• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Jimmy Smith getting props from NFL.com's Next Gen Stats

72 posts in this topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000775730/article/xavier-rhodes-leads-top10-no-1-cornberbacks

The ranking is just the Top 10 #1 Corners in terms of passer rating allowing when in coverage, but the write up on Jimmy points out a few key stats. 

The 45% catch rate of receivers in his coverage was 2nd lowest in the league, and the just over 9 yds per reception in his coverage was THE lowest. 

Also, in looking at the team passer rating chart... you see just how dominant our right side coverage (defensive) was.... where Jimmy mostly lined up. 

Nice to see someone outside Baltimore taking notice of Jimmy's dominance, and diving deeper than just INT's and break ups to show statistically how great he's been. 

Also nice to have that validation and some concrete numbers to throw at fans of other teams when I argue with them that Jimmy definitely is a Top 5-10 CB in the NFL... and they disagree just because they haven't heard of him. 

so essentially the talking heads needed to dive deep and create a new line of stats to note that jimmy smith is formidable, and really these stats shouldve been around for a long time because they are the only true indicators that a corner is good in coverage, but this is what it takes?

sad thing is, half of our fanbase is still gonna call him a bust for some ridiculous unknown reason.

Not sure if I've read anything questioning Jimmy's abilities in coverage. But stating the obvious, you can't cover anyone standing on the sideline in street clothes. 

8 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

so essentially the talking heads needed to dive deep and create a new line of stats to note that jimmy smith is formidable, and really these stats shouldve been around for a long time because they are the only true indicators that a corner is good in coverage, but this is what it takes?

sad thing is, half of our fanbase is still gonna call him a bust for some ridiculous unknown reason.

Yep, but then praise Rashard Melvin

9 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

Not sure if I've read anything questioning Jimmy's abilities in coverage. But stating the obvious, you can't cover anyone standing on the sideline in street clothes. 

It's a fair point for sure. He hasn't been as healthy as any of us would like. 

But... while most who know the game will recognize Jimmy as a very good #1, he is not recognized even largely by our own fan base for how good he is. 

When on the field he has consistently been a Top 5 CB. 

Hes avoided regularly... and when tested receivers catch passes at a near League worst rate for THE least amount of yards. 

Basically receivers in Jimmys coverage are the least productive in the NFL compared to pretty much every other CB. 

Ultimately that's the corners job - to not allow his receiver to produce. It's not about INTs (though they're nice), and you don't have to tip the pass away -- if your guy isn't catching the ball, and when he does it's for minimal gains then that's all that matters. 

This shows Jimmy is on par with, if not better than, the Peterson's, Sherman's, Talib's, Peters', Norman's, etc... of the world. 

Not that he or I need the validation... but for all the attention and fanfare those guys get Jimmy Smith is CRIMINALLY underrated both nationally and by many in this fan base. 

Dude is elite. Top 3-5 CB in the NFL and at least work is being done now to illuminate that fact. 

6 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

It's a fair point for sure. He hasn't been as healthy as any of us would like. 

But... while most who know the game will recognize Jimmy as a very good #1, he is not recognized even largely by our own fan base for how good he is. 

When on the field he has consistently been a Top 5 CB. 

Hes avoided regularly... and when tested receivers catch passes at a near League worst rate for THE least amount of yards. 

Basically receivers in Jimmys coverage are the least productive in the NFL compared to pretty much every other CB. 

Ultimately that's the corners job - to not allow his receiver to produce. It's not about INTs (though they're nice), and you don't have to tip the pass away -- if your guy isn't catching the ball, and when he does it's for minimal gains then that's all that matters. 

This shows Jimmy is on par with, if not better than, the Peterson's, Sherman's, Talib's, Peters', Norman's, etc... of the world. 

Not that he or I need the validation... but for all the attention and fanfare those guys get Jimmy Smith is CRIMINALLY underrated both nationally and by many in this fan base. 

