Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BR News

[News] Ravens Want To Add A Veteran Complementary Receiver

90 posts in this topic

Man, I hope we manage to land a veteran WR in the mold of Mason, Boldin, or SSS. Call me a pessimist, but if we start the season and our top 3 guys are Wallace, Perriman, and Aiken...it may be a looooong season. Especially if we have no run game again.

complementary to who exactly? Breshad and Mike Wallace are both speedsters and #2 options at best next year. So is our complementary WR going to be #1? Clarification to this point is in order.

I'm tired of us getting these veteran receivers every 3 or so years. We have to get it right when it becomes to drafting a wr and groom him in our system. Every other team in our division have no problem drafting receivers besides us. There's some talent in this draft.

As long as Aiken gets a decent offer elswhere - and I think he will, mpre than one - there's no way he'll come back to Baltimore. He obviously considers himself a starting WR (and there are teams where he could, indeed, be a decent starter IMHO), so, as long as he gets a chance to be treated as a starter, he's gone.
And I can understand him.

Ravens are as good at drafting WRs, as the Browns are picking QBs

Would the Browns really be this bad at drafting QB'S? LOOOOL

There are only 2 FA WRs who are better options than resigning K Aiken , (1- T Pryor and 2- A Jeffrey), Garcon is washed up , and the rest are most teams 4 or 5..Pryor would make most since , he is relatively young he is fairly durable and he is only going to get better, but if our FO office continues its M.O. probably not a playmaker just a benchwarmer.

I'm not a Flacco hater, but I wonder if a good definition for an "Elite QB" is simply one who can make a receiver great. I don't think it's dumb luck that the list of unquestionably elite QBs has some pretty famous matchups.

Or maybe it's just the Ravens having bad luck & bad decisions with the receivers they draft.

To put it another way: What would Breshad Perriman be if he played for the Packers? Not claiming to have an answer to that, BTW.

complementary to who exactly? Breshad and Mike Wallace are both speedsters and #2 options at best next year. So is our complementary WR going to be #1? Clarification to this point is in order.

I'm not quite ready to write off Perriman as a #2 speedster. We've all seen what he can do in space on a drag route, and I'd argue that the only reason he didn't catch a bunch more bombs downfield is that Flacco wasn't being protected long enough to throw it to him (plus lack of run game meant heavy coverage in the secondary).

But that's just his raw talent working there. He's had less than a year to develop as a receiver, to build a route tree, and to polish those quick cuts and double moves that make the great #1s who they are.

4 minutes ago, The Beak said:

There are only 2 FA WRs who are better options than resigning K Aiken , (1- T Pryor and 2- A Jeffrey), Garcon is washed up , and the rest are most teams 4 or 5..Pryor would make most since , he is relatively young he is fairly durable and he is only going to get better, but if our FO office continues its M.O. probably not a playmaker just a benchwarmer.

Why do you say Garcon is washed up. He had over 1,000 yards this season. He would be a great addition. He plays like Boldin. He's physical and is able to win 50-50 balls. Now Pryor would be a good addition as well but Garcon is not washed up and could definitely add something to the Ravens offense.   

I'm not a Flacco hater, but I wonder if a good definition for an "Elite QB" is simply one who can make a receiver great. I don't think it's dumb luck that the list of unquestionably elite QBs has some pretty famous matchups.

Or maybe it's just the Ravens having bad luck & bad decisions with the receivers they draft.

To put it another way: What would Breshad Perriman be if he played for the Packers? Not claiming to have an answer to that, BTW.

I'm not a huge fan of our WR coach. The development of our WR's has never been great while he was here in Baltimore. Plus, Breshad hasn't had a full offseason training with Joe because they both were injured. This offseason should give them enough time to work up a good chemistry for next season.

1. Build the Offensive Line and the Receivers will come. 2. Defense wins the Championships and 3 its not a passing league if your running back keeps the opponents offense on the bench.

That's what he means by complementary within our system. We also had a for sure pass catcher underneath and a deep threat on the other side. The for sure pass catcher has always been the number 1 WR for us.

7 minutes ago, Crusader said:

1. Build the Offensive Line and the Receivers will come. 2. Defense wins the Championships and 3 its not a passing league if your running back keeps the opponents offense on the bench.

Post this again and again

Please get Mike Williams WR Clemson with our first pick in the draft if he is still available and spend the money on a proven free agent CB in his prime. This would solve two big issues. If you have to trade up to get Williams then do it, he is a playmaker and will be one for years.

1 hour ago, Crusader said:

Post this again and again

I agree to this, build the offensive line and give time to Joe Flacco to find his receivers... We'll need a Left Guard a Center and probably a RT if Wagner leaves through FA. Wallace and Perriman can stretch the field for our running game! Any one feels like signing a brusing back like Eddie Lacy could be a nice addition?

Its not so much the receivers as it is the routes they are made to run and the whole basic scheme of the offense.

Please get Mike Williams WR Clemson with our first pick in the draft if he is still available and spend the money on a proven free agent CB in his prime. This would solve two big issues. If you have to trade up to get Williams then do it, he is a playmaker and will be one for years.

Mike Williams is like a slower version of Perriman

i agree with bringing in a cb in his prime if there are going to be any available in free agency. teams usually do not let stud corners go so we would most likely have to trade for one. #16 pick is a tricky spot because top cb's are usually gone and knowing ozzie he would trade back in a second if he could get a few more picks and that is where the problem begins. tired of multiple picks that usually get cut in camp or the following season. i would rather pkg them and move up to grab the possible game changer we lack on both sides.

1 hour ago, lowcountryraven said:

I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on a Wr while we have more secondary and passrushing issues especially in the first round. As a matter of fact this should be a defensive draft only. Use a first round pick on a corner or safety and use the other picks on another and well as passrushers. This draft is loaded with talent corners and safeties this year. Don't waste on drafting WRs if l were Ozzie. If they want a Complement Wr, they should make a statement and sign Alshon Jeffery in free agency who is only 26 and in his prime rather than getting WRs nearly past their prime in their 30's.

Edited by hen826957

start perriman and lets see if he can develop into the all around beast we need and play moore plenty as well. we keep bringing in these aging vets which stunts the growth of the young guys we have because of the lack of real game reps they receive. alshon is only 26 so he would be an exception but he has been injured lately and had the stupid suspension this season so that should be taken into consideration.

A complementary receiver? I don't care about his manners. Can he run a route and catch the ball?

2 hours ago, sami said:

Mike Williams is like a slower version of Perriman

Agreed.  We need a WR that is already a polished route runner.  Davis or Ross are better bets.  Have a shot at Davis at 16, and could trade back for Ross.  Williams would be gone by 16 in any event, and I see no reason to trade up for him.

The Ravens let another WR slip through their hands only to land with their biggest foe, The NE Patriots. They could have moved quickly and picked up Micheal Floyd who could end up to be a huge gem covered in coal, if he can work on it and the coal can be chipped off. I don't understand knowing that SS Sr. was leaving why they didn't make a move on Floyd.