuries caught up with him as well and derailed his career. I presonally think this was a good pick.

2002: 2nd Round: DL: Anthony Weaver: Was a 4 year full time starter in each of his seasons with the team. He was a disruptive force as he caused fumbles, swatted away passes, and did get to the QB a bit. He went on to be another 3 year full time starter for Houston before a shoulder injury ended his career.

2003: No 2nd Round Pick

2004: 2nd Round: DT: Dwan Edwards: Edwards was a rotational player for the first three seasons and then became a regular starter for the final two seasons here with Baltimore, played two seasons with Buffalo as a starter and then four more seasons with Carolina as a starter and then rotational guy that saw plenty of snaps until his final season with them in 2015. He was better in his time after a Raven, especially with Carolina when he became a pass rushing threat. While we didn't get all the value out of him that he had, his success elsewhere and 11 year career I think proves that he was a good pick.

2005: 2nd Round Pick: Dan Cody: Cody was a hyped pick but unfortunately barely ever played due to blowing out his knee in camp almost as soon as we got him in camp. This pick was a bust simply because we never got to see him play.

2005: 2nd Round Pick: OT: Adam Terry: Terry had the looks, a big guy at 6'8'' 330lbs he had the makings of a monster mauler type. Unfortunately he didn't have the heart or durability to ever fulfill that promise. He spent four unimpressive seasons as a back up/situational starter for us before missing all of a season and then playing 2 games for SD.

2006: 2nd Round Pick: OG: Chris Chester: At 6'3'' 300lbs. and being a former TE, he had the athleticism the Ravens were looking for, but wasn't as physical as he needed to be in our system at the time. He was a full time starter for the team in the three of his last five seasons with the team and then went on to be a full time starter for the rest of his career which was 4 more years with Washington and 2 more with Atlanta. He was a good player overall, just didn't fit our scheme at the time.

2007: No Second Round Pick

2008: 2nd Round Pick: RB: Ray Rice: Don't think I need to say too much here. Without Rice we probably don't win the second SB. Unfortunately an off the field domestic abuse issue forced his premature departure with this team and as a result cost him the rest of his career.

2009: 2nd Round Pick: DE/OLB: Paul Kruger: Part of Kruger's issue is that the Ravens couldn't decide if he was an End or an OLB in our system and Kruger didn't thrive in any as a starter. He found success in his last two seasons, especially in his final season as a situational pass rusher and then starter down the stretch and in the playoffs for the Ravens. Cashed in BIG with the Browns where in three seasons he turned in only one good one and was ultimately cut before signing on with the Saints to have yet another poor season.

2010: 2nd Round Pick: OLB: Sergio Kindle: Ouch. We never got to see what kind of pass rushing monster Kindle could be because almost right after we drafted him he "slept walked" after drinking a lot at a party and fell down a flight of stairs which fractured his skull and left him with some permanent hearing loss. But that's okay because we had ANOTHER 2nd round pick in 2010, right?

2010: 2nd Round Pick: DT/NT: Terrence Cody: AKA: "Mt. Cody" was a massive body that the Ravens envisioned eating up blockers in the middle of the defense and allowing everyone else to roam free. Unfortunately Cody ate lots of other things. At nearly 400lbs perhaps his combine numbers should have said something to the Ravens as he did only 19 reps of 225lbs. Add in injury issues and you got a big disappointment figuratively and literally speaking. Ouchx2.

2011: 2nd Round Pick: WR: Torrey Smith: Paired up with big arm QB Joe Flacco Torrey used his great speed to very good results in this offense and becoming the ONLY drafted WR by the Ravens to go over 1,000 yards in a season. Able to make big time plays and score the football he was a full time starter in each of his four seasons in Baltimore. Due a big pay raise, he cashed in big in FA with the 49ers and has had two lackluster seasons with them.

2012: 2nd Round Pick: OG: Kelechi Osemele: He may be one of the best Guards in the game right now as a sheer massive mauler and was a full time starter in each of his four seasons with the Ravens and was credited for the turn around in Oakland in his first full season with them. If nagging injuries don't become more bothersome moving forward he may be an all time great as he's missed at least some playing time in each year following his first with the Ravens.

