BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Jimmy Smith getting props from NFL.com's Next Gen Stats

72 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, usmccharles said:

Good points, i wasnt aware of that.  According to the link below it shows a career of 78 games, so out of the 102 games he has been here for, does that mean he has only started those 74 games?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJi03.htm

Looking at that reference, the "G" column is games played which is 74. The "GS" column to the right is games started which is 56. Adding in the 6 playoff/SB games would take his totals to 80 played with 57 started.

Also note in the "POSition" column, capital letters indicates primary starter. Lower case indicates part time starter.

Edited by Rav'n Maniac

It's really a shame that Jimmy is considered injury prone.  A broken foot, two ankle sprains, a concussion, and a sports hernia are more bad luck than "injury prone" to me since those aren't all that preventable.  Maybe he could heavily tape his ankles more, idk.

Hopefully he can play and start another 16 games this year like he did in 2013 and 2015.

3 hours ago, Purple_City39 said:

It's really a shame that Jimmy is considered injury prone.  A broken foot, two ankle sprains, a concussion, and a sports hernia are more bad luck than "injury prone" to me since those aren't all that preventable.  Maybe he could heavily tape his ankles more, idk.

Hopefully he can play and start another 16 games this year like he did in 2013 and 2015.

Think he had back issues keep him out last year as well.  

4 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

That was this year.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, Purple_City39 said:

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, Tank 92 said:

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, BmoreBird22 said:

That was this year.

The thing about excuses is that everybody has one. If Jimmy can't stay healthy, he can't help the team win. Whether he's injury prone or its bad luck isn't the issue. The issue is his lack of durability. In the Not For Long League, a player has to show up, put up and shut up. He hasn't shown that he can do that yet, year in and year out. Getting props from NFL.com's Next Gen Stats isn't helping him stay on the field. Deion Sanders was a shutdown corner who was not a big hitter. Sometimes Jimmy is a big hitter but he's not close to being a shutdown corner like Sanders was even when he's healthy. That's a fact. I'd rather see him be a shutdown corner than a big hitter. That being said, I hope he can be healthy next year and be an impact player in 2017 but I'm starting to have my doubts.

On 1/31/2017 at 4:18 PM, BmoreBird22 said:

That was this year.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Didn't think of the Ravens still playing "this year" since they were not in the tournament and done playing weeks ago. 

Edited by Tank 92

6 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

The thing about excuses is that everybody has one. If Jimmy can't stay healthy, he can't help the team win. Whether he's injury prone or its bad luck isn't the issue. The issue is his lack of durability. In the Not For Long League, a player has to show up, put up and shut up. He hasn't shown that he can do that yet, year in and year out. Getting props from NFL.com's Next Gen Stats isn't helping him stay on the field. Deion Sanders was a shutdown corner who was not a big hitter. Sometimes Jimmy is a big hitter but he's not close to being a shutdown corner like Sanders was even when he's healthy. That's a fact. I'd rather see him be a shutdown corner than a big hitter. That being said, I hope he can be healthy next year and be an impact player in 2017 but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Well, good luck finding any corner close to Sanders because he's considered thr greatest defensive back and one of the top 3 defensive players of all time.

8 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

You are setting the bar quite high.... Deion Sanders is considered a top 5 defender ever to play the game. Fact is Jimmy Smith is probably a top 5 corner when healthy. He rarely gets beat and I can't recall hime ever really having a penalty against him. I get it when you say when you aren't on the field you aren't helping the team but he isn't really commanding too much money compared to other top corners in the league. And when your defense goes from 1st to 27th in the league when he isn't out there you know why. You don't get rid of a player of that caliber no matter how much they cost. Even if he only plays 12 games a season, he is the most sure thing on the field on Sundays. There is nobody out there nearly his caliber on the market. And while Jimmy has had some 'nagging' issues he has played through most. The ones he has sat out have mostly been from bad luck and from his surgery. You don't get rid of a player that caliber to make your team better. You add depth behind him just in case he is unable to go out there for whatever reason. There's a reason that most playoff teams are the teams who #1 are healthy relative to the rest of the NFL and #2 have the depth behind those players to step up.

