rmw10

LB Zach Orr retires due to serious injury

100 posts in this topic

Terrible, but from what I know of him, he's got some sort of a future in coaching if that's where he wants to go from here. Super smart guy and you obviously don't make it as an UDFA unless you're willing to work harder than everyone else.

Edited by hn68wb4

I feel so sad for Zach Orr. I hope he realizes that Ravens fans appreciate all he has done for the organization. I wish him good luck in all endeavors he decides to pursue. Zach you will be missed.

My heart aches for Zachary Orr man! Stand up man, stand up player, just an awesome all around young man! But, the glass is always half full Zack! This next part of your life with your passion and work ethic will prove even more successful I assure you. God Bless you and your family! Stay strong and thank God for the early diagnosis.

I'm alright with Orr wanting to retire. So much more in life that's important than football. Quality of life and your family being right at the top.

Im more upset that there are reports that the Ravens tried to talk him out of it. That is just pure selfishness and it makes me sick that the Ravens organization would try to do that, if true.

12 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

I'm alright with Orr wanting to retire. So much more in life that's important than football. Quality of life and your family being right at the top.

Im more upset that there are reports that the Ravens tried to talk him out of it. That is just pure selfishness and it makes me sick that the Ravens organization would try to do that, if true.

They didn't try to talk him out of it

30 minutes ago, ellicottraven said:

My heart aches for Zachary Orr man! Stand up man, stand up player, just an awesome all around young man! But, the glass is always half full Zack! This next part of your life with your passion and work ethic will prove even more successful I assure you. God Bless you and your family! Stay strong and thank God for the early diagnosis.

8 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

Wish you the best Orr, thanks for being an awesome player and person. 

Who in their right mind negged these 2 posts!? (I boosted them back up with a positive) 

36 minutes ago, VermontRaven said:

Who in their right mind negged these 2 posts!? (I boosted them back up with a positive) 

No one.

49 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

It's not true, kind of hard to talk someone out of retiring when they literally can't pass a physical to play in the first place. His condition is such that there was no choice in the matter. I don't know why whoever it was phrased their tweet the way that they did, but there's simply no truth to saying the FO tried to talk him out of anything.

5 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

It's not true, kind of hard to talk someone out of retiring when they literally can't pass a physical to play in the first place. His condition is such that there was no choice in the matter. I don't know why whoever it was phrased their tweet the way that they did, but there's simply no truth to saying the FO tried to talk him out of anything.

It was Rapoport, about the only thing he got right was that Orr is retiring, everything else was wrong.

Good to get out while you still have good health. Pretty miraculous he was never paralyzed after playing all these years with this condition.

Seriously hope he ends up with a future in the game even if he can't play. Maybe Harbaugh can sort him out with an assistant job of some sort? 

4 minutes ago, mc_red23 said:

Seriously hope he ends up with a future in the game even if he can't play. Maybe Harbaugh can sort him out with an assistant job of some sort? 

Harbaugh loves to over hire for assistants so that's definitely a possibility. 

Zac, my heart breaks for you at the news, but at the same time I am also rejoicing for you in your good fortune of having caught this early enough to prevent devastating consequences to your quality of life.  Having dealt with a similar spinal stenosis issue, I can truly say that you are most fortunate to have lived your dream and are able to walk away by choice.  You are truly a blessed young man, and just remember that when one door is closed another will open and that he always has a better purpose for you!  Godspeed Zac!

6 hours ago, GrimCoconut said:

Crazy to say but I bet he's thankful for that injury against the Eagles/Steelers because it may have saved his life or the quality of it. 

Truly a blessing in disguise. 

Just saw it was a C1 vertebra. Not a bone to mess with. That's the top of the spinal cord and the smallest of the bones in the spine. Breaking that and damaging the spinal cord at that point would cause near total paralysis. Really glad this was found out.

felt bad for this guy, and its a huge loss for the ravens too, having to nice LB tandems anchoring the D was huge for us next season with cj and orr, and orr surprised a lot of ppl including me on how well he played, but now we have to find someone in UDFA or FA, maybe coreaa or onwuasor can step it up, who knows, i know one thing, this changes ravens draft board for sure.

This ones tough. I didn't even know until I turned on the website and seen the article. All I know is I wish Orr the best and I'm glad this was discovered before something serious happened. At 24 lifestyle is more important than anything.

WAY lame.

I feel terrible for the guy.  The worst part is there really is no " if's, and's or but's " about it.  You MUST stop playing immediately. 

I love his attitude.  If he is feeling sorry for himself ( which would be understandable ) he sure isn't showing it. 
Hopefully he will be a Raven forever. It seems the team is pretty eager to find a home for him here. 

9 hours ago, hn68wb4 said:

Terrible, but from what I know of him, he's got some sort of a future in coaching if that's where he wants to go from here. Super smart guy and you obviously don't make it as an UDFA unless you're willing to work harder than everyone else.

Even if he doesn't have the title to be a coach, I'd love to have him here in some staffing capacity.   Jobs a job.  Would love to see him get some opportunity if he has the talent to coach/teach.

38 minutes ago, Ravenseconbeast said:

Even if he doesn't have the title to be a coach, I'd love to have him here in some staffing capacity.   Jobs a job.  Would love to see him get some opportunity if he has the talent to coach/teach.

He has only 3 years of experience under his belt... Likely not enough for him to coach. Sure would love to see him in the building somehow though. 

This sucks. He played amazing last season, even better than CJ. He was the perfect compliment to CJ. While CJ is your typical middle linebacker, Orr was the smaller speedy one that could cover backs and TEs well. (Think Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis). 

Anyways, being optimistic, can you imagine if Correa turns out to be a legit starting ILB? I think he's a lost cause at pass rusher, but there were reports he was looking good at ILB during camp. If he does pan out, imagine our 2016 draft class: starting franchise LT- Stanley, starting ILB- Correa, legit starting slot corner -Young, starting NT- Pierce, a potentially really good pass rusher- Judon , future top 10 RB- Dixon, and if Henry, Kafusi, and Canaday pan out...wow. 

3 hours ago, Ravenseconbeast said:

I'd imagine his next step will be to go join his brother in coaching his former high school team, that's probably where I'd go unless he's offered an assistant gig here in Baltimore or maybe at Texas State.

2 hours ago, hn68wb4 said:

I'd imagine his next step will be to go join his brother in coaching his former high school team, that's probably where I'd go unless he's offered an assistant gig here in Baltimore or maybe at Texas State.

No doubt the Ravens will offer him something within the organization. That's just how Steve rolls. But there's no way to know what Orr's aspirations will be at this point.