2013: 2nd Round Pick: MLB: Arthur Brown: Brown never made it passed Special Teams contributor in his three seasons with the Ravens before they finally gave up on him and he then spent 2016 between the Jets and Jags as a special teamer as well.

2014: 2nd Round Pick: DT: Timmy Jernigan: Jernigan is a bit of an enigma right now as he at times shows flashes of becoming a disruptive force from the interior line, but getting derailed by stupid penalties or just lack of production. He's become a full time starter in his third season with the Ravens and it will be interesting to see if it finally clicks for him in his next season. If it does plan on Jernigan walking for a huge pay day as big time pass rushing threats from his position are rare commodities.

2015: 2nd Round Pick: TE: Maxx Williams: Williams like Jernigan is a question mark right now, when on the field he's shown flashes of being the Todd Heap-like playmaker the Ravens thought they were getting. But nagging injuries in his first season kept him off the field and a major injury kept him completely off the field in 2016. He will need to stay healthy and regain his form next season. It will be a big make or break year for him IMO.

2016: 2nd Round Pick: LB: Kamalei Correa: An under the radar pick, the Ravens had fans questioning the pick from the onset even though pundits around praised how well Correa shows up on film. Perhaps they should have questioned the competition level he faced. Admittedly he does look good to my eyes on his college game tape, but now he's going up against the best of the best. He was hyped so much but other than getting into scrums with veterans (including one that broke one of Dennis Pitta's fingers/thumb) he made literally no noise. Thinking his game doesn't quite match up for a outside rushing threat and an injury forcing Zach Orr to retire there is talk of KC moving to ILB. He got limited playing time in his rookie season partially due to unimpressive play and a major injury. It will be interesting to see just what he turns into going forward.

The most interesting thing about this, and something I've never thought about previously, is that Rice is the only 2nd round pick we've resigned.  Sadly, that worked against the team since he only played one year under the new contract and it was a very bad year for him on the field

22 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

The most interesting thing about this, and something I've never thought about previously, is that Rice is the only 2nd round pick we've resigned.  Sadly, that worked against the team since he only played one year under the new contract and it was a very bad year for him on the field

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Not a lot of second contracts. There are guys they would've like to re-sign, though.

24 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

In most of the cases the Ravens were right not to extend those players. Very few of the ones they let get away actually went on to be any good after.

Wrote a similar piece many months ago about this. Couple things to note:

1. Sharper was obviously the best of this group. He's in the Ravens ROH. Note that the main he reason he left was that he was selected by the Houston Texans in the expansion draft. He went on to lead the league in tackles for a season over there.

2. Kim Herring was an underrated pick.

3. Dwan Edwards is a big "name" on this list, but he wasn't nearly as productive in Baltimore as elsewhere (namely Carolina, where his career flourished).

4. Ironically, some of the more "productive" 2nd rounders have been in the last 10 years or so. Rice, Torrey and KO all had quality tenures in Baltimore given their draft position.

The track record doesn't seem as bad as some have suggested. You've listed 20 picks. By my count, at least 7 were great picks (35%), at least 4 others were good picks (20%) and the jury's still out on 2 picks (10%). IDK what the percentages should be but it seems to me that hitting on 50% or more is pretty good. It is also apparent from your list that our success with 2nd rounders has improved in the second half of our team history. That's a good thing! Obviously, it is important to differentiate between a good pick and how well the player performed once drafted. For example, Sergio Kindle might have been a dynamite pick but an unfortunate accident hurt his chances to have a successful career in the NFL. 

I think the more recent years have brought on the idea that we've been terrible in the second round.

2009 looked bad from the start, but Kruger came on in a contract year of course (to be fair, the Ravens caused that)

2010 was a bust year

2011 gave us really good value for 4 years

2012 was about as good as you can hope to do

2013 didn't work out

2014 has given us a sometimes very good, sometimes non-existant piece

2015 is still up in the air, but Maxx showed some good things

2016 is still only 1 year in

Being that we probably can't judge 2015 and 2016 yet, it's not that terrible in recent years.  We ended up with 2 really good players, 1 solid player, 1 that turned out to be good after the Ravens failed a few experiments, and 3 that didn't work out (1 of which you couldn't see coming - Kindle).  I'll take that draft success.

