3-4ravdef509

Torrey Smith or Mike Wallace

111 posts in this topic

Saw some speculation on LFW today about the possibility of cutting Wallace due to cap savings and potentially able to replicate his production/a down field threat for cheaper, with Torrey Smith being a potential cap casualty with the 49ers as a possibility. 

So, who would we prefer? What money would Torrey want and would we benefit more woth Wallaxe at his current cap hit or Torrey for potentially less?

Both would be ideal.  Wallace takes a pay cut and Torrey comes home on the cheap after realizing the grass isn't always greener. 

If I had to choose between the two, it would be Torrey because he's younger.

Obviously doesn't make sense to have both, because then you're entire WR core is just a bunch of outside speed receivers. Unless we plan on running 4 verticals and throwing hail mary's all game long, that doesn't put us in a position to have a good offense.

3 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

If I had to choose between the two, it would be Torrey because he's younger.

Obviously doesn't make sense to have both, because then you're entire WR core is just a bunch of outside speed receivers. Unless we plan on running 4 verticals and throwing hail mary's all game long, that doesn't put us in a position to have a good offense.

Unless we got ourselvs A-Rod

9 minutes ago, Jon_21 said:

Both would be ideal.  Wallace takes a pay cut and Torrey comes home on the cheap after realizing the grass isn't always greener. 

Keep in mind also that Wallace is due just $5.75M next season. A 1,000 yard receiver returning as the defacto #1 WR on the roster and we're going to ask him to take a paycut from a very reasonable amount due?

If I'm Wallace or his agent, there's no chance in the World I take a paycut, and I might even be asking for a raise.

Between the two.......I'd prefer getting Marshall and letting Perriman take the #2 spot and then praying either Camp stays healthy or Moore learned how to catch.

Okay, reasonably I'd take Torrey between the two.  At least Joe seemed confident throwing deep to Torrey since they had their "omg, there's no safety coverage, let's bomb it"  connection

24 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Keep in mind also that Wallace is due just $5.75M next season. A 1,000 yard receiver returning as the defacto #1 WR on the roster and we're going to ask him to take a paycut from a very reasonable amount due?

If I'm Wallace or his agent, there's no chance in the World I take a paycut, and I might even be asking for a raise.

I love this sentiment as well.  Wallace has 0 reason to accept a paycut.  If he were to be released, there's a strong likelihood he's going to be able to get $5.75M+ on the open market after what he did last year.  It actually gives him an opportunity to rack up some more guaranteed money a year earlier.  For that reason, there's no sense in him taking a pay cut.

Wallace and I'm not thinking too hard about it. I got a lot of love for what Torrey has done here but I think Wallace can do a bit more than him.

1 hour ago, PurpleCity5 said:

Wallace and I'm not thinking too hard about it. I got a lot of love for what Torrey has done here but I think Wallace can do a bit more than him.

I have to agree. Even if he's older, Wallace seems to do better against press coverage and just seems to get open easier. I wouldn't be against Torrey plus another receiver for the price Wallace is going to get, but if it's just between the two it has to be Wallace.

Why is cutting Wallace even brought up. He did exactly what we wanted him to do. Why sign him in the first place then. That would be bad business 

Neither are really the answer.   Both are similar with speed with limited route/hands.

I want another Derrick Mason/Steve Smith Sr. guy

2 minutes ago, CalvinSmoke said:

Why is cutting Wallace even brought up. He did exactly what we wanted him to do. Why sign him in the first place then. That would be bad business 

Wallace was bought in to be a deep threat for The Ravens which he did quite well at last year but now with Steve Smith gone The Ravens need more reliable receiver.  If Wallace refused a pay cut or more likely a extension then it's quite possible The Ravens could let him go and decide to re-sign Torrey Smith if  he is indeed  cut by  The 49ers. Torrey Smith would be cheaper and still give The Ravens the speed they need but I like Mike Wallace and think he should stay.

6 minutes ago, Ravenseconbeast said:

Neither are really the answer.   Both are similar with speed with limited route/hands.

I want another Derrick Mason/Steve Smith Sr. guy

Having  a reliable receiver like Mason and Smith Sr is great to have and those type guys have always been  Joe Flacco favorite targets but it's those deep threat like  Mike Wallace or Torrey Smith that help them do what they do best especially if we talking about  33+ year old  Mason and Smith Sr.

