BR News

[News] Ravens Want Young Infusion Of Talent At Safety

44 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2017 at 11:01 AM, ravens4life86 said:

Would the Ravens sign Eric Berry? He just said hes not playing on franchise tag again.
I know I know, probably a 2% chance kc lets him get away but without a contract he could sit out. And there was the Dumervil fax issue.

So hypothetically Berry doesnt re-sign with kc, Ravens have to try to sign him. 28 years old, much younger then 31 year old Weddle when signed and playing like a Ed Reed esque free safety.

If salary cap were not an issue then maybe there would be room for him. Yes he's a ball hawking safety, but at his age, being in the prime of his career, he will command a high price tag. To pick up a player like him would most likely mean saying goodbye to BW and maybe others.

It makes much more sense to draft a younger safety and take advantage of good veteran leaders already on the team to show them the ropes.

In almost every case like this, I would agree with you 100%. And I think taking a very good young safety would be a good idea while Weddle is around. But I have some interesting thoughts about signing Berry.
BW may get offered a ton of money and go elsewhere no matter what. Same with Wagner. Esp since we don't tend to make huge offers before FA. And Berry would cost a lot, but we have a lot of moves we can make to free up 20+mil in cap space. And most of the moves make a lot of sense imo. Then, with the way things have gone the past few years, especially last year, I think it's clear that Harb's and the staff, and quite possibly Ozzie as well, are on the hot seat this year. Time to win. And our window is still open. Esp while Suggs is around for one more year...at least I hope so. So if Berry did get away from KC, going after him would not only be a win now move, but also for years to come. If he becomes available and we really wanted him, I think we could get him. Plus it would have to be enticing for him to come the Ravens and play side by side with the highest rated safety in the Game. Weddle+Berry+Tavon+Jimmy+1rst round CB= best secondary in the NFL for years. Hands down. And as much as I can't believe we could actually find someone to replace BW, Pierce is a stud! Both are better, but I'd rather have Berry over BW if it came down to that. Though I know they won't cost the exact same amount. KC is ridiculousif they can't work out a deal with him but we'll see. They wouldn't have even made the playoffs without that guy this year. I hope they pieved him off enough though.
There's nothing I would love more than to go into next year with
Weddle+Berry+Jimmy+Tavon+Quincy Wilson as our secondary. Nothing

23 hours ago, outkast1 said:
  On 2/4/2017 at 2:21 AM, sizzlingdoom said:
  On 2/3/2017 at 9:00 PM, The Beak said:
  On 2/3/2017 at 5:18 PM, outkast1 said:

Jabrill Peppers at safety, enough said !

Not a good fit for the Ravens, he is to slow to cover WRs and to small for a ILB , not great value for 1st rd pick , Ravens could and should do a lot better with the 1st rounder

The genius above scolded you by saying "please do your research before making comments". LOL Funny how people act so tough on here. hahaha. The only reason I bicker at one user is because he's hating on others for no reason, kinda like outkast1 just did to you. Its pretty sad lol. And yes outkast 1...because we've never seen players run faster 40 times with their schools timing them as opposed to the combine....lol, what a joke. I agree with you The Beak. I would be bummed if we took Peppers in the first or esp. at 16.

Just stop it ! We are all fans of the same team. Your trying to create friction from a simple 1 minute fact search. I'm not a bully for asking to use the search option.We owe to each other to present facts. You shouldn't use the word HATE for asking people to be responsible for what they write.

Ok. But my question is why are you talking to him like he's an idiot? Maybe he doesn't have the time to look up college football research, no matter how long it takes. Maybe he just wants to read about the ravens and put his 2 cents in without being "corrected". It's funny cuz you say it's a "simple 1 minute fact search". Cmon, really? It's NOT a fact. Players sizes and numbers are enhanced all the time when their school's in charge of it. You can call it a fact once his numbers come out at the combine. I agree. There's no reason to bicker. I just can't stand it when people on here put others down cuz they think they know what they're talking about. Like all this stuff is fact, and not opinion. I'm done with it though. I guess your comment wasn't as bad as I thought at the time, but it was still completely unnecessary. And stupid cuz they aren't even facts. Just really seemed like you were putting down a random user for no reason at all, just like one of the very unhappy users on here

This is a forum for Ravens fans to talk about football and not about you and your feelings. Moderators would have taken my comment down if it was as bad as you say. Just stop it !

