ravensnation5220

2017 edge rusher

633 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Dubs said:

What about Tarrell Basham? He seems to be getting some love lately and looks like a guy who once in an NFL strength and conditioning program and with some coaching on hand usage could be something...thoughts on him (anyone)? I have seen his draft value all over the place. Really like his motor and size/quickness combo

I really like him. Hes a guy id like in tge 3rd round for sure. He has a good sense of humor too if you saw the youtube video the school made. Plus hes got an awesome name

1 hour ago, Dubs said:

What about Tarrell Basham? He seems to be getting some love lately and looks like a guy who once in an NFL strength and conditioning program and with some coaching on hand usage could be something...thoughts on him (anyone)? I have seen his draft value all over the place. Really like his motor and size/quickness combo

I think he's exactly the type of profile our FO likes, basically a DE build with strength and explosiveness that can still play from a two-point stance. Also a great character and leader, so that's a big plus. And of course he did very well at the Senior Bowl. Not sure for a 2nd round but if he's there in the 3rd he's a great bargain.

22 minutes ago, Jacquouille said:

I think he's exactly the type of profile our FO likes, basically a DE build with strength and explosiveness that can still play from a two-point stance. Also a great character and leader, so that's a big plus. And of course he did very well at the Senior Bowl. Not sure for a 2nd round but if he's there in the 3rd he's a great bargain.

Im just worried the patriots would want him at 72

10 hours ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Im just worried the patriots would want him at 72

Yeah, rumors have the Cowboys very interested in him too... We'll see.

Reddick is one of my favorite players in this draft. I try to convince myself 16 isn't a reach for him because of his talent level, but I do think it is a reach. I still think he screams Raven and would be fantastic on the edge, and on the inside from time to time. 

But those players that play 500 different positions I'm always afraid they will be only alright at the positions they play and won't be a star at one position. I think Reddick could be a star on the edge but it is something that worries me.

6 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

Reddick is one of my favorite players in this draft. I try to convince myself 16 isn't a reach for him because of his talent level, but I do think it is a reach. I still think he screams Raven and would be fantastic on the edge, and on the inside from time to time. 

But those players that play 500 different positions I'm always afraid they will be only alright at the positions they play and won't be a star at one position. I think Reddick could be a star on the edge but it is something that worries me.

I agree, but I typically try to differentiate in 2 ways.

1.  I typically like the players that you know can play 1 position, but also have the versatility to play others.  Guys like Reddick and Bowser fall into that category for me.

2.  I'm more concerned with players that I don't really know where to play them.  They may have talent but not a true position that fits their size, skill, mindset, etc.  That's always why guys like Peppers concern me.  I think he has the debate of where to put him, where guys like Reddick have arguments more along the lines of where ELSE can you put him.

7 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

1.  I typically like the players that you know can play 1 position, but also have the versatility to play others.  Guys like Reddick and Bowser fall into that category for me.

2.  I'm more concerned with players that I don't really know where to play them.  They may have talent but not a true position that fits their size, skill, mindset, etc.  That's always why guys like Peppers concern me.  I think he has the debate of where to put him, where guys like Reddick have arguments more along the lines of where ELSE can you put him.

I know this is the edge rusher thread but Ill say this anyways

To me theres no question where you put peppers. Hes a safety all the way. I think you use him as the honey badger and let him play that nickle position on spread situations and let him fly. He wont play linebacker and wont play outside corner. To me hes a safety

3 month ago people would've said I was crazy thinking it wasn't a reach for Reddick at 16. I don't think he is a reach anymore. He just has that football instinct and he looks good at almost every aspect. I think it might take him some time to acclimate to the NFL but I think it is worth it. He is one of my favorite players this year that I know the Ravens have a possiblity of getting. I think the only film I enjoy watching more is Jamaal Adams' film. 

Considering we wanted to trade up for Mack back in 2014, what scenario or how far do you think Garrett when Cleveland passes on him for Trubisky is going to fall and if so, should we call the 49ers to move up from 16 to 2, or if the 49ers grab someone else(Fournette) do we call the Bears to move up to 3? Given we were willing to try to get Mack, I like to think we have the same will to do the same for Garrett when Cleveland passes on him. Thoughts?

1 minute ago, JO_75 said:

Considering we wanted to trade up for Mack back in 2014, what scenario or how far do you think Garrett when Cleveland passes on him for Trubisky is going to fall and if so, should we call the 49ers to move up from 16 to 2, or if the 49ers grab someone else(Fournette) do we call the Bears to move up to 3? Given we were willing to try to get Mack, I like to think we have the same will to do the same for Garrett when Cleveland passes on him. Thoughts?

I think it would be unlikely that we actually move up that far, but it wouldn't hurt to see how much those teams would be asking for in order to move up.

6 minutes ago, SepticeyePoe said:

I think it would be unlikely that we actually move up that far, but it wouldn't hurt to see how much those teams would be asking for in order to move up.

Apparently the rumor mill is the 49ers and Bears are "antsy" to trade down(IE trying to drum up trade interest) so it wouldn't be far fetched to give it a shot. According to the draft value chart, we wouldn't have to give up too much. We have to give up 2 first round picks in order to do so. 2nd Overall pick is worth 2600 points, our 16th pick is only 1000. Doing the math, our 1st and second this year equates to 1430 points total, leaving us with 1,170 points to make up which we can do that by sending our 2018 first round pick to them. It would be pricey giving away our first next year but Garrett would be worth it to secure our future after Suggs. 

On 4/12/2017 at 9:07 AM, rmw10 said:

While I understand some folks not liking peppers, I don't quite get why people seem so confused as to where he plays. He looks 100% like a strong safety imo and I can't see him playing anywhere else. 

And I personally think he will be a very good SS. 