I'm starting to think those that say the team should get rid of Jimmy because of injuries are people that think it's easy to find a corner of his caliber when it really isn't (see corners between Rolle's departure after 08 and Webb's high level of play in 2011).

12 games of a healthy Jimmy Smith & 4 games of his backup >>>>  16 games of any other CB on this team

10 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

Dude, you clearly didnt look at the Next Gen stats... it clearly points to him being THE MOST shutdown corner in the league.

Receivers in his coverage had the 2nd lowest catch percentage, and THE lowest yards per catch.

So, what does that mean??

It means that when hes covering a receiver they catch it less often than when against any other CB in the NFL (except 1), and even when they do catch it it's for less yards than when being covered by any other CB in the NFL.

So..... Jimmy is about the best at making sure WR's dont catch the ball, but when they do he only lets them catch short passes. Aka.... he shuts down receivers as well as or better than any other CB in the league.

The injury concern is valid; but trying to say he's not shut down is just wrong.

12 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Dude, you clearly didnt look at the Next Gen stats... it clearly points to him being THE MOST shutdown corner in the league.

Receivers in his coverage had the 2nd lowest catch percentage, and THE lowest yards per catch.

So, what does that mean??

It means that when hes covering a receiver they catch it less often than when against any other CB in the NFL (except 1), and even when they do catch it it's for less yards than when being covered by any other CB in the NFL.

So..... Jimmy is about the best at making sure WR's dont catch the ball, but when they do he only lets them catch short passes. Aka.... he shuts down receivers as well as or better than any other CB in the league.

The injury concern is valid; but trying to say he's not shut down is just wrong.

Dude, I don't need to look at the Next Gen stats to see that there were several CBs better than Jimmy in the league this year. Stats are for losers and mean nothing. How many passes did he defend? He didn't shut down anybody in the games he missed due to the high ankle sprain and a concussion. Someone else said he had back problems. Don't we all? The only person who was shut down in those games was Jimmy. Buckle up your chin strap, son, and stay on the field! Do your job! Oh, that's right! That's the Patriots. Well, how 'bout play like a Raven? How 'bout playing thru an injury like Marshall Yanda did? That's what an All--Pro does. Quit making excuses! BTW, I have the same concern about others on the team who can't seem to stay on the field. It's becoming an epidemic with this team. Maybe that's just bad luck as someone said or maybe we're not drafting physically and mentally tough players like we used to. I saw the play that caused him to miss the critical stretch run. He was injured making a tackle. Its supposed to be the other way around, dude. You kick the guy's butt in front of you or he'll kick yours. Its not a mystery. I just hope Jimmy didn't read the Next Gen Stats 'cause he might start believing he has nothing more to prove. I don't know what games you were watching but Jimmy and the rest of our defenders play way too far off the ball. By doing so, they can compensate for their lack of speed and coverage skills. They rarely were quick enough to jump routes. Jimmy and his mates gave up far too many short passes this year. Yes, we are a better defense with him on the field but the whole team needs to play better. Stay on the field, Jimmy, and show the world what it means to "Play like a Raven." As Adam Jones likes to say, "Show up, Put up and Shut up!" Just DO YOUR JOB!

