kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,450 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, purpletide said:

OK. I though I remembered hearing something that could make us not pick him up, but not too sure that takes him off our list.

I think if the Ravens wanted him, they have Woodhead, Weddle, and the new OL coach to all give a very complete review of King and the type of player he is. 

56 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I think if the Ravens wanted him, they have Woodhead, Weddle, and the new OL coach to all give a very complete review of King and the type of player he is. 

Weddle had tweeted something when the Chargers released him calling him a good player. I'm sure they could give their opinion on him. 

20 hours ago, Martin Maryland said:

Offense

QB.  Flacco /  Mallett

LT.  Stanley. /.  Wesley??

RT. Hurst ??  /. draft rookie

C.  Urschel. / draft rookie

RG.  Yanda. /  Jensen

LG.  A.Lewis /. Jensen

RB. Woodhead/ Dixon/ West/ Allen / Talafiero

TE.  Pitta / Watson / Boyle / Williams / Waller / Gilmore

WR1.  M. Wallace. / C.Moore

WR2.  Perriman./.  draft rookie

Slot.  Campanaro / Reynolds

Needs RT, WR, C, G

Probably will need get  8 players via draft & FA. 

I know there's still the draft and more FA activity coming... but I feel like we should've let Brandon Williams walk and used that money on OL/WR. We all know B-Will is a stud but you have to allocate money better and not leave you're franchise QB out in the cold like this. Grabbing Corey Davis/Mike Williams would certainly be a step in the right direction. Grab a OLB/CB in the 2nd and the hit OL in the 3rd.

Edited by sflegend89

3 hours ago, sflegend89 said:

I know there's still the draft and more FA activity coming... but I feel like we should've let Brandon Williams walk and used that money on OL/WR. We all know B-Will is a stud but you have to allocate money better and not leave you're franchise QB out in the cold like this. Grabbing Corey Davis/Mike Williams would certainly be a step in the right direction. Grab a OLB/CB in the 2nd and the hit OL in the 3rd.

Can't blame them for keeping BWill. The DL hit a rock, they just lost Guy and Jernigan had an awful stretch the end the season. The run defense got torn to shreds and a lot of that had to do with the guys around BWill, lose him and see that run defense decline and you can forget about the additions we made in the secondary because it would have all went to shreds. 

3 hours ago, PurpleCity5 said:

Can't blame them for keeping BWill. The DL hit a rock, they just lost Guy and Jernigan had an awful stretch the end the season. The run defense got torn to shreds and a lot of that had to do with the guys around BWill, lose him and see that run defense decline and you can forget about the additions we made in the secondary because it would have all went to shreds. 

I can agree with that. I just hope the offense get's sorted when it's all said and done. After the last 2 seasons there is certainly reason to be on edge about the lack of help Joe is getting. The Patriots for example have a QB that can make do with limited talent and they are still out here bolstering their weapons, trading for Bennett a year ago and then trading for Cooks this year. Where is that type of initiative in our front office to help Joe? You have to score points to win in this league nowadays.

I think we should've chose between Jefferson or Brandon Williams, not both. That money could've gone a long way on the offensive side of the ball where it is desperately needed. We're talking about a unit that lost 3 of it's best starters and was pretty awful to begin with. The defense was already top 5 in the league, I think we could've used the draft to plug some pieces in there instead of ponying up so much money there in FA. Considering this is a defense heavy draft that would've made a lot more sense to spend on the offense in FA and draft defensive help.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Ozzie & Eric have a plan for the offense and it just hasn't come to fruition yet. I sure hope that's the case.

Edited by sflegend89

2 hours ago, sflegend89 said:

I can agree with that. I just hope the offense get's sorted when it's all said and done. After the last 2 seasons there is certainly reason to be on edge about the lack of help Joe is getting. The Patriots for example have a QB that can make do with limited talent and they are still out here bolstering their weapons, trading for Bennett a year ago and then trading for Cooks this year. Where is that type of initiative in our front office to help Joe? You have to score points to win in this league nowadays.

