Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BR News

[News] Ravens Want To Add A Veteran Complementary Receiver

90 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:

Boldin is the Man!!! Top 5 favorite athlete of my before becoming a Raven. He's the definition of a Raven. Or at least what a Raven used to be. Top 3 STUPID move of all time for the Baltimore Ravens trading him away. Esp after making us all look great and winning us a SB

Who let the Boldin trolls out again?

Steve B when he said it was a mistake they traded him.

5 hours ago, TheConquerorWorm said:
  5 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:

Boldin is the Man!!! Top 5 favorite athlete of my before becoming a Raven. He's the definition of a Raven. Or at least what a Raven used to be. Top 3 STUPID move of all time for the Baltimore Ravens trading him away. Esp after making us all look great and winning us a SB

Who let the Boldin trolls out again?

Steve B when he said it was a mistake they traded him.

lol

Maybe, lightning will strike again and another cap casualty will become available. We need to help ourselves out of this position we are always in by continuing to draft quality receivers in the early rounds until we find the right mix, just like other teams do.

11 hours ago, Vitalvicious said:

If we are to go after a WR, I'd like to see us go get Alshon Jeffrey, DeSean Jackson or Michael Floyd.

D Jackson would be great. He fits Marty's West Coast scheme and he is fast and shifty. He won't have any trouble getting separation. He is a playmaker.

Good not great option. Should be good for 50+ receptions. Depends on the price tag. On the other hand, other than Mike Wallace we do not have a proven legitimate wide receiver on the team.

Number of games played/receptions have declined the last few years. However, if the price is right he would give us another legitimate wide receiver other than Wallace. Like it, don't love it.

I think we need a competent GM. That's what the ravens really need. Someone who can identify difference makers and be bold enough to trade a damn 3rd or 2nd round pick for them.

How about trading for Brandon Marshall. Should have done it years ago when the dolphins dumped him for two 3rd round picks.

That or you pay the big bucks to Alshon Jeffrey. Those two veteran receivers would actually make a difference next season, not another late round pick or UDFA. (Chris Moore, campanero, marlon brown, aiken)

But you all know the ravens like to settle for mediocrity at important position groups (WR, CB) , so don't expect Ozzie to get it right this year.

marshall is entering his 11th or 12th year. i would not mind having him but would not overpay or give up too much to make it happen.

Stop focusing on whether a player is a veteran or not!! And just build up a stout team! my god. This is the problem, every offseason for the past 3 years it's been "Ravens want to add veteran WR", "Ravens want to add veteran WR". We have a veteran QB for christ sake, let him operate with a bunch of hungry young WR's that want to make a name for themselves. Honestly I think we need a game changing Gronkowski type of TE.

The way Joe and the offense treated SSS in his last game I seriously doubt any one of his caliber would think about it. It's going to cost big time.

So... Am I the only one thinking that the trio of Aiken, Perriman, and Wallace doesn't really sound that bad? That trio instills more confidence in me than our secondary does, and I know we have gotta keep Ricky Wagner here in Baltimore. I would love us to spend like, a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a WR in the draft, but let's keep that salary cap aimed at our biggest weaknesses. Seriously, we HAVE to find a CB.

Vincent Jackson - 34, coming off injury, has been the complementary guy for the last 2 seasons now that mike Evans is in Tampa Bay. Kendall Wright, Brian Quick, Pierre Garcon are also guys that may be worth a look at, but none I think would be more than an number 3 at best.

I'd rather see us go for a game changing Gronkowski type of TE.

1: Gronk is an almost generational type player who only comes around once every few years. You basically just have to get lucky in the draft.
2: Depends on what type of system your team is running. The Pats offensive scheme runs through Gronk, so you'd have to implement that type of offence.
3: We already have, like, how many TE's? You think we need to draft another?

15 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:
  17 hours ago, The Greek said:

start perriman and lets see if he can develop into the all around beast we need and play moore plenty as well. we keep bringing in these aging vets which stunts the growth of the young guys we have because of the lack of real game reps they receive. alshon is only 26 so he would be an exception but he has been injured lately and had the stupid suspension this season so that should be taken into consideration.

I like that idea Greek, Start Perriman and Wallace. Moore is definitely worth keeping as a 4th. So if Aiken goes, which he probably will, the idea of picking up a 5-8 year Vet is a good one. Some times teams just dont have the room to keep them. I would consider a guy like Jeremy Maclin who went to KC and had his best 2 seasons after leaving the Eagles, then this year drops off mainly due to less targeting. The guy has plenty in the tank and would be a great #2/3 for the Ravens organization. Keep your eye on him or the likes of Pryor, Jeffrey, or even work a trade for someone like a Travis Benjamin or Tavon Austin where teams have receiver options.

I like the idea, but hate the idea of Tavon or Benjamin. Maclin could be good, but risky imo. He's not a physical guy or a guy that can win 50-50 balls either. Someone will overpay him. Jefferey is super risky, but maybe worth it. But I like the idea of Pryor. Kendall wright may be a sweet fit too, though I really don't want to ever see "wright" on the back of a Ravens jersey again. never did

Ha-Ha, guy can't help what his last name is! And he probably would be a nice addition. Pryor might fit the bill also. DeSean Jackson would be up there on my list additionally, though I heard he may want to go back to Philly. Unfortunately, we all know that drafting WR is Ozzie's major flaw, although maybe (hopefully!) Perriman and Moore will change that perception. Agree we need to get some more players in the mix in any case.

