• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
BmoreBird22

The Super Bowl Thread

905 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, arnie_uk said:

Was brady not harassed all game as well? He done pretty well...

This doesn't need to turn into a bash flacco thread, it's about the Falcons number 1 offense that produced nothing for a qtr and a half to see out a suoerbowl victory lead by the best play caller this year, the league MVP and the best wideout in the game.

The defense faced 93 snaps or something, our defense has never faced that many from what I recall since I started watching in 2006. That's an absurd amount. The offense just cropped the bed towards the game. 

All the had to do was drive for a fg or two, or run down the clock and snap the ball with a few seconds left.. they couldn't even do that.

I wanted the Falcons to win, I expected them to be a total mismatch for new England and that's how the first half went. 

They should have killed the game before the 4th qtr started.

I know that for the final 12 passes Brady threw, he was not pressured. 

He was pressured on 20 of 70 drop backs. That's a little over one in four. The offensive line tightened up a ton in the second half and I do believe it was thanks to facing something like 96 snaps.

4 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I know that for the final 12 passes Brady threw, he was not pressured. 

He was pressured on 20 of 70 drop backs. That's a little over one in four. The offensive line tightened up a ton in the second half and I do believe it was thanks to facing something like 96 snaps.

Probably. I thought atlantas defense done very well first half. Obviously tired the second. 

22 minutes ago, arnie_uk said:

Do you think the league MVP of the no.1 offense with the top wideout in football did enough to win the biggest game of his career or was he found wanting when it mattered most?

being the league MVP does not give you magical powers which creates a bubble around so you cant be pressured.

given the circumstances he was in then yes he did more then enough.

rodgers is about the only QB who could put similar numbers being under pressure 60% of the time.
brees might the other guy.

other then that GL finding any QB who could do anything similiar.

you would have a point if he had a clean pocket with little to no pressure though.

Edited by Tru11

28 minutes ago, arnie_uk said:

Probably. I thought atlantas defense done very well first half. Obviously tired the second. 

Jarrett and Freeney were wrecking balls in the first three quarters. Just can't expect a 300 player with Jarrett's frame or a 37 year old to do it all game if they're playing 60+ snaps.

7 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Jarrett and Freeney were wrecking balls in the first three quarters. Just can't expect a 300 player with Jarrett's frame or a 37 year old to do it all game if they're playing 60+ snaps.

Which is where I think the offense let them down. Ryan was snapping the ball with 10 15 seconds left constantly. Regardless of play calling that's a rookie mistake. Have to be better aware of the situation of the game.

They were in fg range. Why doesn't kyle just run it? Why doesn't ryan audible to runs? Seen a stat they went 1 of 8 on 3rd down conversions as well. Even completing 3 more wins the game..

I think the number 1 offense in the league ultimately didn't do enough to win the game.

6 minutes ago, arnie_uk said:

Which is where I think the offense let them down. Ryan was snapping the ball with 10 15 seconds left constantly. Regardless of play calling that's a rookie mistake. Have to be better aware of the situation of the game.

They were in fg range. Why doesn't kyle just run it? Why doesn't ryan audible to runs? Seen a stat they went 1 of 8 on 3rd down conversions as well. Even completing 3 more wins the game..

I think the number 1 offense in the league ultimately didn't do enough to win the game.

As for why they didn't run more, I have a theory that relates to Alex Mack.

The Patriots did an amazing job of shutting down the outside stretch plays in the second half. BB dedicated a second defender to the strong side and had a defender essentially spying the cutback lane to make counters a play that won't work.

Then the question becomes why didn't he run more between the tackles? I have to think that is for two reasons. 1. Alex Mack had been off the field for like 90 minutes. The ZBS requires a lot of choppy steps and requires you to get to the second level. Very possible Mack's fractured bone started to hinder him. 2. Branch and Flowers make up a massive interior of the defense. They aren't easy to move at all. 

So, I think BB essentially dared Ryan to beat them and put faith in his corners to hold on long enough for Flowers and Long to hit home, which they did. 

