• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
rmw10

2017 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

3,283 posts in this topic

Just now, arnie_uk said:

@rmw10 did I read something about me losing picks or something along those lines?

Kind of, yes.  5.17 (I think it was that) went to the 49ers in the real life conditional trade for Derek Carrier.  You also got the later pick in the 6th round (not sure which one off the top of my head) in the Texans/Redskins real life trade where it wasn't announced which 6th round pick was traded at the time.

Would have certainly taken JuJu but I just do not see it with him. Lacks explosivness, does not really get Separation, is a big body WR and does not box out DBs he is just not playing like a 6'2 220 pounds guy. He does track the ball really well on deep throws, catches well on outside shoulder and is tough after the catch. 

43 minutes ago, PaRAYdise said:

Would have certainly taken JuJu but I just do not see it with him. Lacks explosivness, does not really get Separation, is a big body WR and does not box out DBs he is just not playing like a 6'2 220 pounds guy. He does track the ball really well on deep throws, catches well on outside shoulder and is tough after the catch. 

I'd agree in the first or the second, but not much risk taking him in the third. This WR class is kind of weird because I love the ceiling of a lot of the 2-4th round guys, but their floors are really low as well. 

Edited by ravensnick

Juju Schuster-Smith I think could develop into a Boldin type reciever.

Adam Shaheen is a big TE with speed and good catching ability.  Small schooled so the step up will be great, will need to learn to block better.

13 minutes ago, ArsenalRaven666 said:

Adam Shaheen is a big TE with speed and good catching ability.  Small schooled so the step up will be great, will need to learn to block better.

I really like Shaheen's potential. He has very similar physical attributes to Gronk. If he's able to be coached up and maxes out his strength on that 6'6" 278 pound frame the sky is the limit. 

23 minutes ago, ArsenalRaven666 said:

Definitely needs to learn to block better and s little stuff but could really turn out to be a very good TE.

1 hour ago, ravensnick said:

I'd agree in the first or the second, but not much risk taking him in the third. This WR class is kind of weird because I love the ceiling of a lot of the 2-4th round guys, but their floors are really low as well. 

24 minutes ago, ArsenalRaven666 said:

Granted, thats why I was thinking about picking him before trading down. But I just do not see the tools. But he seems to be willing to learn and a competitor so I will definitely root for him. I do not see the comparison to Boldin. But yes worth a shot in the 3rd.

25 minutes ago, Giants56Ravens52 said:

I really like Shaheen's potential. He has very similar physical attributes to Gronk. If he's able to be coached up and maxes out his strength on that 6'6" 278 pound frame the sky is the limit. 

Good move trading up. I can guarantee he wouldn't have been there after pick 25. I agree with you completely 

It was Ethan Pocic or Adam Shaheen when i was OTC.  I went with Pocic but agree if Shaheen learns to use that size and with good coaching could be a beast

Truth has permission to make a trade and pick on my behalf tonight if player is on the Board still

Sorry, just got back from work.  Didn't expect so much action today.  Possible trade in the works.

I'm surprised that Patrick Mahomes lasted this long. His footwork and tendency to scramble despite a clean pocket will be difficult challenges to overcome. He's a sandlot QB, his accuracy on deep throws is inconsistent, and his floor is as low as his ceiling on high. But with regards to the latter, he arguably has as much upside as any QB in this class. He might have one of the better arms in the league in his first season. I didn't need a QB but I was attempting to trade up for him myself.

4 minutes ago, -Truth- said:

I'm surprised that Patrick Mahomes lasted this long. His footwork and tendency to scramble despite a clean pocket will be difficult challenges to overcome. He's a sandlot QB, his accuracy on deep throws is inconsistent, and his floor is as low as his ceiling on high. But with regards to the latter, he arguably has as much upside as any QB in this class. He might have one of the better arms in the league in his first season. I didn't need a QB but I was attempting to trade up for him myself.

