rmw10

2017 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

3,648 posts in this topic

With the process finished for this year, I'd like to say that I was able to reach the accomplishments I set out to achieve. It obviously wasn't difficult considering that I selected one of the most talented teams in the league. That being said, the tweaks and additions should make this roster a playoff contender in this upcoming season and with SuperBowl aspirations. The roster does have a ton of turnover with all of the skill-player starter being new additions, but I assume that Derek Carr wouldn't complain with Keenan Allen and Brandin Cooks at WR, Carlos Hyde in the backfield with DeAndre Washington and Kyle Juszczyk at FB. Adam Thielen excelled as a starter last year and would help fill in if Allen succumbs to another injury, with Chad Hansen splitting the No.3 duties with Evan Engram in that instance, who's arguably the best receiving slot TE in the draft. I could run a multitude of personnel groupings, such as the 12 personnel with both Engram and David Njoku on the field. The OL may be among the best groups in the league with the additions of Larry Warford and Ricky Wagner. There's enough depth in the likes of Nick Mangold and Co. to account for any injuries. Conor McDermott could potentially be groomed to be Donald Penn's future replacement, which will give him time to hit the weight room. It would be interesting to see what Hyde would do behind this front considering that he put forth a solid season behind one of the league's worst units last season. Overall, I feel that it's a balanced group, with enough in the running and passing games to keep teams honest.

Defensively, the front would once again be a formidable one. The passing downs would consist of pairing the reigning DPoY Khalil Mack at LE with Sheldon Richardson at 1T, Frank Clark and David Irving at 3T and Aldon Smith at RE. If Andrew Billings plays to his potential, he could give Dan Williams a shot for his money at NT on running downs. If Williams regulates his weight issues, he'd likely return to form. Mario Edwards Jr. will be moved back to DE, where he excelled before struggling last season at DT. Bruce Irvin could be moved around as the Spinner Sam and brought off the edge for additional pressure. He can handle himself in every facet thus far. Jerrell Freeman was an elite LB last season, one of the best in coverage, and Ramik Wilson had an impressive campaign himself, as one of the better coverage linebackers in 2016. The depth there has questions, and it's my main concern with the roster. At CB, I'd have a four-man competition between Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, David Amerson, Quincy Wilson and Terence Newman. Rodgers-Cromartie and Newman are coming off of lights-out seasons, although it's hard to envision Newman continuing the trend at the same pace given his age. Amerson played like one of the best CBs in the NFL before the knee injury. Wilson, who may very well have been overdrafted based on him potentially going in the 2nd in real life, could offer some long-term value on the outside. K'Waun Williams is a dark horse to enter the discussion. He took the last season off to rehabilitate after a tumultuous exit from Cleveland surrounding his ankle injury, meaning he should be healthy, and he was one of the better slot CBs in the league in his first two seasons. Both Adrian Amos and Karl Joseph were rock solid last season and I'd expect them to continue the trend. The ST unit remains similar to last year albeit the competition at kicker, which is a plus.

Overall, I feel like this could be one of the best offenses and best defenses in the league. The biggest question would be how fast the offense would gel given the new pieces, though it shouldn't be a difficult situation to manage given the talent level of the newcomers. Fortunately most of the rookies wouldn't be thrown into the fire right away. The only position to start rookies is TE, which has been historically difficult to translate. But having two of the top five prospects at TE should help. There aren't many holes on either side. Obviously it can't be judged fully until it stands the test of time during the same time next year. But I do like the unit on paper. Hopefully it'd make some noise in the AFC.

It wouldn't be a forum mock if I wasn't struck with bad luck.  Gareon Conley accused of rape.  Witnesses saying that the story is false, but hey, that's still my guy 2 days before the draft lol

3 hours ago, rmw10 said:

It wouldn't be a forum mock if I wasn't struck with bad luck.  Gareon Conley accused of rape.  Witnesses saying that the story is false, but hey, that's still my guy 2 days before the draft lol

A top level college player that is entering the draft and is about to make millions, being accused of rape? Never heard that one before.

31 minutes ago, Ozzsome said:

A top level college player that is entering the draft and is about to make millions, being accused of rape? Never heard that one before.

