OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Who/What Was the #1 Top Reason For Missing Playoffs?

217 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Still don't really see the issue with accepting the penalty, unless all you're using for your evaluation is hindsight analysis. Have zero issue with asking your defense to not give up 17 yards on 3rd down in exchange for pushing a not-very-accurate FG kicker into a much more difficult kick to make.

I think it was a bad choice, but either way it didn't work out. The defense and offense both seemed to have issues with 3rd downs. 

15 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

we had the number 1 defense for the majority of the season, dont even try to pin it on them entirely, they blew the opportunity to cement themselves as the best defense in the league to get us in the playoffs, but they are the reason we were even in contention to begin with, without the defense we may be looking at a season even worse than 2015.  

early on, we had injuries, and an absolute nuthouse for a coaching staff. lord knows what the hell trestman was thinking, and marty did better but was far from what we needed. trestman deserved a good bit of blame for our early losses, harbaugh can be given a fair bit of blame for some losses, specifically oakland and any other game where we went for it on 4th down in field goal range repeatedly and failed. we had james worst starting at LT for a few weeks, we had a rookie 4th round LG starting at LT for a few weeks, our center was playing injured most of the year, our top 2 edge rushers played through season ending injuries, the cb that our defense is built on missed a considerable chunk of time(and no coincidence we got absoluely torched when he was out), our top receiver missed a few weeks, we had justin forsett for the first few weeks playing dismally and west hadnt gotten the reps to heat up, dixon was supposed to be our top back but was injured to start the season, our 3rd wr was injured and playing his first nfl reps, our qb was coming off of a torn ACL and had absolutely no time to drop back and pass and still led the league in pass attempts, we had things just really not go our way like mosley fumbling a foot away from the endzone for a touchback.

i mean seriously, it was an absolute disaster of a season and we managed to fall 1 game short of the playoffs and it appears that we really started to discover our problems and began to solve them, we got healthy on the line and kept together 1 unit for a month and they played well, we saw tons of promise from our future run game with dixon looking like a manchild out there, mike wallace has cemented himself as a legit option for us moving forward, breshad perriman showed flashes of why we drafted him and did so with limited opportunities and a laundry list of obstacles, ronnie stanley is a future pro bowl LT, joe flacco heated the hell up towards the end of the year and once again proved that he is an excellent qb when he isnt trying to throw while laying on the turf, matt judon and tavon young are studs and 2 of the biggest draft steals and fixtures on our defense moving forward, we have solved our safety problem for now, i think dean pees has proven(although many will say otherwise, disregarding that shareece wright and jerraud powers were our 2 and 3 at the end of the year) that he really could be the man for the job and that he and leslie frazier are a formidable duo, cj mosley and zach orr might be the best ILB tandem in the league. we have a LOT of reasons to feel optimistic moving forward, this season had the makings of an absolute disaster and we nearly pulled it off in the end. When it was all said and done, the 4 game slide(which happened largely due to bonehead calls, extremely unlucky plays, and injuries) and the injury of jimmy smith buried us and it was just too much to overcome for a team that honestly shouldnt have been that close to the playoffs to begin with. we overachieved based on the misfortune we faced all year, and we will be back.

I wonder what Belichek would have done? Was it coaching then to sum that book up?

You know how they say in baseball momentum is the next game's starting pitcher?  It's kinda like that.  In a very real sense, the #1 reason we missed the playoffs is because the defense gave up 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter in Pittsburgh.  If they had done their job in the most recent game against our biggest rival in the biggest situation of the season, then we would have won that game and we'd be in charge of the division right now headed to Cincy to play a severely diminished version of that team without our biggest thorn AJ Green on the field.  We'd be headed to the playoffs, don't you have ANY doubts about it.  The season was a struggle from start to finish.  We did enough up to about 1 minute remaining in the penultimate game of the year against our biggest rival to be in a position to be sitting there with a 9-6 record and 5-0 in the division including sweeping the Steelers, who would be sitting at 3-2 in the division, swept by us, and on the outside looking in.  But the defense gave the division to the Steelers.  It's really, when it comes down to it, as simple as that.

