RaineV1

Mock Drafts from the Media

782 posts in this topic

Thought it might be a good idea to have a single thread for us to post interesting or awful Ravens' picks in mock drafts from the media. Let's start with one of the worst ones I've seen, courtesy of Dane Brugler:

17. Baltimore Ravens

Dalvin Cook , RB, Florida State Seminoles : The Ravens have a stable of average backs, which is one of the reasons they rank near bottom of the league in rushing. Cook would help change that.

Note: Charles Harris, Takkarist McKinley, and Sydney Jones were still on the board at this point in his mock.

Elsewhere, yesterday, Eddie Brown of the San Diego Tribune posted a two round mock. He had the Ravens taking:

17. Baltimore (8-7) — Sidney Jones, CB, Washington, Jr.

The Ravens defense won’t officially be back to its dominant self until it fixes its secondary. Jones may fly under your radar because no one ever throws his way, but that is because his ball skills are only rivaled by Florida’s Tabor. Top needs: DE, CB, WR 

48. Baltimore — Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford, rSo.

I would be pretty happy if this one happened.

Charlie Campbell from Walter football had us picking adoree jackson. Which, personally I'm happy with. The problem with it wasn't the pick. It was who was still available. Mike Williams went one pick later....lol. while Tim Williams went 30th (Maybe he thinks character concerns idk)

Edited by ravensnation5220

Jones would be the ideal pick depending on who is there. I would personally have a real tough time picking between Jones and Barnett so that's one scenario where it wouldn't be a clear decision. Jones would finally give us that quality CB across from Jimmy and make it easier on the pass rush and help stop Tom Brady from killing us on short routes. I'd love him here in Baltimore. I know people like to be chicken littles here suggesting we'll never get him because now that he's getting hype here (well deserved, IMO) that he'll be out of reach but I don't buy that this early in the process. Look at all the top CB taken and you will see many things in common as they are typically amazing athletes. I'm not saying Jones isn't but it's a fact that I can't ignore and in a draft with so many quality CB it's very easy for there to be a big variance on who's the top CB. This could mean that yes, Jones goes higher than currently projected or it could mean another CB goes before him. 

1 minute ago, GrimCoconut said:

Jones would be the ideal pick depending on who is there. I would personally have a real tough time picking between Jones and Barnett so that's one scenario where it wouldn't be a clear decision. Jones would finally give us that quality CB across from Jimmy and make it easier on the pass rush and help stop Tom Brady from killing us on short routes. I'd love him here in Baltimore. I know people like to be chicken littles here suggesting we'll never get him because now that he's getting hype here (well deserved, IMO) that he'll be out of reach but I don't buy that this early in the process. Look at all the top CB taken and you will see many things in common as they are typically amazing athletes. I'm not saying Jones isn't but it's a fact that I can't ignore and in a draft with so many quality CB it's very easy for there to be a big variance on who's the top CB. This could mean that yes, Jones goes higher than currently projected or it could mean another CB goes before him. 

Yep.  People shouldn't fall into the trap, especially this early.  Hell, around this time last year, Laquon Treadwell was considered a borderline top 5 pick, and we see how that turned out.

12 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Yep.  People shouldn't fall into the trap, especially this early.  Hell, around this time last year, Laquon Treadwell was considered a borderline top 5 pick, and we see how that turned out.

I try to wait until the combine before I start guessing specific draft position now. It's a lesson learned from past mistakes on my part. So much changes in this process. 

as much as i LOVE dalvin cook as a rb (been on his hype train since last year, have always said hes better than fournette) id be really disappointed if we drafted him in the first. im on the kenneth dixon bandwagon 100% and had him as my 2nd back in the 2016 draft, and i think his play the second half of the season indicated that we have a young monster on our hands.

Tim Williams or Sidney jones. We absolutely need either a corner or pass rusher in the first. If character comes in though I think Sidney Jones is a home run pick. Sick ball skills. Has the size. He has great technique and shadowing ability. To have him Jimmy and Tavon in the secondary with Weddle is hard to pass on.

16 minutes ago, RavensDieHard21 said:

Tim Williams or Sidney jones. We absolutely need either a corner or pass rusher in the first. If character comes in though I think Sidney Jones is a home run pick. Sick ball skills. Has the size. He has great technique and shadowing ability. To have him Jimmy and Tavon in the secondary with Weddle is hard to pass on.

