• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

Who/What Was the #1 Top Reason For Missing Playoffs?

200 posts in this topic

Obviously too many losses caused us to miss playoffs again, but who or what was the top reason we missed them?

- Was it Joe, too many picks?

- Was it the OC's bad Play Calling? Or lack of a running game?

- Was it Harbaughs head scratching decisions not to take points in several tight games causing losses, like the fake fg for example?

- Was it the Defense, again this year (3rd year in a row) not being able to hold a 4th quarter lead?

- Was it the DC Prevent Zone scheme causing the blown leads?

- Was it the sparce drafts Ozzie has given us the last several years, not hitting on many 1-3rd round draft picks?

Everybody is fussing on details in other threads, I am looking for the #1 TOP REASON we missed the playoffs again, why you think that way, and how you would fix the problem?

4th qtr collapses. How I would solve that problem? I would grab a certain DC by the belt loops and do a 1.....2.....3 heave and see how far he can fly.

2 minutes ago, Willbacker said:

4th qtr collapses. How I would solve that problem? I would grab a certain DC by the belt loops and do a 1.....2.....3 heave and see how far he can fly.

I doubt much more than a coupla'  feet.

It's impossible to blame one single thing, there's a litany of reasons why we lost games.

Raiders game we had Hurst at LT and unsurprisingly Mack dominated. Also poor coaching decisions and they constantly had great field position because our punt coverage team was garbage early in the season.

Offense is to blame for the Redskins loss, defense did their job holding them to 9 pts + their punt return TD. Redskins D struggled all year and Trestman abandoned the run while West was putting 8 yds/carry - the game that finally got Trestman kicked out of town.

Lost against the Giants mainly because Jimmy went down halfway through. Can't blame the offense entirely because the Giants D is legit.

Lost the Jets game mainly due to injuries. Mosley, Suggs, Stanley, Yanda, and Steve Smith. the Defense was just manhandled without Suggs and Mosley.

...and so on. There isn't one single reason why we lost games, each loss had their own story and at the end of the day, I think trying to just blame one specific person or unit or whatever is just counterproductive.

Edited by hn68wb4

10 minutes ago, Moderator 3 said:

I don't think you can assign a primary reason.  Each loss had its own issues.

True that but offense was weak for the first 3/4 of the season and lacked an identity let alone one that meshed with the talent on the team...coach says he wants to run the ball the next week we proceed to throw 40+ passes and almost criminally just didn't want to run it. Offense was a mess all year no other way to spin it, they did get a coach fired before the bye

Edited by Glen1024

1 hour ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

Obviously too many losses caused us to miss playoffs again, but who or what was the top reason we missed them?

- Was it the OC's bad Play Calling? Or lack of a running game?

- Was it Harbaughs head scratching decisions not to take points in several tight games causing losses, like the fake fg for example?

- Was it the Defense, again this year (3rd year in a row) not being able to hold a 4th quarter lead?

- Was it the DC Prevent Zone scheme causing the blown leads?

- Was it the sparce drafts Ozzie has given us the last several years, not hitting on many 1-3rd round draft picks?

Everybody is fussing on details in other threads, I am looking for the #1 TOP REASON we missed the playoffs again, why you think that way, and how you would fix the problem?

We had a running game, we had it all year. We just didn't utilize it to it's fullest.

Edited by ravensnj

-Lack of pass rush of any form 

-Flacco being completely rusty first half of year. Team goes as Flacco does 

So much went wrong for the Ravens in 2016 so one thing or person can be blamed. 

I think one of the biggest issues was that for the 2nd straight season injuries really hurt this team. That 4 game stretch where the Ravens were without 6-7 pro bowl caliber players really hurt because it came at a point in the season when even the guys like Flacco, Dixon and Wagner who were on the field weren't quite fully recovered from Injury.  Now there are things in that 4 game losing streak that can be pointed out like the offense in a funk, Harbs maybe being too aggressive at times, the defense collapsing and boneheaded penalties at costly times, but I think those injuries might have ranked above all. 