I think we should've chose between Jefferson or Brandon Williams, not both. That money could've gone a long way on the offensive side of the ball where it is desperately needed. We're talking about a unit that lost 3 of it's best starters and was pretty awful to begin with. The defense was already top 5 in the league, I think we could've used the draft to plug some pieces in there instead of ponying up so much money there in FA. Considering this is a defense heavy draft that would've made a lot more sense to spend on the offense in FA and draft defensive help.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Ozzie & Eric have a plan for the offense and it just hasn't come to fruition yet. I sure hope that's the case.

even if you combine the defense and special teams , the offense still has over 23 mil off the cap tied into them..

offense 83 mil
defense 53 mil
ST 8.4 mil.

maybe the offense just needs to start pulling their weight rather then needing huge investments again...

also i dont get using the pats as an example.
the way brady has been playing it makes sense to give him all he needs.
you know he is going to come out and play like MVP for majority of the games from week 1 all the way to the SB.

with flacco you dont know what you get on a weekly basis in the regular season but you do know that he steps up his game in the play offs.
makes more sense to build a team that can carry him to the play offs and he then takes over rather then build a team that relies on him to get them to the play offs.

8 hours ago, Tru11 said:

even if you combine the defense and special teams , the offense still has over 23 mil off the cap tied into them..

offense 83 mil
defense 53 mil
ST 8.4 mil.

maybe the offense just needs to start pulling their weight rather then needing huge investments again...

also i dont get using the pats as an example.
the way brady has been playing it makes sense to give him all he needs.
you know he is going to come out and play like MVP for majority of the games from week 1 all the way to the SB.

with flacco you dont know what you get on a weekly basis in the regular season but you do know that he steps up his game in the play offs.
makes more sense to build a team that can carry him to the play offs and he then takes over rather then build a team that relies on him to get them to the play offs.

This is kinda where I'm at with it in a way. The front office, in my opinion, must believe one of three things.

1. The Ravens aren't capable of developing young receivers. I would have believed this very much during the tenure of Jim Hostler and that would be supported by always bringing in these older, established veterans, but I just don't see it now. Engram is a really great receivers coach and we've seen great strides from players like Aiken and Perriman. I think if Engram were really given a bonafide star in the draft to work with (like Mike Williams), he could coach out any deficiencies and turn him into a superstar in the league.

2. The Ravens think Joe can do it all on his own and doesn't need a supporting cast around him. This one is just total bogus no matter who the quarterback is, except for one. I have only ever seen Andrew Luck do so much more with so much less and he was quite possibly the greatest draft prospect in NFL history, so we know that this isn't true.

3. The Ravens believe that no matter who they put out there, Joe is going to look exactly like he has for his entire career. Now, I know Joe hasn't had the greatest group of receivers in the world, but it seems that no matter who's out there, Joe is going to just make the same mistakes and the same throws. It doesn't matter if he has a Gronk or Julio; he's going to be who he is. He's gone through so many receivers, different offensive coordinators, and different philosophies and he's still playing the exact same. Sure, maybe if he had Gronk, Julio, Megatron, AJ Green, and Bell in their primes, he might be lighting up the stat sheet, but no quarterback has anything close to that.

I think the front office is resigned to the idea of giving Joe just enough to work with and not leaving him out to dry, but not hinging all their money on a receiver/tight end group that'd rival the best in the league because Joe is still going to be Joe no matter who is out there. 

16 hours ago, sflegend89 said:

Keeping Brandon Williams is the key to our success on defense. Loosing  both, B.Williams and Lawrence Guy, would leave our defense in shambles. Guy is replaceable with Urban and other D-linemen in rotation. 

Also signing Jefferson and Carr were two great moves in solidifying our secondary. 

So we have some solid starters on D- Line and Secondary, and we can add depth players via draft. The question marks are ILB and OLB spots vacated by Zach Orr and Elvis Dumervil. We will draft  for both of those spots, the question is in which rounds. Also depends on Correa and Judon and their readiness to be a full time starter.

On the Offense, assuming Woodhead will compensate for loss of Jusczyk, and John Urschel takes over Center spot vacated by Zutah, we certainly need a solid starter replacement for Wagner at RT.

That is the biggest glaring hole at this time. Gotta be addressed, preferably by signing FA or draft. As for some folks(and pundits) wishing for drafting shiny WR in 1st round, I say we have Wallace & Perriman as WR1 & WR2,. And we can put Campanaro in the slot. Yes, we need to draft WR , but does it have to be in 1st round?  We drafted LT Stanley last year, and Perriman year before that. Will Ozzie go Offense in 1st round again this year?