37 minutes ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

Dude, I don't need to look at the Next Gen stats to see that there were several CBs better than Jimmy in the league this year. Stats are for losers and mean nothing. How many passes did he defend? He didn't shut down anybody in the games he missed due to the high ankle sprain and a concussion. Someone else said he had back problems. Don't we all? The only person who was shut down in those games was Jimmy. Buckle up your chin strap, son, and stay on the field! Do your job! Oh, that's right! That's the Patriots. Well, how 'bout play like a Raven? How 'bout playing thru an injury like Marshall Yanda did? That's what an All--Pro does. Quit making excuses! BTW, I have the same concern about others on the team who can't seem to stay on the field. It's becoming an epidemic with this team. Maybe that's just bad luck as someone said or maybe we're not drafting physically and mentally tough players like we used to. I saw the play that caused him to miss the critical stretch run. He was injured making a tackle. Its supposed to be the other way around, dude. You kick the guy's butt in front of you or he'll kick yours. Its not a mystery. I just hope Jimmy didn't read the Next Gen Stats 'cause he might start believing he has nothing more to prove. I don't know what games you were watching but Jimmy and the rest of our defenders play way too far off the ball. By doing so, they can compensate for their lack of speed and coverage skills. They rarely were quick enough to jump routes. Jimmy and his mates gave up far too many short passes this year. Yes, we are a better defense with him on the field but the whole team needs to play better. Stay on the field, Jimmy, and show the world what it means to "Play like a Raven." As Adam Jones likes to say, "Show up, Put up and Shut up!" Just DO YOUR JOB!

Oh my god, i actually havent laughed this hard since the butt fumble.  You reference Adam Jones.....Adam freakin Jones....are you kidding me.  Thank you

Sidenote - have any good inspirational quotes from Aaron herandez that we could use here?

Edited by usmccharles

10 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

For the first bold part, do you actually think a CB should stay on the field with a high ankle sprain???  Serious question.  Do you also know it's beyond a players control when they are in concussion protocol?  How was he supposed to play through those

For the second bold part, you're probably not going to believe this..........but most defenders get hurt trying to make a tackle minus ligament/muscle tears.  As crazy as it sounds, that's not exclusive to Jimmy Smith

For the 3rd bold part, are you really questioning his coverage skills in a thread that points out, flat out, that only one NFL CB allows a lower completion percentage in coverage?

EDIT:  I also thought you meant Bengals Adam Jones.  My mistake on that

Edited by Purple_City39

9 hours ago, usmccharles said:

.  You reference Adam Jones.....Adam freakin Jones....are you kidding me.  Thank you

Pretty sure he's talking about the Oriole Adam Jones since that's what he says.

11 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

So, you say stats are for losers... and then your next statement is "how many passes did he defend?" 

Those are the stats that are for losers; because whether the CB knocks the ball away or covers his guy so well the QB cant throw it to him or can only throw it to a spot where the WR cant catch it either.... then what's the difference? Both got the job done - the WR couldnt make a play on either.

And "Jimmy gave up far too many short passes..." How so when he gave up the least percentage of catches, period, when his guy was thrown to? He was rarely targeted period... and when he was gave us the 2nd lowest catch percentage. Hmm, the facts tell a far different story than him "giving up too many short catches."

Also, the opposing QBs rating when throwing at Jimmy on short passes was FAR below the league average. The only place where QBs performed even average when throwing at Jimmy was in the very middle range. Short and long passes Jimmy was absolutely dominant.

Thats whats different about these "stats", theyre not really the loser kind where its just how many yards, how many deflections, how many INTs. A CB can have 0 interceptions and 0 passes defended... he mustve had a bad year then, right? What if he also didnt allow a single completion? 

Again, I said yes, the injuries are a concern. BUT he was the most shut down corner in the league when on the field.

And btw, if they didnt switch Yanda to the left he wouldnt have played through it. He couldnt. He physically could not do his job as a RG -- it wasnt about toughness at all. I would guess that if Jimmy could play CB by walking on his hands to avoid having to use his ankle.... he would do it.

A guard having a shoulder injury is just not the same as a CB having an ankle injury. You cant run, cut, change direction on an ankle injury.... its not a matter of toughness, its just a physical limitation just like yanda being able to play on the right side. The difference is, there wasnt an alternative for Jimmy's ankle injury like there was with switching Yanda to the right.

SSS missed games bc of ankle injury. Must not be tough, shouldve just shown up, put up and shut up.

I guess Terrell Davis shouldnt make the HoF. Forget how productive he was when healthy, and how dominant he was in winning multiple Super Bowls... he could only stay healthy for 4 years; so just ignore how great he was on it.

