• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
Moderator 2

Next Up: Ravens Free Agents--Who goes? Who stays?

2,534 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, BmoreRavens732 said:

Dude our WHOLE offense was nothing but check downs from TE to WR to RB. We rarely ever took any deep shots and when we did it was to smith and Aiken! Wallace and perriman ran crossing routes and slants which is good they can do more then just run deep but at some point they need to be used to there strengths. I don't care what the stats say I still stand by pitta regardless. I do wish he would restructure tho.

There were plenty of times where they tried to get Pitta going up the seam but he didn't have the speed to separate.  Not every single route was him sitting in that pocket 5 yards from the LOS.  For a guy that doesn't block, there's very little value.  A receiving TE is supposed to stretch the field.  If he can't do that anymore, then he doesn't have much use.

Just now, rmw10 said:

There were plenty of times where they tried to get Pitta going up the seam but he didn't have the speed to separate.  Not every single route was him sitting in that pocket 5 yards from the LOS.  For a guy that doesn't block, there's very little value.  A receiving TE is supposed to stretch the field.  If he can't do that anymore, then he doesn't have much use.

None of our TE's got out of the 8 ypc range including waller Gilmore and Boyle. And for flacco having 6.5 ypa that sums up our whole offense lol. I guess Jason witten can't do it anymore either cuz he had about the same as pitta ypc 

6 minutes ago, BmoreRavens732 said:

None of our TE's got out of the 8 ypc range including waller Gilmore and Boyle. And for flacco having 6.5 ypa that sums up our whole offense lol. I guess Jason witten can't do it anymore either cuz he had about the same as pitta ypc 

Jason Witten had 9.8, so not exactly close.  Our other TEs had no more than 10 receptions each, so again, not exactly close.  I like Pitta and it was cool to see him comeback, but for his skill set as a pure receiving TE, 8.5 YPR is awful for the number of receptions he had and number of snaps he played.

3 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Jason Witten had 9.8, so not exactly close.  Our other TEs had no more than 10 receptions each, so again, not exactly close.  I like Pitta and it was cool to see him comeback, but for his skill set as a pure receiving TE, 8.5 YPR is awful for the number of receptions he had and number of snaps he played.

My opinion isn't gona change yours and vise versa. I like pitta going forward and you dont. It is what it is now let's see what happens in the upcoming months.

Following Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter, it seems the players don't want to be here and are ready to leave.

Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun  35m35 minutes ago

Kamar Aiken said this was one of most frustrating seasons of his career. Acknowledged it will affect his free agency decision making.

Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun  28m28 minutes ago

Free agent FB Kyle Juszczyk said he's hoping to return but is confident he'll have some good options.

Aiken also said he feels he can be a starter so I imagine he will look for money and a place he can start. I hope we don't lose Juice...

26 minutes ago, JO_75 said:

Following Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter, it seems the players don't want to be here and are ready to leave.

Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun  35m35 minutes ago

Kamar Aiken said this was one of most frustrating seasons of his career. Acknowledged it will affect his free agency decision making.

Free agent FB Kyle Juszczyk said he's hoping to return but is confident he'll have some good options.

Aiken also said he feels he can be a starter so I imagine he will look for money and a place he can start. I hope we don't lose Juice...

There hasn't been much question in my mind that Aiken is gone.  He deserved more of an opportunity than he was given this year.

Despite Juice saying that, he's likely staying.  There were further quotes where he basically alluded to the fact that it's easier to work out a deal with the Ravens because of the familiarity.

14 hours ago, BmoreRavens732 said:

I get what your saying about check downs but our whole offense has been check down city. We've seen our offense all season send our 2 possession receivers Aiken and smith deep and have Wallace and perriman run slants and crossing routes! Flacco goes to pitta so much cuz he has a proven track record especially with each other. Look at our offense today for example. Nobody was getting separation even Chris Simms of all people was pointing that out all game. Dont matter if pitta was deep or not he was the only one doing anything all game.

Chris Simms is dead to me

1 hour ago, BmoreRavens732 said:

My opinion isn't gona change yours and vise versa. I like pitta going forward and you dont. It is what it is now let's see what happens in the upcoming months.

Pitta is the past and I am ready for the future. Maxx, Gilmore, Boyle, Waller

And after that little Pitta party yesterday the men upstairs may be thinking the same thing. 

17 minutes ago, ByTheBay said:

Chris Simms is dead to me

I wouldn't be sad in the least bit if such a "tragity" struck. 

9 minutes ago, ByTheBay said:

Pitta is the past and I am ready for the future. Maxx, Gilmore, Boyle, Waller

And after that little Pitta party yesterday the men upstairs may be thinking the same thing. 

