OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Who/What Was the #1 Top Reason For Missing Playoffs?

222 posts in this topic

Drive killing penalties (most of which we were guilty of, not just the refs being bad), and collapses in the fourth quarter.

Lack of quality depth. Our 4 game losing streak came when Stanley, Lewis, Yanda were in various configs of hurt. Our Oline sucked and so did our offense as a whole. Case and Point the Jets game.

Then you have the Giants game when Jimmy was shutting down OBJ for 2+ quarters before leaving and then we get smoked. Then we get beat by the Jets without Jimmy. Then we get beat by Dallas without Jimmy. Almost lose to Cincy without Jimmy. Almost lose to philly without Jimmy. Choke vs Pit without Jimmy.

We need quality depth and alot of the guys we have just aren't cutting it.

Not to mention our 2 best pass rushers playing hurt most of the year, Suggs with a tore bicep or Doom of an ACL is better than our depth most of the time? No wonder we got little pash rush when it was needed most.

14 hours ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Bell was a bigger issue in this previous game than Brown.

In the game as a whole, yes. But was just commenting per the title of the topic. Brown doesn't reach the ball across the goal line the Ravens still have a chance at the playoffs.

Edited by Tank 92

1 minute ago, Tank 92 said:

In the game as a whole, yes. But was just commenting per the title of the topic. Brown doesn't reach the ball across the goal line the Ravens are in the playoffs.

Still have no idea how Weddle, Powers, and Mosley could not bring him down.

I rarely blamed coaches in the past but this season is a prime example of how poor coaching can cause loses. They all seemed to take turns in deciding the outcomes too. Some games Harbaugh didnt take points when he probably should have, other times the OC couldn't figure out the best run/pass balance and then there were the blown leads where the DC played scared instead of sticking with what worked the first 3 quarters. It was a group effort by our coaching staff.

51 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Still have no idea how Weddle, Powers, and Mosley could not bring him down.

No kidding. Excruciatingly cruel result. If Weddle is 10 pounds heavier or a bit more physical Brown get's pushed back. Though in the end it was just a great effort from Brown. 

38 minutes ago, ByTheBay said:

I rarely blamed coaches in the past but this season is a prime example of how poor coaching can cause loses. They all seemed to take turns in deciding the outcomes too. Some games Harbaugh didnt take points when he probably should have, other times the OC couldn't figure out the best run/pass balance and then there were the blown leads where the DC played scared instead of sticking with what worked the first 3 quarters. It was a group effort by our coaching staff.

Well that and some significant personnel deficiencies. Nobody realistically thinks we had the talent to be SB contenders, especially on offense.

There's a very wide gap in offensive skill and talent between us and some of the better teams in this league, and it showed in the games that we played them.

And the "Harbaugh not taking points" thing is sort of a myth. There's about two total instances in the whole season where you could make that case, and there's also no guarantee that taking the points even remotely results in a different outcome. In some of the examples of instances where John didn't take points that other people have posted about, we actually end up winning those games and/or passing up a FG resulted in us scoring a FG or a TD later based on that decision.

17 hours ago, Willbacker said:

4th qtr collapses. How I would solve that problem? I would grab a certain DC by the belt loops and do a 1.....2.....3 heave and see how far he can fly.

Winner right here. Thread done right? Come on home Rex

4 minutes ago, Wildabeast88 said:

Winner right here. Thread done right? Come on home Rex

Yeah no thanks. Would rather have a coach who's defenses are actually productive in the modern NFL.

1 hour ago, Tank 92 said:

In the game as a whole, yes. But was just commenting per the title of the topic. Brown doesn't reach the ball across the goal line the Ravens are in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh would still have had at least 9 seconds to try gain 6 inches, and maybe more if Bell had been tackled with 10 or 11 seconds left.

Plus Baltimore would still face another elimination game in Cincinnati, where they have not won in 5 years.