Now, I understand the point of looking at every single other thing that ALSO could have been different to get us into the playoffs, because diagnosing everything is what needs to be done in the offseason to have an even greater chance of success next year.

But the team was in a better position than Pittsburgh at about 7:30pm on Christmas night.  And the defense gave it all away (as they have done at record-setting pace in games in which we take the lead in the 4th quarter since last year!).

I am at a point where Dean Pees is the number one priority.  He must be fired.  We can't settle for this bend-but-break-anyway defense anymore.  His defense fails us at the critical moment OVER and OVER and OVER again.  Enough is enough.  As players started to get over injuries, as Mornhinweg got into his role a little bit more (remember, he took over mid-season at OC), as Flacco got his legs and confidence back, as some of our new starters this year (Wallace and Perriman) got their experience and chemistry a little bit under their belts with this team, what happened?  The offense started to improve.  They aren't getting enough credit for being top 10 in both yards and points since the bye week.  

And it could be significantly higher if not for wide receiver error.  

We have had an absurd amount of dropped passes including touchdowns over the past few games, plus a bunch of interceptions that were the direct result of wide receiver misplays.  Without those turnovers and with some more completed passes that would be caught by the more reliable wide receivers across the league, this offense would have put up even more stats and points.  But even without counting those caveats, the offense improved, and with the caveats I think it is enough that I'd prefer to give Marty another chance at OC next year.  Fact is, those players were in a position to move ball and put points on the boards.  That's all the OC can do.  And he did that.  The players just messed up on their end of the bargain more often than I'd have liked to have seen.  I don't pin that on the OC.  If it comes down to keeping Pees or Marty... I want to keep Marty.  It's insanity to keep with Pees and keep expecting different results.  If we ask his defense to protect a 1-score lead with more than a minute or so on the clock, his defense WILL give it up.  That's just the way it is.

Edited by callahan09

9 hours ago, Wildabeast88 said:

My biggest issue is Pees propensity of playing prevent and playing it way to soon I get if we are up 14 with 2 minutes left but not up 21-0 at the beginning of the 4th quarter or up 10 with 8 minutes to play. If we stayed in our base D we probably don't fold up like a cheap folding chair and we could be talking about going to the playoffs. I know there was an earlier thread about the prevent I just think he goes to it to early and allows our aging pass rushers to get worn down with the rest of our D by being on the field for extended periods of time in hurry up offenses. My other issue is if what you do for 3 quarters works why change to sometehing where we get gashed up and down the field for an entire quarter.

But this has nothing to do with Pees. Its not even about Pees.

Its about me making sure that fans understand what kind of DC Rex Ryan is, what kind of scheme he runs, and the major drawbacks that come from doing so.

If you're looking for a new DC who has the ability to adapt their scheme to fit the talent of the personnel on the team, then it is EXTREMELY difficult to advocate for hiring Rex Ryan.

I'm not interested in having the 10,000th discussion about the things fans don't like about Pees. I've heard them all. Some of the points are valid, most of them are myths based on what fans THINK they see on gameday but don't actually see, mostly coming from something they saw him do other times in unrelated games.

You simply can't as a reasonable person complain about a certain aspect of Pees "gameplan" that you don't like and then simultaneously want a different coach who has similar issues to be the next DC. It just doesn't make any sense.

10 hours ago, callahan09 said:

You know how they say in baseball momentum is the next game's starting pitcher?  It's kinda like that.  In a very real sense, the #1 reason we missed the playoffs is because the defense gave up 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter in Pittsburgh.  If they had done their job in the most recent game against our biggest rival in the biggest situation of the season, then we would have won that game and we'd be in charge of the division right now headed to Cincy to play a severely diminished version of that team without our biggest thorn AJ Green on the field.  We'd be headed to the playoffs, don't you have ANY doubts about it.  The season was a struggle from start to finish.  We did enough up to about 1 minute remaining in the penultimate game of the year against our biggest rival to be in a position to be sitting there with a 9-6 record and 5-0 in the division including sweeping the Steelers, who would be sitting at 3-2 in the division, swept by us, and on the outside looking in.  But the defense gave the division to the Steelers.  It's really, when it comes down to it, as simple as that.