I think the larger issues are (1) that we've failed/declined to sign a lot of guys to these 2nd contracts and (2) that we haven't really nailed any superstars out of those picks.  We're hitting at a good rate when it comes to overall contributions but it's been since 2009 that we found a true game changer.

54 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Wrote a similar piece many months ago about this. Couple things to note:

1. Sharper was obviously the best of this group. He's in the Ravens ROH. Note that the main he reason he left was that he was selected by the Houston Texans in the expansion draft. He went on to lead the league in tackles for a season over there.

2. Kim Herring was an underrated pick.

3. Dwan Edwards is a big "name" on this list, but he wasn't nearly as productive in Baltimore as elsewhere (namely Carolina, where his career flourished).

4. Ironically, some of the more "productive" 2nd rounders have been in the last 10 years or so. Rice, Torrey and KO all had quality tenures in Baltimore given their draft position.

Side bar... Madden back in the day with Herring and Corey Harris on the back end was deadly.

27 minutes ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

The track record doesn't seem as bad as some have suggested. You've listed 20 picks. By my count, at least 7 were great picks (35%), at least 4 others were good picks (20%) and the jury's still out on 2 picks (10%). IDK what the percentages should be but it seems to me that hitting on 50% or more is pretty good. It is also apparent from your list that our success with 2nd rounders has improved in the second half of our team history. That's a good thing! Obviously, it is important to differentiate between a good pick and how well the player performed once drafted. For example, Sergio Kindle might have been a dynamite pick but an unfortunate accident hurt his chances to have a successful career in the NFL. 

I think the tough sell is considering picks as "great" when you're not even able to retain them long term. Realize that the overwhelming majority of these picks played less than 5 years in Baltimore.

Getting a 2nd round pick that plays well for you for 2-3 years is great, but ideally you'd like to retain some of those players for the long run. If they're not being retained because we'd prefer to keep other players that are more important, are they really that great?

Look at the comparison to our 1st round picks. By and large, if we drafted a guy in the 1st round and he played well for us (not even great necessarily, but just good), he got a 2nd contract from us. That's pretty rare of our 2nd rounders.

Could be an organizational philosophy, or could be that many of those guys just played well when they played for us but didn't fit the mold of a "key" player that we'd like to keep for a long time.

I would also note that it in most of these cases, its NOT a indication of us not being able to afford to keep those players. In most cases, its simply because we didn't WANT to retain them.

1 hour ago, rmcjacket23 said:

I think the tough sell is considering picks as "great" when you're not even able to retain them long term. Realize that the overwhelming majority of these picks played less than 5 years in Baltimore.

Getting a 2nd round pick that plays well for you for 2-3 years is great, but ideally you'd like to retain some of those players for the long run. If they're not being retained because we'd prefer to keep other players that are more important, are they really that great?

Look at the comparison to our 1st round picks. By and large, if we drafted a guy in the 1st round and he played well for us (not even great necessarily, but just good), he got a 2nd contract from us. That's pretty rare of our 2nd rounders.

Could be an organizational philosophy, or could be that many of those guys just played well when they played for us but didn't fit the mold of a "key" player that we'd like to keep for a long time.

I would also note that it in most of these cases, its NOT a indication of us not being able to afford to keep those players. In most cases, its simply because we didn't WANT to retain them.

This is where the issue lies, in my opinion.  We got some quality players out of it which is great, but we haven't retained them.  I'd say KO was the only one where it was truly a money issues as to why he didn't stay.  Some other guys we might have made offers, but clearly not large enough offers that we truly wanted to retain them.

That begs the question - is a pick successful if we get a solid player for 3-4 years?  Or is it successful if we find a player that we actually want to be around for a 2nd contract?

46 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

That begs the question - is a pick successful if we get a solid player for 3-4 years?  Or is it successful if we find a player that we actually want to be around for a 2nd contract?

