• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Moderator 2

Next Up: Ravens Free Agents--Who goes? Who stays?

2,548 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, purpletide said:

True. I just wonder if we could have shook a little bit more value out of the trade though.

Perhaps a bag of chips.

1 minute ago, Somerset Ravens said:

Perhaps a bag of chips.

At the time I didn't see that we had tried to trade but got a call from the 9ers. I was just going off of the notification on my phone and others on the site.

Well it's nice to see we got something in exchange for Jeremy Zuttah along with the extra cap room, although it's not much. 

I'm concerned yet eager to see whats in store for our O-line this offseason, and id say after trading Zuttah O-line has to be our biggest concern/need, given that were working with essentially 2/5ths of a solid O-line. Stanley and Yanda are the only building blocks we have and both looked banged up at times last season. Sure we still have a few depth players in Lewis,  Urschel, and Jensen but we need to add atleast 2 solid guys to fill the holes. We have made some moves to free up cap space so maybe we can scrape up a vet, and there's always the draft as well, but our O-line looks swiss cheesy right now. 

3 minutes ago, SepticeyePoe said:

If we did sign him, he would only be a short term solution until we could develop someone else.

And why would we invest a ton of money in a short term solution? 

11 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

Pretty sure Mangold is older than when Birk signed here and at 33 I don't see how he has anywhere to go but down. And do we really need to invest into another older injury risk player? 

I just rechecked, Birk was also 33 in 2009. 

Mangold was pretty durable throughout his career, last season was the only one for him missing significant time. Don't know details about his injury, I know it's ankle but older people have come back after worse ones. It wouldn't hurt if we brought him in for at least physicals and talk.

Edited by allblackraven

2 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

Who says we invest a ton of money? Other teams might not be interested, if he costs a lot I don't see why we would bother at all.

6 minutes ago, lgcs27288 said:

They would be the same age.

Ah you are right, still don't think we should. 

1 minute ago, purpletide said:

Who says we invest a ton of money? Other teams might not be interested, if he costs a lot I don't see why we would bother at all.

I don't see how we are getting him any cheaper than what Zuttah was

Just now, 52520Andrew said:

I don't see how we are getting him any cheaper than what Zuttah was

He's older than Zuttah and coming off an injury, I think that might allow for a smaller pay hopefully.

4 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

idk about all that.

What gives you that indication specifically?? Considering they didnt feel Urschel or Jensen could be the 2nd option at guard last year... seems odd they'd be set with either of them starting there next year.

I could see De'ondre Wesley or Hurst being the options at RT ahead of moving Lewis over.

And Skura's a guy to keep an eye on for the C position. Made a pretty sizable investment to keep him on the PS last year (relatively speaking of course).

It will be very interesting to see what Skura has to offer this season, hopefully we get lucky.

i cannot see either Hurst or Wesley being a starter at right tackle. Hurst has shown he is not capable of being a starter.

11 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

If he is too expensive, then we don't sign him.

I remember Harbs talked about Dallas and how they built their offensive line. If we get Claiborne, I will not be surprised by us taking Forrest Lamp at 16 to take over at Center.

1 hour ago, allblackraven said:

Drinks are on @The Raven

You're damn right. We're starting this weekend's festivities early! Drinks all around!

6 minutes ago, purpletide said:

He's older than Zuttah and coming off an injury, I think that might allow for a smaller pay hopefully.

I don't think he would still be out there if he were asking for a cheap contract, either that or teams know more than we do with his injuries

5 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

I don't think he would still be out there if he were asking for a cheap contract, either that or teams know more than we do with his injuries

True. Guess there's only one way to find out and that's who's roster he ends up on.

2 minutes ago, purpletide said:

True. Guess there's only one way to find out and that's who's roster he ends up on.

Everytime when l see your avatar picture of Nicolas Cage it freak me out. Lol. 😅

2 hours ago, The Raven said:

Multiple reporters have said it and the team's website even has it. I don't think the team's website would post this unless it were true, do you?

1 hour ago, The Raven said:

Well, okay.

1 hour ago, allblackraven said:

Drinks are on @The Raven

23 minutes ago, The Raven said:

You're damn right. We're starting this weekend's festivities early! Drinks all around!

For the record, the Ravens front page only had an article saying "reports", not confirming the release.  That"s why I like to see the official announcement.

I'll have bourbon, neat.  Not the cheap stuff.

7 minutes ago, hen826957 said:

Everytime when l see your avatar picture of Nicolas Cage it freak me out. Lol. 😅

I had that as my wallpaper for a while lol. Good ol' Nic

So, from what I'm seeing on twitter, it looks like the Ravens are offering about $5M per year for Claiborne and he wants more like $7.5M per year. 

He may be a one year prove it guy.

7 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

So, from what I'm seeing on twitter, it looks like the Ravens are offering about $5M per year for Claiborne and he wants more like $7.5M per year. 

I'm okay with that. With his injury history we might just be getting one year out of him anyway.

35 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

That's a pretty sizable gap. 

But if La Canfora's sources were accurate that everyone expects him to accept our offer that must mean no one else even has come close to our offer. 

