• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Moderator 2

Next Up: Ravens Free Agents--Who goes? Who stays?

2,531 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, rmw10 said:

Kind of off topic, but people forget how much loyalty Webb has to the organization.  He's been the ultimate team player in his time here, always willing to make whatever move best helps the team.  If his time is coming to an end, he'll surely be missed.

Yea he gets knocked a lot for his injuries and bc he initially got that big deal and didnt exactly live up to it right away bc of those injuries.

But hes done whatever was asked and always taking straight pay cuts, not extensions like is typical in those situations, to open up cap space when needed for the team.

Thats loyalty.

4 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Webby is gone :(

Man this is sad :(

Edited by jazz1988

9 hours ago, ellicottraven said:

What loyalty? He got paid the most money by the Ravens and he didn't have to move his family. That's typically reason enough and doesn't necessarily constitute loyalty. It's just more convenient in terms of knowing the system, knowing the teammates, etc.

2 hours ago, The Raven said:

Yes, extremely loyal. That's why he asked for more money than Damon Harrison and looked for it elsewhere. It was all about loyalty.

Loyalty was Yanda taking less than he was worth in 2010(?) to stay and Webb taking a pay cut. That's what loyalty looks like.

Brandon Williams made rounds of trips to other teams and very likely got higher offers. He very likely chose to stay at a reduced price and refused to sign deals that were offered to him that very likely would've made him the highest paid verbatim. 

On the topic of Webb, he was sort of forced to take a pay cut because it's unlikely that someone will pay him more than what he was making. He also took a very high payroll not to long ago, I'm sure when the time comes around BW will be very willing to take a reduced pay cut. 

On the topic of Yanda, no debating that, but Yanda already got his pay day prior, he was entering his 2nd round of FA where he was going to get paid, at age 28 this is BW first and last opportunity and really getting a pay day. 

I know the Webb move was inevitable but it doesn't make it any less sad.  It's tough to see good guys leave but it's the reality of the game and the business.  I'm sure he'll find work elsewhere with how well he did last year.

The Webb move sucks to hear.  Hope they bring him back on a cheaper deal.  We don't really have backup safeties worth mentioning anyway

45 minutes ago, jazz1988 said:

Man this is sad :(

Meh. Not sure why it's sad. He is no longer a good saftey/corner. His speed is gone, and he's a second too late on nearly every play. Should have been released last offseason. This is football. He's not serving a life sentence. 

2 minutes ago, Edug27 said:

Meh. Not sure why it's sad. He is no longer a good saftey/corner. His speed is gone, and he's a second too late on nearly every play. Should have been released last offseason. This is football. He's not serving a life sentence. 

:34853_doh:

Man I hope Webb comes back for a cheaper deal. I'll be really upset if we can't make it happen. I understand it but that hurts way more than if williams left. 

Honestly I'd rather see us go after a cheaper deal for Webb than signing claiborne

2 minutes ago, ludy51 said:

:34853_doh:

Please explain. I'd love to know what everyone is sad about? This was atop my list of offseason moves.

Edited by Edug27

Just now, Edug27 said:

Please explain. I'd love to know what everyone is sad about?

He's just a good guy that you hate to see go.  It's really that simple.

2 minutes ago, Edug27 said:

Actually last year at safety was his best contribution in the last 4 to 5 years and he kinda saved their butts stepping in.  That said, His $ just don't match up with his value at this point. May not happen but I wouldn't be surprised if they bring him back.

1 minute ago, Edug27 said:

Please explain. I'd love to know what everyone is sad about?

It's really not that complicated. He's just a really good guy who always did what was asked of him

3 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

He's just a good guy that you hate to see go.  It's really that simple.

In addition to what others have said, he's been here since he was drafted in 2009 - so 8 seasons. He has a lot of great plays in his history here.

Just now, ludy51 said:

It's really not that complicated. He's just a really good guy who always did what was asked of him

I know. I just don't get it. Was Shareece a bad guy who went against what coaches asked? This board rejoiced his departure. Zuttah plays while injured for us and is a really good guy. It's Webb. It's not Ed Reed or Ray Lewis. His time on the field was up. Not sure what it is with Webb but the attachement here is strong. And I promise y'all I'm not trying be all Sami here. 

3 minutes ago, berad said:

In addition to what others have said, he's been here since he was drafted in 2009 - so 8 seasons. He has a lot of great plays in his history here.

Yea. Good point. Maybe it's the fact he's been here awhile. A little too long if you ask me though. But point taken. 