18 minutes ago, jazz1988 said:

Wallace was bought in to be a deep threat for The Ravens which he did quite well at last year but now with Steve Smith gone The Ravens need more reliable receiver.  If Wallace refused a pay cut or more likely a extension then it's quite possible The Ravens could let him go and decide to re-sign Torrey Smith if  he is indeed  cut by  The 49ers. Torrey Smith would be cheaper and still give The Ravens the speed they need but I like Mike Wallace and think he should stay.

He was asked to be a deep threat... And he gave that when called on. Steve Smith is no longer on contract, sign someone with his old funds lol but don't cut a guy to sign a worse version of him. Then Mike will kill it in New England and will make us look like fools.

2 hours ago, RaineV1 said:

I have to agree. Even if he's older, Wallace seems to do better against press coverage and just seems to get open easier. I wouldn't be against Torrey plus another receiver for the price Wallace is going to get, but if it's just between the two it has to be Wallace.

Wallace runs those slants/crossing patterns better than Torrey, but I'm not blown away by that aspect of his game due to his lack of physicality, but regardless Torrey to me was just too unpolished of a WR. Too unrefined and I think Wallace is just ahead right now in terms of receivers. 

58 minutes ago, CalvinSmoke said:

He was asked to be a deep threat... And he gave that when called on. Steve Smith is no longer on contract, sign someone with his old funds lol but don't cut a guy to sign a worse version of him. Then Mike will kill it in New England and will make us look like fools.

Sadly, my biggest fear is always if player X goes to NE.....

To the question, Wallace.  Living in the past is never good, Wallace at that price is a steal, open market he will get 8mill easily.  Maybe im just still bitter about Torrey not even showing effort on the ball in NE. At all.

I think people need to actually dissect the numbers a bit more with Wallace. He clearly showed signs of slowing down in the second half and he was virtually not even playing in the last four games of the season. It is either he ran out of steam, or teams caught on to what he was doing on the field and made adjustments, or a matter of both.

I say if Brandon Marshall becomes available we go with him, cut Wallace and let him get an absurd pay day somewhere else, and then see if Torrey is on the market and what kind of money he might get. He's coming off of a couple of disappointing years with horrible QB play and a bad, bad, concussion. Right player, right price. I think he's faster that Wallace and has more in the tank to give. I think a homecoming for him would do him well.

I think Torrey still has his top end speed and will for a few more years. Wallace is clearly losing his and that's his only ticket in the game.

I'd even like a combo of Marshall and Boldin. I think we have enough speed types to help take a top off a defense if they develop and can actually catch a football in Perriman and Chris Moore.

10 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Wallace is due 8. Mil we save 5.75 if we cut him.

I like Torrey a lot but I would prefer keeping Wallace. I would love to get Boldin back or if Camp could stay healthy to have a realiable target other than Pitta.

57 minutes ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

I think people need to actually dissect the numbers a bit more with Wallace. He clearly showed signs of slowing down in the second half and he was virtually not even playing in the last four games of the season. It is either he ran out of steam, or teams caught on to what he was doing on the field and made adjustments, or a matter of both.

I say if Brandon Marshall becomes available we go with him, cut Wallace and let him get an absurd pay day somewhere else, and then see if Torrey is on the market and what kind of money he might get. He's coming off of a couple of disappointing years with horrible QB play and a bad, bad, concussion. Right player, right price. I think he's faster that Wallace and has more in the tank to give. I think a homecoming for him would do him well.

I think Torrey still has his top end speed and will for a few more years. Wallace is clearly losing his and that's his only ticket in the game.

I'd even like a combo of Marshall and Boldin. I think we have enough speed types to help take a top off a defense if they develop and can actually catch a football in Perriman and Chris Moore.

Trestmans scheme gave Wallace more opportunities. He and perriman are the only receivers that can make a play after the catch, take a slant 30 yards. At least we know Wallace will catch it. I still don't understand why this is still a topic. Let's talk about that offensive line. Zuttah and Alex Lewis can use an upgrade.