And on the other side of that, is a pick a bust if unexpected injury derails or ruins their career?

I've seen many posts about "Ozzie drafted a bust" all throughout 2015 because Perriman got hurt and in the past because of injuries that couldn't be predicted (see Kindle).  Arthur Brown is an example of a bad draft pick.  Kindle is more of an unfortunate one imo

33 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

This is where the issue lies, in my opinion.  We got some quality players out of it which is great, but we haven't retained them.  I'd say KO was the only one where it was truly a money issues as to why he didn't stay.  Some other guys we might have made offers, but clearly not large enough offers that we truly wanted to retain them.

I think it's two different conversations and two completely different debates. IMHO, I believe that a rookie is successful if he outplays his contract and unsuccessful if the contract exceeds his theoretical market value. I usually don't judge any rookie his first year because there's s learning curve and unrealistic to reach any conclusion in one year. But over the duration of his rookie deal, you can usually look at his production and then look at how much he was paid and compare it to free agents you could have signed for that price.

il use Torrey smith as an example. He was drafted in the second and made about 750k a year while racking up 3500 yards and 30 TDs. I think that second round we invested in him payed off dividends because there was no FA we could have picked up that would get those numbers for that price. So basically we got ourselves a bargain for 4 years by investing a second and his market value turned out to be around 6-8 mil when he left. Good deal ;) now weather or not he is retained is another conversation because now you have to look at wether or not it's worth it to spend that money on him or someone else in FA and get a comp pick in return. 

The legend of Ozzie starts with the 1st, skips the second and then latches on in later rounds on occasion. We are overrated as a great drafting team clearly.

12 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

And on the other side of that, is a pick a bust if unexpected injury derails or ruins their career?

I've seen many posts about "Ozzie drafted a bust" all throughout 2015 because Perriman got hurt and in the past because of injuries that couldn't be predicted (see Kindle).  Arthur Brown is an example of a bad draft pick.  Kindle is more of an unfortunate one imo

I agree 100 percent. Kindle is just plain old unfortunate. I mean seriously, it's laughable to blame the stairs or Kindle for not wearing a helmet whenever he drinks. Brown was a bust of a pick even though I reallily felt good about it when he was drafted. Perriman is exactly where he needs to be to justify investing a late first round pick on him. He got hurt and misdiagnosed his rookie year and missed training camp his second year and still came up with 500 yards and a few TDs as Flaccos 4th option. He's not a good pick or a bad one "yet". Now he needs to build on that and get closer to 1000 yards to be labeled a good pick. if he can't beat out the starters within the next 2 years and get to that 1K mark then yes it would be a bad pick. 

I dont think you can put Maxx William in the same field as Timmy Jernigan.  

Timmy has been at the very least has starter material capability.  Every once in a while he is unstoppable.   Timmy has worked through pain and know how to keep himself on field.

Maxx has been a solid disappointment.  He never built a time to build his frame and had the work ethic to get better @offseason.   One small nick of ding on his thigh and he is gone for the whole season.   He is going to the wrong end of the his career.  

7 hours ago, Purple_City39 said:

Thinking same thing and was gonna post about it and then I go down to the next post lol anyways this is an eyeopener.

2 hours ago, ellicottraven said:

The legend of Ozzie starts with the 1st, skips the second and then latches on in later rounds on occasion. We are overrated as a great drafting team clearly.

More like hitting in the draft is incredible difficult. Even BB has a ton of busts nearly ever draft (Ras-I Dowling or Aaron Dobson any one?)

Edited by ravensnick

2 hours ago, Ravenseconbeast said:

Timmy has been at the very least has starter material capability.  Every once in a while he is unstoppable.   Timmy has worked through pain and know how to keep himself on field.

Maxx has been a solid disappointment.  He never built a time to build his frame and had the work ethic to get better @offseason.   One small nick of ding on his thigh and he is gone for the whole season.   He is going to the wrong end of the his career.  

Yeah, screw Maxx Williams because he had a knee injury, am i right?