So hopefully he'll have to come off his stance a bit. 

I honestly wouldn't want to give him $7.5m even for one year. Especially for one year. 

3 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

That's a pretty sizable gap. 

But if La Canfora's sources were accurate that everyone expects him to accept our offer that must mean no one else even has come close to our offer. 

So hopefully he'll have to come off his stance a bit. 

I honestly wouldn't want to give him $7.5m even for one year. Especially for one year. 

He's got to prove more that he can complete a season and not be affected. Very important that he actually plays football for us

2 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

Pretty sure Mangold is older than when Birk signed here and at 33 I don't see how he has anywhere to go but down. And do we really need to invest into another older injury risk player? 

In fairness though he was arguably the best and most consistent Center in the league for the better part of a decade. 

Multiple pro bowls and all pros. Not far removed from a very good year. Injury hurt him last year and an overall lack of talent on that OL. 

He could maintain. And even if he goes down some, there's a whole lot of possible downward movement in play that would still be well above average. 

And putting someone next to Yanda can really help a guy out. 

His intelligence and ability to lead won't diminish. His nasty attitude won't decline. Ability and athleticism may but we've seen OL play at a high level well into their 30's. 

Heck Birk was still playing at a high level aged 36+ and he wasn't as good as Mangold in their primes. 

And he fits the profile of what we're looking for on the OL. There's something to be said for a unified identity/mentality and style of play especially on the interior of the OL. 

Right player right price as always. But at 33 and coming off an injury he shouldn't be too expensive. And if not it shouldn't be too hard to upgrade on what we had at the position last year. 

I don't think anyone's expecting all pro Mangold. Just not getting pushed into Joe's lap on every 3rd down and tripping him, and letting our RBs get hit in the backfield every inside run Mangold. 

Thats not exactly a high expectation. 

3 hours ago, JO_75 said:

I remember Harbs talked about Dallas and how they built their offensive line. If we get Claiborne, I will not be surprised by us taking Forrest Lamp at 16 to take over at Center.

16 is too high to take a center. 

4 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

think they be same age at bout 33, birk is 40 nows and he we had him for 4 yrs. 2012 last yr.  got to exam mangold and sign the man. gotz to

7 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

The Colts did that last year, I believe. Alex Mack went at pick 21. I'm sure the Colts and Browns aren't sweating that decision or upset with it at all.

There's also Mike and Maurkice Pouncey (15 and 18) recently.

All have paid off in major dividends for their drafted teams.

Edited by BmoreBird22

13 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

The Colts did that last year, I believe. Alex Mack went at pick 21. I'm sure the Colts and Browns aren't sweating that decision or upset with it at all.

Yea.. i don't like the thinking that any point is too high to take a position. 

If a guy is the best player that's all that matters. An elite C for the next 10 years will do more for this team than an average CB2. 

Thats not to say I'm confident Lamp is that. Depends on how the board falls and who else is available at that point. 

But if someone like Lamp, Bolles, etc... is the highest rated on their board and they can't trade back a few spots then I wouldn't be upset with the pick if it works out. 

I mean at 16 I would almost say it's far more important that you nail an elite talent regardless of his position. I'd prefer a "sure thing" if there is such a thing over the more volatile, high upside guy. 

You can maybe do that... well you almost have to in the 20's-30's. At 16 I want "instant coffee"

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

On 3/14/2017 at 5:58 PM, purpletide said:

Expanding on the veteran thing, I also like that we can get guys like Weddle to teach the defensive rookies we bring in. I think we'll try our best to keep Lewis at G if we can though, but it has yet to be seen that we can spare that.

Seems unlikely now with Wagner gone. Actually, Wagner, Zuttah, and Ducasse gone, K.O. last year, no wonder Joe is under constant pressure, its a revolving door on the Oline, and you never have money to resign the good ones, so every year you ALWAYS need to draft Olinemen

53 minutes ago, PurpleCity5 said:

If you're telling me there's a potential all pro offensive lineman available at 16, then I don't give a damn if he's a guard or a center. If he can play the most important position on the line at a high level and is worth keeping around for 10+ years or so(which I think Lamp is), then he's worth the high draft pick

46 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

If you're telling me there's a potential all pro offensive lineman available at 16, then I don't give a damn if he's a guard or a center. If he can play the most important position on the line at a high level and is worth keeping around for 10+ years or so(which I think Lamp is), then he's worth the high draft pick

1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Lamp admittedly, but for me to take a C, he would have to be an elite player at his position. A "C.J Mosley" at C where he's an almost sure-fire bet to succeed over someone like Wilson, Davis, Humphrey, Foster, Williams. It's not about the position, I think C is an important position but its the way the boards are constructed in the draft. Travis Frederick was a highly regarded player but the pick was criticized by many because a lot of people out there felt that Dallas could've had Frederick later. 

If Lamp is what the Ravens to be an elite C, then I'm more than fine with that choice. I personally think an impact WR would have a bigger effect on this team than an elite C but I would more than welcome an elite C. 

I feel that we can afford to wait till the 2nd or 3rd round, you got guys like Eifen, Pocic, and Toth who can be really good players. 

Edited by PurpleCity5