BR News

[News] Ravens Want Young Infusion Of Talent At Safety

44 posts in this topic

I think that we'll get a corner, hopefully Quincy Wilson, in the first round and Desmond King(CB/S) in the 2nd round.

This is where the miss on Elam and Terence Brooks (my guy! Go Noles!) really come back to bite The Ravens. Two highly touted college Safeties drafted in the 1st 3 rounds and neither will make it to a second contract. I thought pairing Elam's (college) toughness with Brooks' speed and ball skills would've set Baltimore up for years. Too bad it didn't.

Would the Ravens sign Eric Berry? He just said hes not playing on franchise tag again.
I know I know, probably a 2% chance kc lets him get away but without a contract he could sit out. And there was the Dumervil fax issue.

So hypothetically Berry doesnt re-sign with kc, Ravens have to try to sign him. 28 years old, much younger then 31 year old Weddle when signed and playing like a Ed Reed esque free safety.

i love these articles every off season that say the ravens would like to get this type of player or need this or want that etc...etc..

Safeties usual fall in the 1st Round. I know mocks have Adams & Hooker going before we pick but there's a chance that one of them could be there when we pick. Wouldn't mind Peppers either - a big hitting safety that can cover the Eiferts/Gronks of the NFL and still be a huge factor in the run game especially in the Big Nickel Package. Add in one of those top shelf CB in Round 2 and the secondary makes significant improvement. Marcus Williams of Utah is another really good safety we could target in Round 2-3.

A lot of articles mentioning a lot of names and very few of them end up being correct. Was Correa or Kafusi on anyone's radar last year as potential 2nd and 3rd round picks?

Thing is, with as many needs as this team has the Ravens can pretty much go anywhere with their first round pick and go best player available and fill a need as well. I am not sure if that is really a luxury, but the Ravens need to start nailing there top end picks again. Stanley was a step in the right direction but I don't think much of Correa. It was a confusing pick and makes me think it was a knee jerk reaction and the player they really wanted was picked off. I think they gambled that Myles Jack would drop to them.

Jabrill Peppers at safety, enough said !

Not a good fit for the Ravens, he is to slow to cover WRs and to small for a ILB , not great value for 1st rd pick , Ravens could and should do a lot better with the 1st rounder

4 hours ago, outkast1 said:

Not a good fit for the Ravens, he is to slow to cover WRs and to small for a ILB , not great value for 1st rd pick , Ravens could and should do a lot better with the 1st rounder

Please do your research before making comments. A simple google search puts Peppers at 6.1 207lbs and his 40 time is around 4.34.Ed Reed 5.11 207lbs and ran his 40 time at 4.57. Ray Lewis 6.1 at 240lbs.and his 40 time was 4.37. A quote from Ray Lewis before he retired,"The game is changing," Lewis said. "The game ain't no more 250, 260-pound fullback and you don't have offenses running the ball 25, 30, 40-plus times. That was my thought process was coming into this year. Playing lighter is much smarter for me."

51 minutes ago, The Beak said:
  4 hours ago, outkast1 said:

Please do your research before making comments. A simple google search puts Peppers at 6.1 207lbs and his 40 time is around 4.34.Ed Reed 5.11 207lbs and ran his 40 time at 4.57. Ray Lewis 6.1 at 240lbs.and his 40 time was 4.37. A quote from Ray Lewis before he retired,"The game is changing," Lewis said. "The game ain't no more 250, 260-pound fullback and you don't have offenses running the ball 25, 30, 40-plus times. That was my thought process was coming into this year. Playing lighter is much smarter for me."

Exactly. Peppers is faster & stronger than both Weddle & Webb. Nobody would ask him to cover Antonio Brown (just like we don't ask Weddle to). But next year, we face Tyler Eifert x 2, Zach Miller, Eric Ebron, Delanie Walker, Jared Cook, Kyle Rudolph, etc. Not to mention that if we make the play-offs we'll probably see Gronk, Kelce, etc. Peppers could easily match-up with all of those guys in a big nickel package. He's really good at stopping the run, so our defense doesn't suffer against the run when going to a nickel package (as most defenses do). You could even line him up next to Mosley (taking Orr's spot) like the Cardinals do with Deone Bucannon (6'1" 211lbs 4.49 40 - 203 tackles in last 2 years).

Too bad we don't know how to draft any good safeties- just like we don't know how to draft good corners and good WR (except for Torrey who is gone now)

1 hour ago, outkast1 said:
  2 hours ago, The Beak said:
  5 hours ago, outkast1 said:

Exactly. Peppers is faster & stronger than both Weddle & Webb. Nobody would ask him to cover Antonio Brown (just like we don't ask Weddle to). But next year, we face Tyler Eifert x 2, Zach Miller, Eric Ebron, Delanie Walker, Jared Cook, Kyle Rudolph, etc. Not to mention that if we make the play-offs we'll probably see Gronk, Kelce, etc. Peppers could easily match-up with all of those guys in a big nickel package. He's really good at stopping the run, so our defense doesn't suffer against the run when going to a nickel package (as most defenses do). You could even line him up next to Mosley (taking Orr's spot) like the Cardinals do with Deone Bucannon (6'1" 211lbs 4.49 40 - 203 tackles in last 2 years).