1 hour ago, Martin Maryland said:

Keeping Brandon Williams is the key to our success on defense. Loosing  both, B.Williams and Lawrence Guy, would leave our defense in shambles. Guy is replaceable with Urban and other D-linemen in rotation. 

Also signing Jefferson and Carr were two great moves in solidifying our secondary. 

So we have some solid starters on D- Line and Secondary, and we can add depth players via draft. The question marks are ILB and OLB spots vacated by Zach Orr and Elvis Dumervil. We will draft  for both of those spots, the question is in which rounds. Also depends on Correa and Judon and their readiness to be a full time starter.

On the Offense, assuming Woodhead will compensate for loss of Jusczyk, and John Urschel takes over Center spot vacated by Zutah, we certainly need a solid starter replacement for Wagner at RT.

That is the biggest glaring hole at this time. Gotta be addressed, preferably by signing FA or draft. As for some folks(and pundits) wishing for drafting shiny WR in 1st round, I say we have Wallace & Perriman as WR1 & WR2,. And we can put Campanaro in the slot. Yes, we need to draft WR , but does it have to be in 1st round?  We drafted LT Stanley last year, and Perriman year before that. Will Ozzie go Offense in 1st round again this year?

Yes, Mike Williams. Enough neglecting Flacco, don't worry though, he'll be long gone , probably another weapon for poor Dalton and we'll draft some DT or LB. 

Edited by OUravensfan

1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

This is kinda where I'm at with it in a way. The front office, in my opinion, must believe one of three things.

1. The Ravens aren't capable of developing young receivers. I would have believed this very much during the tenure of Jim Hostler and that would be supported by always bringing in these older, established veterans, but I just don't see it now. Engram is a really great receivers coach and we've seen great strides from players like Aiken and Perriman. I think if Engram were really given a bonafide star in the draft to work with (like Mike Williams), he could coach out any deficiencies and turn him into a superstar in the league.

2. The Ravens think Joe can do it all on his own and doesn't need a supporting cast around him. This one is just total bogus no matter who the quarterback is, except for one. I have only ever seen Andrew Luck do so much more with so much less and he was quite possibly the greatest draft prospect in NFL history, so we know that this isn't true.

3. The Ravens believe that no matter who they put out there, Joe is going to look exactly like he has for his entire career. Now, I know Joe hasn't had the greatest group of receivers in the world, but it seems that no matter who's out there, Joe is going to just make the same mistakes and the same throws. It doesn't matter if he has a Gronk or Julio; he's going to be who he is. He's gone through so many receivers, different offensive coordinators, and different philosophies and he's still playing the exact same. Sure, maybe if he had Gronk, Julio, Megatron, AJ Green, and Bell in their primes, he might be lighting up the stat sheet, but no quarterback has anything close to that.

I think the front office is resigned to the idea of giving Joe just enough to work with and not leaving him out to dry, but not hinging all their money on a receiver/tight end group that'd rival the best in the league because Joe is still going to be Joe no matter who is out there. 

Bruital, harsh, but so damn true! I don't see a fourth scenario

Edited by Halshayeji

1 hour ago, BmoreBird22 said:

pretty much.

13 hours ago, sflegend89 said:

My thinking on that is... well no that money prob wouldn't have gone very far on the offense. The only WRs we could've really targeted got 1 yr deals. Lock up a young, building block defender or get the WR for just this coming year? 

Or you look to the OL and the Browns would've outbid us for Zeitler and Tretter. Maybe we could've kept Wagner by only getting one of the defenders, but he was part of the mediocre OL we had last year... and was 1 of the 2 guys you look at as not fitting the mold of what they want on OL. 

Then theres the question of what do you hang your hat on? You don't win in this league by being average on both sides of the ball (typically). You look at the last 5 SB's or so and it's usually been elite offense vs elite D or elite offense vs elite offense. 

You gotta hang your hat somewhere. 

Obviously cant be terrible on the other side... but if you're great on one side of the ball you can get away with having some playmakers and being opportunistic on the other side. 

We were close to elite defense last year. And I think we got better already without the draft yet. 