Jimmys proven hes a great CB when on the field. WRs in his coverage do worse than in pretty much any other CBs coverage. That's been the case whenever hes been healthy. Now he just needs to avoid injury.

And btw, he has played through injury. He played through one the entire 2015 season. It's probably why it took him so long to get back to form.... and might be why it keeps getting re-injured. Toughness is great and all, which is what youre suggesting... the funny thing is it probably also contributes to him continuing to have ankle problems - which you're then also knocking him for.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

So, you say stats are for losers... and then your next statement is "how many passes did he defend?" 

Those are the stats that are for losers; because whether the CB knocks the ball away or covers his guy so well the QB cant throw it to him or can only throw it to a spot where the WR cant catch it either.... then what's the difference? Both got the job done - the WR couldnt make a play on either.

And "Jimmy gave up far too many short passes..." How so when he gave up the least percentage of catches, period, when his guy was thrown to? He was rarely targeted period... and when he was gave us the 2nd lowest catch percentage. Hmm, the facts tell a far different story than him "giving up too many short catches."

I don't understand the Jimmy haters/critics. With him gone you would think that they would have learned their lesson but no, let's cut him and not know who to replace him with. If I were Ozzie I would proudly give him that contract because he's completely worth it. He's for sure our most valuable player on defense.

4 hours ago, Purple_City39 said:

For the first bold part, do you actually think a CB should stay on the field with a high ankle sprain???  Serious question.  Do you also know it's beyond a players control when they are in concussion protocol?  How was he supposed to play through those

For the second bold part, you're probably not going to believe this..........but most defenders get hurt trying to make a tackle minus ligament/muscle tears.  As crazy as it sounds, that's not exclusive to Jimmy Smith

For the 3rd bold part, are you really questioning his coverage skills in a thread that points out, flat out, that only one NFL CB allows a lower completion percentage in coverage?

EDIT:  I also thought you meant Bengals Adam Jones.  My mistake on that

2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Also, the opposing QBs rating when throwing at Jimmy on short passes was FAR below the league average. The only place where QBs performed even average when throwing at Jimmy was in the very middle range. Short and long passes Jimmy was absolutely dominant.

Thats whats different about these "stats", theyre not really the loser kind where its just how many yards, how many deflections, how many INTs. A CB can have 0 interceptions and 0 passes defended... he mustve had a bad year then, right? What if he also didnt allow a single completion? 

2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Again, I said yes, the injuries are a concern. BUT he was the most shut down corner in the league when on the field.

And btw, if they didnt switch Yanda to the left he wouldnt have played through it. He couldnt. He physically could not do his job as a RG -- it wasnt about toughness at all. I would guess that if Jimmy could play CB by walking on his hands to avoid having to use his ankle.... he would do it.

A guard having a shoulder injury is just not the same as a CB having an ankle injury. You cant run, cut, change direction on an ankle injury.... its not a matter of toughness, its just a physical limitation just like yanda being able to play on the right side. The difference is, there wasnt an alternative for Jimmy's ankle injury like there was with switching Yanda to the right.

SSS missed games bc of ankle injury. Must not be tough, shouldve just shown up, put up and shut up.

I guess Terrell Davis shouldnt make the HoF. Forget how productive he was when healthy, and how dominant he was in winning multiple Super Bowls... he could only stay healthy for 4 years; so just ignore how great he was on it.

Jimmys proven hes a great CB when on the field. WRs in his coverage do worse than in pretty much any other CBs coverage. That's been the case whenever hes been healthy. Now he just needs to avoid injury.

And btw, he has played through injury. He played through one the entire 2015 season. It's probably why it took him so long to get back to form.... and might be why it keeps getting re-injured. Toughness is great and all, which is what youre suggesting... the funny thing is it probably also contributes to him continuing to have ankle problems - which you're then also knocking him for.

Sorry, but I'll wait 'til the movie comes out. 