Ravens want young infusion of talent at safety???? Really??? Well, they need to fire some of their talent advisors, because they have repeatedly failed. The topic should read....."Ravens clean cuberts and hire new football draft and free agent advisors, whom put them over the top!"

Thats why the Ravens have to keep losing players to "high bidding", cap excessive, loser teams. Because they cant find talent? Lets look at some other examples;
Listen you cannot have it both ways. The fact that the Ravens find good talent at reasonably "value level" picks and FA price availability says quite a lot.
It puts them in the top layer of NFL teams as far as the "game".
Especially since 2000 with 2 Super Bowls and 9 Playoff appearances, and 12/16 .500 or better seasons.

Teams that consistently win, consistently pick low in the Draft. Thus one would think it increases the success/failure rate over all. You cite an interesting opinion about "failure", maybe you can research that stat and see where teams rank on Draft retention, success and contract lengths with the team.

Players all develop at different times, on different levels, at certain positions. Payton Manning didn't have a winning season until year 3.
Steve Young didn't play for 5 years. Walter Payton had 0 yards rushing in his first NFL game on eight carries, he went on to only earn 680 yds rushing for the year after being picked #4 in the draft.

Generally speaking, from my view of the Ravens, they have been above average in player selection. A bit unlucky in some releases (Priest Holmes, Bolden, Stokely ) and a few unavoidable circumstances such as the Ray Rice issue and admittedly the entire Kyle Boller deal.

I have all the faith in the world in Ozzie and Co. finding a good player at this position! Ozzie knows what he needs, he use to play with hard hitting ball hawks when he played! TRUST

Not sure if this applies to this particular forum, but I remember Wright made some nice tackles close to the line of scrimmage.  His one main fault seems to be speed when playing corner.  However, he does play with a lot of fire and is a pretty good tackler.  Convert to safety?  Maybe back up safety?  Just a thought.  That way we could save a draft pick for more o lineman or whatever else we need. Again just a thought.

On 2/3/2017 at 8:10 PM, EdTheMythicalOne said:

A lot of articles mentioning a lot of names and very few of them end up being correct. Was Correa or Kafusi on anyone's radar last year as potential 2nd and 3rd round picks?

Thing is, with as many needs as this team has the Ravens can pretty much go anywhere with their first round pick and go best player available and fill a need as well. I am not sure if that is really a luxury, but the Ravens need to start nailing there top end picks again. Stanley was a step in the right direction but I don't think much of Correa. It was a confusing pick and makes me think it was a knee jerk reaction and the player they really wanted was picked off. I think they gambled that Myles Jack would drop to them.

Stanley was a home run hit, not just a step in the right direction. It is too early to say what his ceiling will be, but as far as his play and consistency through his rookie season, it is easy to see him as a more than adequate LT for many seasons. IMHO he will earn some Pro Bowl recognition in time as he has the talent and ability and good leadership from Yanda who is a model of hard work and consistency.

K.C. has not been given enough action for anyone to have a fair assessment of his skills. The fact they moved him to a new position takes time to learn, to adjust, and to adapt your instincts. It was unfortunate, in the fact K.C. did not see as much action. Given the recent news that Zachary Orr had to retire, it could very well pay dividends this next season. Even if they draft another LB having one that has experience in the system and is ready to step in is huge.

Kaufusi, I am optimistic about. I'm not expecting much as this point and will hopefully be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't even have an idea of what to expect. I mean here is a player that most people had not heard off, but at least from size perspective looks to be disruptive. Back problems can be pretty serious so hopefully he is fully healed and ready for camp with no setbacks.

I agree with your assessment of Stanley. IMO, he will anchor the left side of our line for hopefully the next decade.
Again, I agree on Correa. He fell victim to John's special team demands and should get a shot at replacing Orr this year. he is physical and athletic. I could see him doing well there.
Kaufusi injury, I think was a broken ankle and not a back injury.

On 2/5/2017 at 2:21 AM, Ravenous_Ravens said:

Stanley was a home run hit, not just a step in the right direction. It is too early to say what his ceiling will be, but as far as his play and consistency through his rookie season, it is easy to see him as a more than adequate LT for many seasons. IMHO he will earn some Pro Bowl recognition in time as he has the talent and ability and good leadership from Yanda who is a model of hard work and consistency.

K.C. has not been given enough action for anyone to have a fair assessment of his skills. The fact they moved him to a new position takes time to learn, to adjust, and to adapt your instincts. It was unfortunate, in the fact K.C. did not see as much action. Given the recent news that Zachary Orr had to retire, it could very well pay dividends this next season. Even if they draft another LB having one that has experience in the system and is ready to step in is huge.