I think we should sign Kenny Stills and draft either Corey Davis or OJ Howard (if the top CB's and Safety's for the 1st rd. are all gone) bring back Juice and Wagner and this offense would be booming!!

12 hours ago, whobilly said:

Picked up and dropped by other teams. CP. (Can't Play)

That's the only criteria? Or are you just being a troll? Forsett struggled to get playing time. He gave us some good production. There are tons of examples of players who take longer to develop.

Just because someone didn't get the opportunity or was buried on a depth chart doesn't mean they can't play. He outperformed most receivers in the league in preseason, we just weren't willing to keep him bc of vets and draft picks we already had at the position.

Should have picked up Michael Floyd when he was available, now the Patriots got him. Stop dragging your feet when good veterans are available for cheap.

On 1/13/2017 at 10:43 AM, The Beak said:

There are only 2 FA WRs who are better options than resigning K Aiken , (1- T Pryor and 2- A Jeffrey), Garcon is washed up , and the rest are most teams 4 or 5..Pryor would make most since , he is relatively young he is fairly durable and he is only going to get better, but if our FO office continues its M.O. probably not a playmaker just a benchwarmer.

Pryor would be excellent. He does a lot of things well and could truly open up the play book since he can pass the ball as well.

I think that if we don't have a creative playbook, mixing in run and pass plays, then it won't matter what receiver we pick up. We need to get opposing defenses away from dropping so manyDB's into coverage. Next year should be the year. Flacco have a full off-season, more work with receivers. I tell you, the guy I miss is Matt Birk. That guy was the captain of the "O" line, reminding guys of their blocking assignments, and held his guys accountable. Line was never the same when he retired.

Edited by Trevarski

On 1/13/2017 at 5:40 PM, BigUgly said:

Agreed.  We need a WR that is already a polished route runner.  Davis or Ross are better bets.  Have a shot at Davis at 16, and could trade back for Ross.  Williams would be gone by 16 in any event, and I see no reason to trade up for him.

Ross all day, he just dominates most CBs at the college level, could quickly become a star...

15 hours ago, #Nevermore said:

That guy is injury prone and inconsistent.

The Ravens love to get guys like him on the cheap.

Should have picked up Michael Floyd when he was available, now the Patriots got him. Stop dragging your feet when good veterans are available for cheap.

Michael Floyd is a Free Agent next year. You would have had him for the last 2 games in which he didn't know our system. He's familiar with the Pats system as Charlie Weis runs a similar one at Notre Dame. On top of that, you have to cut a player off our active roster and more importantly, you have to take on his salary. So, it would have burnt an extra $1.2 million in salary cap space that we can carry over to next year.

Ravens need a CB more than wide receiver. Since Joe took over in 2013 jerry rice could not help make joe look good right now.

So... Am I the only one thinking that the trio of Aiken, Perriman, and Wallace doesn't really sound that bad? That trio instills more confidence in me than our secondary does, and I know we have gotta keep Ricky Wagner here in Baltimore. I would love us to spend like, a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a WR in the draft, but let's keep that salary cap aimed at our biggest weaknesses. Seriously, we HAVE to find a CB.

I 100% agree the number one priority has to be a shut down corner. NO matter what. First round pick has to go there this year esp since this class is loaded with 1rst round corners. At least 6 or 7 of them. So there will be an excellent corner at 16 for sure. I like Tabor, Wilson, King, and Jones. I agree we need to keep Wagner for sure. That can easily be done. Pierce can take over for BWILL at NT, esp if Williams demands a lot. And there's over 20 mil in cap to clear from aging vets/under performers. I don't know why on earth we would let Wagner go. He is an excellent right tackle, that we drafted. We need to sign him and be set at and Left and Right tackle for years. Lewis and Yanda and G for years, and draft a Center in the 2nd or 3rd this year and our line is set. Corner in the first and our corners are set. Wr in the 2nd or 3rd and our wrs are set.
But yeah, relying on Perriman, Wallace, and Aiken sounds awful to me. Aiken needs to leave. Below average wr and Awful special teamer. An added vet, plus Wallace, Perriman, and Moore sounds good to me. Plus a wr in the 2nd or 3rd.

Ravens need a CB more than wide receiver. Since Joe took over in 2013 jerry rice could not help make joe look good right now.

YES ! CB and DE

honestly though. The players are always going to be at least average so it's on the coaching. The Ravens just can't figure out how to play and coach offense in the NFL

How about instead of continually taking everyone else's castoffs, we actually develop our own young, long-term receivers? You know, since we declined to re-sign Torrey, the only WR drafted by the Ravens who really developed consistently (though in all fairness to Mark Clayton, I always felt he was misused).

I guess this is just the way things are. I wish we could draft a Julio Jones or SSS of our own and develope him. I just don't know if the Ravens scouts know what to look for at the WR position because they sure have not earned their money drafting WR's. They sure don't seem to hit on it with all the WR's they have drafted in the past none of them seem to be better than a legitimate #2 guy most of them are questionable #3 or #4 WR's in the league and would not even make some NFL teams practice squads.