A Sidney Jones pick doesn't just give us an elite secondary.. But it allows us to still be effective if/when Jimmy goes down. We don't even need 2 shutdown corners to be a top defense, just one because pees does well at cluttering the opposite side of the field and making it hard to throw, if Jimmy goes down our defense looks like the #1 defense we fielded this year, if neither goes down then it looks even better. 

12 hours ago, Gruntled Ravens Fan said:

I really hope we can land either Tim Williams or Eddie Jackson from 'Bama. Both players would fill needs, and possibly be day one starters.

I wonder how far Eddie Jackson falls cause of the injury? I would be trilled to get him in the 3rd or 4th round. Let him redshirt for a year and replace Webby or weddle. 

Edited by Davesta

Matt Miller's 7 round mock has us taking...

1.  OLB Takk McKinley

2.  CB Marlon Humphrey

3.  WR Dede Westbrook

3C.  S Tedric Thompson

4.  QB CJ Beathard

5.  TE Blake Jarwin

6.  RB De'Veon Smith

7.  WR Kenny Golladay

The big omission is no OL, but I also know that Miller usually forgoes needs in the later rounds to focus more on where he thinks the player should/will go.  I'm not sure we'd take Westbrook considering he has 2 DV arrests to his name, so we can probably scrap that idea.

Edited by rmw10

1 hour ago, rmw10 said:

Matt Miller's 7 round mock has us taking...

1.  OLB Takk McKinley

2.  CB Marlon Humphrey

3.  WR Dede Westbrook

3C.  S Tedric Thompson

4.  QB CJ Beathard

5.  TE Blake Jarwin

6.  RB De'Veon Smith

7.  WR Kenny Golladay

The big omission is no OL, but I also know that Miller usually forgoes needs in the later rounds to focus more on where he thinks the player should/will go.  I'm not sure we'd take Westbrook considering he has 2 DV arrests to his name, so we can probably scrap that idea.

id be really disappointed with takk in the first. hes a project.

3 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

I'd be more disappointed with Humphrey in the second. 

16 minutes ago, Jacquouille said:

I don't understand why everybody hates Humphrey so much. 

32 minutes ago, Jacquouille said:

I saw on CBS that both their analysts had him going top 10 and I wanted to vomit.

14 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

There's the notion around here that Alabama DBs suck in NFL, just because they are from Bama. RBs, too.

16 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

There's the notion around here that Alabama DBs suck in NFL, just because they are from Bama. RBs, too.

I'm absolutely not of that idea. Fitzpatrick looks like a legit CB from what I've seen. Not Humphrey. He's stiff as a board and can't turn around smoothly. Against Auburn he got absolutely exposed because of that.

37 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

i dont hate him, but i think hes far too stiff to be this concrete first round pick, some even call him top cb in the class.

19 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

not that they suck, but that they have a far easier job than any db in the nation and its hard to project them. 

i dont think bama rbs will suck in the nfl, just derrick henry, and not because he played for alabama but directly because of how he plays.

12 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

i dont hate him, but i think hes far too stiff to be this concrete first round pick, some even call him top cb in the class.

not that they suck, but that they have a far easier job than any db in the nation and its hard to project them. 

i dont think bama rbs will suck in the nfl, just derrick henry, and not because he played for alabama but directly because of how he plays.

Henry did pretty well, considering he got about 25% of total carries - 4.5 y average and 5 TDs, no turnovers. Prorated, that's close to 1000y / 10TD rookie season. I suspect it would be even better - RBs need more touches to get into better rhythm.

lol at the analysts who don't know the team and think the low rushing numbers means we have a RB problem. Sidney Jones would be my ideal realistic pick. 

Edited by Cville-Raven

6 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

He looks so explosive. Has the size and is stout against the run, but the level of competition he has faced has me worried. Realistically I'll be disappointed if we don't take a CB or pass rusher though.

There's another CBS mock from someone who definitely didn't watch the Ravens.

Cam Robinson , OT, Alabama: The Ravens could be looking for a new right side of the offensive line in 2017 with guard Vladimir Ducasse and tackle Rick Wagner each pending free agents. A former five-star recruit, Robinson has starred the past three years at left tackle for the Tide, earning the Outland Trophy this season as the best blocker in college football.