Kaufusi, I am optimistic about. I'm not expecting much as this point and will hopefully be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't even have an idea of what to expect. I mean here is a player that most people had not heard off, but at least from size perspective looks to be disruptive. Back problems can be pretty serious so hopefully he is fully healed and ready for camp with no setbacks.

I am not cracking on any of these players so I am not really sure why you are responding to me in a way to try to defend these people. I didn't even mention Stanley because it was pretty much a given the Ravens would be going after Tunsil or Stanley in the first round. Correa and Kafusi were small school guys that nobody heard of. I believe the Ravens were trying to show how "cute" they can be by finding diamonds in the rough. Thing is, you do that in the late rounds, you don't do that with your first three picks because those guys are at the very least supposed to be starters on your team.

Kaufusi is tall, but lean in the legs and I thought he broke one of his legs, not a back injury? The knock on him is that he lacks power specifically because his legs are not strong enough.

Expensive linemen walking from the Ravens after their rookie contracts run out is nothing new. Just off the top of my head there was Micheal Oher who could have been a serviceable RT, Ben Grubbs who went on to become a Pro Bowl LG, and Jason Brown C who was a very good center for many years. Of course KO left last season as well. You can't spend 60-70 million on 5 offensive linemen so you will have perhaps 3 anchors and the others will all be rotational guys.

Our anchors right now are Yanda and Stanley; if Stanley pans out to be everything he looks like he will be, the Ravens will keep him in Baltimore. You don't let franchise LT's walk.

Draft up and include some late rounders so we can get players that can start like Stanley. Forget the best on the board stuff, go for class players!!!
We have to get a center, 2 DB's and a fast LB in the first 3 rounds or less.

On February 6, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Raven'evermore said:

Not sure if this applies to this particular forum, but I remember Wright made some nice tackles close to the line of scrimmage.  His one main fault seems to be speed when playing corner.  However, he does play with a lot of fire and is a pretty good tackler.  Convert to safety?  Maybe back up safety?  Just a thought.  That way we could save a draft pick for more o lineman or whatever else we need. Again just a thought.

Not a bad thought actually. If the Ravens do indeed take a CB early in the draft or a starting callibar FA to line up across from J.Smith then young will be moved to the slot where he'd play on 2/3 of snaps. I could see him play 5-10 snaps a game as safety in 3 deep packages or closer to the line in some situations when we are not playing Nickle.

Converting him to safety full time would be a bit of a gamble at this stage of his career. We don't want to risk halting his development as a corner and if he doesn't play the slot then we need 2 CBs because chances are Jimmy or Webb will miss significant time due to injury. 

6 hours ago, Halshayeji said:

Not a bad thought actually. If the Ravens do indeed take a CB early in the draft or a starting callibar FA to line up across from J.Smith then young will be moved to the slot where he'd play on 2/3 of snaps. I could see him play 5-10 snaps a game as safety in 3 deep packages or closer to the line in some situations when we are not playing Nickle.

Converting him to safety full time would be a bit of a gamble at this stage of his career. We don't want to risk halting his development as a corner and if he doesn't play the slot then we need 2 CBs because chances are Jimmy or Webb will miss significant time due to injury. 

Thanks. Personally, I have to wonder why he's even playing corner. Not trying to put him down, but speed can't be taught and it seems that he plays better closer to the line of scrimmage than having to try and keep up, or in his case catch up to the wr.  As far as getting 2 cbs, I have no problem with that considering how deep this draft is. If anything it might be a good idea to start converting him over to safety as soon as possible to get him ready.

budda baker in the second round would be a hell of a pick for the ravens. hes got the explosiveness and range to play FS but has a SS mentality. the kid is special and would be a top 20 pick if he was 3 inches taller.

26 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

budda baker in the second round would be a hell of a pick for the ravens. hes got the explosiveness and range to play FS but has a SS mentality. the kid is special and would be a top 20 pick if he was 3 inches taller.

After letting go HaHA and Collins, Ozzie needs to come through with Bama picks in the secondary - Eddie Jackson this year, Fitzpatrick next.

22 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

After letting go HaHA and Collins, Ozzie needs to come through with Bama picks in the secondary - Eddie Jackson this year, Fitzpatrick next.

id take jackson with the 3rd comp if hes there. big if though, not sure id take him higher, i do like him i just dont love him.