Now, I understand the point of looking at every single other thing that ALSO could have been different to get us into the playoffs, because diagnosing everything is what needs to be done in the offseason to have an even greater chance of success next year.

But the team was in a better position than Pittsburgh at about 7:30pm on Christmas night.  And the defense gave it all away (as they have done at record-setting pace in games in which we take the lead in the 4th quarter since last year!).

I am at a point where Dean Pees is the number one priority.  He must be fired.  We can't settle for this bend-but-break-anyway defense anymore.  His defense fails us at the critical moment OVER and OVER and OVER again.  Enough is enough.  As players started to get over injuries, as Mornhinweg got into his role a little bit more (remember, he took over mid-season at OC), as Flacco got his legs and confidence back, as some of our new starters this year (Wallace and Perriman) got their experience and chemistry a little bit under their belts with this team, what happened?  The offense started to improve.  They aren't getting enough credit for being top 10 in both yards and points since the bye week.  

We have had an absurd amount of dropped passes including touchdowns over the past few games, plus a bunch of interceptions that were the direct result of wide receiver misplays.  Without those turnovers and with some more completed passes that would be caught by the more reliable wide receivers across the league, this offense would have put up even more stats and points.  But even without counting those caveats, the offense improved, and with the caveats I think it is enough that I'd prefer to give Marty another chance at OC next year.  Fact is, those players were in a position to move ball and put points on the boards.  That's all the OC can do.  And he did that.  The players just messed up on their end of the bargain more often than I'd have liked to have seen.  I don't pin that on the OC.  If it comes down to keeping Pees or Marty... I want to keep Marty.  It's insanity to keep with Pees and keep expecting different results.  If we ask his defense to protect a 1-score lead with more than a minute or so on the clock, his defense WILL give it up.  That's just the way it is.

Totally agree. Not sure why people don't get that what matters most is what you do at the end of the game, that's when games are won or lost. The team that has the most points when the clock reads 00:00 is the winner. Speculating on the "what ifs" is useless, because if you change anything prior it means changing everything else that happened. TDs instead of field goals don't add up to a guarantee of more points than your opponent at the end of the game. 

For many years now our D has been putrid at crunch time. I've been one to say that it's not the fault of the DC or scheme, but have blamed it on poor player execution. I still believe that's mostly the case, but something has to change, just for the sake of change because the defensive collapses have to end. 

Edited by Tank 92

Single factor, I don't know however, I do know Flacco's poor play and awful decision making coupled w/ his multiple interceptions played a huge role in the Ravens missing the playoffs.  A very uneventful, crappy season and I suspect with Flacco as QB next year will be more of the same for he hasn't shown us much to suggest otherwise.  He needs to perfect his craft or get out of the league.

4 hours ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

I wonder what Belichek would have done? Was it coaching then to sum that book up?

no, amazing you can read all that and still not come within a mile of the point i was trying to make. 

8 hours ago, jboy19 said:

I think it was a bad choice, but either way it didn't work out. The defense and offense both seemed to have issues with 3rd downs. 

when shareece wright is on the field, you take every break you get. he is going to give up a ton of big plays, all the offense has to do is target him enough times. giving them another chance to pick on shareece wright is a good way to lose.

Coaching

we needed to just be smart and make some adjustments, which we didn't and it came back to bite us

were not in the top tier, when we were in scraps with the redskins, raiders, jets, Giants a few minor adjustments could have changed those results 

got hurst getting gobbled up all day against the raiders, get another man in there to help

just basic stuff, do what you need to, to get a w and move on

that 4 game stretch and the coaching was the season right there

14 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

no, amazing you can read all that and still not come within a mile of the point i was trying to make. 

