• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,503 posts in this topic

So it's no secret, the Ravens need a WR. Preferably a big guy that can move the chains. It's also no secret, the Ravens can't afford a marquee FA or guarantee that a top rookie falls to 16. 

The Eagles signed A.Jeffry and T.Smith early in FA. They also have a first rounder in Aglohor that they won't get rid of so J.Matthews is officially on the block.

1 year left on his rookie deal for 1 mil. He averaged 900 yards and 6 TD during his 3 years in philli. 6'3 4.46 40.

obviously if the Ravens give up a 7th for him it's a great deal for the Ravens but not philli.

If you were Ozzie and had Philli on the line, what would you offer?

I wouldn't define Matthews as a move the chains type guy. He's not as physical as his size indicates and seems like a slot guy to me even coming over here. He's also on the last year of his deal so we're going to have to pay up. I don't think I would want him here unless the price is really low. 

This thread is probably getting locked lol 

Edited by PurpleCity5

11 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Am I crazy??

Were my posts boiling over in optimism?

I don't hear anyone freaking out about DE or ILB when our current starters are likely Urban and Correa respectively. 

No bc we've got young players who haven't had a chance to prove themselves who can step in. No ones dreading that. 

But having that opinion on the offense is crazy optimistic??

Every team is going to have to rely on a young gun to step up. This isn't the first time the team relied upon someone who is defined as "un-proven" to step up. 

Personally the hole at WR is concerning but I think Perriman is going to take a big step next season and the team anticipates that. I think he could potentially be a 1200+ and 8TD+ player, not saying that's going to happen at all but the potential is there. I think we're in store for big things in reguards to Perriman and I think he's going to shock some people. 

Ooooh that's a tempting move. I think he'd pair well with Joe, too. I see this as a good fit. I'd send Philly as much as a 3rd to get him, but it may take more. I'm all for it. I was desperate for him in the draft.

I think he'd be a reliable player and a good compliment to what we already have.

If I was Ozzie, my offer to the eagles would be 

• Eagles get Ravens 3rd Round Comp Pick (99 overall)
  • Ravens get Jordan Matthews + Eagles 4th Rounder (118 overall)

Seems like a win/win for both teams.

48 minutes ago, RayRocks said:

I think he'd be a reliable player and a good compliment to what we already have.

If I was Ozzie, my offer to the eagles would be 

• Eagles get Ravens 3rd Round Comp Pick (99 overall)
  • Ravens get Jordan Matthews + Eagles 4th Rounder (118 overall)

Seems like a win/win for both teams.

This would be a fair deal since its not a given the Ravens would be able to keep him but I don't think the Eagles would go for it I'm all for it tho.

unless the trade comes with him agreeing to an extension at a reasonable price , i would not give up a 3rd rounder.

not worth risking losing him after the season in a bidding war.

i dont see any reason this will happen or should happen if im honest - this truly would be a 1 year rental in stead of a potential good piece that we can have for at least 4 years - and its not like matthews is a game changer - he disappears for long stretches and doesnt offer any outside the numbers possession possibilities

1 hour ago, redrum52 said:

That mans hands are as reliable as Jimmys health...

Hahaha sad but true

4 hours ago, Halshayeji said:

So it's no secret, the Ravens need a WR. Preferably a big guy that can move the chains. It's also no secret, the Ravens can't afford a marquee FA or guarantee that a top rookie falls to 16. 

The Eagles signed A.Jeffry and T.Smith early in FA. They also have a first rounder in Aglohor that they won't get rid of so J.Matthews is officially on the block.

1 year left on his rookie deal for 1 mil. He averaged 900 yards and 6 TD during his 3 years in philli. 6'3 4.46 40.

obviously if the Ravens give up a 7th for him it's a great deal for the Ravens but not philli.

If you were Ozzie and had Philli on the line, what would you offer?

Yea thatd me an amazing deal for the Ravens considering we dont even have a 7th.

If Oz pulls that off --- best GM ever.

-- 

On a serious note, Matthews has been underwhelming. His production is largely a product of being the only show in town and force fed the ball. Kamar Aiken syndrome.

And he has bad drops... fairly frequently.

And he wants to get PAID. Thats the only reason the Eagles were thinking of shopping him.

More importantly i dont think the Eagles are giving him up now unless a crazy good deal comes up... bc when they were shopping him was when they were trying to work out a deal for Cooks or sign Britt -- both of whom wouldve offered them long term stability at the position.

Since they signed Torrey and Alshon both to 1 year deals, they got themselves weapons for this year but nothing outside of it. If they trade Matthews, Alshon has a great year and gets $15m/yr from someone else and say Torrey doesnt do well.... then they're left with Nelson Aghalor, DGB, Paul Turner. Worst WR group in the league.

So, unless someone throws them a 1st/2nd rounder or a good CB that can start immediately i dont see them giving him up. At least until into the season if Alshon shows hes a baller and they lock him up long term. Then maybe.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

3 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Yea thatd me an amazing deal for the Ravens considering we dont even have a 7th.

If Oz pulls that off --- best GM ever.

-- 

On a serious note, Matthews has been underwhelming. His production is largely a product of being the only show in town and force fed the ball. Kamar Aiken syndrome.

And he has bad drops... fairly frequently.

And he wants to get PAID. Thats the only reason the Eagles were thinking of shopping him.