I think is is a special of or Game. QBs fall every year compared to real life. I think everybody just wants a starter and does not think about the future maybe because of the one year game I do not know but thats whats occurring almost every year here

Just now, PaRAYdise said:

I think is is a special of or Game. QBs fall every year compared to real life. I think everybody just wants a starter and does not think about the future maybe because of the one year game I do not know but thats whats occurring almost every year here

I agree. Though this class is tough to figure out and I was wondering if Watson going 11th would change the trend, they certainly do tumble in our proceedings. Part of it has to do with the comfort level at the position after trades and FA. I feel like most teams come into the Draft feeling like their QB situation is set.

Just now, -Truth- said:

I agree. Though this class is tough to figure out and I was wondering if Watson going 11th would change the trend, they certainly do tumble in our proceedings. Part of it has to do with the comfort level at the position after trades and FA. I feel like most teams come into the Draft feeling like their QB situation is set.

Yes I agree 100%

Thought the Evans and King picks were especially good in this range.  Shocked King made it this far considering the love fest for him around here.  Evans doesn't get much press because our S situation is pretty much solved, but he should be an early starter in the league.

1 minute ago, -Truth- said:

Had I been able to trade down probably wouldnt have taken Kizer at that point.

Although not awe inspiring do have Osweiler Kessler Kaepernick so adding a rookie was of little risk

Just now, rmw10 said:

Thought the Evans and King picks were especially good in this range.  Shocked King made it this far considering the love fest for him around here.  Evans doesn't get much press because our S situation is pretty much solved, but he should be an early starter in the league.

King was top of my board at this time :gaah:

1 hour ago, -Truth- said:

I agree fully with all the points you have raised. I think his ceiling is as high or higher than anybody else's, but he also has the biggest chance to bust due to the issues you've highlighted.

That being said, I think being picked by this Texans team is a great setup for Mahomes, because he gets to stay in Texas and he can sit behind a Hall of Fame QB for two years and learn from him. 

I think Drew Brees is the perfect mentor for him too, because of his work ethic and meticulous planning. If Mahomes can watch, learn and be teachable, when Brees decides to retire he can hopefully step in and play effectively. 

7 minutes ago, regz1997 said:

I agree fully with all the points you have raised. I think his ceiling is as high or higher than anybody else's, but he also has the biggest chance to bust due to the issues you've highlighted.

That being said, I think being picked by this Texans team is a great setup for Mahomes, because he gets to stay in Texas and he can sit behind a Hall of Fame QB for two years and learn from him. 

I think Drew Brees is the perfect mentor for him too, because of his work ethic and meticulous planning. If Mahomes can watch, learn and be teachable, when Brees decides to retire he can hopefully step in and play effectively. 

Sitting behind Brees could do wonders for Mahomes. He's the epitome of a project, but one of the better qualities about Mahomes is that he's been vocal about recognizing the issues with his technique and stating that he always uses constructive criticism to better his weaknesses. He spoke about Brees specifically at the Combine, stating that he would love the opportunity to sit behind him and pick his brain on a daily basis. It's fair to wonder whether he can control his gunslinger mentality, but I feel like he should be cut some slack due to the fact that he was asked to shoulder the load on an almost astronomical level at times. One of the most mind-numbing numbers with relation to Mahomes is that the Texas Tech defense allowed an average of 40 points per game through their 12 games. In addition, their OL was shoddy, they don't have a single other player projected to be drafted, and their leading rusher amassed 428 yards, which I can't place entirely on the air-raid approach given that DeAndre Washington broke the 1,100 yard mark in his last two seasons there. In almost every game, there were one or two plays wherein he took terrible ill-fated deep throws that were almost intercepted. It's a wonder whether he'll work through that mentality given that his surrounding talent would likely be better and that he won't have to force these throws nearly as often as he did in college. But the raw foundation is there in my eyes. He can make every throw, he looks downfield when he scrambles and he steps up into the pocket when he's pressured from the outside during the throw. He was absolutely worth the gamble at this point. At best, you've secured a future starter after Brees retires. At worst, it's a loss of a late 3rd round selection.