• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Dubs

Juan Castillo Gone

37 posts in this topic

According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, veteran assistant Juan Castillo is going to Buffalo as their offensive line coach/run game coordinator.

Thoughts...

Not going to act like I'm knowledgeable about the offensive line and how things work, but I've always thought he was really good at developing offensive linemen? 

I'm a little surprised to hear that Castillo is moving on and I found it a little strange that it coincided with the Roman signing but, after a little research I found that Castillo wasn't under contract for the 2017 season. So I guess the writing was on the wall.

Edited by Rav'n Maniac

10 minutes ago, Wildabeast88 said:

Kubrick covered him up he was a D-Lineman when he played and personally I never thought he was very good. 

He was an ol coach in philly for over a decade and they were shocked he was promoted to DC 

ftr at Wikipedia lists his playing position as linebacker 

Lmao so basically we just switched coaches with the Bills?🤔 Castillo was bad and I don't know what schemes he was even utilizing. Never seemed to be ZBS at all. 

Going to be interesting to see if he was the problem or not. I know the OL injuries didn't help but certainly to see the impact of the Bills Oline with him.

1 hour ago, RavensDieHard21 said:

Lmao so basically we just switched coaches with the Bills?🤔 Castillo was bad and I don't know what schemes he was even utilizing. Never seemed to be ZBS at all. 

No, we lost a great coach Leslie Frazier. ge shoukd be our Dc now

1 minute ago, OldToby said:

Wasn't a big fan of Castillo, the run game was awful under his tenure. 

The run game wasn't his job except for 2013

This is definitely a hit from a player development standpoint.

I disagreed with his use (or Trestman's or Marty's or whoever's) of the tight zone, and I think Castillo's love for vertical sets -- even in the run game -- is stupid, but I think we'll miss him as a player developer.

Why Greg Roman isn't full fledged OL coach, I have no idea

Nice but wish him the very best. He was a decent man, a good coach but a bad coach for us. So he wins and we win.

Very good at developing young players... but clearly the cohesive vision and execution of the line was missing. 

Didnt we let go the assistant line coach too? I'm guessing we have a quality replacement in mind to clean house like this. 

Anyone know who Kubiaks OL coach was?

He did a great job with these guys in terms of their development. Never really felt anything towards Castillo, him leaving probably had more to do with the change in philosophy. 

I don't feel like Castillo left. It's a lateral move. Not sure about his contract but we could've blocked the move if he's under contract, and we could've offered him a contract if he wasn't to keep him if we wanted. 

Thought he was a great developer of talent but outside of '14 our OL unit has performed below the talent level imo. Maybe not the best designer and teacher of blocking scheme. Individual technique and things, sure. 

But im ok with some change. Surprised Romans title has nothing to do with run game or OL. 

So I guess we can expect to hear about hiring a new OL coach and QB coach here soon. 

Who was Romans OL coach in San Fran or Buffalo? Available??

5 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I don't feel like Castillo left. It's a lateral move. Not sure about his contract but we could've blocked the move if he's under contract, and we could've offered him a contract if he wasn't to keep him if we wanted. 

Thought he was a great developer of talent but outside of '14 our OL unit has performed below the talent level imo. Maybe not the best designer and teacher of blocking scheme. Individual technique and things, sure. 

But im ok with some change. Surprised Romans title has nothing to do with run game or OL. 

So I guess we can expect to hear about hiring a new OL coach and QB coach here soon. 

Who was Romans OL coach in San Fran or Buffalo? Available??

The Ravens could end up promoting from with in when it comes to quarterback coach but Romans ol coach  in Buffalo was Aaron Kromer. Since Rick Dennison was let go he makes sense to be The Ravens target at offensive line coach  but not entirely sure if it's true that Greg Roman will have major influence on the run game .

12 hours ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

No, we lost a great coach Leslie Frazier. ge shoukd be our Dc now

Think he was talking specifically Roman and Castillo 

HE was VERY good at developing talent, meh scheming though. He reminds me of how Marvin Lewis is a great GM but meh head coach. He will be remembered here for a long time. EASILY the most polarizing coach we've ever had.

Edited by Cillmatic

Castillo may be bad at running the ground scheme, but he is great at developing young linemen.

Something fishy going on in the Ravens staff room.....

39 minutes ago, AsianRice said:

Castillo may be bad at running the ground scheme, but he is great at developing young linemen.

Yeah, its called finding a scapegoat. If I were Greg Roman, I'd rent a house rather than buy one. He's taking a demotion to come here and do basically the same thing Castillo was doing. Now, Frazier has shuffled off to Buffalo. So much for continuity!

21 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

Castillo did really well coaching up these young lineman so I wonder if that will continue

You mean the ultra talented top 10 pick. Norte Dame has been churning out elite O-linemen for years who exactly did he coach up Wagner was good in college Wisconsin is known for good linemen Yanda was already a great player. KO was a 2nd round pick don't know how much he helped him he definitely didn't help Zuttah, Jensen or Ducasse. 

8 minutes ago, Wildabeast88 said:

You mean the ultra talented top 10 pick. Norte Dame has been churning out elite O-linemen for years who exactly did he coach up Wagner was good in college Wisconsin is known for good linemen Yanda was already a great player. KO was a 2nd round pick don't know how much he helped him he definitely didn't help Zuttah, Jensen or Ducasse. 

Zuttah has been on a decline nothing he can do about that . Jensen came from a school I can guarentee you most here haven't heard of and has turned into a respectable backup, and Ducasse had the best year of his career here. 

In terms of developing people, he was very good. I can agree his schemes might have been poor, but he was good at developing people. 

19 hours ago, AsianRice said:

It's called "expiring contract". The only thing fishy is how some of you want to make every minuscule thing into a conspiracy. 

18 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

Yeah, its called finding a scapegoat. If I were Greg Roman, I'd rent a house rather than buy one. He's taking a demotion to come here and do basically the same thing Castillo was doing. Now, Frazier has shuffled off to Buffalo. So much for continuity!

He should rent for multiple reasons. A) his third team in 3-4yrs and B.) he wants to be an oc again 

as for frazier shuffling off are you so ignorant that you think he should have stayed as db coach instead of going for DC there. The hatred you guys have for the Ravens must make it easy for you to say such dumb things and think it's valid. 

Guess tyrod was done wrong to for going to compete as starter in buffalo instead of staying here

Edited by Tiznut

17 hours ago, Wildabeast88 said:

Wagner was so good that he went in the fifth round. KO was able to seamlessly switch from RT to LG in a matter of weeks. Alex Lewis was able to be a starter thanks to Castillo's coaching.