Suffice it to say, a rookie named Jalen Ramsey and 8 other CBs were rated better than Jimmy, according to your highly touted Next Gen Stats.com. As a footnote, the website explained that the rating was based only on the top corner from each team. So, it discounted the possibility that some other more reliable, "stay on the field" type CBs may have been left off the list. I wonder if the rating awards any points for durability? I'm not among the Jimmy critics who want him traded. I jest want him to stay on the field. Someone on the blog posted that Jimmy has missed 22 games in 6  seasons. Here's a stat for U: That's ~25% of the games during that span. That's why he hasn't gotten the big payday; that's why he doesn't go the Pro Bowl and that's why he will not ever be in the HOF like Deion Sanders is. Jimmy's a good CB when he's healthy and he is by far our best CB but that's not saying much. He always plays right CB. There are other corners who are more versatile and can play different roles as needed. That's what separates Jimmy from some of the best CBs in the league. The Patriots and the Seahawks teams are famous for the versatility of their defenders. Again, suffice it to say, Jimmy has a good reputation but anybody who has played in organized sports knows you can't play on your reputation. He should get an incentive contract next year and his 1st incentive should be --- to play in 16 games.

SSS came back after his ankle injury and played thru the pain of that after coming back from an Achilles tear. Humm! Elvis Dumerville had an Achilles tear and played thru it. BTW, R U Jimmy's agent? If so, tell him the truth, which is he is not a Top 5 CB yet! That being said, I hope 2017 is his year! I hope he proves all the Jimmy critics and doubters wrong. Quite frankly, I think a big part of Jimmy's problem is analogous to a problem Joe Flacco has but I'll leave that for another post later.

Editor's Note: Yeah, Adam Jones is a baseball player for the Baltimore Orioles. I would never quote anything from Adam 'Pacman' Jones.

58 minutes ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

Suffice it to say, a rookie named Jalen Ramsey and 8 other CBs were rated better than Jimmy, according to your highly touted Next Gen Stats.com. As a footnote, the website explained that the rating was based only on the top corner from each team. So, it discounted the possibility that some other more reliable, "stay on the field" type CBs may have been left off the list. I wonder if the rating awards any points for durability? I'm not among the Jimmy critics who want him traded. I jest want him to stay on the field. Someone on the blog posted that Jimmy has missed 22 games in 6  seasons. Here's a stat for U: That's ~25% of the games during that span. That's why he hasn't gotten the big payday; that's why he doesn't go the Pro Bowl and that's why he will not ever be in the HOF like Deion Sanders is. Jimmy's a good CB when he's healthy and he is by far our best CB but that's not saying much. He always plays right CB. There are other corners who are more versatile and can play different roles as needed. That's what separates Jimmy from some of the best CBs in the league. The Patriots and the Seahawks teams are famous for the versatility of their defenders. Again, suffice it to say, Jimmy has a good reputation but anybody who has played in organized sports knows you can't play on your reputation. He should get an incentive contract next year and his 1st incentive should be --- to play in 16 games.

SSS came back after his ankle injury and played thru the pain of that after coming back from an Achilles tear. Humm! Elvis Dumerville had an Achilles tear and played thru it. BTW, R U Jimmy's agent? If so, tell him the truth, which is he is not a Top 5 CB yet! That being said, I hope 2017 is his year! I hope he proves all the Jimmy critics and doubters wrong. Quite frankly, I think a big part of Jimmy's problem is analogous to a problem Joe Flacco has but I'll leave that for another post later.

Editor's Note: Yeah, Adam Jones is a baseball player for the Baltimore Orioles. I would never quote anything from Adam 'Pacman' Jones.

Um, first Jimmy already got a big payday.  Not sure why you think he hasn't, and he won't be getting an incentive laden contract next year.  Probowl means little since they've become popularity contest.  How long before Ngata finally got voted to one?  Brandon Williams?  Weddle was rated best safety in the game and he was an alternate.