9 hours ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

In most of the cases the Ravens were right not to extend those players. Very few of the ones they let get away actually went on to be any good after.

I dont think you can accurately judge that thought.  Players fit in different systems....differently.  So no telling what would of happened if say Kruger stayed here and was given a more significant role, just an example.  I think it says a lot about the players we let walk that dont turn into what people thought they would, clearly worked very well in our system. 

Maxx Williams is heading towards his 3rd season and if he doesn't show much than the bust talk escalates with him. Not getting much from him, Brown, and Correa hurt dearly. You need your 2nd round picks to preform, especially considering that there are 1st round talent to be had there.

4 hours ago, Ravenseconbeast said:

I have to agree that Maxx Williams has been a disappointment after a promising rookie season,  mostly due to injury. Timmy Jernigan on the other hand is much more of a disappointment to me. Jernigan flashes tremendous ability at times then disappears for long stretches and his stupid personal foul penalties are unforgivable.  

Edited by Somerset Ravens

7 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

Maxx Williams is heading towards his 3rd season and if he doesn't show much than the bust talk escalates with him. Not getting much from him, Brown, and Correa hurt dearly. You need your 2nd round picks to preform, especially considering that there are 1st round talent to be had there.

I usually always give the FO the benefit of the doubt, but the KC pick i just dont get.  Zero production...unless you count penalties i guess.  I would at least think he would of been a good contributor on ST

11 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

I usually always give the FO the benefit of the doubt, but the KC pick i just dont get.  Zero production...unless you count penalties i guess.  I would at least think he would of been a good contributor on ST

It was a highly questionable pick and it threw me off as well. I don't know if it was zero production but it was damn near close to that. We need to hit on these 2nd round picks. 

2 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

It was a highly questionable pick and it threw me off as well. I don't know if it was zero production but it was damn near close to that. We need to hit on these 2nd round picks. 

I was one who liked Spence, Jack, Cravens.  It just sucks seeing Spence have some impact already, still not sure what KC is going to turn into....

3 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

I was one who liked Spence, Jack, Cravens.  It just sucks seeing Spence have some impact already, still not sure what KC is going to turn into....

I liked them as well but seeing Orr's emergence sort of justified passing on Jack/Cravens. Spence has 5.5 sacks and while that's a solid number, I don't think many were too impressed this season, he struggled bad early and improved but still had some trouble generating pressure. I don't know if he's a sure thing but he's definitely talented. 

The guy I really wish we took was Sterling Shepard, who says we didn't need another WR? I mean it would have been a mighty fine pick and given us a lot of assurance next season, not to mention that it would make the decision on Wallace a lot easier. That did create the opportunity to get more guys, but It would have been nice to have him here. Outside of that, 2nd round was a mixed bag and I honestly think it was a pretty disappointing 2nd round, not a whole lot of impact guys IMO. 

Just now, PurpleCity5 said:

I liked them as well but seeing Orr's emergence sort of justified passing on Jack/Cravens. Spence has 5.5 sacks and while that's a solid number, I don't think many were too impressed this season, he struggled bad early and improved but still had some trouble generating pressure. I don't know if he's a sure thing but he's definitely talented. 

The guy I really wish we took was Sterling Shepard, who says we didn't need another WR? I mean it would have been a mighty fine pick and given us a lot of assurance next season, not to mention that it would make the decision on Wallace a lot easier. That did create the opportunity to get more guys, but It would have been nice to have him here. Outside of that, 2nd round was a mixed bag and I honestly think it was a pretty disappointing 2nd round, not a whole lot of impact guys IMO. 

Yea i didnt really pay attention to Spence's progress, what do you think he turns into?

Yea, Shepard hurt.....now that Orr retired, its just another whole to fill, hopefully we nail this draft because another year of zero production from 2nd and 3rd picks will extremely hurt us.  We can realistically make a case for almost every position

6 hours ago, rmw10 said:

In the modern, salary capped, free agent NFL I don't think you can necessarily knock a team for not resigning a draft pick.

Imo whether a pick was good or bad should only be judged by how the player performed during their time here. I don't think you should dock points if you don't give the guy a 2nd contract. 

