allblackraven

Ravens were about to give entire 2008 draft for Ryan

269 posts in this topic

According to Rapoport and nfl.com, Ravens had offered entire 2008 draft class to the Rams to trade up and take Matt Ryan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000783262/article/ravens-were-set-to-trade-draft-class-to-pick-matt-ryan-in-2008

The Rams wanted more (plus 2009 2nd round pick) and the deal fell through. The rest is history.

I have hard time believing this, what do you think?

Just now, Ravenseconbeast said:

Doesnt matter.  Just enjoy the superbowl and hope cheatriots lose

Truer words were never spoken.

Pretty sure this has been well documented several times and the Ravens have all but confirmed this is true.

Steve was willing to do whatever it took to get a franchise QB, and it was DeCosta that convinced him that the drop off from Ryan to Joe wasn't worth the picks we had to give up to get him.

If Steve had his way, Ryan would be a Raven.

25 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Pretty sure this has been well documented several times and the Ravens have all but confirmed this is true.

Steve was willing to do whatever it took to get a franchise QB, and it was DeCosta that convinced him that the drop off from Ryan to Joe wasn't worth the picks we had to give up to get him.

If Steve had his way, Ryan would be a Raven.

That  would of been insane to see us trade that many picks.  I can't even remember past the third round.   I would think Atlanta would of taken Joe then

2 hours ago, allblackraven said:

According to Rapoport and nfl.com, Ravens had offered entire 2008 draft class to the Rams to trade up and take Matt Ryan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000783262/article/ravens-were-set-to-trade-draft-class-to-pick-matt-ryan-in-2008

The Rams wanted more (plus 2009 2nd round pick) and the deal fell through. The rest is history.

History shows Joe was the better choice.  Any evidence suggest Ryan even sniffs the playoffs with Joe's career receiving talent?  One could assume yes.  One could also assume Joe has multiple rings with Roddy White/Julio Jones-quality receivers throughout his career.  Who knows?

Edited by playlikeawhat

All that matters is today how he is beating the cheatriots....

this is the way I love to see a Super Bowl.... I love when teams

who have never been there or won get the chance to do so... 

And then do it.... Go falcons!!!

You know the patriots are a losing team...end of the 3rd quarter and they already have 3

trick plays they have pulled.... They are desperate for a win.... 

What at does this have to do with the ravens you ask... This is the type of coach 

Harbaugh is... Sad when a coach gives up on a team... Even if it is the mighty patriots coach 

Bill bellecheck

One of the rare times where both teams are probably happy with their choice.  Ryan may be playing at a high level right now, but Flacco was better during the early portions of their careers.

Wow... Glad we didn't take RYAN now... What a super choke he is...

to be up by 21 points and to play like he is at the end of the game is 

unbelievable and all on him...and he shows nothing...

no wonder he isn't elite.... What a joke he is.

Thoroughly convinced that the patriots aren't the best team..

it was the falcons used the dean pees play book at the end of the game...

32 minutes ago, Ravensdoordie said:

Wow... Glad we didn't take RYAN now... What a super choke he is...

to be up by 21 points and to play like he is at the end of the game is 

unbelievable and all on him...and he shows nothing...

no wonder he isn't elite.... What a joke he is.

To be fair he didn't lose the game for the Falcons. They hardly had the ball in the second half. He is a really good QB and I applaud him for his MVP season and I disagree with you that he choked. Where is the evidence of him choking? In fact he made some incredible plays or should I say Julio Jones made the best catch I have seen all season on that snag on the sideline.

4 hours ago, allblackraven said:

Well, if we had taken Ryan, we don't know how good we could've been really. Its all conjecture at this point. But, I can't imagine us not having a couple of SB or at least 1 like we have with Joe. We would have perhaps won more regular season games for sure and with a defense as stout as ours, who knows? But, Flacco has performed well in the playoffs for us and won us a SB too. So all I can say is poor Falcons.

Just now, usmccharles said:

Ryan didn't choke,  the falcons as a team did.  Speechless

Hence the ":P"

Ryan had a much better season, but Flacco still has a ring and he doesn't. And to be frank, the "Falcons blew a 25 point lead" jokes are going to be awesome

4 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Ryan had a much better season, but Flacco still has a ring and he doesn't. And to be frank, the "Falcons blew a 25 point lead" jokes are going to be awesome

I never once thought the game was over when the Falcons lead by 3 TDs; I had a feeling it's a setup for the Pats to make the first team to ever come back and win with 3TD deficit in SB history...

