• Announcements

    • Admin 3

      UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

      After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Who/What Was the #1 Top Reason For Missing Playoffs?

200 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, frozen joe flacco fan said:

I find your post amusing. While Ray was not playing at full strength the year we won the Super Bowl and was certainly past his peak, he was an inspiration to his teammates on and off the field. That's an intangible. His leadership and inspiration was highly motivational for the team and they rode the crest of an emotional wave to and thru the SB.

 

I don't get this line of thinking.  The 2012 defense was average at best all year.  The 49ers are tied for the NFL record for most points scored in a superbowl loss.  Did Ray not inspire the players that played next to him?  And will we also ignore that players have come out and said Ray's words don't do much for them?  I know Flacco himself has said it and he was the MVP of that superbowl run easily.  Defenders have said it also, like McAlister years ago for example.

Harbaugh's team won that superbowl regardless.  Only 5 members were part of Billick's regime (Yanda, Suggs, Ray, Ed, and Koch).  And we're apparently going to ignore the injured teams since Ray's departure that were a game short of being in the playoffs (2013), barely lost the divisional round to the eventual champs (2014), and heavily injured (2015).  Let's also act like the Ravens never missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years when Ray was rah rah'ing it up all game long and in his prime (2002-2005).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lack of QB consistency

It's irrelevant if Flacco is a great playoff performer if he can't get the job done in the regular season. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

I don't get this line of thinking.  The 2012 defense was average at best all year.  The 49ers are tied for the NFL record for most points scored in a superbowl loss.  Did Ray not inspire the players that played next to him?  And will we also ignore that players have come out and said Ray's words don't do much for them?  I know Flacco himself has said it and he was the MVP of that superbowl run easily.  Defenders have said it also, like McAlister years ago for example.

Harbaugh's team won that superbowl regardless.  Only 5 members were part of Billick's regime (Yanda, Suggs, Ray, Ed, and Koch).  And we're apparently going to ignore the injured teams since Ray's departure that were a game short of being in the playoffs (2013), barely lost the divisional round to the eventual champs (2014), and heavily injured (2015).  Let's also act like the Ravens never missed the playoffs 3 of 4 years when Ray was rah rah'ing it up all game long and in his prime (2002-2005).

Yeah, I think the preaching and such may have helped the young guys for a bit when they first came on board, but after a while thinking it just became a nod of the head and jumping around, but not really listening. I remember Joe saying once that he didn't even know what Ray was talking about half the time. 

Ray Lewis was a great football player, but his motivational effects on the team were greatly exaggerated, not just by him but by others as well. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, elemento said:

Lack of QB consistency

It's irrelevant if Flacco is a great playoff performer if he can't get the job done in the regular season. 

He's absolutely going to have to play better, but the offense as a whole needs to do a better job next year. 10 points at M&T against one of the worst defenses in the league(Redskins), turnover in your side of the field in a game that I actually believe the defense played well in(Oakland), back-to-back turnovers vs NYJ(Worst team). 

Biscotti said the defense was just as liable as the offense this season, I think the defense is liable for the end of the season collapse but I don't think they're just as liable, they had guys hurt and that played into their season, I can't say the same for the offense who while had an OL that shifted around, still had games where they did well in pass protection but didn't produce a good offensive game. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elite Edge Rush and Receivers. Add a Julio/Odell to our team or a Von Miller/Khalil Mack and we probably win 2-3 more games. Healthy OL would have helped a ton as well. As we sit this offense, we are basically a talented WR and healthy OL away from a fearsome pass offense. Wallace and Perriman would make an outstanding #2 and #3 combo, but they just aren't #1 caliber guys.

Edited by ravensnick
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JEEPercreepermd said:

#1 reason that the Ravens didn't make the playoffs- They did not win enough games.

We have to blame people! Heads must roll!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ravensnick said:

Elite Edge Rush and Receivers. Add a Julio/Odell to our team or a Von Miller/Khalil Mack and we probably win 2-3 more games. Healthy OL would have helped a ton as well. As we sit this offense, we are basically a talented WR and healthy OL away from a fearsome pass offense. Wallace and Perriman would make an outstanding #2 and #3 combo, but they just aren't #1 caliber guys.

 

You could literally say this for every team in the NFL

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall situational coaching by Harbaugh and poor offensive play calling not utilizing offensive skills of players. QB play was sub-par, RBs not utilized adequately. No receivers stepped up big. Then as a dagger, we couldn't hold a lead if it were a feather in the finishing stages of a game because of poor substitutions by coaches that left the players too tired. But, mainly because Joe and the offense couldn't wait to get off the field on 3 and outs. Defense was forced to play too many snaps and by the time they needed to step up they were dog tired.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ellicottraven said:

Overall situational coaching by Harbaugh and poor offensive play calling not utilizing offensive skills of players. QB play was sub-par, RBs not utilized adequately. No receivers stepped up big. Then as a dagger, we couldn't hold a lead if it were a feather in the finishing stages of a game because of poor substitutions by coaches that left the players too tired. But, mainly because Joe and the offense couldn't wait to get off the field on 3 and outs. Defense was forced to play too many snaps and by the time they needed to step up they were dog tired.

Agreeing with you up until this point.

The Ravens had a very good rate at avoiding 3-and-outs. Of their 192 drives, only 35 ended in a 3-and-out, which is an 18.23% rate and good for 6th best in the league (LINK). That's in front of teams like the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, and even the Patriots who were bottom 6.