Second, I'm wondering how deeply you watch these games.  Jimmy can definitely play both sides (his first two years were primarily at the LCB position) so I don't know why his versatility is in question.  He's also shadowed multiple WRs all game long no matter where they went.  The coaching staff choosing to have him focus on a side doesn't diminish his skill just like it doesn't for Sherman and Norman, who also primarily play one side.  Remember Samari Rolle?  He never left the defensive right side either regardless of whether Frank Walker or Fabian Washington was lined up opposite him.  That's a coaching decision, not player

Last, Steve Smith missed 4 games (5 weeks including the bye) after his ankle injury yet you're praising him yet blasting Jimmy for missing 4 games after an ankle injury 

3 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

No, their NextGen stats didnt rank 8 CBs ahead of Jimmy.

They simply made a Top 10 list of #1 CBs who produced the lowest opposing QB rating when thrown at. Which is a somewhat arbitrary way of determining how good a CB is doing...

A CBs job is to prevent the WR from producing. Shutting him down. Sure help tackle ball carriers and all that jazz.... but primarily their one job is to prevent the receiver theyre covering from catching the ball, and if he does catch it to limit how many yards he gains.

ONCE AGAIN. Jimmy was #2 in catch % and #1 in YPC. Put those two things together and what do you get? Receivers in Jimmy's coverage caught less often and for less yardage than when in any other #1 CB's coverage.

Idc about what any other arbitrary stats say. That tells me hes in the convo for best CB period... if not best flat out. And even if we accepted the #8 ranking, so what? That means there's 7 guys better. So... you want to cut Jimmy and somehow grab 2 of the CB's ahead of him???

Youre losing this one. The Seahawks CBs play on one side of the field in mainly zone. Jimmy mixes up man and zone while staying on one side.... and he completely shuts his side down. Which i could very well argue is actually more important than following the #1 receiver bc shutting down one side allows you to shade your safeties to the other and double team the other receivers in a much smaller space. If youre following the #1 guy, they can motion him around to create spaces elsewhere and your safeties still ahve to defend the whole field.

Yes, SSS came back from his minor ankle injury this year. Jimmy came back too. And Doom played through a minor achilles tear.... which then forced him to get surgery in the offseason which then took almost twice as long as expected to recover from bc he played on the injury when he shouldnt have.

You're promoting it like its a good thing, but then it leads to them missing more and more time... which is what youre complaining about with Jimmy.

So what is it? Do you want Jimmy to play through the ankle like Doom, and then have to miss the entire next season like Doom too? Or do you want him to get it right so he can play next year?

Bc if Jimmy had played on the ankle and then required surgery which makes him miss all of 2017 you'd be calling him injury prone and worthless til he gets on the field. Yet you're praising Doom for doing it? 

PS - Jimmy did get a big contract already. idk where you were.

On January 31, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Purple_City39 said:

And a bad knee and back. That's the definition of injury prone lol

when he wasn't injured this d was top 3 but without him this d is just prity good. That's what really sucks about this situation.

6 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

No, their NextGen stats didnt rank 8 CBs ahead of Jimmy.

They simply made a Top 10 list of #1 CBs who produced the lowest opposing QB rating when thrown at. Which is a somewhat arbitrary way of determining how good a CB is doing...

A CBs job is to prevent the WR from producing. Shutting him down. Sure help tackle ball carriers and all that jazz.... but primarily their one job is to prevent the receiver theyre covering from catching the ball, and if he does catch it to limit how many yards he gains.

ONCE AGAIN. Jimmy was #2 in catch % and #1 in YPC. Put those two things together and what do you get? Receivers in Jimmy's coverage caught less often and for less yardage than when in any other #1 CB's coverage.

Idc about what any other arbitrary stats say. That tells me hes in the convo for best CB period... if not best flat out. And even if we accepted the #8 ranking, so what? That means there's 7 guys better. So... you want to cut Jimmy and somehow grab 2 of the CB's ahead of him???

