Moderator 2

Next Up: Ravens Free Agents--Who goes? Who stays?

2,723 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, omar586 said:

how much is ravens salary cap right now after all this signing?

None of the official contracts have been reported so we have no idea what the cap numbers are. Years + total amount doesn't give you cap number.

5 hours ago, hen826957 said:

Yep. ūüĎć But another¬†key is also Dean Pees play calling. He need to stop have him 10 yards off the receiver.¬†

As a fun fact the CBs (at least Jimmy is) are allowed to decide for themselves how to cover there guy and thats not on Dean Pees in the game.  I know people like using him as a scapegoat because those are fun but if its up to the players to decide how to cover then you cant really put it on him.

5 hours ago, Adreme said:

As a fun fact the CBs (at least Jimmy is) are allowed to decide for themselves how to cover there guy and thats not on Dean Pees in the game.  I know people like using him as a scapegoat because those are fun but if its up to the players to decide how to cover then you cant really put it on him.

I've said this quite a few times.  Pees allows the DB's to make their own decision on how to cover.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad!

16 hours ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

Ben Watson isn't a vertical buy, Nick Boyle isn't a vertical guy, Crockett Gillmore isn't a vertical guy. Maxx Williams might be, and Darren Waller possibly could be if his hands were better. So what was the right decision? Getting rid of the best tight end you currently have with the best hands on the team?

That's just not true. Ben Watson is certainly the vertical type of TE. That's probably a big reason why we signed him in the 1st place, he showed that in his time in New Orleans where consistently attacked the deep middle of coverage's. Look at his game against the Falcons, he was killing them on those type of plays. Now compare that to Pitta's best of the year vs Miami where he got a lot of his production from YAC and short/crossing patterns. Huge difference.

Now, I got love for Pitta, but there are some numbers out there that will show you that he really didn't do quite as good as the numbers say. I think his YAC and YPP is up there in the bottom of the league. I think that paints a picture that he really isn't as great as some believe him to be. 

Contract details are coming out of the NFLPA very slowly right now.

Here's Williams:

Full breakdown of DT Brandon Williams' new 5 yr, $52.5M deal, which includes a $12.5M Signing Bonus & $24.5M fully gtd. 2017 Cap # = $6M

C6pjBTsW0AITwGg.jpg

I love the Levine signing. I love him as a special teams ace and back up SS. But where I think the real value may lie, is at ILB. 

We got Mosley who is a top MLB. He's a true tackling machine, who can shed blocks and blitz. Even shows some range in coverage. But, I think Levine can play Orr's role! Just look at players like Deon Bucannon, Deion Jones, Su'a Cravens, and Mark Barron. These hybrid safety/linebckers excel in coverage and being able to really run sideline-to-sideline. 

I think Levine can be a great complement Mosley. Levine had a great preseason last year. We also may having something in Correa at ILB or Osawor

11 hours ago, Orange_Peanut said:

Is it just me who wants Corey Graham back???

if he can't play outside corner any more than i don't see the point in re-signing him.

11 hours ago, Orange_Peanut said:

Is it just me who wants Corey Graham back???

id go corey again in a ny minute.  he was hickary for the bills. no missed time. we got a problem though. we got deciders who don't like to go back on howd they decided. its the one thing you can predict with em.  at least in there eye they doan make mistakes

49 minutes ago, B-more Ravor said:

Contract details are coming out of the NFLPA very slowly right now.

Here's Williams:

Full breakdown of DT Brandon Williams' new 5 yr, $52.5M deal, which includes a $12.5M Signing Bonus & $24.5M fully gtd. 2017 Cap # = $6M

C6pjBTsW0AITwGg.jpg

looks like a good structured contract to me.

1 hour ago, PurpleCity5 said:

That's just not true. Ben Watson is certainly the vertical type of TE. That's probably a big reason why we signed him in the 1st place, he showed that in his time in New Orleans where consistently attacked the deep middle of coverage's. Look at his game against the Falcons, he was killing them on those type of plays. Now compare that to Pitta's best of the year vs Miami where he got a lot of his production from YAC and short/crossing patterns. Huge difference.