I would bet that he could cover Brown if needed ! The upside of this kid is worthy of a 1st round pick.

I think that we'll get a corner, hopefully Quincy Wilson, in the first round and Desmond King(CB/S) in the 2nd round.

That sounds absolutely ideal. 2 of my favorite players in the draft by far

8 hours ago, outkast1 said:

The genius above scolded you by saying "please do your research before making comments". LOL Funny how people act so tough on here. hahaha. The only reason I bicker at one user is because he's hating on others for no reason, kinda like outkast1 just did to you. Its pretty sad lol. And yes outkast 1...because we've never seen players run faster 40 times with their schools timing them as opposed to the combine....lol, what a joke. I agree with you The Beak. I would be bummed if we took Peppers in the first or esp. at 16.

12 hours ago, The Beak said:
  16 hours ago, outkast1 said:

The genius above scolded you by saying "please do your research before making comments". LOL Funny how people act so tough on here. hahaha. The only reason I bicker at one user is because he's hating on others for no reason, kinda like outkast1 just did to you. Its pretty sad lol. And yes outkast 1...because we've never seen players run faster 40 times with their schools timing them as opposed to the combine....lol, what a joke. I agree with you The Beak. I would be bummed if we took Peppers in the first or esp. at 16.

Just stop it ! We are all fans of the same team. Your trying to create friction from a simple 1 minute fact search. I'm not a bully for asking to use the search option.We owe to each other to present facts. You shouldn't use the word HATE for asking people to be responsible for what they write.

20 hours ago, zachcch said:

That sounds absolutely ideal. 2 of my favorite players in the draft by far

Would be a good move to completely shore up the defensive backfield for several years in one draft. Nabbing a safety might increase pressure on Webb to take a pay cut.

I would like to see Hooker and Lattimore or Tankersley , Tabor combinations.

restocking the cupboard isnt always the best idea if you are wait until what you are restocking has to expire. sometimes i just wish the Ravens would let young players be baptized by fire. we hang onto older players far too long now, perhaps its loyalty. i prefer a winning brand of football, its a business and i am an unhappy consumer. it amazes me to see how many young defensive players Atlanta has starting this year as rookies or 2nd yr pros. you could see the improvement and progression of the Falcons defense as the season went on. Ravens D seemed to have plateau mid season then spiral downward, somehow managing to hold onto a top 5 unit participation award

This is where the miss on Elam and Terence Brooks (my guy! Go Noles!) really come back to bite The Ravens. Two highly touted college Safeties drafted in the 1st 3 rounds and neither will make it to a second contract. I thought pairing Elam's (college) toughness with Brooks' speed and ball skills would've set Baltimore up for years. Too bad it didn't.

You got he right. Compare Matt Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ue7wlWAhgg to compared that to Jamal Adams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ue7wlWAhgg

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, 6-11-Maine said:

You got he right. Compare Matt Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ue7wlWAhgg to compared that to Jamal Adams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ue7wlWAhgg

That bring into question : Is it the drafting or the coaches failure to develop? How about Trawick who sees playing time with the Raider. Yet they bring in Huff off the street.

Desmond King could be a steal in the second round of he is there. 

Id like peppers, but if we take him I hope we trade back and land him so we can pick up at least another 3rd round pick so we can hit on a CB or Edge guy in those deep groups 

A super underated safety to keep your eyes out for is Budda Baker from Washington. 

He literally rewinds me of a younger and faster Weddle. He tackles well, can be disruptive at the line and can covertly extremely well, even when matches up against bigger targets. He has legit ball skills too.

I expect he will run a sub 4.5, maybe even 4.4. Could be a great trade up prospect in round 2. Imagine getting Sidney jones or Quincy on the outside then adding a super versatile safety? Our secondary would have a lot more speed and physicality. 

A super underated safety to keep your eyes out for is Budda Baker from Washington. 

He literally rewinds me of a younger and faster Weddle. He tackles well, can be disruptive at the line and can covertly extremely well, even when matches up against bigger targets. He has legit ball skills too.

I expect he will run a sub 4.5, maybe even 4.4. Could be a great trade up prospect in round 2. Imagine getting Sidney jones or Quincy on the outside then adding a super versatile safety? Our secondary would have a lot more speed and physicality. 