The last several years Harbaugh has left points on the board by going for 4th downs fake FGs and our lack of execution. The biggest issue was Jimmy being hurt we only lost 2 games with him if I remember correctly Oakland and Washington I can't remember if he played Jets game. Also a consistent theme was penalties drive killers(Zuttah) 

1. Jimmy Smith injuries

2. Pees prevent D see both Steeler games we shut them out for 3 quarters and implode in the 4th.

3. O-line injuries/penalties

4. Lack of pass rush

5 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Yeah no thanks. Would rather have a coach who's defenses are actually productive in the modern NFL.

I would rather have a guy who doesn't change how he plays after 3 quarters of success into something that doesn't work. Both games Brown was shut down for 3 quarters and let loose to run free through the secondary in the 4th quarter of both games. 

Theres just so many little things. Taking the penalty against Oakland that gave them a 3rd Down (which was converted and led to a TD) instead of declining and taking the 4th Down. Losing Jimmy against the Giants and watching OBJ go off. Playing the Jets (with their stacked DL) without Yanda or Stanley. The Redskins turnover/turnover disaster.  

Its just hard to point to any big problem. The offense wasn't great but that tends to happen when the team makes a midseason OC change. The defense struggled a little late in the season. Either way, things are looking good for the team going forward. Going from 5-11 to 8-8/9-7 in one season is definitely a good sign. 

Rex when he ran the D was better than when his brother Rob ran it this year. Some guys are better coordinators than head coaches(Norv Turner) 

1 minute ago, Wildabeast88 said:

I would rather have a guy who doesn't change how he plays after 3 quarters of success into something that doesn't work. Both games Brown was shut down for 3 quarters and let loose to run free through the secondary in the 4th quarter of both games. 

LOL, you're trading one DC who changes too much for a DC who never adapts to anything.

When Rex Ryan's defenses are getting shredded in the first half, they do the same thing in the second half that they did in the first half.  He literally doesn't believe that there is a method to beat the schemes that they run, despite a gigantic mountain of evidence telling him just the opposite.

1 minute ago, Wildabeast88 said:

Rex when he ran the D was better than when his brother Rob ran it this year. Some guys are better coordinators than head coaches(Norv Turner) 

They run the exact same defense. They learned it from the exact same person and think the exact same way.

Teams like playing against the Ryan's on offense. 

Some guys were never great coordinators and just were just average/good coordinators with exceptionally talented personnel. 

6 minutes ago, jboy19 said:

Theres just so many little things. Taking the penalty against Oakland that gave them a 3rd Down (which was converted and led to a TD) instead of declining and taking the 4th Down. Losing Jimmy against the Giants and watching OBJ go off. Playing the Jets (with their stacked DL) without Yanda or Stanley. The Redskins turnover/turnover disaster.  

Its just hard to point to any big problem. The offense wasn't great but that tends to happen when the team makes a midseason OC change. The defense struggled a little late in the season. Either way, things are looking good for the team going forward. Going from 5-11 to 8-8/9-7 in one season is definitely a good sign. 

Still don't really see the issue with accepting the penalty, unless all you're using for your evaluation is hindsight analysis. Have zero issue with asking your defense to not give up 17 yards on 3rd down in exchange for pushing a not-very-accurate FG kicker into a much more difficult kick to make.

5 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

LOL, you're trading one DC who changes too much for a DC who never adapts to anything.

When Rex Ryan's defenses are getting shredded in the first half, they do the same thing in the second half that they did in the first half.  He literally doesn't believe that there is a method to beat the schemes that they run, despite a gigantic mountain of evidence telling him just the opposite.

We aren't exactly great at making adjustments either Edelman's 5 yard slants that were open every play. Witten running open across the middle the entire Dallas game. Ryan Matthews gnashing us the entire game. Crabtree and CoreyColeman abusing Wright for an entire game 

Edited by Wildabeast88

Just now, Wildabeast88 said:

We aren't exactly great at making adjustments either Edelman's 5 yard slants that were open every play. Written running open across the middle the entire Dallas game. Ryan Matthews gnashing us the entire game. Crabtree and CoreyColeman abusing Wright for an entire game 

OK, and?