Now, I got love for Pitta, but there are some numbers out there that will show you that he really didn't do quite as good as the numbers say. I think his YAC and YPP is up there in the bottom of the league. I think that paints a picture that he really isn't as great as some believe him to be. 

Ben Watson is aging and now coming off of a serious leg injury and when I think of a vertical threat TE, Ben Watson does not come to mind. I think more of Ed Dickson or Darren Waller if they both could catch. It is one thing to do it for one game. Watson is a very good TE so please don't think I am saying he stinks. He gets open, he can catch well, but at this stage of his career I don't think he's got much left in the tank, especially after the injury.

In fact if you look at Pitta's numbers before his injury they match up with Watson's. I am speaking of YPC. Pitta also has a longer longest reception (61 yards more than Watson's best (46). Pitta also had a 7TD season prior to his injury which is a touch under Watson's best of 8.

I think we signed Watson because nobody thought Pitta would ever be healthy and Watson is a quality target. I am sure he was available because other teams wondered what a then 35 year old TE would have left in the tank. Now he will be 37 next season coming off of a serious leg injury. If he gets a job it might have to come somewhere else. It is a shame though, I would have liked to see what he could do here last season.

56 minutes ago, AnthonyGames said:

I love the Levine signing. I love him as a special teams ace and back up SS. But where I think the real value may lie, is at ILB. 

We got Mosley who is a top MLB. He's a true tackling machine, who can shed blocks and blitz. Even shows some range in coverage. But, I think Levine can play Orr's role! Just look at players like Deon Bucannon, Deion Jones, Su'a Cravens, and Mark Barron. These hybrid safety/linebckers excel in coverage and being able to really run sideline-to-sideline. 

I think Levine can be a great complement Mosley. Levine had a great preseason last year. We also may having something in Correa at ILB or Osawor

Levine is a bit small to play that hybrid safety/linebacker role. If you look at those guys they are usually over 200lbs. Maybe if it is in no doubt passing downs only it could work.

21 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

id go corey again in a ny minute.  he was hickary for the bills. no missed time. we got a problem though. we got deciders who don't like to go back on howd they decided. its the one thing you can predict with em.  at least in there eye they doan make mistakes

Corey Graham had a great time as a Raven and he was very good with the Bills, but there is a reason why he moved to Safety and if you looked, we are kind of okay with that position now. We just let Webb go and he could do all the things that Graham could have. I don't think Graham would sign for backup money either. So I don't think it is really about the decision makers trying to protect their egos. I think it is about football/cap related issues.

Jason La Canfora‚ÄŹ @JasonLaCanfora

Ravens have been active and remain so. Would love to retain DL Lawrence Guy and they continue to monitor vet CBs like Claiborne

22 hours ago, ellicottraven said:

But, the problem has been the inclusion of Pitta and Joe's comfort level with him is one of the reasons I believe our offense suffered. Pitta has good hands no question, but, he is unable after his hip procedures to gain separation from defenders and also can't gain yards after catch. This was evidenced last year with a horrendous ypc average of around 8 yds! That is pretty bad and he isn't a red zone threat either because they know he is Joe's primary target and have him smothered. Joe's inability to see past Pitta as an option on blitzes has cost us a lot of turnovers. In fact, Joe's been baited by defenders into throwing to Pitta only to snag INTs. I think for Joe to stop his regression and grow he needs to be able to see the entire field of options available to him. But he wasn't all of last year and one reason imo was Pitta.

In any case, in the presser that just concluded Ozzie ended a Pitta question with a cryptic ' Pitta is still a Raven' message. So, our concerns and reactions are moot if the front office believes he belongs here at full salary.

How's comfort level and friendship with Pitta compromised our teams salary cap for next season. Little dink and dunks to Pitta over the last few games to get his bonuses. Very low production from those completion but he made sure to get Dennis his moneys.

34 minutes ago, Purple Punishment said:

How's comfort level and friendship with Pitta compromised our teams salary cap for next season. Little dink and dunks to Pitta over the last few games to get his bonuses. Very low production from those completion but he made sure to get Dennis his moneys.