Better question for me is why Shanahan was calling five and seven step srops out of shotgun. That's asanine to me, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to see if the defenders were pressing with inside leverage to jump short routes.

BB just made masterful defensive adjustments.

1 minute ago, arnie_uk said:

its easier for the defense to jump the snap if you wait till the last second to snap.

pretty stupid to do just that when you are under pressure majority of the time already and you want to throw it lol.

not to mention you wont be able to make adjustments or react to last seconds shifts or adjustments that the defense is making.

i remember the pats crowding the LOS every time against us and then drop 8 in coverage the moment we where going to snap it leaving our offense pretty confused....

its a good idea to snap it with 1 second if you plan on running the ball and burn the clock but in a close game when passing it makes more sense the try to be unpredictable.

3 hours ago, Tru11 said:

correction the team collapsed not just the defense.

how else would you explain 2 of the niners 4 scoring drives after the outage starting at the ravens 20 and 24 yard line?

well 1 started with the offense going 3 and out while losing 8 yards which resulted in a punt return to the ravens 20 yard line.

the other was a fumble on the 2nd play of the next drive which resulted in the niners starting on the ravens 24 yard line.

pretty insane if you dont consider this collapsing on the offense and special teams part and even more crazy blaming this on the defense...

then lets not forget that at the time the defense also lost this guy named ngata who im pretty sure its not some bum.

but by al means  dont let things that actually happened screw up your argument in your personal vendetta against pees though..

Yes I know. In your eyes the defense is not required to do their job at all unless the other team starts inside their own 10. The offense is expected to perform from their own 5 yd line and score - but not the defense. Nope buddy. They are only required to do their job if all the stars align in their favor lol

If you give your defense a 28-6 lead to start the 3rd quarter - and then are given another 6 points to add to that - if it comes down to a goal line stand - your defense has failed. You can blame coaching, players, whomever you like - but it is defensive fail with only 2 exceptions. If there is a pick 6 or there is a fumble in the end zone.

If your defense allows 31 pts in the 2nd half - or 21 pts in the 4th quarter - to blow a significant lead - that is a defensive failure. Offenses are going to become more conservative with such a lead and concentrate more on running out clock - that is just fact. Why do they do that? Oh that's right - because they expect that a defense can hold such a significant lead.

18 minutes ago, ravensdfan said:

Yes I know. In your eyes the defense is not required to do their job at all unless the other team starts inside their own 10. The offense is expected to perform from their own 5 yd line and score - but not the defense. Nope buddy. They are only required to do their job if all the stars align in their favor lol

If you give your defense a 28-6 lead to start the 3rd quarter - and then are given another 6 points to add to that - if it comes down to a goal line stand - your defense has failed. You can blame coaching, players, whomever you like - but it is defensive fail with only 2 exceptions. If there is a pick 6 or there is a fumble in the end zone.

If your defense allows 31 pts in the 2nd half - or 21 pts in the 4th quarter - to blow a significant lead - that is a defensive failure. Offenses are going to become more conservative with such a lead and concentrate more on running out clock - that is just fact. Why do they do that? Oh that's right - because they expect that a defense can hold such a significant lead.

The offense wasn't conservative at all though, that's the problem. If they commit to the run the Falcons win. But they were inexplicably (and stupidly) aggressive in situations that didn't call for it. I usually hate the "defense is gassed" excuse but it's legitimate here---the Pats' TOP was basically double the Falcons'. The reality is that the Falcons defense did pretty well to shut the Pats down for 3 quarters, they were going to start scoring eventually. The offense just needed one extra field goal and they didn't deliver. Bottled offense, defense that couldn't come up with ONE more play, total team loss.

Edited by ratedr

1 hour ago, Tru11 said:

its easier for the defense to jump the snap if you wait till the last second to snap.

pretty stupid to do just that when you are under pressure majority of the time already and you want to throw it lol.

not to mention you wont be able to make adjustments or react to last seconds shifts or adjustments that the defense is making.

i remember the pats crowding the LOS every time against us and then drop 8 in coverage the moment we where going to snap it leaving our offense pretty confused....

its a good idea to snap it with 1 second if you plan on running the ball and burn the clock but in a close game when passing it makes more sense the try to be unpredictable.