Edited by AsianRice

11 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Honestly didn't even see your post lol.  These memes a dry re going to be magic

Edited by usmccharles

1 hour ago, Ravensdoordie said:

You know the patriots are a losing team...end of the 3rd quarter and they already have 3

trick plays they have pulled.... They are desperate for a win.... 

What at does this have to do with the ravens you ask... This is the type of coach 

Harbaugh is... Sad when a coach gives up on a team... Even if it is the mighty patriots coach 

Bill bellecheck

Yep... just like Harbs. 

Thanks for the high praise for our coach. I'm quite fond of him myself. 

8 minutes ago, Crimson Raven said:

Still waiting for Brady and Belicheck to retire.

Not before we kick their butt several times @ AFCC and kiss our #3 ring

1 hour ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

First it was the Warriors that blew a 3-1 lead. #NEVERFORGET

Then it was the Indians that blew a 3-1 lead. 

Now, the Falcons blew a 25 point lead. Unbelievable.

This is why the Ravens are trendsetters because they KNEW that being up large could lead to humility of biblical proportions if said lead was blown. Love the Ravens!

Tough to really say if that trade would be totally worth it because you give up Ray Rice at that point. Rice and the defense were a huge factor for the success of Joe early. However, Ryan would have had a vastly better offensive line in Baltimore and he's a vastly more accurate passer. He dealt with subpar offensive lines for several years in Atlanta and had below average run games. 

I think the Ravens could have been more successful, but I don't believe for a second that they'd be less successful.

4 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Tough to really say if that trade would be totally worth it because you give up Ray Rice at that point. Rice and the defense were a huge factor for the success of Joe early. However, Ryan would have had a vastly better offensive line in Baltimore and he's a vastly more accurate passer. He dealt with subpar offensive lines for several years in Atlanta and had below average run games. 

I think the Ravens could have been more successful, but I don't believe for a second that they'd be less successful.

I'm currently at a bar drinking extensively to forget the game tonight,  kind of,  but Ryan has hard Roddy white,  Julio,  one of the greatest TEs ever,  Michael turner... Now has the best rb duo easily... The only player joe has had close in that realm of talent is Ray Rice.  But Joe had a defense......

Devil's advocate

1 minute ago, usmccharles said:

I'm currently at a bar drinking extensively to forget the game tonight,  kind of,  but Ryan has hard Roddy white,  Julio,  one of the greatest TEs ever,  Michael turner... Now has the best rb duo easily... The only player joe has had close in that realm of talent is Ray Rice.  But Joe had a defense......

Devil's advocate

Joe has also beaten Tom Brady to win his first. Ryan has more to answer for than Joe in his career.

1 minute ago, usmccharles said:

Devil's advocate

We all love to say that all Joe needs is an offensive line and he'll be good. Well, Ryan got all the weapons, but absolutely no offensive line. It was a very similar situation to what is going on in Indy right now. 

And as far as Turner goes, he had one really great season and some good seasons, but the Falcons never had the one-two punch the Ravens always had (McGahee, McClain, Williams, Pierce), so even if Turner is rushing for 80 YPG, that's about all the Falcons were rushing for. Plus, Rice was always a vastly better receiver who could actually split out and make catches. Turner was good for MAYBE a catch a game and really had no versatility to be a great receiving threat that would command respect from defenses.

Freeman and Coleman are now the best duo in the league, but they've been it for one year. So, one year out of nine. One really good year of Turner, so two years out of nine where the running game was really a major driving force in the Falcons success.

When are these OCs are going to learn to run the ball in the 4th quarter. Every mistake the Falcons made was due to passing the football.  The fumble, The sack, the holding call. With Mike leaving, they may never make it back. SMH

1 hour ago, DomMcRaven said:

First it was the Warriors that blew a 3-1 lead. #NEVERFORGET

Then it was the Indians that blew a 3-1 lead. 

Now, the Falcons blew a 25 point lead. Unbelievable.

This is why the Ravens are trendsetters because they KNEW that being up large could lead to humility of biblical proportions if said lead was blown. Love the Ravens!

The Falcons blowing a 25 point lead isn't Ryan's fault..... But

Rings: 

Flacco:1

Ryan:0

Matt Ryan's Number is 2, Joe Flacco's number is 5. If you put two and five next to each other the number 25 is created. Joe Flacco has 1 super bowl ring. 25*1 is STILL 25....

The Falcons blew a 25 point lead. Never forget.