That would be hilarious if Flacco did that, but Dennis restructured again. /conspiracytheory

45 minutes ago, EdTheMythicalOne said:

Corey Graham had a great time as a Raven and he was very good with the Bills, but there is a reason why he moved to Safety and if you looked, we are kind of okay with that position now. We just let Webb go and he could do all the things that Graham could have. I don't think Graham would sign for backup money either. So I don't think it is really about the decision makers trying to protect their egos. I think it is about football/cap related issues.

since 2012 hes nevah been seriously injured I love hickary players. i like Jefferson to tackle. doan care for his coverage skil at all though an I doan believe we are set @ safety or corner. he's still got 5th man skils

6 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

since 2012 hes nevah been seriously injured I love hickary players. i like Jefferson to tackle. doan care for his coverage skil at all though an I doan believe we are set @ safety or corner. he's still got 5th man skils

Loved Graham but there's just no place for him. 

Not sure what "hickary" means, and durability is great and all but his skills are deminishing. 

Stills tackles but his closing speed has declined. Doesn't have the athleticism to be relied upon on the back end. 

Levine brings everything Graham would, cheaper, younger and with more versatility and upside. 

The Bills secondary was awful last year. Safety play was a main culprit. 

55 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Loved Graham but there's just no place for him. 

Not sure what "hickary" means, and durability is great and all but his skills are deminishing. 

Stills tackles but his closing speed has declined. Doesn't have the athleticism to be relied upon on the back end. 

Levine brings everything Graham would, cheaper, younger and with more versatility and upside. 

The Bills secondary was awful last year. Safety play was a main culprit. 

I think he means hickory stick players...which doesn't really explain Graham's style of play. That term is usually used to define players that "lay the wood" on hits, thumpers like Pollard and Ihedigbo and most likely what Tony Jefferson is.

Lawrence Guy has signed a 4 year deal with the Patriots worth $20m according to Zrebiec.

Edited by mc_red23

Guy goes to NE

I hate them so much that I'll trade Cooks in my fantasy league

Edited by allblackraven

1 hour ago, Purple Punishment said:

That is exactly what transpired. It was clearly a collusion between Joe Flacco and Pitta so he earns back all those incentives even if at the cost of games. That is what makes me angry about this signing. Joe is regressing as a QB and Pitta is a catalyst that accelerates that regression. Unless Flacco's is given instructions on every play, we are going to be in bad shape. I think he needs to be given no ore than 2 options in his ear before every single play and not more. I don't think Flacco is smart enough to handle extensive progressions and see the entire field in the face of pressure. So simplify the game for him coordinators.

4 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

Guy goes to NE

I hate them so much that I'll trade Cooks in my fantasy league

Guy is the one guy I'm shocked we didn't pursue. Bad move that we'll regret.

1 minute ago, ellicottraven said:

Maybe we did but being guaranteed a playoff spot every year whereas we can't buy a playoff spot at the moment was the difference.

18 minutes ago, ellicottraven said:

Can only invest so much in the DL. Lots of young guys waiting in the wings that you have to hope can step up. 

19 minutes ago, ellicottraven said:

That is exactly what transpired. It was clearly a collusion between Joe Flacco and Pitta so he earns back all those incentives even if at the cost of games. That is what makes me angry about this signing. Joe is regressing as a QB and Pitta is a catalyst that accelerates that regression. Unless Flacco's is given instructions on every play, we are going to be in bad shape. I think he needs to be given no ore than 2 options in his ear before every single play and not more. I don't think Flacco is smart enough to handle extensive progressions and see the entire field in the face of pressure. So simplify the game for him coordinators.

I hate that it was exposed to the public that Joe Flacco and Dennis Pitta are friends because now it makes us fans come up with the idea that Joe Flacco is willing to do all he can to get his friend a extra pay base off incentives which Pitta himself only had to reach by catching 60  passes and playing 50 percent of  snaps on offense.

On 3/10/2017 at 10:50 AM, jazz1988 said:

Man this is sad :(

On 3/10/2017 at 10:56 AM, Moderator 3 said:

Heartbreaking.  

Yes it is, but it was expected.

You can't invest 5mil a year on a rotational DT with our cap right now.  Guy is a rock solid player but they'll create situation packages with all the other line players to mitigate his loss.