I see 4th quarter defensive fails, and when we go prevent zone in 4th quarter and lose over and over again, its coaching.....bend and break

Todays game really brought to light some glaring problems on our team....When announcers ask "what happened to the Ravens pass rush?....and Why do the Ravens dbacks play so far off the ball? And What happened to the defense the last 4 games?" 

I think that speaks to the D C for sure, and I believe its time to bring in a new Defensive mind. Someone who can look at the pieces of the chessboard a different way, and have those chess pieces prove themselves worthy. 

Well, over 250 days till the 2017 season starts. Next up- nearly 4 full months of mock drafts and speculation. 

So many issues. 

Coaching is number one. Players in the NFL are all talented,and the next man up mentality should be the way. Hate to say it but the Pats are always in the mix, as their injured players are replaced well. Many dumb penalties all over the place, that is lack of discipline, taught by coaches. This cost us crucial yards when we were driving in several games. Play calling is horrible, me and my 80 year old mother know they will hand off up the middle on almost every first down,no matter what field position. If that is the way, OPEN up a hole for West or Dixon to make a play. Those guys will both be good for us, if we figure out how to use them correctly.

Scoring TDs is essential to wins. It seems impossible for us to get there. Flacco has a rocket arm, get a burner who can catch the ball. Sadly, Perriman isn't that guy, way too many drops. Steelers have superstars, Brown, Bell and Ben, they made things happen, and we did not. 

Defense is still our strong point, but they collapse in the fourth quarter. Are they tired because the offense goes 3 and out so much? Again, it's a rough game, but coaching is needed to get these guys up for four quarters.

Was so looking forward to another winning season, going to playoffs, this team breaks my heart again. 

We are spoiled here, used to a winner,it could be much worse,many really dysfunctional, poorly run teams, we are not.

let's get it together next year, big time.

The Baltimore Ravens coaching staff is the sole #1 reason the Ravens missed the playoffs again. They failed to scheme and put players in a position to succeed on BOTH sides of the football. Praise be to the good Lord that I am not Steve Biscotti because the entire coaching staff would be burned up on Black Monday.

1 hour ago, robbie29 said:

Well, over 250 days till the 2017 season starts. Next up- nearly 4 full months of mock drafts and speculation. 

How fun 

15 minutes ago, Greatness said:

Praise be to the good Lord that I am not Steve Biscotti .

Man I would be a TERRIBLE owner.  

I don't doubt that Steve has a lot on his mind right now.  He is a very smart and shrewd businessman who is also compassionate.  That is an amazingly difficult balance.  

1 hour ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

Todays game really brought to light some glaring problems on our team....When announcers ask "what happened to the Ravens pass rush?....and Why do the Ravens dbacks play so far off the ball? And What happened to the defense the last 4 games?" 

I think that speaks to the D C for sure, and I believe its time to bring in a new Defensive mind. Someone who can look at the pieces of the chessboard a different way, and have those chess pieces prove themselves worthy. 

yeah, its an overall degrade of talent. its not all on the coaches, you coach what you have, but the coaching ain't been good eitehr

20 minutes ago, Greatness said:

The Baltimore Ravens coaching staff is the sole #1 reason the Ravens missed the playoffs again. They failed to scheme and put players in a position to succeed on BOTH sides of the football. Praise be to the good Lord that I am not Steve Biscotti because the entire coaching staff would be burned up on Black Monday.

if its not scorched earth, i'll be both stunned and disappointed. we have to begin again

On 12/31/2016 at 10:56 AM, Tank 92 said:

No kidding. Excruciatingly cruel result. If Weddle is 10 pounds heavier or a bit more physical Brown get's pushed back. Though in the end it was just a great effort from Brown. 

