• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Jimmy Smith getting props from NFL.com's Next Gen Stats

72 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, PurpleCity5 said:

The Jimmy trolls are hilarious. 

Bottom-Line is this, we're not winning a SB without Jimmy Smith, not if he's hurt and especially if we cut him. I personally think we would've beaten NE back in 2015 Divisional and this isn't a slight at that team, many people who knows Jimmy Smith agree with that statement, not only would we could have won, but I think we would have thrashed the Colts en-route to what could have been our 3rd SB victory. Now that's a complete hypothetical but one that's very possible given the insane year the guy was having. 

Ive always said the year the Ravens beat them the Ravens would have lost if Pats had Gronk or Talib just as I think the Ravens would have won if they had either Pitta or Smith.  In the playoffs the team with the healthiest top players typically wins when you get down to the top teams.

24 minutes ago, Adreme said:

Ive always said the year the Ravens beat them the Ravens would have lost if Pats had Gronk or Talib just as I think the Ravens would have won if they had either Pitta or Smith.  In the playoffs the team with the healthiest top players typically wins when you get down to the top teams.

Maybe that's the case, but I was speaking in terms of what Jimmy would've provided for us. Of course the healthiest team wins, but I was speaking in terms exclusively to Jimmy's impact and what we lost. 

On 2/4/2017 at 1:06 AM, usmccharles said:

A CB cant get interceptions if the WR is covered...and the qb doesnt even throw the ball his way....

I stopped reading after that sentence, pretty sure that was a good idea

So I'm not the only one that was happy he could stop reading that long post after the first sentence.  I remember Asante Samuel getting, I think, 10 INTs in a season he gave up 12+ TDs.  Any time I see someone judge a CB purely on INTs, I know the convo is pointless

1 hour ago, Purple_City39 said:

So I'm not the only one that was happy he could stop reading that long post after the first sentence.  I remember Asante Samuel getting, I think, 10 INTs in a season he gave up 12+ TDs.  Any time I see someone judge a CB purely on INTs, I know the convo is pointless

Exactly. 

To Whom It May Concern:

Wow, this blog should be re-titled "How Great Thou Art, Jimmy!". I've watched the Ravens since 1996 but that's not the point here, is it? What's very clear here is that you and some of Jimmy's other defenders' bias is showing (no pun intended). The Ravens' CBs couldn't play press coverage effectively if their lives depended on it. That's the simple truth but many of you cannot handle the TRUTH because you are in denial (not to be confused with the river in Egypt). My biggest problem with this Smith is that he cannot stay "on the field". Whether its bad luck or bad genes, its mox nix to me. He hurts the team by being sidelined with his nagging injuries. He has missed a total of 22 out of 96 games in six years or nearly 25% of the games. That's not my opinion; that's a fact! To put that into perspective, its nearly 1 1/2 seasons of playing time that he's missed and during which time he didn't shut down anyone but himself and our defense.

Some on this blog have opined that Jimmy and John are a Top 5 CB and a Top 5 head coach, respectively. Some have added that our defense was a Top 3 defense with Jimmy (that's true). We have the No. 1 Placekicker in All-World Justin Tucker. So, why aren't we winning more consistently? Oh, I forgot, its all Joe Flacco's fault! Well, here's a news scoop for you Jimmy protagonists (aka alibi artists, defenders and advocates). Blaming the Ravens' lack of success this year on Joe or Jimmy for that matter is as laughable as blaming last night's SB loss on Mattie Ice Cream. More games are lost in the Not For Long league than games are won. What happened last night was reminiscent of the bone-headed playcalling I have watched for most of John Harbaugh's tenure here. Big egos caused the collapse of the Falcons, not Matt Ryan or Julio Jones but I digress. I wish Jimmy Smith well but I would trade him in a heartbeat for a young shutdown corner like Jalen Ramsey.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, Adreme said:

Pure speculation on your part.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:56 AM, trevorsteadman said:

You are setting the bar quite high.... Deion Sanders is considered a top 5 defender ever to play the game. Fact is Jimmy Smith is probably a top 5 corner when healthy. He rarely gets beat and I can't recall hime ever really having a penalty against him. I get it when you say when you aren't on the field you aren't helping the team but he isn't really commanding too much money compared to other top corners in the league. And when your defense goes from 1st to 27th in the league when he isn't out there you know why. You don't get rid of a player of that caliber no matter how much they cost. Even if he only plays 12 games a season, he is the most sure thing on the field on Sundays. There is nobody out there nearly his caliber on the market. And while Jimmy has had some 'nagging' issues he has played through most. The ones he has sat out have mostly been from bad luck and from his surgery. You don't get rid of a player that caliber to make your team better. You add depth behind him just in case he is unable to go out there for whatever reason. There's a reason that most playoff teams are the teams who #1 are healthy relative to the rest of the NFL and #2 have the depth behind those players to step up.

There is some merit in what you've said unlike some of the meritless posts on the blog site. He may be a "Top 5" corner when healthy although I think there are probably more than five of his peers who would vehemently disagree with your assertion. However, isn't that like saying an employee is Heck when they're well but they're sick too darn much? I haven't proposed getting rid of him but I would make a trade for him if some young stud like Jalen Ramsey came on the market. There is such a thing as "having a nose for the ball" and I'm not sure Jimmy has a strong sense of smell. Week in and week out, game commentators like Rich Gannon and others comment on how far off the LOS the Ravens' defenders play, resulting in easy third down conversions. If Jimmy is to be Harbaugh's floor general, so to speak, he has to be the leader of the defense and, clearly, he isn't. In order to be the leader, he has to be on the field for every snap.