Dude is elite. Top 3-5 CB in the NFL and at least work is being done now to illuminate that fact. 

i will say without question that i think jimmy smith a better cover guy than any of them, i think ive seen each of those guys get toasted in very limited watches(ill watch maybe 3 or 4 games from them per season) more than i see from jimmy in all of his games. ive seen sherman get beaten deep many many times, i dont see talib get beat very much at all but his utter ignorance separates them, norman is pretty scheme locked but he doesnt get beaten much, peters is a feast-or-famine guy who loses far more than jimmy, peterson is an exceptional athlete but he gets beaten by the elite route runners whereas jimmy shuts down AB almost every time he plays him.  

i honestly feel like if jimmy smith was given 3 fully healthy seasons where he wasnt rehabbing all year and playing out of shape, he would be the best cover corner in the league during that span. he would have the lowest target, completion, YPA, and passer rating-against numbers league wide, he does it year after year while playing at far less than 100%. its really a shame he cant stay healthy.

Of course the flip side of that is games played divided by salary. If you use that, he's the highest paid corner in the league, by a pretty wide margin. 

2 minutes ago, terrynjulia03 said:

Of course the flip side of that is games played divided by salary. If you use that, he's the highest paid corner in the league, by a pretty wide margin. 

At least he played like the highest paid CB in the league when on the field. 

If we get him for full healthy seasons going forward the contract will be a steal in comparison to what guys are getting now.

His value was never more apparent than this year where when on the field we had the leagues best pass defense without a consistent pass rush. When not on the field we struggled to be average. 

He literally shuts down his entire side of the field and allows the safeties to focus their help to the other side. 

I know everyone loves to glorify the CB's that follow the #1 WR around... but you could argue a guy like Jimmy shutting down one side is more valuable. It allows the defense to dictate what they want to do. Whereas even if your top CB is doing well shadowing the WR1, the offense can move him around the formation to create matchups and space elsewhere. 

Man if Jimmy stays healthy and we can find a legit starter to pair with him on the other side... and be able to keep Tavon in the slot where I think he's best - our secondary is lock down. 

Oh no doubt. I just don't think we'll ever get a full season out of Jimmy. I think we'll draft another CB in the first couple rounds to put on the other side and put Young in the slot. At least that way games Jimmy misses well have someone that can at least cover. Lol. Here's to hoping he can pull it together. 

Still has some of the best hip fluidity that I've seen in the NFL today.  But like others have stated, he's the president of Club Med.

Edited by Bltravens

I never understood when I'd see post talking about how Jimmy gets beat often, or even at all really.  I can't remember the last time he gave up even 40 yards in man coverage and I'm pretty sure the only TD he allowed all season was in zone coverage against Cleveland.  Jimmy Smith, when healthy, has easily been a top 3 cover corner since about 2013.  Doesn't matter who it's been against, whether A.Brown or C.Johnson, he shuts them all down except the occasional play by AJ Green.

The only real complaint that should ever be lobbed at him is staying healthy.  Even he seems frustrated by that if you saw his body language after his last injury

Most of Jimmy's injuries were extremely and outright bad luck; that was just unfortunate for him....

I believe bad luck will go away and Jimmy will be back to healthy full season.....

PS: He is top 5 CB in the league and #1 most important defensive player when on the field....

Jimmy is probably my favorite raven on defense. He has caught a lot of bad breaks. Many of his most recent injuries have all come from being around the pile or his aggressive style of tackling. 

He broke out in 13' and looked like an all-pro in 14' until that injury. Most of 15' he was getting back into football shape. 

When healthy he is the total package CB. Great in coverage, high IQ, decent ball skills, aggressive, sound tackler. 

We need to get him another partner in the secondary. My fingers are crossed for Lattimore or Jones. 

Hes a great corner when on the field, but missing 22 games in 6 years is never good.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and we draft a corner in the first or second round. 

4 hours ago, usmccharles said:

Hes a great corner when on the field, but missing 22 games in 6 years is never good.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and we draft a corner in the first or second round. 

22 games missed over 102 games does sound like a few too many, but keep in mind that he didn't become a full time starter until 2013. In 2011/2012 he only started in 5 games of the 23 he played although, I can't seem to remember if any of the games missed over the 11'/12' seasons were due to injury or not.

