BR News

[News] Ronnie Stanley Can Become A 'Premier' NFL Left Tackle

97 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, The Greek said:

we had no choice but to draft stanley and i liked the pick and believe he will be around for a long time. needs to improve on his run blocking and gain some more upper body strength. hope we can retain wagner but more depth is needed at LT and center must be addressed. zuttah wasnt bad but he was overpowered several times. we need to draft or sign a young matt birk

Zuttah was bad, very bad. Missed blocks, penalties, hitting a player out of bounds, and not calling blocking schemes. Matt Birk used to call the plays to the line and change them if he saw something, he was the leader. We need a Big center like the Jets have or like one of the Pounceys. I'd like us to get a center who will be around more than 4 years.

hopefully we draft kyle fuller or john toth. would not use a 1st or 2nd on a center but if either one is there in the 3rd than yes especially if we get a 3rd rd comp for osemele.

Wondering when will some of you put as much effort into watching games as you do playing armchair analyst...

Good lord people. I know everyone is in a sour mood as it is really sickening to roll into the post season with the Ravens sitting at home and the Steelers looking to roll forward and face the Pats in the AFCN. Lots to be irritated about and plenty of reasons to vent. 

A thread about Stanley wouldn't be one of them.

IMO one of the truly positive developments this season was Stanley's performance and the fact that it would appear we have a very important position locked up for the next few years. To come out here and to bash him or Ozzie for the selection is absurd. 

25 minutes ago, BiggMack91 said:
  1 hour ago, Steve32 said:
  1 hour ago, BiggMack91 said:

he is average at best he got flacco hurried on numerous occasions he is no Ogden he is a consistent Oher and we all know how that turned out he is solid but I wish we would have gotten hargraves CB at 6 but I don't see stanley being a franchise LT hope we finally draft a good CB this year with 1st round pick

Glad Ozzie make the picks and not you!

so your happy with the bums that he picks I'm not can't wait for ozzie to be fired

Most of us are pretty happy with the guys Ozzie picks. We've had some great seasons. And really good guys... I mean afterall, Ozzie did pick Ogden, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, among many others like Chris McAlister, and got guys like Shannon Sharpe, Derrick Mason, Todd Heap... and the list goes on and on.... SMH... I'm just amazed at how people live their lives completely ticked off about everything and everybody now a days.

Mason drafted by the Titans...Ozzie traded for him...

54 minutes ago, The Mom Gene said:
  2 hours ago, BiggMack91 said:

he is average at best he got flacco hurried on numerous occasions he is no Ogden he is a consistent Oher and we all know how that turned out he is solid but I wish we would have gotten hargraves CB at 6 but I don't see stanley being a franchise LT hope we finally draft a good CB this year with 1st round pick

so your happy with the bums that he picks I'm not can't wait for ozzie to be fired

Most of us are pretty happy with the guys Ozzie picks. We've had some great seasons. And really good guys... I mean afterall, Ozzie did pick Ogden, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, among many others like Chris McAlister, and got guys like Shannon Sharpe, Derrick Mason, Todd Heap... and the list goes on and on.... SMH... I'm just amazed at how people live their lives completely ticked off about everything and everybody now a days.

Mason drafted by the Titans...Ozzie traded for him...

Correct.... Ozzie brought him in. Just like he has done with so many people.... like Watson and Weddle too.

1 hour ago, jsant said:

Yanda moves to left guard and Stanley plays great in the last 5 weeks. Coincidence?

Yanda moved to left guard because he had a shoulder injury that was affecting his play on the right side.

Stanley got healthy at the right time.  I'm not sure Yanda moving had much to do with Stanley's performance otherwise.

1 hour ago, jsant said:

Yanda moves to left guard and Stanley plays great in the last 5 weeks. Coincidence?

Yanda moved to left guard because he had a shoulder injury that was affecting his play on the right side.

Stanley got healthy at the right time.  I'm not sure Yanda moving had much to do with Stanley's performance otherwise.

It may have helped in ways we don't see. I recall a few years ago in Monroe's first season, and he had rookies next to him because KO was injured. When KO returned, Monroe remarked how KO helped in the o-line communications which helped him overall.

The best LT in the league (per PFF) is considered "average at best? Dang, its hard to please some people.

Just now, Johnny-U said:

The best LT in the league (per PFF) is considered "average at best? Dang, its hard to please some people.

Some people just can't admit they were wrong about a player.  People were livid with the Stanley pick at the time and I guess some people can not accept they were wrong.

2 hours ago, Steve32 said:

Fire Ozzie? You must want us to become more like the Browns.

Some people (BiggMack?) insist on perfection - FROM OTHERS!

just like he drafted Kyle Boller,Mark Clayton,Chris Chester,Michael Oher,Sergio Kindle,Terrence Cody,Ed Dickson,Bernard Pierce,Matt Elam,Arthur Brown,DeRon Jenkins,Jay Graham,Patrick Johnson,Travis Taylor,Chris Redman,Musa Smith,Dwan Edwards,Denard Darling,Dan Cody,Adam Terry,David Pittman,Yamon Figurs,Tavares Gooden,Tom Zbikowski,Jah Reid and Terrence Brooks just to name a few yes he's picked some good guy but his hit to miss was 1-3 now he's like 1-5 an he's getting old this is a business first and foremost we have cut ties with lots of loved players an staff over the years an I think his time has come to walk away along with the so-called head coach John and his band of fools dean and marty so to me I don't know how some fans can see a problem for a period of time and still not want to fix it

If we only had an entire O line who was as average as he is, we'd have one of the best O lines in the league. 

who was the best defensive-lineman he went up against

Just now, BiggMack91 said:

I don't know ... i"m not going to go down the list of teams and look at who their edge rusher was.