And the game ends because pitt doesn't have enough time  on the clock to run another play.

20 minutes ago, RavensFanMania said:

And the game ends because pitt doesn't have enough time  on the clock to run another play.

yep.  And the convo is much different around here after the probable victory in cincy.

55 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

yep.  And the convo is much different around here after the probable victory in cincy.

That is a bit bold of a statement Tank92  Not only did we get beat at Cincy we took a beating in all phases of the game. And that is with quite a few of their best players out. We were the red headed step child in that game. They came out to play and prove a point and it surely was made.

I do not think coaching is the sole blame here. you can only teach so much, it is how the players react in clutch situations and we did not fair so well. We shot ourselves in the foot many times on the field. The team needs a leader on both sides of the ball. Ray would have lit some tails up the way our D played. On offense Joe in an average QB and surely not a leader nor do i think he wants to be.

This dismal season has to be owned by the entire organization from Steve B down to the water boy. lol

1 hour ago, nextgen_RavensFan said:

We were the red headed step child in that game.

I think that was Andy Dalton actually....

2 hours ago, nextgen_RavensFan said:

That is a bit bold of a statement Tank92  Not only did we get beat at Cincy we took a beating in all phases of the game. And that is with quite a few of their best players out. We were the red headed step child in that game. They came out to play and prove a point and it surely was made.

I do not think coaching is the sole blame here. you can only teach so much, it is how the players react in clutch situations and we did not fair so well. We shot ourselves in the foot many times on the field. The team needs a leader on both sides of the ball. Ray would have lit some tails up the way our D played. On offense Joe in an average QB and surely not a leader nor do i think he wants to be.

This dismal season has to be owned by the entire organization from Steve B down to the water boy. lol

sorry, but blah blah blah......... Ravens go to Cincinnati with the playoffs on the line they smoke red rocket and the striped guys.  Own that!   lol

Edited by Tank 92

On 12/31/2016 at 9:50 PM, Tank 92 said:

Totally agree. Not sure why people don't get that what matters most is what you do at the end of the game, that's when games are won or lost. The team that has the most points when the clock reads 00:00 is the winner. Speculating on the "what ifs" is useless, because if you change anything prior it means changing everything else that happened. TDs instead of field goals don't add up to a guarantee of more points than your opponent at the end of the game. 

For many years now our D has been putrid at crunch time. I've been one to say that it's not the fault of the DC or scheme, but have blamed it on poor player execution. I still believe that's mostly the case, but something has to change, just for the sake of change because the defensive collapses have to end. 

On 12/31/2016 at 9:02 PM, rmcjacket23 said:

But this has nothing to do with Pees. Its not even about Pees.

Its about me making sure that fans understand what kind of DC Rex Ryan is, what kind of scheme he runs, and the major drawbacks that come from doing so.

If you're looking for a new DC who has the ability to adapt their scheme to fit the talent of the personnel on the team, then it is EXTREMELY difficult to advocate for hiring Rex Ryan.

I'm not interested in having the 10,000th discussion about the things fans don't like about Pees. I've heard them all. Some of the points are valid, most of them are myths based on what fans THINK they see on gameday but don't actually see, mostly coming from something they saw him do other times in unrelated games.

You simply can't as a reasonable person complain about a certain aspect of Pees "gameplan" that you don't like and then simultaneously want a different coach who has similar issues to be the next DC. It just doesn't make any sense.

So then both of you must blame Flacco for the loss to the Pats 2 years ago right?  Only the end matters, or something...

Sorry @rmcjacket23... quoted wrong person.

Edited by redrum52

1.) Injury bug was in full effect and you never realize how effective a handful of players can be. 

2.) lack of a pass rush late in games. We need someone opposite Judon so we can only utilize Suggs and Doom in 3rd down situations. 

3.) our offense is so predictable that even my gf can tell me the type of play before it happens. If I ever have to see that draw play from the shotgun again I swear. 