For me, if you get quality contributions for 3-4 years on a cheap rookie deal that's really good. If you get a cheap starter playing at a pro bowl level for 3-4 years that's great (varying degrees depending on level of contribution)....

Whether or not they get the 2nd contract and how they perform on said contract has nothing to do with the quality of the draft pick.... that's a separate evaluation of the GM. 

All that does is tell me whether or not the Ravens got the maximum return on their great pick or not. You're picking assets... and unfortunately with a cap you can't always return those assets.

Like Ray Rice was a GREAT draft pick. In hindsight it was a bad contract. What ended up happening doesn't effect the quality of the pick for me though. We got 3 solid years of among the best all purpose RBs in the league for a 2nd rounder. Awesome, awesome pick. 

With that in mind KO was a great pick imo. Kruger was a very good pick. His contributions in 2012 were irreplaceable. Upshaw was a good pick. Torrey was a great pick, etc...

28 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Yea i didnt really pay attention to Spence's progress, what do you think he turns into?

Yea, Shepard hurt.....now that Orr retired, its just another whole to fill, hopefully we nail this draft because another year of zero production from 2nd and 3rd picks will extremely hurt us.  We can realistically make a case for almost every position

Don't write Kaufusi off yet. 

Hes got elite short area quickness and can generate pressure. I'm really really excited to get him back in the fold this offseason. 

Plus with Correa he's probably been given more of an expectation and with that he can work on changing his body to fit. If it's playing more at OLB he can maybe bulk up a bit to help fight off blocks and handle TEs and tackles. Or if it's ILB he can shed some weight and add more quickness and range to his game. 

And he's got all offseason to study to get the mental aspects down more. Less excited/optimistic for him, but to start last offseason he was standing out when things were very vanilla and it was all about just playing and instincts. He struggled when he got moved around and things got more complex mentally. 

So there's hope that with a defined role he can get himself right mentally and physically... come back and start flying around again playing with that nastiness and physicality we were hearing about. 

But Kaufusi is like an extra draft pick. Like Brent Urban but with a lot more talent.... especially as a pass rusher. I hope they use him in like a McPhee role where they move him all around - inside and out - to find match ups he can win and let him just hunt. He's got length, strength and elite short area quickness. 

6 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Don't write Kaufusi off yet. 

Hes got elite short area quickness and can generate pressure. I'm really really excited to get him back in the fold this offseason. 

Plus with Correa he's probably been given more of an expectation and with that he can work on changing his body to fit. If it's playing more at OLB he can maybe bulk up a bit to help fight off blocks and handle TEs and tackles. Or if it's ILB he can shed some weight and add more quickness and range to his game. 

And he's got all offseason to study to get the mental aspects down more. Less excited/optimistic for him, but to start last offseason he was standing out when things were very vanilla and it was all about just playing and instincts. He struggled when he got moved around and things got more complex mentally. 

So there's hope that with a defined role he can get himself right mentally and physically... come back and start flying around again playing with that nastiness and physicality we were hearing about.

But Kaufusi is like an extra draft pick. Like Brent Urban but with a lot more talent.... especially as a pass rusher. I hope they use him in like a McPhee role where they move him all around - inside and out - to find match ups he can win and let him just hunt. He's got length, strength and elite short area quickness. 

Dont get me wrong, not writing off Kaufusi at all.  Just like i didnt with BP in his first year, only reason we didnt see either in their rookie year was because of an injury, not because of lack of talent.  However, with KC i view it the opposite, pretty sure he was a healthy scratch for most of the year and when he did play, he got a penalty on ST, thats all i remember about him.  Others have brought up him getting jacked up by a OL guy but i havent seen it yet. 

Did you ever read that article about Kaufusi's freakish athletic ability that some Seattle Seahawk writer wrote before we picked him?  Somone posted it on here way back then, ill see if i can find it.  That being said, i am definitely more excited about Kaufusi instead of KC....its not even close to me. 

1 hour ago, usmccharles said:

6 tackles , 1 pass deflection and a forced fumble is not zero production.