rmw10

LB Zach Orr retires due to serious injury

100 posts in this topic

This is sad man.. I would rather sign a vet ILB than draft one.. we should draft an OLB ... in Ozzie we trust fam

3 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

He won't sniff outside of the top 10.

Stranger things have happened.

10 minutes ago, redlobster said:

Yikes, Looks like the Reuben Foster train just added another passenger.

Doubt it 

5 minutes ago, redlobster said:

Stranger things have happened.

I can't make a 100% guarantee or anything, but at this point, I'm like 99.9% sure. Best linebacking prospect since Kuechly.

At least he didnt keep playing and develop something even more serious. I only wish he got to cash out, he deserved it. 

Sucks to see him forced to retire, was turning into a really good player. Now we have another hole to fill unless they think Correa can step in(we can hope). Then there's may be another bad part which is we draft Peppers with our first pick and use him like Deone Bucannon and that just has disaster written all over it imo.   

Only 24 with so much more he was gonna improve on throughout the years. We just can't catch a break.

Wow congenital neck/spine condition that's unfortunate for Zach Orr.  After a breakout season too. 

I missed most him speaking at the presser. 

Im just in shock because when or how did this come about. 

More of a career-ending injury than walking away in case of injury like Borland.

Top of his spinal column was not fully formed - a genetic defect. Something that wasn't found out until he got an injury in that area during both the Eagles and Steelers games. He said he would be unable to pass a physical with this condition.

Also said the Ravens didn't try to talk him out of retirement, as Rappaport reported. Not sure what it would have helped them, he couldn't pass a physical as he said.

Poor kid.  Wish him the best.  I cant imagine not being able to do what I love, assuming he loves playing football.

This hurts big time as it was looking like one of our strongest position groups without a need. 

3 minutes ago, jdynamite said:

Wow congenital neck/spine condition that's unfortunate for Zach Orr.  After a breakout season too. 

I missed most him speaking at the presser. 

Im just in shock because when or how did this come about. 

Got dinged in the shoulder/neck area during the Eagles and Steelers game, further testing and an MRI discovered it.

1 minute ago, berad said:

Got dinged in the shoulder/neck area during the Eagles and Steelers game, further testing and an MRI discovered it.

Thanks for the reply. 

I felt bad for the guy; Orr is such a very very good ILB and he is the perfect duo with Mosley.  We have a big hole to fill....

The injury must be very very serious cuz he is about to cash in lots of money; I wish him the best....

Man, suddenly we need to find a good ILB in the draft to pair up with Mosley...

Again, no one and no one should ever doubt to flinch a single blame on Orr's retirement cuz he is the one taking the biggest hit of his upcoming lucrative contract, which he can use it to take care of his family financially for life.

Sad news for the Ravens nation for us and him....but his health is more important than money.....

8 minutes ago, berad said:

CAT scan

Such a genuine guy.  It's hard not to root for him in whatever comes next for him.  He's interested in coaching and Orr seems like the exact type of guy I'd want helping out my players when he's ready for that chapter.

Wow great job by Ravens staff. Orr said if they wouldn't have decided to give him a CAT scan also then it would have went undetected still because his condition wasn't noticed in physicals or MRIs. 

The Ravens are such a classy organization they could have waited until later but they gave Orr the chance to  announce his retirement on his own terms. I wise Zach Orr much success and I honestly think he will do great at  anything  he does going forward even coaching. 

Edited by jazz1988

Poor guy. I wish him the best. I was vocal about him being overrated amongst the fans, but he was still a very good player who had a spot on this team.

I'm just completely blown away. I had just heard we had made progress in contract negotiations with him. He was right on the verge of becoming a star and receiving a huge payday so you know it has to be serious. This just really sucks any way you look at it. What was one of our strongest positions now becomes a need. We just can't catch a break. Would much rather him play it safe  than risk getting paralyzed or even worse though. Damn. He was quickly becoming one of my favorite players man.

I had a feeling that the press conference was going to be Ozzie announcing this was his last ride- this just took me by complete surprise. 

Just goes to show you that nothing is promised and how fragile players careers can be. I think this was something he was born with if im not mistaken but one hit can end your career.

Edited by January J

About to make the big money...ugh.  Work your entire life for something and then just like that, it's gone.  Sad!  Sorry to hear, Orr.  

Crazy to say but I bet he's thankful for that injury against the Eagles/Steelers because it may have saved his life or the quality of it. 

Just now, GrimCoconut said:

Crazy to say but I bet he's thankful for that injury against the Eagles/Steelers because it may have saved his life or the quality of it. 

Yep that's how I was looking at it.  Crazy how something bad can turn into one of the best things to happen to you.  The game may be taken away but it could be so much worse, and I think he realizes that.

3 minutes ago, GrimCoconut said:

Yeah, considering the nature of his condition it's unquestionably the most fortunate thing that could have happened. Thank God the injury didn't permanently disable him. 

This sucks... I wish Orr the best going forward and hope he takes care of that injury.