4,) plays dos not break for us. Many coaching decisions. I was at the Raiders game and electing to take the penalty instead of letting them kick the field goal was dumb. The Giants goal line stand from a 1st and 3 to go. 0 creativity. The fake FG🙄 

On December 31, 2016 at 3:43 AM, rmcjacket23 said:

Obviously that's not even remotely true.

We ranked 23rd in the league in YPC. A team that was highly effective at running the ball and just wasn't running it enough would have a high YPC average with low total rushing totals.

We were 28th in rushing attempts and 23rd in rushing effectiveness.

Teams like Chicago, Green Bay and especially Cleveland can complain about poor utilization... they were all top 10 in rushing effectiveness (YPC) and yet were in the bottom five in total rush attempts. Those are teams that were good at running the football but didn't run it often enough.

Not something the Ravens can legitimately complain about.

True and not true. One can argue that it's not like the running game was averaging 5 yards a carry and we just abandoned it. And that's so true because we were 23rd in YPC after all. But I think it's fair to say that we under utilized the run being 28th in attempts.

when you compare those stats to our passing game, we were bottom 5 in yards per attempt and top 5 in passes attempted. Now that's what one could call a lack of desire to run the ball.

when you step back and look at the big picture, it's definitely a lack of commitment to the run. There were so many times where we could have run and should have run but decided to pass pass pass. There were several times where we just abandoned the run when we had 1 or 2 bad runs. An on the other hand we'd have consecutive 3 and outs and continue to force passes when that same line that can't run block can't pass block and we end up with holding calls and interceptions. 

On 12/31/2016 at 9:56 PM, Wisdom said:

Single factor, I don't know however, I do know Flacco's poor play and awful decision making coupled w/ his multiple interceptions played a huge role in the Ravens missing the playoffs.  A very uneventful, crappy season and I suspect with Flacco as QB next year will be more of the same for he hasn't shown us much to suggest otherwise.  He needs to perfect his craft or get out of the league.

Agreed!

I have towed the Flacco is Elite mentality for years now.  After the last few seasons, I really don't think Flacco cares.  Never see him upset or fired up, I know "ice in his veins" and "Joe-Cool", but I'm over it.  Even an icy personality will get mad or vent once in awhile. They say "beware the wrath of a patient man", when do we see Flacco's wrath? 

I honestly believe most of our problems start with Joe just not working hard at his position.  Sure a few years ago with GOAT as his MLB and Reed getting him the ball back, Joe was able to get something done and cashed in.  Since then he has gone belly up.  Look at his mechanics, back foot throws, can't even get the ball past the line of scrimmage and out of bounds to avoid intentional grounding.  This is just a uninterested QB that is happy to count his money, raise his family, and move on from football soon as the contract is up. 

Move on from Flacco sooner than later and this team has hope.  Stay with him and we will continue to see bone head plays on the upswing.  Mallett is next man up, and not letting him play until <3 minutes left in Pittsburgh was a mistake. 

Edited by Neal Could Block the SUN!!
typo

On 12/31/2016 at 7:03 PM, callahan09 said:

Drops have been maddening once again 

The #1 issue with this team is inconsistency at the QB position and having injury prone guys in positions of major importance (whether due to age or just truly being injury prone).

Flacco needs to simply play better in the regular season. There are a handful of games a season where Flacco looks lost and basically hands the other team the game on a platter. He makes too much money to be doing that.

In regards to the injuries: In the NFL today two of the most important positions on a defense are CB and OLB. We have Jimmy who is an annual injury prone player. Has never played 16 games. Solution; draft or stack free agent signings here. The FO always leaves this group thinking they are fine and the inevitable happens with Jimmy and we find ourselves getting torched. 

OLB; This needs to be our first round pick and I don't think I will get much argument there. We NEED an every down OLB. Suggs and Doom can not be relied on. Suggs is hurt annually due to his age and Doom is in the same category. We have too many backups that can do one thing or the other (rush the passer and poor in run D or vice versa).