Steve0x

Ravens announce $144M in stadium upgrades

47 posts in this topic

The stadium authority did not want escalators because of all of the lawsuits from the 1994 escalator disaster at Orioles Park.  They were concerned about liability.  Modell did not fight for them because they were a headache for him in Cleveland.

Mitch Hedberg

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

I'm excited for these changes, I just hope we put in a bid for future Super Bowls starting in 2022(Currently, Super Bowl Locations are set through 2021), maybe Bowl Games(don't know how NCAA selects bowl games locations), or other major sporting events not counting concerts. I know we don't have a roof and not a major market like NY/NJ but more cold weather cities need to host Super Bowls. Would hope these changes would satisfy the NFL with consideration to bringing a Super Bowl to Baltimore. I imagine though hotels and transportation may be an issue that would be a road block.

5 hours ago, K-Dog said:

Yeah, while amusing this is completely false. It is against Life/Safety codes to use a secured escalator as a staircase. If they break down they have to be barricaded until repaired. 

Escalators are an inherintly dangerous piece of equipment and a maintenance nightmare. They are also energy hogs. I can see why they have resisted their installation. I would guess installing them will raise liability insurance exponentially and also add a huge chunk of change to the operating budget. 

3 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

Yeah, while amusing this is completely false. It is against Life/Safety codes to use a secured escalator as a staircase. If they break down they have to be barricaded until repaired. 

Escalators are an inherintly dangerous piece of equipment and a maintenance nightmare. They are also energy hogs. I can see why they have resisted their installation. I would guess installing them will raise liability insurance exponentially and also add a huge chunk of change to the operating budget. 

Mitch Hedberg is (was ) a comedian not an engineer. 

The post was strictly for humor sake.

3 hours ago, K-Dog said:

Mitch Hedberg is (was ) a comedian not an engineer. 

The post was strictly for humor sake.

Gotcha. Just the engineer coming out of me.  haha

20 hours ago, berad said:

Yup, and at least they're putting money into it and their own facilities.

The Redskins stadium isn't even 10 years old and Danny Boy is looking for a brand new one.

Skins stadium opened in 1997.   It was designed after the meadowlands and rushed to complete so jack Kent Cooke could see it finished.  He never saw a game played there as he passed away before the season began.  

Its an awful stadium and he needs a new stadium. Probably the worst in the league.

I suggested before instead of escalators, how about those rolling paths like you have at some airports? Much better option and can go right on the existing ramps with minor modifications. 

And I thought they took them out of OPACY? Only go to a few games a year and always sit along the 3rd base line or left field. Cause that's where the smoking side is. Lol

1 hour ago, RavensFanMania said:

Skins stadium opened in 1997.   It was designed after the meadowlands and rushed to complete so jack Kent Cooke could see it finished.  He never saw a game played there as he passed away before the season began.  

Its an awful stadium and he needs a new stadium. Probably the worst in the league.

Is it sad I looked that up and legitimately thought 1997 was 10 years ago? Getting old!

On 2/10/2017 at 11:29 AM, berad said:

Is it sad I looked that up and legitimately thought 1997 was 10 years ago? Getting old!

And at a bar in Northern Virginia watching the Ravens game, just before I see tv ads for Redskins season tickets.  Guess the 30 year waiting list is history.

Edited by Nightman

On 2/10/2017 at 3:18 AM, Tank 92 said:

They used stopped escalators in the Washington Metro all the time.

On 2/2/2017 at 6:51 AM, Nightman said:

They used to have small TVs above the urinals at the Verizon Center, but got rid of them because the lines weren't moving.

I sure don't want the guys around me looking up at a TV. WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING> and don't tell me its raining

On 2/2/2017 at 1:32 PM, Rinbee said:

I can

But at halftime it is so crowded you better hold it longer.

Edited by Swift 1

On 2/10/2017 at 1:17 AM, JO_75 said:

I'm excited for these changes, I just hope we put in a bid for future Super Bowls starting in 2022(Currently, Super Bowl Locations are set through 2021), maybe Bowl Games(don't know how NCAA selects bowl games locations), or other major sporting events not counting concerts. I know we don't have a roof and not a major market like NY/NJ but more cold weather cities need to host Super Bowls. Would hope these changes would satisfy the NFL with consideration to bringing a Super Bowl to Baltimore. I imagine though hotels and transportation may be an issue that would be a road block.

Do I have to go on my annual rant? Football is NOT a winter sport.  In February there should not be any football games but if you must have them have then indoors.

1 minute ago, Nightman said:

They used stopped escalators in the Washington Metro all the time.

Only for emergency usage if there's no other egress other than the small elevators. If the station has stairs between the escalators they barricade the stopped escalator. Reason is the rise of the treads is greater than allowed by code. Also when stopped all are not equal. 

Escalators are nice, especially since I sit in the upper level, but they are ruining the aesthetics of the stadium with video boards in the notches.  The notches are one of the most distinctive characteristics of the stadium and now they are polluting them with more video nonsense.  It's a freaking football stadium, not an Imax theater.  If fans need more video to be engaged in the game they should stay home.