Granted, Robinson and Stanley would be an amazing combination of tackles, but it certainly wouldn't fix any of the issues the Ravens are having.

Matt Miller also posted a mock draft yesterday.

The Pick: EDGE Takkarist McKinley, UCLA

A big, powerful edge-rusher with the talent to play down as a 4-3 defensive end or up as a 3-4 outside linebacker? Sounds perfect for Baltimore.

McKinley was a surprise name on my list early this season after failing to get a report done on him in 2015. But he quickly made himself a must-watch with impressive power at the point of attack and the hand use you rarely see from college defenders.

While McKinley won't flash Von Miller athleticism or burst off the edge, he does use his length exceptionally well and has the mentality to split blockers and attack the ball from a hand-down or stand-up position.

This edge class is special, and others such as Joe Mathis and Ryan Anderson could get the nod here, but McKinley is tailor-made to fill the biggest need on the Baltimore roster.

1 hour ago, RaineV1 said:

Matt Miller also posted a mock draft yesterday.

He does have a point that the fit is tremendous. I don't like the value at 16, but I wouldn't hate it either, he would certainly make an impact.

I love the idea of pairing Dalvin Cook with Kenneth Dixon. I didn't get to see that many games this year as I normally do, but from what I saw, I thought Dixon was excellent and West was kinda underwhelming. Cook would provide the offense with an element of speed from the backfield. Considering what we have in Flacco, our offense needs more athletes. I doubt Cook is available at 17, but I wouldn't be upset at all if we were to select him.  

36 minutes ago, zuilyas said:

I love the idea of pairing Dalvin Cook with Kenneth Dixon. I didn't get to see that many games this year as I normally do, but from what I saw, I thought Dixon was excellent and West was kinda underwhelming. Cook would provide the offense with an element of speed from the backfield. Considering what we have in Flacco, our offense needs more athletes. I doubt Cook is available at 17, but I wouldn't be upset at all if we were to select him.  

I would absolutely be upset.  We have a great tandem in west and Dixon and Dixon has even looked to show like he could be legit playmaker.  Would be an absolute waste of a draft pick considering all the other needs we have. 

2 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

I would absolutely be upset.  We have a great tandem in west and Dixon and Dixon has even looked to show like he could be legit playmaker.  Would be an absolute waste of a draft pick considering all the other needs we have. 

The only thing that would upset me about drafting Dalvin Cook is if Marty Mornhinweg failed to properly utilize him. Cook is a guy that could be an absolute game changer. Dixon is a good back, but Dalvin Cook has the potential to be great. In an offense lacking game changers, Cook would be welcomed.

8 minutes ago, Tyler said:

The only thing that would upset me about drafting Dalvin Cook is if Marty Mornhinweg failed to properly utilize him. Cook is a guy that could be an absolute game changer. Dixon is a good back, but Dalvin Cook has the potential to be great. In an offense lacking game changers, Cook would be welcomed.

So you want to make a position we are already good at, be more crowded.  The issue was not committing to the run, but the execution of the backs.  So drafting a guy to crowd that backfield even more while we have a good two headed monster and miss out on quality players at positions we actually need is a mistake the front office will not make and I am thankful for that.  That being said ive been a huge advocate for find another Ray Rice, but not at #16 overall when we clearly need CB and a pass rusher.  And you speak of Cook having potential, Dixon has that same potential....neither one of them have done it, but they can

Edited by usmccharles

15 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

So you want to make a position we are already good at, be more crowded.  The issue was not committing to the run, but the execution of the backs.  So drafting a guy to crowd that backfield even more while we have a good two headed monster and miss out on quality players at positions we actually need is a mistake the front office will not make and I am thankful for that.  That being said ive been a huge advocate for find another Ray Rice, but not at #16 overall when we clearly need CB and a pass rusher.  And you speak of Cook having potential, Dixon has that same potential....neither one of them have done it, but they can

You're right in that our biggest needs are at CB and pass rusher, but Ozzie subscribes to the BPA philosophy, so if Cook were available at pick 16, I do think it's something he might entertain. He's taken backs when we've had a crowded backfield before, albeit not in the 1st round, but guys like Cook and Fournette don't come around very often. Also, idk if any of the backs on the roster now are as explosive or as athletic as Cook are. Maybe I'm wrong but just my 2 cents