Even snapping 7 or 3 or 5 etc seconds is better than what he was doing. 

I just expected the best offense in the league to be better and pull on the clutch drive/play when it mattered to win the biggest game of their lives.

And tru, not to bring this around to a huge flacco bashing, but you know you would be slaughtering him if we lost like that.

The same way ravensdfan would be slaughtering the defense.

In reality it's a bit of both. 

29 minutes ago, ravensdfan said:

2 of the niners scoring drives started on the ravens 20 yard line and the ravens 24 yard line.
that is well within FG range.

no defense in the history of the NFL would be capable of not allowing a single point ever in that situation every single time.

should really lower your expectations if you expect a defense to not allow a single point in that situation when the opponent has such a short field to the endzone.

what you actually should be asking is who fault it was that the opponent got to start their drive at the door of the redzone in the first place.

ofcourse you wont ask yourself this because it would fk up your whole argument that it was all pees fault and him alone lol.
damm him for fumbling the ball in that spot and damm him for allowing that huge punt return......

This scene comes to mind with what Brady did to the Falcons. Totally torched them. I hate to admit it but he played the best game of his life last night! He's the GOAT. A freaking 6th rounder 

oh the movie scene

40 minutes ago, arnie_uk said:

I just expected the best offense in the league to be better and pull on the clutch drive/play when it mattered to win the biggest game of their lives.

Belichick is probably the greatest coach ever and his strength is the defense.

Id say if there is anyone capable of stopping/ limiting the best offense he would be my first pick.

IMHO, I know they say defense wins championships, but in this day and age, that is very difficult. Defenses are just too hindered in today's game like they never used to be in the past. There are some teams that, when healthy, can really get after the quarterback (like Denver a few years ago) and some teams that have a very good secondary (like Seattle a few years ago), but I don't think we will ever see another Super Bowl ever again where a defense holds an offense to zero points like the Ravens did in Super Bowl 35. It just won't happen. You can have the #1 run stopping defense in the league and a pretty good pass rush, but if your secondary is average it is going to be tough beating a team like the Patriots. You absolutely need an offense that can constantly keep putting up points.

19 minutes ago, cobrajet said:

IMHO, I know they say defense wins championships, but in this day and age, that is very difficult. Defenses are just too hindered in today's game like they never used to be in the past. There are some teams that, when healthy, can really get after the quarterback (like Denver a few years ago) and some teams that have a very good secondary (like Seattle a few years ago), but I don't think we will ever see another Super Bowl ever again where a defense holds an offense to zero points like the Ravens did in Super Bowl 35. It just won't happen. You can have the #1 run stopping defense in the league and a pretty good pass rush, but if your secondary is average it is going to be tough beating a team like the Patriots. You absolutely need an offense that can constantly keep putting up points.

With that said, do you think The Pats have been so good because they had the foresight of what was coming in the league and evolved before the rest of the NFL

I thought the game was pretty simple to me, the defense played well and aloud Ryan to do what a QB does which is take advantage of turnovers which to his credit he did. Once the Pats finally got some momentum, the Falcons rather than run the ball put it in Ryans hands to make some plays. Instead, it turned into a turnover which really isn't his fault and a MASSIVE sack that put them out of field goal range. Statistically, he played a great game....as the game continued and someone needed to come up big and make plays it happened less and less.

You can not expect to shut down a Brady offense all game if you are not on the field enough to keep him off.

13 minutes ago, gtalk12 said:

I thought the game was pretty simple to me, the defense played well and aloud Ryan to do what a QB does which is take advantage of turnovers which to his credit he did. Once the Pats finally got some momentum, the Falcons rather than run the ball put it in Ryans hands to make some plays. Instead, it turned into a turnover which really isn't his fault and a MASSIVE sack that put them out of field goal range. Statistically, he played a great game....as the game continued and someone needed to come up big and make plays it happened less and less.