Yeah, preliminary reports look good for the long term for Conley, but the short term could cost him millions of dollars.

6 hours ago, rmw10 said:

The worst part is that he's only slated to meet with the police on Monday, meaning that his case may not have a resolution or at least a clear indication until after the draft. He could go anywhere at this point. What an insane turn of events.

30 minutes ago, ArsenalRaven666 said:

Alleged rape, dialuted samples at the combine all ways to drop your draft value.  What next smoking a bong !?

USATSI_7015674-650x342.jpg

Boom.  Still got better value on Conley than in real life.  Maybe it wasn't bad luck after all.  Just life taunting me a bit.

My picks at 12, 15 and 33 turned out well.

Solomon Thomas I took at 12th went at no3.

Taco Charlton at 15th went no28.

But Christian McCaffrey taken by me at 33 went at no 8.

If had gone Williams or Davis would have been AA* round

Going well for me so far.

I picked Gareon Conley at 29 and he went 24, even with the allegations.  I picked Tyus Bowser in the early 3rd and he went mid 2nd.  I picked Taywan Taylor in the mid 4th and he went early 3rd.  I picked Kenny Golladay as a UDFA and he just went late 3rd.

1 hour ago, rmw10 said:

And there's another UDFA that went in the 3rd.  Brendan Langley.

There are a couple of weird db picks so far in this draft - Langley is definitely one of them

3 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

There are a couple of weird db picks so far in this draft - Langley is definitely one of them

Langley is a pure potential pick. Not much CB tape out there but he's such a smooth athlete if they can teach him some of the intricacies of the position. 

And here's how I ended up in comparison to real draft spots, which was very well.

CB Gareon Conley: Picked at 29 here, went 24 in real life = +5
LB Tyus Bowser: Picked at 67 here, went 47 in real life = +20
WR Taywan Taylor: Picked at 125 here, went 72 in real life = +53
TE Jordan Leggett: Picked at 133 here, went 150 in real life = -17
WR Kenny Golladay: Picked as UDFA here, went 96 in real life = +158
CB Brendan Langley: Picked as UDFA here, went 101 in real life = +153
RB Joe Williams: Picked as UDFA here, went 121 in real life = +133
DT Grover Stewart: Picked as UDFA here, went 144 in real life = +110
CB Jamal Agnew: Picked as UDFA here, went 165 in real life = +89
CB Treston Decoud: Picked as UDFA here, went 169 in real life = +85
WR DeAngelo Yancey: Picked as UDFA here, went 175 in real life = +79
LB Tanner Vallejo: Picked as UDFA here, went 195 in real life = +59
DT Treyvon Hester: Picked as UDFA here, went 244 in real life = +10

My draft would be:
1.  CB Gareon Conley
2.  LB Tyus Bowser
3.  WR Taywan Taylor
3.  WR Kenny Golladay
3.  CB Brendan Langley
4.  RB Joe Williams
4.  DT Grover Stewart
5.  TE Jordan Leggett
5.  CB Jamal Agnew
5.  CB Treston Decoud
5.  WR DeAngelo Yancey
6.  LB Tanner Vallejo
7.  DT Treyvon Hester

If I had stayed in the draft and not taken a couple week sabbatical, I would have taken DJ Jones (6th FM, 6th IRL), TJ Logan (7th FM, 5th IRL), and Rayshawn Jenkins (7th FM, 4th IRL).  If I stuck at my 5th rounder and didn't trade up, I was taking Jonnu Smith (3rd) if Leggett didn't make it.

Malik Hooker: Took at 6, went 14. -8

Ryan Switzer: Took at 171, went at 133, +38

Jayon Brown, took at 156, went at 155, +1

Nate Gerry, took at 195, went at 184, +11

Only loss was Hooker but considering how I had nothing at FS and the QBs not going early in the forum mock, I am going to trust my own evaluations on him which say that he should be really good in that centerfield role. Tackling concerns should be balanced out by one of Gerry, Ihedigbo, or Blanton who can all do well in the box. Brown gives me some needed linebacker depth in coverage and Switzer gives me competition in the slot with Kerley along with a potential punt returner

19 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

DT Grover Stewart: Picked as UDFA here, went 144 in real life = +110

giphy.gif