1 hour ago, OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL said:

i would say the top 3 are :

- lack of a running game due to  the OC's bad Play Calling? 

-  DC Prevent Zone scheme causing the blown leads?

-   Harbaughs head scratching decisions not to take points in several tight games causing losses, like the fake fg for example?

Biggest things not in order...

1. Playcalling: I like aggressive playcalling, but we weren't smart about it. Running the ball was effective, but way to predictable a lot of the time. The occasional pitch play was nice, but most runs were up the middle or right into the defense. I think more weak side runs or stretch running plays would've helped take some pressure off the passing game. Passing calls were pretty bad. Many routes has receivers stopping and changing direction at bad angles or they didn't open up the field at all. Plus, we didn't adjust well at all.

2. In-game decisions: I liked some of Harbaughs aggressive decisions, but they didn't pay off. They really came back to haunt us. Mosley's decision to stretch for the endzone on his interception was probably the worst of all. He doesn't fumble, and we most likely win that game and are playing for a playoff spot this week. Jernigan's decision to return the fumble was okay, but he didn't protect the ball at all. He would've been better going down. There's a lot of examples to go over, but football IQ is something we need to do better with.

3. Prevent Defense in the 4th Quarter. Look at both of the Steelers games. We needed to get stops at the end of games.

4. Lack of a pass rush. This can be fixed, but it really helped extend drives for the other team.

There's more reasons, but these are what came to mind.

54 minutes ago, ravensnj said:

We had a running game, we had it all year. We just didn't utilize it to it's fullest.

Obviously that's not even remotely true.

We ranked 23rd in the league in YPC. A team that was highly effective at running the ball and just wasn't running it enough would have a high YPC average with low total rushing totals.

We were 28th in rushing attempts and 23rd in rushing effectiveness.

Teams like Chicago, Green Bay and especially Cleveland can complain about poor utilization... they were all top 10 in rushing effectiveness (YPC) and yet were in the bottom five in total rush attempts. Those are teams that were good at running the football but didn't run it often enough.

Not something the Ravens can legitimately complain about.

2 hours ago, Sherly_Tebow said:

There's a lot of examples to go over, but football IQ is something we need to do better with.

This.

Ever watch coach Belicheck? He has a pencil and paper taking notes after almost every play, cause he is figuring out how he is gonna kick your butt.

Sadly, 

Not what we get on our sideline.

3 hours ago, Sherly_Tebow said:

Biggest things not in order...

1. Playcalling: I like aggressive playcalling, but we weren't smart about it. Running the ball was effective, but way to predictable a lot of the time. The occasional pitch play was nice, but most runs were up the middle or right into the defense. I think more weak side runs or stretch running plays would've helped take some pressure off the passing game. Passing calls were pretty bad. Many routes has receivers stopping and changing direction at bad angles or they didn't open up the field at all. Plus, we didn't adjust well at all.

2. In-game decisions: I liked some of Harbaughs aggressive decisions, but they didn't pay off. They really came back to haunt us. Mosley's decision to stretch for the endzone on his interception was probably the worst of all. He doesn't fumble, and we most likely win that game and are playing for a playoff spot this week. Jernigan's decision to return the fumble was okay, but he didn't protect the ball at all. He would've been better going down. There's a lot of examples to go over, but football IQ is something we need to do better with.

3. Prevent Defense in the 4th Quarter. Look at both of the Steelers games. We needed to get stops at the end of games.

4. Lack of a pass rush. This can be fixed, but it really helped extend drives for the other team.

There's more reasons, but these are what came to mind.

I agree with this completely! We were way too predictable in many facets of the game. I think Marty did a good job down the stretch but did not get enough time to incorporate his offence.

Mosley's decision to go for the pick 6 not only cost us the game but also landed him on the sidelines--a double whammy that hurt us. The score was 13-10 WASH at that point and we were 3-1. We lost 16-10. If Mosley punches it in and doesn't get injured, we win that game and are 4-1 heading to New York with our Pro Bowl LB.

Two weeks later, Jernigan's fumble also cost us the Jet's game. The score was 17-16 JETs at that time. We win that game, and we are 5-2 heading into the BYE week.