7 minutes ago, Edug27 said:

Please explain. I'd love to know what everyone is sad about? This was atop my list of offseason moves.

Been here since 09, great history here, class a individual, selfless, sacrificed a lot for the team, showed fierce loyalty, was a good safety last year, and would be a great 5th db for us. 

Cap number too high, but unless we plan on making moves with this new space then it's not a great move. If we're just doing it for comfort space then it's bad. He would be great depth at either safety or cb.

Just now, Edug27 said:

I know. I just don't get it. Was Shareece a bad guy who went against what coaches asked? This board rejoiced his departure. Zuttah plays while injured for us and is a really good guy. It's Webb. It's not Ed Reed or Ray Lewis. His time on the field was up. Not sure what it is with Webb but the attachement here is strong. And I promise y'all I'm not trying be all Sami here. 

I think you're overreacting to this.  Webb was a guy who played here for a long time, made some plays, and was an active part of the community and the Ravens as a whole.  What's wrong with being sad to see a good guy's tenure come to a close?  Not many are questioning the football merits here.  Most know it was a necessary move and personal feelings are playing into the sadness.

4 minutes ago, Edug27 said:

there's a big difference between playing for a team for 18 months to 2 years and playing for a team for 8 years

1 minute ago, rmw10 said:

I think you're overreacting to this.  Webb was a guy who played here for a long time, made some plays, and was an active part of the community and the Ravens as a whole.  What's wrong with being sad to see a good guy's tenure come to a close?  Not many are questioning the football merits here.  Most know it was a necessary move and personal feelings are playing into the sadness.

It's more than just being sad though. Seems most still want him on the roster.. on the field... in the secondary... in a uniform... after watching last season, I find that mind boggling. Dude isn't good anymore. Bring him back on a reduced salary? Why? As a coach or whatever, go for it. But not on the field. 

17 minutes ago, Edug27 said:

he was the 15th rated safety in the league by PFF last season. Graded 0.1 pts behind Earl Thomas. In his first year playing safety in the NFL.

He was good. Very good considering the context. Granted, hes not what he was when he was an upper tier CB early on. But he was still a very serviceable starter and leader on this team.

I understand that his play no longer justified the pay -- especially with the Jefferson signing. But, let's not paint a false picture that he was somehow washed up or something. He was part of the best safety tandem in the league last year, and it wasnt all that close (besides Seattle) in terms of PFF. No be all, end all for sure, but our Pass D soared from near worst to near first. Weddle sure helped, but so did Webb's play.

Just now, Edug27 said:

It's more than just being sad though. Seems most still want him on the roster.. on the field... in the secondary... in a uniform... after watching last season, I find that mind boggling. Dude isn't good anymore. Bring him back on a reduced salary? Why? As a coach or whatever, go for it. But not on the field. 

Or you're just way overreacting.  That's the real answer here.

Just now, Edug27 said:

I'm not sure you did

5 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Precisely. No ones writing pages long laments to his departure.

Saying its sad to see him go is expected. Dudes been here a long time, was a drafted guy that for a good period far exceeding his mid-round, small school, undersized expectations. He was a leader and active in the community.

No ones blasting the FO for cutting him. No ones saying he's necessary to our chances next year. He'd be great depth, but you cant pay that for depth. We all get it. Dont see what the "over reaction" is.

2 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Or you're just way overreacting.  That's the real answer here.

Possibly. I haven't quite finished my coffee yet. Could explain things. 

4 minutes ago, Edug27 said:

Explain further please.

13 minutes ago, Edug27 said:

Completely agree bro. 

14 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Explain further please.

He clearly didn't pay attention to last season.  He killed it last year for us.  The cap hit was high yes, hopefully he comes back.  Sounds like hes just hating on him to be different.  Isnt that what trolls normally do?

31 minutes ago, Edug27 said:

The very obvious differences are that Webb was homegrown, was here for eight years, and when healthy had more talent in his right pinky toe than Shareece Wright or Jeremy Zuttah ever had. He was a complete no name from a college nobody ever heard of and shocked the world in his rookie year. On his best day, he was maybe the best corner in the league. He never complained. He played hard and put his body out there. It's the softball games and the community involvement, too. It's being fan-friendly and always stopping for a photo if he can. If he could have stayed healthy he would have been a Ray or a Reed if you ask me, because he did have that level of talent. And I think that, too, is why a lot of us are upset -- because he had all the talent in the world but injuries broke him down, and we were disappointed he never got there.

It's the longevity, the relationship, and the talent. If you can't see that then I can't help you.