The key on offense is fixing the run game. A lot goes into it of course, but they've made big time investments there already with bringing in coaching personnel and showing a commitment to fixing it and sticking with it. 

It comes back to OL then and specifically interior OL for me. If we can get a big, nasty mauling Center I think we're much better with a RT that can run block. 

And they have a plan. They don't trade/cut Zuttah without feeling confident in a plan there. I'm confident in that until proven otherwise. Week 1 is a long ways away. 

3 hours ago, OUravensfan said:

Yes, Mike Williams. Enough neglecting Flacco, don't worry though, he'll be long gone , probably another weapon for poor Dalton and we'll draft some DT or LB. 

If Mike Williams was still there at #16 and was the BPA, then I say pick him. But we also need high quality pass rusher DE/OLB who could take spot vacated by Dumervil. New version of T-Sizzle 2.0 and those only come in 1st round.

Besides we drafted Torrey Smith in 2nd and he turned pretty good for us.

7 hours ago, OUravensfan said:

I agree if Mike Williams is available we should take him. I seriously doubt it and we draft OLB Reddick from Temple. 

20 hours ago, sflegend89 said:

I don't think Tom Brady has been doing it all on limited talent. I think Edelman is a really good WR when healthy and they always rebuild with talent around Brady, that OL is surely one of the top of the league, and they have WRs who can contribute, are they the best in the league? No, not by a long shot but they have coaches who are great at what they do who put them in that position, I don't think the Ravens have that type of coaching staff. 

They also have done a magnificent job of managing the cap and thats on the Ravens, bad contracts have hurt them, I can't argue against the deals given to Webb and Monroe but Pitta's is certainly questionable. Coming off a hip injury and you pay him 7M per year? That was one to shrug at admittedly. Not getting the return value on Webb and Monroe put them where they are I can't blame them to much for that.

In terms of Jefferson or Williams, I agree strongly with keeping both. The Ravens are not getting a #1 CB on the roster and why would they even try with Jimmy on the team, might as well go for the next best thing and that's getting a top level safety who will help shut down the deep passing game. In terms of Williams, I made my case about the DLs decline, having a guy like Williams who can take on two interior linemen and shut the run down early is super important. Someone here said it, forgot who but it was on the money, Ray Lewis advocated for Ngata because a guy like him who could take on two interior linemen gave the ILB a free runner at the ball carrier. Even if BW's pass rush isn't felt, the fact that he can take on two blockers proves pivotal to inside blitzes, and a big reason why Mosley/Orr did a great job at getting to the QB. Defense statistically was top 5, but I can recall Biscotti said they were just as responsible for the season ending the way it did. 

I think the defense in the 1st round has plenty of good defensive talent but overall it hits a hard decline towards the middle and end rounds and the amount of CB talent decreases drastically. I'm fine with going defense if we go offense via draft. On the case of the starters, I think losing Wagner and Juice sucks but Wagner plays a position that isn't highly valued as the other positions on the line, same can be said for Juice who isn't even featured in some offenses. I think the loss of Steve Smith Sr. will be more felt than either. Personally, I think a good WR and TE would heavily offset the losses if we're expecting Stanley and Lewis to step up. 

51 minutes ago, Purple&Black#20 said:

I agree if Mike Williams is available we should take him. I seriously doubt it and we draft OLB Reddick from Temple. 

Agreed, I would definitely take him if he falls to us. At this moment I think he's our guy. 

1 hour ago, Purple&Black#20 said:

Mike Williams might be the best pick to take for our first round pick and it will be a blessing if he's slips to us. If Williams is gone, then draft Barnett as the second choice for our first round pick. If both are gone trade back a couple spots for a extra pick or two but not all the way back at the end of the first round. For the second round pick; if Desmond King slips into the second round, trade up a draft him. That will be a great pick. A physical corner who can also help our KR and PR duties. 3 round picks and later could be consider for a OT, Passrushing, and RB. Ozzie is good finding those late gems in those rounds. 👍

Edited by hen826957

7 minutes ago, JO_75 said:

Strange that Zach Brown is still available but we haven't shown any interest in him.

may be he asked for too much money cuz Kevin Minter was signed for 4.5 mil for 1yr, so I guess Zach ask for at least 3mil/yr and I don't think our offer should come anything near that number.  That's my speculation....