So we're not great at making adjustments, and you're solution to that issue is to bring back a DC (who likely wants nothing to do with being a coordinator and definitely not being one in Baltimore) who is notorious for not making adjustments?

Explain to me what problem we are solving there?

If you honestly want to know what I think about this concept... I think fans want Rex back because they like to see us blitz a lot. He's has a (sometimes false) stigma of being an "aggressive" coordinator. I honestly don't even think fans care if that brand of football is effective or not, and judging by what I've seen when he's led more talented units, its not as effective. 

I think the people that want Rex Ryan back just want him back so that they can see we are aggressive again. I don't think they really care whether that aggressiveness converts into actually stopping teams from scoring.

15 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

OK, and?

So we're not great at making adjustments, and you're solution to that issue is to bring back a DC (who likely wants nothing to do with being a coordinator and definitely not being one in Baltimore) who is notorious for not making adjustments?

If you honestly want to know what I think about this concept... I think fans want Rex back because they like to see us blitz a lot. He's has a (sometimes false) stigma of being an "aggressive" coordinator. I honestly don't even think fans care if that brand of football is effective or not, and judging by what I've seen when he's led more talented units, its not as effective. 

I think the people that want Rex Ryan back just want him back so that they can see we are aggressive again. I don't think they really care whether that aggressiveness converts into actually stopping teams from scoring.

My biggest issue is Pees propensity of playing prevent and playing it way to soon I get if we are up 14 with 2 minutes left but not up 21-0 at the beginning of the 4th quarter or up 10 with 8 minutes to play. If we stayed in our base D we probably don't fold up like a cheap folding chair and we could be talking about going to the playoffs. I know there was an earlier thread about the prevent I just think he goes to it to early and allows our aging pass rushers to get worn down with the rest of our D by being on the field for extended periods of time in hurry up offenses. My other issue is if what you do for 3 quarters works why change to sometehing where we get gashed up and down the field for an entire quarter.

Edited by Wildabeast88

16 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

OK, and?

Those Rex defenses struggled mightily against some of these same qbs with much better talent.

4 minutes ago, Wildabeast88 said:

My biggest issue is Pees propensity of play prevent and playing it way to soon I get if we are up 14 with 2 minutes left but not up 21-0 at the beginning of the 4th quarter or up 10 with 8 minutes to play. If we stayed in our base D we probably don't fold up like a cheap folding chair and we could be talking about going to the playoffs. I know there was an earlier thread about the prevent I just think he goes to it to early and allows our aging pass rushers to get worn down with the rest of our D. My other issue is if what you do for 3 quarters works why change to something where we get gashed up and down the field for an entire quarter.

Rewatch that last few defensive drives of that game and tell me if he was playing prevent the whole time...

Edited by redrum52

29 minutes ago, darklight1216 said:

Pittsburgh would still have had at least 9 seconds to try gain 6 inches, and maybe more if Bell had been tackled with 10 or 11 seconds left.

Plus Baltimore would still face another elimination game in Cincinnati, where they have not won in 5 years.

Pittsburgh would have had zero seconds because they had no TOs and I doubt could have gotten lined up in time to clock the ball.  And if they could they would have kicked a FG to tie.  Bell? Not sure what you are talking about.

True, the Ravens would have had to win this week to get in, but I think you get the idea.  <_<   Brown's effort is what booted the Ravens from the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, redrum52 said:

Rewatch that last few defensive drives of that game and tell me if he was playing prevent the whole time...

Stat from Sportscenter. 1st 3 quarters Bell and Brown 22 touches for 122 yards 0 TDs

4th quarter 11 touches for 121 yards 3 TDs. Something obviously changed and was not accounted for