While you and others may disagree, interceptions are a key indicator of a defender's skill in reading plays and beating one's opponent to the POA but don't take it from me --- ask Malcom Butler. OR, ask Ed Reed who I affectionately used to refer to as The Magician 'cause he would appear out of nowhere. With all due respect to Jimmy's skill set, he isn't the "Leader of the Pack" like Richard Sherman or Talib Aquib are and he had zero as in nada pics this year even as we tied for the league lead in interceptions. By the warped logic that some members of our blog would cite, Jimmy's 0 pics would be an indication of his great coverage ability but there's a fallacy in their thinking. Since some of Jimmy's finest fans have used the "They don't the ball Jimmy's way so how can he intercept any passes" defense, it would be interesting to know how many of our league leading interceptions occurred when Jimmy was on the field, viz a viz when he was a spectator. IDK but it has aroused my intellectual curiosity.

As for your suggested solution to the problem, I would agree. I submit that our defense went from #3 to #27 for one reason ---- lack of depth at the CB position. It was the same problem our offense had when the other Smith went down with an ankle injury. There was nobody with the same skill set to replace him. Tom Brady missed the same number of games this year and NE did OK without him. Our team has to do much better with talent evaluation and "coaching the younger players up".

Incidentally, I like your comment about setting the bar too high, and, yes,I probably have. Great high jumpers & pole vaulters do it all the time!  I only wish our coaching staff would set the bar higher for Jimmy and some of our other players. We need more playmakers and "over-achievers" on this club. Without a shadow of a doubt, this team should have been capable of posting a better record than 8-8, with or without our "Top 5?" cornerback.

This is going to be a long off season....i can only imagine how many of these debates are going to happen......great. 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, Purple_City39 said:

Um, first Jimmy already got a big payday.  Not sure why you think he hasn't, and he won't be getting an incentive laden contract next year.  Probowl means little since they've become popularity contest.  How long before Ngata finally got voted to one?  Brandon Williams?  Weddle was rated best safety in the game and he was an alternate.

Second, I'm wondering how deeply you watch these games.  Jimmy can definitely play both sides (his first two years were primarily at the LCB position) so I don't know why his versatility is in question.  He's also shadowed multiple WRs all game long no matter where they went.  The coaching staff choosing to have him focus on a side doesn't diminish his skill just like it doesn't for Sherman and Norman, who also primarily play one side.  Remember Samari Rolle?  He never left the defensive right side either regardless of whether Frank Walker or Fabian Washington was lined up opposite him.  That's a coaching decision, not player

Last, Steve Smith missed 4 games (5 weeks including the bye) after his ankle injury yet you're praising him yet blasting Jimmy for missing 4 games after an ankle injury 

Here's the difference, Mr. Purple. One Smith reported back for active duty when our season was on the line; the other Smith didn't. One demonstrated his old-school toughness; the other Smith shutdown his game due to, IDK, poor conditioning, nagging injury-proneness, concussion protocol or whatever. The point is he wasn't there. The other walking wounded including Yanda, Dumerville and Suggs played in the Pittsburgh game and nearly pulled it out without All-World Jimmy. Wouldn't that have been a story for the Jimmy lovers? Don't get me wrong, Mr. Purple, Jimmy's good but maybe he's not the impact player that you think he is.

Samari Rolle probably isn't a good analogy. Didn't he play in the same backfield with three or four other All-Pro caliber defenders?

6 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

Here's the difference, Mr. Purple. One Smith reported back for active duty when our season was on the line; the other Smith didn't. One demonstrated his old-school toughness; the other Smith shutdown his game due to, IDK, poor conditioning, nagging injury-proneness, concussion protocol or whatever. The point is he wasn't there. The other walking wounded including Yanda, Dumerville and Suggs played in the Pittsburgh game and nearly pulled it out without All-World Jimmy. Wouldn't that have been a story for the Jimmy lovers? Don't get me wrong, Mr. Purple, Jimmy's good but maybe he's not the impact player that you think he is.

Samari Rolle probably isn't a good analogy. Didn't he play in the same backfield with three or four other All-Pro caliber defenders?

Steve Smith got injured in the first half of the season.  Missed 4 games to let his injury heal.  Jimmy Smith got injured with only 4 games to go.  Do you really think any player is playing on an injured ankle to just impress fans?  If Jimmy, and the coaches, were stupid enough to let him play, you'd have likely seen a performance worse than any you've ever seen of a CB because no CB can "tough it out" on a high ankle sprain.

And 3 to 4 all pro's in the backfield is a stretch.  Reed, McAlister......that's it.  And McAlister missed 18 combined games in 07 and 08 and Samari still stayed on the defensive right side.  Even as Fabian Washington lined up at the LCB against number ones in 08.  I think in 07 our LCB position featured studs like Corey Ivy, Derrick Martin, and David Pittman.  And no matter who it was, Samari stayed at RCB.  Let your best lock down one side, and roll coverage to the other.

17 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

Pure speculation on your part.

I mean of course its speculation but both years both teams were missing there best offensive and defensive weapons who were almost certainly playing at a top 5 level for there position and both games were a 1 score game.   Are you honestly telling me that the Pats with Gronk and Talib or the Ravens with Pitta and Smith could not get 1 extra score or 1 less score from that.

Especially for the Ravens when the ONLY reason the pats won that game is because they abused Jimmys replacement for almost 150 yards in one half which would NOT have happened to Jimmy.

Edited by Adreme

Jimmy Smith is a great player for 12 games (77% Game Rate).

We might have to accept that fact because history doesn't lie.

I say we double dip cornerbacks this year's draft, so we only need Jimmy for 12 games.