He can only block the guy in front of him. Not sure what else you want him to do. 

7 minutes ago, BiggMack91 said:

I don't know ... i"m not going to go down the list of teams and look at who their edge rusher was.

He can only block the guy in front of him. Not sure what else you want him to do. 

Steelers Harris gave him a hard time.

2 minutes ago, BiggMack91 said:

if he stays healthy next year an don't give any pressure away to top tier defenders then he will convinced me other wise like I said he's like a consistent (key word) Oher

11 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Harrison gave him a hard time In the first meeting - when he just came back from foot injury. Stanley handled him easily once he came back healthy. 

4 minutes ago, BiggMack91 said:

if he stays healthy next year an don't give any pressure away to top tier defenders then he will convinced me other wise like I said he's like a consistent (key word) Oher

I didnt' realize Oher was an LT in his first year. 

14 minutes ago, balfan23 said:
  15 minutes ago, BiggMack91 said:

Yeah, his first game back from an ankle injury in his rookie year. We all have different views, different backgrounds, but it's pretty hard to argue against %$#&^ comments like that.

1 hour ago, The Mom Gene said:

Some people (BiggMack?) insist on perfection - FROM OTHERS!

yes I do (johnny-u) if you get picked in the 1st-3rd round of the draft you get payed millions to play football, so I have high expectation for those guys and they should be expected to perform to a certain level and for you to assume that people shouldn't is mind numbing to me but I understand everyone has their own opinions

Fire Ozzie? You must want us to become more like the Browns.

Eric DeCosta will do just fine an I'm sure he has learned a lot from oz but how does that turn us into the browns you are reaching on that

3 hours ago, BiggMack91 said:

just like he drafted Kyle Boller,Mark Clayton,Chris Chester,Michael Oher,Sergio Kindle,Terrence Cody,Ed Dickson,Bernard Pierce,Matt Elam,Arthur Brown,DeRon Jenkins,Jay Graham,Patrick Johnson,Travis Taylor,Chris Redman,Musa Smith,Dwan Edwards,Denard Darling,Dan Cody,Adam Terry,David Pittman,Yamon Figurs,Tavares Gooden,Tom Zbikowski,Jah Reid and Terrence Brooks just to name a few yes he's picked some good guy but his hit to miss was 1-3 now he's like 1-5 an he's getting old this is a business first and foremost we have cut ties with lots of loved players an staff over the years an I think his time has come to walk away along with the so-called head coach John and his band of fools dean and marty so to me I don't know how some fans can see a problem for a period of time and still not want to fix it

Well, I;m impressed with your memory anyhow....but really, every GM has drafted guys who for one reason or another just don't pan out. Where's your list of players that Oz has drafted that have went on to have great careers? Certainly as long as the list of players you've named above. And as for "fixing" the Raven's problems by firing everybody, try asking the Cleveland Brownies about how that works...

he hasn't faced a top 10 defensive line man 1-1 so how is he above average?

easily one of the best if not THE best player in this draft. Amazing what he has been able to do to protect Flacco and his loss early in the season was felt immediately

14 minutes ago, BiggMack91 said:

yes I do (johnny-u) if you get picked in the 1st-3rd round of the draft you get payed millions to play football, so I have high expectation for those guys and they should be expected to perform to a certain level and for you to assume that people shouldn't is mind numbing to me but I understand everyone has their own opinions

If 3rd round picks were expected to be proud bowl players they would not have lasted until the 3rd.  I'm sure it stings but Stanley looks like a pro bowler player and more than worth the pick he got.  If the draft were reheld today he does not make it to 6 and that's the best thing one can say about him.

To the overall point remember a draft is considered successful if you can get 3 starters out of it and the Ravens already seem to have before the players they are developing get a chance to show what they have so last draft might go down as one of the greatest drafts in this teams history despite what people thought at the time.

Picking up Ronnie last offseason was a no-brainer. We have him, but we also have other problems to asses. Starting with WR and Defense. I want to see this team be aggressive this offseason.

6 minutes ago, Adreme said:

If 3rd round picks were expected to be proud bowl players they would not have lasted until the 3rd.  I'm sure it stings but Stanley looks like a pro bowler player and more than worth the pick he got.  If the draft were reheld today he does not make it to 6 and that's the best thing one can say about him.

To the overall point remember a draft is considered successful if you can get 3 starters out of it and the Ravens already seem to have before the players they are developing get a chance to show what they have so last draft might go down as one of the greatest drafts in this teams history despite what people thought at the time.

Stanley, T-Young, Judon, Lewis, and maybe Dixon so far.

34 minutes ago, BiggMack91 said:
  3 hours ago, Steve32 said:
  3 hours ago, BiggMack91 said:

Well, I;m impressed with your memory anyhow....but really, every GM has drafted guys who for one reason or another just don't pan out. Where's your list of players that Oz has drafted that have went on to have great careers? Certainly as long as the list of players you've named above. And as for "fixing" the Raven's problems by firing everybody, try asking the Cleveland Brownies about how that works...

you are right to an extent about drafting but I think Eric DeCosta will do just fine when OZ leaves an its my opinion that it should be soon but as far as firing john,marty,dean turning us into browns your wrong we should do it now and get it over with john has not won anything worth mentioning since the super bowl he can't manage the clock an holds the wrong people accountable and has lost games for us with horrible special teams plays so if we made a strong offer to Pats OC Josh McDaniels for head coach bring back chuck pagano as DC and Jedd Fisch as the OC with McDaniels over seeing everything we would be back in the playoffs in 1-3 years and would be true contenders for years to come but thats just me