You can not expect to shut down a Brady offense all game if you are not on the field enough to keep him off.

You are right, Falcons Offense could helped a lot by running more time of the clock, and by running when  in FG range, or get quick passes (like screens) out

1 hour ago, Purple Punishment said:

With that said, do you think The Pats have been so good because they had the foresight of what was coming in the league and evolved before the rest of the NFL

Honestly, I think they do a wonderful job evolving. They do a great job in the draft, considering they always draft in the late rounds due their good performance. I don't care for the fact that they have been caught cheating and IMHO they have exploited some loop holes in some of the rules that I don't necessarily feel was in the spirit of the game, but other than that I have to admit that I am a little jealous of how well that team is run and all the success they had. Just about every team that reaches the Super Bowl drops off in a year or two after, but the Patriots have reached the AFC Championship Game for the last six years in a row. I know Tom Brady is a great quarterback but even when he does not play because of injury or suspension, it seems his backup does not miss a beat. Also, some players that get into trouble with other teams seem to turn things around when they go to the Patriots. Even if you hate the Patriots, you have to admit that is impressive.

I'll say this much: if this game doesn't serve as a reminder to Marty Ball to continue running the ball when it's WORKING, then he should be fired on the spot. 

3 hours ago, gtalk12 said:

Exactly! The falcons offense couldn't stay on the field and the defense eventually got gassed! They looked completely exhausted on the GW drive

Hmmmmm...

Super Bowl 49: Instead of running it, Seahawks pass and lose the game.

Super Bowl 51: Atlanta neglected the running game, and loss the game.

The Ultimate irony.... Patriots do what Seattle and Atlanta failed to do and won a game on a rushing TD.

As they say, what goes around, comes around. 

3 hours ago, JO_75 said:

Hmmmmm...

Super Bowl 49: Instead of running it, Seahawks pass and lose the game.

Super Bowl 51: Atlanta neglected the running game, and loss the game.

The Ultimate irony.... Patriots do what Seattle and Atlanta failed to do and won a game on a rushing TD.

As they say, what goes around, comes around. 

Like I said in the Matt Ryan thread, it almost feels like the NFL is fixed. You cannot make up that fourth quarter of the Falcons game or that play calling on the goal line of the Seahawks game.

2 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Like I said in the Matt Ryan thread, it almost feels like the NFL is fixed. You cannot make up that fourth quarter of the Falcons game or that play calling on the goal line of the Seahawks game.

Leveon Bell going down early, tuck rule, etc, etc.......And the mother of them all, 2011 AFCG. They seem awfully fortunate in the post season. 

28 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

Leveon Bell going down early, tuck rule, etc, etc.......And the mother of them all, 2011 AFCG. They seem awfully fortunate in the post season. 

It's absolutely crazy to me that they've had this much luck. Like, how does the ball always seem to bounce their way? I don't understand.

2 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

It's absolutely crazy to me that they've had this much luck. Like, how does the ball always seem to bounce their way? I don't understand.

Voodoo

Shanahans will Shanahan. He's getting blasted for play selection and also the fact that the Falcons were leaving time on the play clock before snapping the ball.

The 3rd and 1 sack fumble was the spark that started the Patriots comeback. Matt Ryan looked shook. The Falcons choking it away was historic.

Don't like the Patriots but that was a great game and performance.

23 hours ago, arnie_uk said:

Julio Jones did all he could until a 12 yard sack, a holding penalty, and an in-completion pushed them out of FG range. Not to mention the strip-sack earlier which the Patriots cashed in for 8 easy points.

The Falcons #1 offense floundered down the stretch. The defense couldn't get off the field. Another play from either side and we're not talking about it today.

On 2/6/2017 at 2:07 PM, arnie_uk said:

Links? Haven't heard this? Trust there to be a scandal when the pats are involved. 

I dont have the links, and im too lazy to find a film online.  If there is a film ready somewhere ill find it to prove myself.   But Matt went to the sidelines and kept screaming "it broke, its broken" then he waits for an answer on what is happening, with no answer from rest of the staff.