8 minutes ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

22 games missed over 102 games does sound like a few too many, but keep in mind that he didn't become a full time starter until 2013. In 2011/2012 he only started in 5 games of the 23 he played although, I can't seem to remember if any of the games missed over the 11'/12' seasons were due to injury or not.

In both seasons, yes. 

High ankle sprain to start '11 and spoets hernia in '12.

2 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

In both seasons, yes. 

High ankle sprain to start '11 and spoets hernia in '12.

Thanks bud. I thought he came into his first season injured but I wasn't certain.

16 minutes ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

Good points, i wasnt aware of that.  According to the link below it shows a career of 78 games, so out of the 102 games he has been here for, does that mean he has only started those 74 games?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitJi03.htm

I'd remove Webb from the equation and translate Jimmy to safety with Weddle. He would serve nicely if we take a couple of Corners and an egder. If we think outside the box, a lot of depth at key positions may already be on the Roster. Carrera is being underutilized as well. I'd find a way to shoot the gap with him and I see Hybrid (punisher) if his heads and theirs are into it. I also that they need to eat a lot of dead money. So I'd be in favor of parting with 1/2 now 1/2 next year. I'd take the hit now with the high priced vets and save Jimmy for along term role under new management via position. He seems a little brittle for corner @ his ankles/feet. 

15 minutes ago, thieverycorporation said:

I'd remove Webb from the equation and translate Jimmy to safety with Weddle. He would serve nicely if we take a couple of Corners and an egder. If we think outside the box, a lot of depth at key positions may already be on the Roster. Carrera is being underutilized as well. I'd find a way to shoot the gap with him and I see Hybrid (punisher) if his heads and theirs are into it. I also that they need to eat a lot of dead money. So I'd be in favor of parting with 1/2 now 1/2 next year. I'd take the hit now with the high priced vets and save Jimmy for along term role under new management via position. He seems a little brittle for corner @ his ankles/feet. 

Jimmy was just listed as a top 10 shutdown corner in the NFL. You shouldn't consider wasting his talent by moving him to safety. 

28 minutes ago, thieverycorporation said:

What does this change once Jimmy gets hurt, now we have no Webb and a hurt safety and most likely no CB on the roster that is close to Jimmy's talent, makes zero sense. 

Also, the reason KC is most likely being underutilized is perhaps hes just not that good.  Needs more time to develop

What new management?

What sense does it make to sit here and just say eat some dead money and cut people without mentioning anyone other than Webb? 

The dude can ball. And doesn't make big mistakes, he's probably Pees favorite guy on defense, but he has missed a lot of time on the field. There's just no sugar coating that. 

He's not as bad as Jamal Charles or Sean Lee with missing time but he still misses a lot of games. Why wouldn't you expect him to be overlooked throughout the league. Showing up in half of the job.

1 hour ago, CalvinSmoke said:

The dude can ball. And doesn't make big mistakes, he's probably Pees favorite guy on defense, but he has missed a lot of time on the field. There's just no sugar coating that. 

He's not as bad as Jamal Charles or Sean Lee with missing time but he still misses a lot of games. Why wouldn't you expect him to be overlooked throughout the league. Showing up in half of the job.

Like Herm Edwards also says, best ability is availability. 

Side-note: Want to watch the draft again at Dirty Birds?

21 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Like Herm Edwards also says, best ability is availability. 

Side-note: Want to watch the draft again at Dirty Birds?

I'm down man! I don't work nights anymore so I can stick it out!

9 minutes ago, CalvinSmoke said:

I'm down man! I don't work nights anymore so I can stick it out!

Game. 

2 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah as really it is about being franchise and being able to be there for the longest of time!

Can someone translate this for me?

5 hours ago, thieverycorporation said:

Terrible idea. I get the impression you're trolling. 

Jimmys one of the best CB's in the league.  a stud corner is more valuable and imo more difficult to find enough of them... not to mention you're probably weakening 2 positions by that move. Jimmy's skill set doesn't really translate to being a stud FS. 

And the guys name is Correa. Might want to learn his name if you want to be taken seriously. 

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Might want to learn his name if you want to be taken seriously. 

Pretty sure that was gone 850 posts ago