Youre losing this one. The Seahawks CBs play on one side of the field in mainly zone. Jimmy mixes up man and zone while staying on one side.... and he completely shuts his side down. Which i could very well argue is actually more important than following the #1 receiver bc shutting down one side allows you to shade your safeties to the other and double team the other receivers in a much smaller space. If youre following the #1 guy, they can motion him around to create spaces elsewhere and your safeties still ahve to defend the whole field.

Yes, SSS came back from his minor ankle injury this year. Jimmy came back too. And Doom played through a minor achilles tear.... which then forced him to get surgery in the offseason which then took almost twice as long as expected to recover from bc he played on the injury when he shouldnt have.

You're promoting it like its a good thing, but then it leads to them missing more and more time... which is what youre complaining about with Jimmy.

So what is it? Do you want Jimmy to play through the ankle like Doom, and then have to miss the entire next season like Doom too? Or do you want him to get it right so he can play next year?

Bc if Jimmy had played on the ankle and then required surgery which makes him miss all of 2017 you'd be calling him injury prone and worthless til he gets on the field. Yet you're praising Doom for doing it? 

PS - Jimmy did get a big contract already. idk where you were.

So, where did he rank in interceptions among the league's best CBs? I know how he ranked on our team. He ranked behind Tavon Young, Jerraud Powers and Will Davis. They combined for 5 pics and Jimmy had 0, while our team tied for the league lead in interceptions.  Thanks so much for your professorial explanation of what a CBs job is but you neglected to mention that shutdown corners also have a knack at intercepting passes. I'm sure your explanation for that will be its b/c the opposing QBs just don't throw in his direction that often and that is part of it. However, it also has to do with the gross amount of real estate that he yields to the opponents' #1 WRs. He usually plays way off the #1 WR so that he doesn't give up the home run sort of play but he gives up a lot of short gains on obvious passing downs that move the chains. He rarely, if ever, jumps routes b/c he's afraid of getting burned.

So, who said anything about cutting him? We have too much invested in him to get rid of him. I'd just like to see him stay healthy and play a whole season. I'd also like to see him demonstrate his "shutdown corner" technique on a more consistent basis. After all, he's a Top 5 CB according to some of you.

In his defense, I do believe he has the same problem as Joe Flacco. Because he hasn't had much of a supporting cast in the secondary since the Super Bowl run, he probably feels like he has to "carry" the defense on his back and do it all by himself. I just don't see him being out there alone on an island like Derrell Revis was in his prime. It looks like he's had to have a lot of deep help from the safeties this year. 

3 minutes ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

So, where did he rank in interceptions among the league's best CBs? I know how he ranked on our team. He ranked behind Tavon Young, Jerraud Powers and Will Davis. They combined for 5 pics and Jimmy had 0, while our team tied for the league lead in interceptions.  Thanks so much for your professorial explanation of what a CBs job is but you neglected to mention that shutdown corners also have a knack at intercepting passes. I'm sure your explanation for that will be its b/c the opposing QBs just don't throw in his direction that often and that is part of it. However, it also has to do with the gross amount of real estate that he yields to the opponents' #1 WRs. He usually plays way off the #1 WR so that he doesn't give up the home run sort of play but he gives up a lot of short gains on obvious passing downs that move the chains. He rarely, if ever, jumps routes b/c he's afraid of getting burned.

So, who said anything about cutting him? We have too much invested in him to get rid of him. I'd just like to see him stay healthy and play a whole season. I'd also like to see him demonstrate his "shutdown corner" technique on a more consistent basis. After all, he's a Top 5 CB according to some of you.

In his defense, I do believe he has the same problem as Joe Flacco. Because he hasn't had much of a supporting cast in the secondary since the Super Bowl run, he probably feels like he has to "carry" the defense on his back and do it all by himself. I just don't see him being out there alone on an island like Derrell Revis was in his prime. It looks like he's had to have a lot of deep help from the safeties this year. 

A CB cant get interceptions if the WR is covered...and the qb doesnt even throw the ball his way....