2 hours ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

That's what concerns me about Wallace. He didn't have any injury concerns, if so they would have been revealed by now. I don't know if it was him running out of steam either because he was still playing with the same speed and I didn't see a drop off in his intensity. From what I seen, when in tight man coverage, he struggled sometimes, he couldn't win in those slant/shallow routes often because he wasn't physical enough and I think that was a sign that teams caught onto Wallace. 

Maybe going back to him burning out, he did fail a conditioning test early in the off-season so maybe his stamina might be on the decline? But that to me is an insult to Wallace and one I don't really think is a possibility at all, I wouldn't go that far considering that it didn't sound like a problem at all after that. There's plenty of reasons but I think the reasons listed above in terms of his lack of physicality in a WCO and struggles in tight man could explain it, this might sound like a shot at our offense but I think Mike Wallace might have been more effective in another system where he wouldn't have to attack the slant so often. 

Edited by PurpleCity5

Torrey Smith or Mike Wallace?

Its Mike Wallace hands down. Torrey plays way too soft and gives up on routes. Mike had a great 1st half with 39 catches but then tailed off in the second half. He proved he was worth his salt in the first Pittsburgh game when he jumped up after a big hit late in the game. Whether he ran out of gas or whether the OC change had something to do with his reduced production in the 2nd half of the season is a valid question. I don't think we utilized him that effectively in the second Pittsburgh game. Joe went to him right out of the gate for a short pass completion but then we didn't target him much at all in a game where he should have been featured in a homecoming game against his former team. When he was utilized correctly and when Joe was given adequate protection, Wallace was a "baller" and had his best season since 2012. If the team decides it cannot afford Wallace's $5.75 million salary, we should try to upgrade our #1 WR position. Clearly, Torrey would not be an upgrade. Obviously, we will still need a FA complementary receiver to fill the void vacated by Steve Jr..  

torrey smith if he is cheaper.

he is younger and brings the same as wallace to the table.

Perriman should be the #1 receiver since he was drafted to become just that.
time for maxx to show up as well.

just need to find a slot receiver who can do the dirty work over the middle since camp cant stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Tru11 said:

torrey smith if he is cheaper.

he is younger and brings the same as wallace to the table.

Perriman should be the #1 receiver since he was drafted to become just that.
time for maxx to show up as well.

just need to find a slot receiver who can do the dirty work over the middle since camp cant stay healthy.

Should and is is a very different thing.  We did draft him to be that, but he isnt ready, but man, i hope he takes that step.  I think we see big things from Max this year if Pitta is gone. 

Torrey is younger, a model citizen, and a guy that i really really loved as a Raven. But Wallace is coming off a 1000 yard season and releasing him to sign Torrey wouldn't free up much cap if any. If this was the jets or browns looking for a WR for the next few years then yes it would probably be Torrey but Wallace has a better chance of getting 1000 yards catching passes from Flacco in 2017

1 minute ago, Halshayeji said:

Torrey is younger, a model citizen, and a guy that i really really loved as a Raven. But Wallace is coming off a 1000 yard season and releasing him to sign Torrey wouldn't free up much cap if any. If this was the jets or browns looking for a WR for the next few years then yes it would probably be Torrey but Wallace has a better chance of getting 1000 yards catching passes from Flacco in 2017

I could see a scenario where we cut Wallace to sign Marshall, then Torrey still hasnt signed with a team and then we bring him back.  That being said i dont think this happens, just saying i think thats how we would end up getting him

4 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Should and is is a very different thing.  We did draft him to be that, but he isnt ready, but man, i hope he takes that step.  I think we see big things from Max this year if Pitta is gone. 

If he aint ready in his 3rd season then he probably wont ever be ready to be honest lol.

Just now, Tru11 said:

If he aint ready in his 3rd season then he probably wont ever be ready to be honest lol.

haha, i count this as his second.  but yea, after this season....i think we will know what we have

1 minute ago, usmccharles said:

I could see a scenario where we cut Wallace to sign Marshall, then Torrey still hasnt signed with a team and then we bring him back.  That being said i dont think this happens, just saying i think thats how we would end up getting him

we both know that theres like 1% of a chance of that happening. But heck if it does then il be the first to celebrate and give you all the credit in the world. When it comes to Wallace. It would really be dumb to just cut him. Hes coming off a 1K yard season and whatever team gets him only has to pay 5.75 mil of his salary. So if we do part ways with Wallace then trade him dont just cut him.