Well one of them needs to step up and claim it 

Just now, codizzle said:

Exactly. Maxx has been non existent even when healthy. Gilmore has had it flashes but to inconsistent. Waller has potential and I like him a lot but has a case of the dropsies and Boyle I like a lot but just haven't seen much in the passing game. As of now pitta is far and beyond our best option until proven otherwise. I get the ypc thing is low but he's moving chains. I don't see how he can be judged off of his ypc when our whole offense was built off check downs the whole season.

4 minutes ago, BmoreRavens732 said:

Exactly. Maxx has been non existent even when healthy. Gilmore has had it flashes but to inconsistent. Waller has potential and I like him a lot but has a case of the dropsies and Boyle I like a lot but just haven't seen much in the passing game. As of now pitta is far and beyond our best option until proven otherwise. I get the ypc thing is low but he's moving chains. I don't see how he can be judged off of his ypc when our whole offense was built off check downs the whole season.

Yea pitta is obviously not what he was and can't stretch the field at all it seems but no other TE on the field this year deserved to play over him 

1 hour ago, codizzle said:

Yea pitta is obviously not what he was and can't stretch the field at all it seems but no other TE on the field this year deserved to play over him 

Pitta has good hands, not much speed and is a horrible blocker. I would have really liked to see more of Boyle.

2 hours ago, codizzle said:

I like Gilmore.

4 hours ago, JO_75 said:

Reading the article on the front page I draw the exact opposite conclusion for Juice. 

18 hours ago, redlobster said:

Why didn't Lewis get the start at RT ?i know he played in packages with an extra lineman of.would have been a great chance to evaluate him there. 

They needed him to catch passes.

5 hours ago, Davesta said:

I hope pitta is gone and we start the maxx era.. Already a better blocker by miles.

All you have to do to beat Pitta at run blocking is try. I don't think he cares at all about blocking.

29 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

Reading the article on the front page I draw the exact opposite conclusion for Juice. 

I mean, that's what the spin machine would have us believe about a fan favorite.

11 minutes ago, The Raven said:

All you have to do to beat Pitta at run blocking is try. I don't think he cares at all about blocking.

That's the issue with him.  If he blocked, maybe you could find some value.  The fact that he's a receiving TE that can no longer stretch the seam though?  Not much value in that.

I hope I'm wrong but I think Pitta stays, due to dead money amount and Juice gets paid elsewhere.

We need to do everything we can to keep Rick Wagner.

2 hours ago, rmw10 said:

That's the issue with him.  If he blocked, maybe you could find some value.  The fact that he's a receiving TE that can no longer stretch the seam though?  Not much value in that.

I think that's the biggest issue for me. He's no longer that move TE that can stretch the seam. So where is his value going forward. It's not as a blocker. He wasn't as savvy or quick in tight spaces down in the red zone and was only targeted 9 times in the red zone out of 100+ overall targets so he's not much of an option there. For a guy with 100+ targets only 37 of his catches went for 1st downs and that's among the worse in the NFL, so being a chain mover wasn't a strong suit. As much as I like him and still a huge fan, I just don't see how he provides anything other than a dumpoff option to this offense.

Because of the connection with Flacco, Pitta is often his first or 2nd read, but in reality he should have been more like the 4th or 5th option on most plays.  

6 hours ago, Somerset Ravens said:

Pitta has good hands, not much speed and is a horrible blocker. I would have really liked to see more of Boyle.

Kind of hard to see more of a guy when he's spending a 10 game suspension for getting busted for PEDS...for the second time. Boyle is a glorified blocking TE that manages to catch the ball once in awhile. He's not particularly big and he's not fast. Gillmore offers more if healthy because he's 6'7'' and has long arms. I just don't know after being as banged up as he was all of last year if he will be much more of a player going forward. Some decisions to be made at this position because you can't keep all these guys:

Dennis Pitta, Ben Watson, Nick Boyle, Darren Waller, Maxx Williams, Crockett Gillmore.

- I think Juice and Wagner stay. Juice is a good blocker and has done good in open space. Wagner proved his worth towards the end of the season and I think it's really important to keep him.

- Aiken leaves for a better opportunity to start. B. Williams leaves after the Ravens are outbid. I want him back, but he's just too much.

-Draft a CB early, along with a pass rusher. I could see us getting an O-lineman at some point in the middle of the draft. Also, signing a decent veteran QB or drafting one would be a good idea. 

- Veteran QBs available: Josh Johnson (with us before season began), Ryan Mallett (mabe we resign, but I think he searches for starting gig), Geno Smith, Brian Hoyer, Mike Glennon, Christian Ponder. Personally, I say we try to retain Mallett, then go for Johnson or Glennon. 

