rmw10

2017 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

3,638 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, ravefan52 said:

Someone want to take my pick? This is taking forever

well your up next after @ravensnick pick so only need to give someone a choice of two players.

Alright, fellas. We're on the 7th round, which is filled with back-to-backs for multiple teams and tons of selections by a handful of teams as well. Let's end it on a better note. @ludy51 is OTC with two consecutive selections. @JO_75 can make his selection at any time.

Anyone who wants out of the 7th to be done with the draft, PM me. I'm looking to move into the 7th.

10 minutes ago, ArsenalRaven666 said:

Should be @Ozzsome I believe but there are a number of skipped players

It is him. I PM'd him about 6 hours ago.

@Capitano1412 is now OTC.

We'll be having the sign ups for the UDFA not long from now. There will be a 24-hour sign up period and the order will be randomized for every round. Feel free to participate and you can drop out at any time. The 1st round of UDFA will allow one selection, with up to two in the 2nd round and up to three in the 3rd and thereafter. We will also have an FFA period once the 7th round is completed.

Adams flashes on tape, which had my interest initially, but I am admittedly intrigued by the amount of visits he's worked out for. He's workout with 11 teams thus far either via private visits or pro day workouts, including us. Could be one of those players who's taken earlier than otherwise expected.

@jazz1988 is now OTC.

4 hours ago, -Truth- said:

Adams flashes on tape, which had my interest initially, but I am admittedly intrigued by the amount of visits he's worked out for. He's workout with 11 teams thus far either via private visits or pro day workouts, including us. Could be one of those players who's taken earlier than otherwise expected.

@jazz1988 is now OTC.

Thanks @-Truth- you OTC....... Again 

Edited by jazz1988

4 hours ago, -Truth- said:

@jazz1988 is now OTC.

thanks for alerting me to him - he's certainly intriguing... he's a little undersized and obviously played against not great competition but he certainly bent the edge well, has a good-looking burst and pursuit and is often around the football - if he makes it to free agency i'd be happy for us to pick him up as a high target from what ive seen - i might have to watch some wisconsin or illinois oline tape though to check him out because i could only find him vs toledo and buffalo

12 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

thanks for alerting me to him - he's certainly intriguing... he's a little undersized and obviously played against not great competition but he certainly bent the edge well, has a good-looking burst and pursuit and is often around the football - if he makes it to free agency i'd be happy for us to pick him up as a high target from what ive seen - i might have to watch some wisconsin or illinois oline tape though to check him out because i could only find him vs toledo and buffalo

No problem. I agree on all accounts. I didn't have the chance to see anything beyond the two small cut ups, which made things difficult. I've read reports about his ability in coverage but didn't find footage to back it up. Truth be told, with the amount of visits he's had bordering a dozen, I have a tough time seeing him fall into the UDFA category. Would obviously like for us to take a chance on him if he does fall there though.

There are arguably more talented WRs on the board, or at least some with higher ceilings, but I decided to opt for dependability in Taylor. He has some of the best hands in the class, with just 4 drops on 141 catchable targets last season. He's dynamic after the catch and he's seemingly ready to contribute as a slot receiver, of which I didn't have many. The small catch radius, lack of top-tier speed and short stature does limit his upside, but I'm comfortable with his floor.

@Ozzsome is now OTC.

Edited by -Truth-

1 minute ago, -Truth- said:

No problem. I agree on all accounts. I didn't have the chance to see anything beyond the two small cut ups, which made things difficult. I've read reports about his ability in coverage but didn't find footage to back it up. Truth be told, with the amount of visits he's had bordering a dozen, I have a tough time seeing him fall into the UDFA category. Would obviously like for us to take a chance on him if he does fall there though.

i dunno i've definitely heard of guys who are expected to go undrafted getting some calls and visits to let them know that there is interest in them if they make it to free agency

35 minutes ago, -Truth- said:

I see what you did there.

8 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

i dunno i've definitely heard of guys who are expected to go undrafted getting some calls and visits to let them know that there is interest in them if they make it to free agency

Those calls normally come during the draft. Teams have a finite amount of private workouts, with just 30 allowed per team for the entire class, and he's seen almost a handful of private visits. Combined with the pro day workouts, he's somewhere in the Top 10 in this class in terms of quantity if WalterFootball's list of visitations is accurate (Which I'm uncertain of as I don't rely on them as a source for assessments). Obviously that doesn't define his value. It's almost a certainty that a portion of the workouts are due to the fact that he's a small school prospect and some teams are just eager for a closer look. It's difficult to envision teams bringing in a player for a private visit if they expect him to be a UDFA.

Edited by -Truth-

Just now, SepticeyePoe said:

I see what you did there.

lol Sadly enough, I use that more frequently than I should.

59 minutes ago, -Truth- said:

Those calls normally come during the draft. Teams have a finite amount of private workouts, with just 30 allowed per team for the entire class, and he's seen almost a handful of private visits. Combined with the pro day workouts, he's somewhere in the Top 10 in this class in terms of quantity if WalterFootball's list of visitations is accurate (Which I'm uncertain of as I don't rely on them as a source for assessments). Obviously that doesn't define his value. It's almost a certainty that a portion of the workouts are due to the fact that he's a small school prospect and some teams are just eager for a closer look. It's difficult to envision teams bringing in a player for a private visit if they expect him to be a UDFA.

Oh ok - fair enough - I mean he does look incredibly dynamic in those two bits of tape available and he looks pretty loose and flexible in his bend which is a great tool to have - I was surprised watching it to think no team would take a flyer on him

do you think there's a chance he's projected to go undrafted in the media circles maybe just because they don't have much/any tape on him?

39 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

Oh ok - fair enough - I mean he does look incredibly dynamic in those two bits of tape available and he looks pretty loose and flexible in his bend which is a great tool to have - I was surprised watching it to think no team would take a flyer on him

do you think there's a chance he's projected to go undrafted in the media circles maybe just because they don't have much/any tape on him?

That's definitely a possibility. I don't know that he's a prospect who's flying up the boards behind the scenes, and there's sometimes smoke instead of fire in the reported interest because teams are aware of it being reported, which helps your previous point about him potentially still going undrafted. I've just noticed over the past few years that there is a bit of a correlation between prospects projected in the mid-to-late rounds and their amounts of workouts. There seems to always be at least one example of a player projected in the late rounds who nets over a half-dozen visits and is drafted earlier than expected. It's not necessarily a nod to the talent level as it could just be a different grading/assessing method by the team scouts. Brandon Williams from Texas A&M is a solid recent example. He was touted as a 7th round selection or a UDFA, he saw a high amount of visits and was drafted in the 3rd round. This likely will be a bit of a sore spot, but I signed Tray Walker as a UDFA that year, and I remember his visit chart blowing up before he was drafted in the 4th. Nick Vigil could be named there as well, going in the 3rd. Now this obviously doesn't guarantee anything with Adams. He could conceivably go as high or he could go in the current projected range. And I can't say whether it specifically speaks to his talent being underexposed due to the lack of tape, as the level of interest doesn't necessarily coincide with the likelihood of him panning out. But it does seem to happen more with late round prospects and a lot of smaller school ones. In Adams' case, I was intrigued that he was worked out by the entire AFC North and a few other teams who've done well in drafting rushers recently, i.e. the Chargers and Falcons.

Edited by -Truth-