After the BYE week, we went 5-3, which would hypothetically leave us at 10-5 going into this week, which probably get's us in. I bet if Marty had charge of the offence earlier on, we win those early games and take the AFC North.

11-5 gives us the division, 10-6 probably gets us the Wild Card, so all is not lost in what seems like a lost season. Just those two plays define our season where we made many good plays only to shoot ourselves in the foot when it really mattered.

Edited by JonnyBaltimore

Team just needs to play better on offense. Games against teams with poor defense and the offense just looked dreadful, WAS, OAK, NYJ. There were also times when we knew the defense would play stiff competition against top ranked offenses and the offense on our side of the field didn't do much to help, (NE, DAL, Oak). Injuries played a role with the makeshift OL but every team will be hit by them, we did a great job of handling it in 2014, just didn't do it as well this year. 

On defense, you have to do better at the #2 CB spot than Shareece Wright. It's as simple as that. Pass Rush hurt a lot but we were still a good defense even without the pass rush, its been the problem in the 2nd half of the season and you badly need depth back there, it should be the #1 priority. 

I'd say the usual for the past few years. Injuries and a defense that falls apart in the second half. I said it last year, and the year before. The strength and conditioning coaches should help Pees pack his bags and they can all roll out together. 

we had the number 1 defense for the majority of the season, dont even try to pin it on them entirely, they blew the opportunity to cement themselves as the best defense in the league to get us in the playoffs, but they are the reason we were even in contention to begin with, without the defense we may be looking at a season even worse than 2015.  

early on, we had injuries, and an absolute nuthouse for a coaching staff. lord knows what the hell trestman was thinking, and marty did better but was far from what we needed. trestman deserved a good bit of blame for our early losses, harbaugh can be given a fair bit of blame for some losses, specifically oakland and any other game where we went for it on 4th down in field goal range repeatedly and failed. we had james worst starting at LT for a few weeks, we had a rookie 4th round LG starting at LT for a few weeks, our center was playing injured most of the year, our top 2 edge rushers played through season ending injuries, the cb that our defense is built on missed a considerable chunk of time(and no coincidence we got absoluely torched when he was out), our top receiver missed a few weeks, we had justin forsett for the first few weeks playing dismally and west hadnt gotten the reps to heat up, dixon was supposed to be our top back but was injured to start the season, our 3rd wr was injured and playing his first nfl reps, our qb was coming off of a torn ACL and had absolutely no time to drop back and pass and still led the league in pass attempts, we had things just really not go our way like mosley fumbling a foot away from the endzone for a touchback.

i mean seriously, it was an absolute disaster of a season and we managed to fall 1 game short of the playoffs and it appears that we really started to discover our problems and began to solve them, we got healthy on the line and kept together 1 unit for a month and they played well, we saw tons of promise from our future run game with dixon looking like a manchild out there, mike wallace has cemented himself as a legit option for us moving forward, breshad perriman showed flashes of why we drafted him and did so with limited opportunities and a laundry list of obstacles, ronnie stanley is a future pro bowl LT, joe flacco heated the hell up towards the end of the year and once again proved that he is an excellent qb when he isnt trying to throw while laying on the turf, matt judon and tavon young are studs and 2 of the biggest draft steals and fixtures on our defense moving forward, we have solved our safety problem for now, i think dean pees has proven(although many will say otherwise, disregarding that shareece wright and jerraud powers were our 2 and 3 at the end of the year) that he really could be the man for the job and that he and leslie frazier are a formidable duo, cj mosley and zach orr might be the best ILB tandem in the league. we have a LOT of reasons to feel optimistic moving forward, this season had the makings of an absolute disaster and we nearly pulled it off in the end. When it was all said and done, the 4 game slide(which happened largely due to bonehead calls, extremely unlucky plays, and injuries) and the injury of jimmy smith buried us and it was just too much to overcome for a team that honestly shouldnt have been that close to the playoffs to begin with. we overachieved based on the misfortune we faced all year, and we will be back.