- I'm not sure what free agents will be available for us, but I'm hoping we can get a decent CB along with one in the draft. I wouldn't mind signing a veteran pass rusher, although we should look to get younger and faster.

- I like our RB situation with West and Dixon. If West is a FA, resign him. Keep Stephen Houston as a third back/ returner? 

- Find a way to keep Orr.

Edited by Sherly_Tebow

I'd be surprised if we keep Watson over Pitta, but I believe one of those guys will be cut early in the offseason for cap reasons. If Pitta is going to be cut then I don't think it'll happen until late in the offseason, it won't be a cap casualty situation, he'll have to be flat out outplayed by Maxx, Boyle, and Gillmore to be let go, and even then I don't know, he's Flacco's guy and it's conceivable that he could be better next year compared to this year since it was his first season back. I already assume Watson will be cut as a cap casualty, $3M in savings and he's much older than anyone else we have at the position, seem like an overall easy choice to me.

The situation for Webb and Doom to me are "easy," restructure/extension or be cut. We save lots of cap by cutting each, moreso than they're worth currently in my opinion. So that's pretty much the ultimatum at this point. I think Webb stays, I don't think he wants to play anywhere else. As for Doom I really couldn't say, I think he could easily be happy to stick around even if it means taking a little less money, but I think he's less tied to Baltimore than Webb is.

As for the other FAs: re-sign Lawrence Guy, Anthony Levine, Ryan Mallet, Kyle Juice-cheque, and Ricky Wagner. I can see Ducasse and Powers also being resigned since they'll be cheap and have starting experience, and can easily be cut later in the offseason if others start to perform better. Let Williams walk, I don't want to pay a NT $9M+ per year and Wagner is the priority, also we have Pierce to take his place - he may not be as good as BWill but he's got great potential and does add a pass rush element that BWill just doesn't. Elam just flat out needs to go, we can easily find someone better on the cheap, sorry he didn't work out but it'd be better for both parties to part ways. I'd like Aiken to be back, but I don't know if he wants to come back after being largely cast aside this year, maybe Smith's retirement is enough motivation for him to stay as it'll mean he'll get more reps assuredly; wouldn't be surprised if he's gone though. West obviously needs to be kept as a RFA, Camp can come back too. If memory serves then Sheldon Price was pretty impressive before injury, he should come back. 

I don't see anyone else on the list that absolutely needs to be kept, I'm sure many of the other will be back for no other reason but they're cheap and can be camp bodies.

9 hours ago, Ravensfan23 said:

I think that's the biggest issue for me. He's no longer that move TE that can stretch the seam. So where is his value going forward. It's not as a blocker. He wasn't as savvy or quick in tight spaces down in the red zone and was only targeted 9 times in the red zone out of 100+ overall targets so he's not much of an option there. For a guy with 100+ targets only 37 of his catches went for 1st downs and that's among the worse in the NFL, so being a chain mover wasn't a strong suit. As much as I like him and still a huge fan, I just don't see how he provides anything other than a dumpoff option to this offense.

Because of the connection with Flacco, Pitta is often his first or 2nd read, but in reality he should have been more like the 4th or 5th option on most plays.  

I totally agree and to be honest, since his overall production isn't equating to more first downs and scores for the amount of targets he receives. I would much rather he not be on the field, forcing Flacco to look elsewhere. Basically, he has become too much of a security blanket for Joe imo.

6 minutes ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

I totally agree and to be honest, since his overall production isn't equating to more first downs and scores for the amount of targets he receives. I would much rather he not be on the field, forcing Flacco to look elsewhere. Basically, he has become too much of a security blanket for Joe imo.

That's the issue and that's why, despite their friendship, the duo needs to be broken up.  Flacco has such a tendency to look directly at Pitta if his first read isn't there.  That security blanket needs to be taken away from him, because there's been some serious regression when he knows Pitta is right there at all times.  He doesn't progress through any of his other reads.

14 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

That's the issue and that's why, despite their friendship, the duo needs to be broken up.  Flacco has such a tendency to look directly at Pitta if his first read isn't there.  That security blanket needs to be taken away from him, because there's been some serious regression when he knows Pitta is right there at all times.  He doesn't progress through any of his other reads.

It sort of reminds me of Stafford with Calvin Johnson. 

25 minutes ago, mc_red23 said:

It sort of reminds me of Stafford with Calvin Johnson. 

And Stafford has been so much better without him.  Now, that has only been 1 season of course, but you can see the progression in his game.