I stopped reading after that sentence, pretty sure that was a good idea

20 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

I'm sure your explanation for that will be its b/c the opposing QBs just don't throw in his direction that often and that is part of it. However, it also has to do with the gross amount of real estate that he yields to the opponents' #1 WRs. He usually plays way off the #1 WR so that he doesn't give up the home run sort of play but he gives up a lot of short gains on obvious passing downs that move the chains. He rarely, if ever, jumps routes b/c he's afraid of getting burned.

I thoroughly question if you even watch the Ravens... Jimmy and Wright actually pressed far more often than they didn't.

On 2/4/2017 at 1:06 AM, usmccharles said:

A CB cant get interceptions if the WR is covered...and the qb doesnt even throw the ball his way....

I stopped reading after that sentence, pretty sure that was a good idea

The Jimmy trolls are hilarious. 

Bottom-Line is this, we're not winning a SB without Jimmy Smith, not if he's hurt and especially if we cut him. I personally think we would've beaten NE back in 2015 Divisional and this isn't a slight at that team, many people who knows Jimmy Smith agree with that statement, not only would we could have won, but I think we would have thrashed the Colts en-route to what could have been our 3rd SB victory. Now that's a complete hypothetical but one that's very possible given the insane year the guy was having. 

Edited by PurpleCity5

On 2/4/2017 at 1:01 AM, frozen joe flacco fan said:

It's just becoming more clear you don't even watch Jimmy play so this debate is pointless. 

You say states are pointless and then in 2 successive posts ask me how many passes defended and then how many interceptions?? Lol. 

And that he gives up a big cushion and therefore too many short easy completions... that's just factually incorrect. Not even an opinion it's just flat out wrong. 

Know what can help a team get a lot of interceptions? One CB shutting down an entire side of the field and often taking away the QBs #1 option so that he has to throw late into really crowded double teams. 

Jimmy often cuts the field in half and allows the safeties and LBs to shade help everywhere else. Look back at how many INTs we had that were easy. QBs throwing late to crowded bad spots on the field. Jimmy has something to do with that. 

And Jimmy has dropped a few INTs he should have. Yea I'd like him to get more. But it's not bc he isn't in position or can't jump routes or gives too much cushion. 

Hes rarely thrown at. When he is it's for very short yardage (hard to jump a pass when you're just getting into your back pedal and prob easier if you did give some cushion) or the ball is thrown to a spot where neither the WR or CB can get it bc his coverage is so good. 

Even with that he had his fair share that he's dropped. 2-3 come to mind right away. And yes, he should get those. 

But that doesn't make him any less lock down. 

Every day of the week I'll take a guy who gives nothing up but doesn't make any INTs over a guy who gives up big plays and grabs 4 INTs. 

Youre just grasping at straws now... you blasted stats at first saying they're for losers and now have tried to argue two of the most meaningless ones for evaluating coverage ability. 

Jimmy had a lot of help from deep Safeties this year?!? What???? 

Jimmy Smith is #22 in the purple and black uniform. You sure that's who you're talking about?

I personally stopped looking at INTs as a major indicator of performance when Nnamdi Asomugha was shutting down receivers during his Pro-Bowl and All-Pro stretch averaging just one interception per season. Truth be told, I think a combination of stats is more telling, i.e. QB rating allowed, opponent's completion percentage, etc. Although tape essentially supercedes all as those numbers can be benefitted from missed throws. But of all of the potentially indicative stats for CBs, interceptions can go either way. Kyle Arrington led the league one year in INTs and gave up 1,000+ yards in the process.

20 minutes ago, -Truth- said:

I personally stopped looking at INTs as a major indicator of performance when Nnamdi Asomugha was shutting down receivers during his Pro-Bowl and All-Pro stretch averaging just one interception per season. Truth be told, I think a combination of stats is more telling, i.e. QB rating allowed, opponent's completion percentage, etc. Although tape essentially supercedes all as those numbers can be benefitted from missed throws. But of all of the potentially indicative stats for CBs, interceptions can go either way. Kyle Arrington led the league one year in INTs and gave up 1,000+ yards in the process.

Truth.