Just now, JO_75 said:

Apparently the rumor mill is the 49ers and Bears are "antsy" to trade down(IE trying to drum up trade interest) so it wouldn't be far fetched to give it a shot. According to the draft value chart, we wouldn't have to give up too much. We have to give up 2 first round picks in order to do so. 2nd Overall pick is worth 2600 points, our 16th pick is only 1000. Doing the math, our 1st and second this year equates to 1430 points total, leaving us with 1,170 points to make up which we can do that by sending our 2018 first round pick to them. It would be pricey giving away our first next year but Garrett would be worth it to secure our future after Suggs. 

And then Garrett gets hurt repeatedly and you have nothing to show for 3 high draft picks. What if we have another 5-11 season and pick top 10 or even top 5 next year? Bigger blunder. 

Never sell the farm to trade up unless you absolutely have a winning roster and you only need one player to get you over the hump.

3 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

And then Garrett gets hurt repeatedly and you have nothing to show for 3 high draft picks. What if we have another 5-11 season and pick top 10 or even top 5 next year? Bigger blunder. 

Never sell the farm to trade up unless you absolutely have a winning roster and you only need one player to get you over the hump.

Without the benefit of hindsight, QB is the only position worth even thinking about moving up that much.

12 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

or if you are going after a qb

5 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

or if you are going after a qb

Would fall in line with the winning roster thing. Like the Texans. Wouldn't bat an eye if they mortgaged the future for a top qb

38 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Would fall in line with the winning roster thing. Like the Texans. Wouldn't bat an eye if they mortgaged the future for a top qb

i meant more generally though - go up and get your guy if you identify them because the nfl is very much split into the haves and have-nots with regards to qbs

I'm coming around on Takk. 

Still wouldn't be very happy if we took him at 16 depending on who else is available... but I read a bio piece on him (I think it was ESPN) and he's a survivor. 

Tough up bringing, long road to success and has a great support structure around him now. 

Def a guy I'll be rooting for regardless... and wouldn't mind having as a Raven under the right circumstances. 

8 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Still wouldn't be very happy if we took him at 16 depending on who else is available... but I read a bio piece on him (I think it was ESPN) and he's a survivor. 

Tough up bringing, long road to success and has a great support structure around him now. 

Def a guy I'll be rooting for regardless... and wouldn't mind having as a Raven under the right circumstances. 

I watched the video on YouTube telling about the promise he made to his grandmother. I really liked him as a prospect before and, for as much as one video might tell about a man's personality, I can't help but feel even greater simpathy. 

With Conley, Wilson, Takk and Laws still on board I would poop my pants about pulling the trigger.

Always talking about characters, I just watched Auburn pro day shortcut. Love the way my boy listens to the coach and looks willing to be taught.

2 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

While I understand some folks not liking peppers, I don't quite get why people seem so confused as to where he plays. He looks 100% like a strong safety imo and I can't see him playing anywhere else. 

And I personally think he will be a very good SS. 

I think it depends on what you want out of your SS. I like a guy that can still play deep and I'm not sure I see that in him. If he's in the box a majority of the time though, I agree. 

1 hour ago, rmw10 said:

I think it depends on what you want out of your SS. I like a guy that can still play deep and I'm not sure I see that in him. If he's in the box a majority of the time though, I agree. 

I think it's unfair to him that he was used as a LB in a strictly attack role, he was given so little coverage snaps that it was a detriment to him. You can talk about what he did in college but the film shows a few things that translates to any position on the field: explosiveness and all around great athleticism, instinct and anticipation, and a swarming style and form tackling.

i just truly think it's a stigma placed on him because of how he was used. For instance cravens was given plenty of coverage snaps and was used as a s/lb hybrid, so he made plays in coverage, peppers was blitzing and spying on screens in a large majority of his snaps, I just haven't seen anything to suggest he can't be a traditional strong safety, evidence of absence is not the absence of evidence, and his skill set is universal, which is why I think he's gonna succeed and doesn't have to be pigeonholed as a box safety

3 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I was just looking up his age because he seemed like an older soul in a young mans body and was surprised that he is only just 21 - it made me look up some of the ages of other edge rushers... I never even realised this but derek Barnett isn't even 21 yet which is crazy

I think we're overthinking Charles Harris. When you have a pass rusher with good physical tools, excellent work ethic, an already wide array of moves and active hands, and the Mizzou label, you deserve to be picked at 16 honestly. Not saying he's my fav prospect for us but in a DPR role he could hit 7+ sacks as a rookie without surprise.

I think we're trading back and taking jordan willis.

I think hes the most underrated prospect in the draft and with the highest ceiling.

7 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

I think we're trading back and taking jordan willis.

I think hes the most underrated prospect in the draft and with the highest ceiling.

Over Carl Lawson?

2 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

yup

The more I see of Reddick the more I see a guy that fills a need and could be the BPA at 16. A more explosive Jamie Collins he is twitchy and has great instincts he looks damn near unblock-able.

Just now, Drew P said:

The more I see of Reddick the more I see a guy that fills a need and could be the BPA at 16. A more explosive Jamie Collins he is twitchy and has great instincts he looks damn near unblock-able.

i love reddick but willis is a better fit as a pure 3-4 OLB. If we were a 4-3 i'd take reddick. 

btw if we took reddick i wouldnt be upset . Just letting you know he's one of my favorite prospects. I just think willis is that potential suggs replacement that we need.

1 minute ago, Sami84 said:

btw if we took reddick i wouldnt be upset . Just letting you know he's one of my favorite prospects. I just think willis is that potential suggs replacement that we need.

Correct. Keep in mind most Defenses play a "base" personnel package around 35% of the time. So i think the 3-4 vs. 4-3 scheme is sometimes irrelevant these days with the pass happy league