Also, the Ravens had a positive TOP on the year and were above-average (12th overall) for the league (LINK). The defense blowing leads had less to do with the offense and was more on their own failings. Losing Jimmy Smith really seemed to tank that unit and Pees could not adjust adequately - didn't help that some prolific offense came through, too.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, berad said:

Agreeing with you up until this point.

The Ravens had a very good rate at avoiding 3-and-outs. Of their 192 drives, only 35 ended in a 3-and-out, which is an 18.23% rate and good for 6th best in the league (LINK). That's in front of teams like the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, and even the Patriots who were bottom 6.

Also, the Ravens had a positive TOP on the year and were above-average (12th overall) for the league (LINK). The defense blowing leads had less to do with the offense and was more on their own failings. Losing Jimmy Smith really seemed to tank that unit and Pees could not adjust adequately - didn't help that some prolific offense came through, too.

Thanks for the links. I stand corrected on time of possession then. I could've sworn were terrible. I wonder if we could get stats for the 8 games we lost and how we fared on ToP in those games? I am probably still not completely off base perhaps?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, berad said:

Agreeing with you up until this point.

The Ravens had a very good rate at avoiding 3-and-outs. Of their 192 drives, only 35 ended in a 3-and-out, which is an 18.23% rate and good for 6th best in the league (LINK). That's in front of teams like the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, and even the Patriots who were bottom 6.

Also, the Ravens had a positive TOP on the year and were above-average (12th overall) for the league (LINK). The defense blowing leads had less to do with the offense and was more on their own failings. Losing Jimmy Smith really seemed to tank that unit and Pees could not adjust adequately - didn't help that some prolific offense came through, too.

I think the big issue on the offensive end was Red-zone scoring, I love Tucker but the offense made him look too good, they need to keep him off the field sometimes. 

I would like to point out that while the Ravens were good at avoiding 3 and outs, they surely did not do a good job of obtaining 1st downs ranking 26th in the league in that category, you can find all of the worst offensive teams in the league in that group. I think the issue is still the Ravens not being able to sustain Drives, especially in situations where they got good field position, something we saw too many times. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 9:04 PM, ellicottraven said:

Thanks for the links. I stand corrected on time of possession then. I could've sworn were terrible. I wonder if we could get stats for the 8 games we lost and how we fared on ToP in those games? I am probably still not completely off base perhaps?

You are going to end up losing ToP in games you lose because by the 4th quarter you are throwing more and they are running more.  If those numbers are not far below the Ravens season average then the other teams in the NFL have failed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2017 at 2:46 PM, ravensnick said:

Elite Edge Rush and Receivers. Add a Julio/Odell to our team or a Von Miller/Khalil Mack and we probably win 2-3 more games. Healthy OL would have helped a ton as well. As we sit this offense, we are basically a talented WR and healthy OL away from a fearsome pass offense. Wallace and Perriman would make an outstanding #2 and #3 combo, but they just aren't #1 caliber guys.

Add Aaron Rodgers on top of that and we might be a dynasty for years to come

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 9:04 PM, ellicottraven said:

Thanks for the links. I stand corrected on time of possession then. I could've sworn were terrible. I wonder if we could get stats for the 8 games we lost and how we fared on ToP in those games? I am probably still not completely off base perhaps?

 

On 2/24/2017 at 10:34 AM, Adreme said:

You are going to end up losing ToP in games you lose because by the 4th quarter you are throwing more and they are running more.  If those numbers are not far below the Ravens season average then the other teams in the NFL have failed.

I was looking for quarter-by-quarter TOP and 3-and-out stats but had no luck. Same too for strings of games. Outside of tallying it yourself, there might be nothing out there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2017 at 1:39 AM, PurpleCity5 said:

I think the big issue on the offensive end was Red-zone scoring, I love Tucker but the offense made him look too good, they need to keep him off the field sometimes. 

I would like to point out that while the Ravens were good at avoiding 3 and outs, they surely did not do a good job of obtaining 1st downs ranking 26th in the league in that category, you can find all of the worst offensive teams in the league in that group. I think the issue is still the Ravens not being able to sustain Drives, especially in situations where they got good field position, something we saw too many times. 

All of this is definitely true. Something they can hopefully improve on with a better running game and more commitment to it

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what the real # 1 reason was.

Me.

I predicted the team would go 10-6 and make it back to the playoffs. I jinxed them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2017 at 2:40 PM, berad said:

All of this is definitely true. Something they can hopefully improve on with a better running game and more commitment to it

A lot of that happened via stupid penalties and horrible short yardage play calls. More commitment to the ground attack which was actually doing well in the latter part of the season could have helped. I don't know how many times in a row we called for the stupid screen pass 3-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage to a covered up Juice because the team knew we were running that play...AGAIN.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad coaching=  Going for it in tight games (Chasing points) when we had the lead.  Not calling enough run plays when the running backs and O-line were doing a great job as a unit. Not stretching the field. Way to many check downs. 

Tight ends couldn't stay healthy or on the field.  Nick Boyle, Crockett, Watson. 

Overall I would have to say we need explosive play makers.  We have to many snails on the field at any given time. Im tired of running a dig and dunk offense.  I want to see some guys running  free in the secondary because they burned their man. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now