He has great closing speed and opponents don't get passed him very often. I don't know who taught him how to tackle but maybe they should be a coach on the Ravens.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:50 PM, OzzieBisciotti said:

Too bad we don't know how to draft any good safeties- just like we don't know how to draft good corners and good WR (except for Torrey who is gone now)

They know how to draft "good" WR's, just not in the right rounds. Travis Taylor was a "good" WR, but just not a 1st rounder. Mark Clayton I think would have been a very good WR had it not been for his injuries. He put up some good numbers.

We drafted Chris McAlister and Jimmy Smith at CB. Tavon Young who people were high on this season was a draft pick.

Ravens want young infusion of talent at safety???? Really??? Well, they need to fire some of their talent advisors, because they have repeatedly failed. The topic should read....."Ravens clean cuberts and hire new football draft and free agent advisors, whom put them over the top!"

23 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:
  On 2/3/2017 at 6:00 PM, The Beak said:
  On 2/3/2017 at 2:18 PM, outkast1 said:

Just stop it ! We are all fans of the same team. Your trying to create friction from a simple 1 minute fact search. I'm not a bully for asking to use the search option.We owe to each other to present facts. You shouldn't use the word HATE for asking people to be responsible for what they write.

Ok. But my question is why are you talking to him like he's an idiot? Maybe he doesn't have the time to look up college football research, no matter how long it takes. Maybe he just wants to read about the ravens and put his 2 cents in without being "corrected". It's funny cuz you say it's a "simple 1 minute fact search". Cmon, really? It's NOT a fact. Players sizes and numbers are enhanced all the time when their school's in charge of it. You can call it a fact once his numbers come out at the combine. I agree. There's no reason to bicker. I just can't stand it when people on here put others down cuz they think they know what they're talking about. Like all this stuff is fact, and not opinion. I'm done with it though. I guess your comment wasn't as bad as I thought at the time, but it was still completely unnecessary. And stupid cuz they aren't even facts. Just really seemed like you were putting down a random user for no reason at all, just like one of the very unhappy users on here

After watching Budda Baker, he looks likely to be valued as a first round tender. I think I would prefer Budda Baker over a Jabril Peppers mostly for how well is able to see the field, as he rarely ever has difficulty locating and adjusting to the ball. Definitely worth a hard look as eh is a ball hawking safety with great instincts, open field tackling and angles of pursuit. His size is pretty average, which is not a bad thing, and he is will challenge bigger ball carriers and make tackles. Also has a great name to cheer for when he's making plays.

Only thing I disagree about is Budda Baker being available in the second round, baring bad testing or other concerns, etc. Not necessarily a bad thing. Could always draft him first round and go corner in the second, as it is deep this year. Play makers in general in the secondary is a good thing.

A lot of articles mentioning a lot of names and very few of them end up being correct. Was Correa or Kafusi on anyone's radar last year as potential 2nd and 3rd round picks?

Thing is, with as many needs as this team has the Ravens can pretty much go anywhere with their first round pick and go best player available and fill a need as well. I am not sure if that is really a luxury, but the Ravens need to start nailing there top end picks again. Stanley was a step in the right direction but I don't think much of Correa. It was a confusing pick and makes me think it was a knee jerk reaction and the player they really wanted was picked off. I think they gambled that Myles Jack would drop to them.

Stanley was a home run hit, not just a step in the right direction. It is too early to say what his ceiling will be, but as far as his play and consistency through his rookie season, it is easy to see him as a more than adequate LT for many seasons. IMHO he will earn some Pro Bowl recognition in time as he has the talent and ability and good leadership from Yanda who is a model of hard work and consistency.

K.C. has not been given enough action for anyone to have a fair assessment of his skills. The fact they moved him to a new position takes time to learn, to adjust, and to adapt your instincts. It was unfortunate, in the fact K.C. did not see as much action. Given the recent news that Zachary Orr had to retire, it could very well pay dividends this next season. Even if they draft another LB having one that has experience in the system and is ready to step in is huge.

Kaufusi, I am optimistic about. I'm not expecting much as this point and will hopefully be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't even have an idea of what to expect. I mean here is a player that most people had not heard off, but at least from size perspective looks to be disruptive. Back problems can be pretty serious so hopefully he is fully healed and ready for camp with no setbacks.

Would the Ravens sign Eric Berry? He just said hes not playing on franchise tag again.
I know I know, probably a 2% chance kc lets him get away but without a contract he could sit out. And there was the Dumervil fax issue.

So hypothetically Berry doesnt re-sign with kc, Ravens have to try to sign him. 28 years old, much younger then 31 year old Weddle when signed and playing like a Ed Reed esque free safety.

If salary cap were not an issue then maybe there would be room for him. Yes he's a ball hawking safety, but at his age, being in the prime of his career, he will command a high price tag. To pick up a player like him would most likely mean saying goodbye to BW and maybe others.

It makes much more sense to draft a younger safety and take advantage of good veteran leaders already on the team to show them the ropes.