More importantly i dont think the Eagles are giving him up now unless a crazy good deal comes up... bc when they were shopping him was when they were trying to work out a deal for Cooks or sign Britt -- both of whom wouldve offered them long term stability at the position.

Since they signed Torrey and Alshon both to 1 year deals, they got themselves weapons for this year but nothing outside of it. If they trade Matthews, Alshon has a great year and gets $15m/yr from someone else and say Torrey doesnt do well.... then they're left with Nelson Aghalor, DGB, Paul Turner. Worst WR group in the league.

So, unless someone throws them a 1st/2nd rounder or a good CB that can start immediately i dont see them giving him up. At least until into the season if Alshon shows hes a baller and they lock him up long term. Then maybe.

Why would you say he "uverwelmingly" when he averaged 900 yards from 3 different Qbs in his first 3 years? I think that's pritty good considering the circumstances. He'd only cost s million so heck. He's worth something even if he leaves and we get a comp. 

Well they can't trade agolahor because they virtually kill cap space so they have to develop him and get something. If their GM doesn't trust the 20 mil he just spent on WRs then he shouldn't have gotten them lol.

So really Matthews won't get playing time and will leave next year and probably land them a low comp pick the following year 2018. Or they can just trade him for a pick two years earlier. A general rule in picks is that a pick moves up a round in value each year. So a 4th this year is worth a third next year and a second the year after that.

the Eagles won't get more than a 4th and should jump on it if offered. I think if the Ravens offer a 5th this year we get Matthews.

1 hour ago, Halshayeji said:

Why would you say he "uverwelmingly" when he averaged 900 yards from 3 different Qbs in his first 3 years? I think that's pritty good considering the circumstances. He'd only cost s million so heck. He's worth something even if he leaves and we get a comp. 

Well they can't trade agolahor because they virtually kill cap space so they have to develop him and get something. If their GM doesn't trust the 20 mil he just spent on WRs then he shouldn't have gotten them lol.

So really Matthews won't get playing time and will leave next year and probably land them a low comp pick the following year 2018. Or they can just trade him for a pick two years earlier. A general rule in picks is that a pick moves up a round in value each year. So a 4th this year is worth a third next year and a second the year after that.

the Eagles won't get more than a 4th and should jump on it if offered. I think if the Ravens offer a 5th this year we get Matthews.

Jordan Matthews is purely their slot receiver. Always has been. 

He literally never lines up out wide. Alshon and Torrey don't effect his snaps at all. 

They run 3 wide a majority of the time. They just now have 2 outside guys. 

And yes he's produced about 900 yds per season but with how much he was force fed he should've had more. He's been they're only receiver his entire tenure there other than playing with Maclin his rookie year. 

Outside of that the other weapons have been that white WR from Florida, Nelson Aghalor, Dorial Green-Beckham, Bryce Treggs, and Paul Turner. 

His rookie year literally everyone in that offense put up crazy inflated numbers bc of Chip Kelly's offense. Ran by far the most offensive plays in the league. Then the past two years he's been the only WR that can even catch a ball. 

I like him as a player but hes purely a slot guy so very limited. And for a slot guy he's not physical where he makes contested catches. Kelly was really good at scheming him into space. 

Im telling you... with now 2 other NFL quality receivers on the team with him his numbers are going down. 

But it doesn't matter anyways bc it's not happening. If we had a 7th to throw away I'd be cool with that. Def wouldn't give up a 4th or higher to have to pay $8m/yr for a slot receiver that can't produce on the outside.

i live in Philly now. See this guy every week during the season and what everyone thinks of him. He disappears for long stretches and then will put up 10 catches for 120 yds in a meaningless game or in garbage time. 

Not trying to kill the guy. He's a nice player. But he's at best a 2nd or 3rd fiddle in a good group, exclusively in the slot without reliable hands. Kamar Aiken can do the same for 1/5th of the price and no draft pick. 

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Not trying to kill the guy. He's a nice player. But he's at best a 2nd or 3rd fiddle in a good group, exclusively in the slot without reliable hands. Kamar Aiken can do the same for 1/5th of the price and no draft pick. 

Agreed 100%. 

Why would Ravens decide to pay for Matthews, when they can just draft talented WR. 

Thanks to Ozzie Newsome for Brandon Carr signing, and Happy Birthday. Our Defense got better:

DT Jernigan / C. Davis 

NT Williams / Pierce / Henry

DE Urban /  B. Kaufusi ? draft rooke

ROLB. Suggs / Z.Smith ?

LOLB McClellan ? / Judon ? draft rookie

MicLB. Mosley / Onwuasor?

SamLB. Corea ? / Louis? draft rookie

SS. Jefferson / Levine

FS   Weddle. /  ??? draft rookie

CB1  J.Smith / Canady? draft rookie

CB2. B.Carr. /. Roberson?

Nickel    T.Young / Arrington

Needs: DE, OLB, CB, S

Offense

QB.  Flacco /  Mallett

LT.  Stanley. /.  Wesley??

RT. Hurst ??  /. draft rookie

C.  Urschel. / draft rookie

RG.  Yanda. /  Jensen

LG.  A.Lewis /. Jensen

RB. Woodhead/ Dixon/ West/ Allen / Talafiero

TE.  Pitta / Watson / Boyle / Williams / Waller / Gilmore

WR1.  M. Wallace. / C.Moore

WR2.  Perriman./.  draft rookie

Slot.  Campanaro / Reynolds

Needs RT, WR, C, G

Probably will need get  8 players via draft & FA. 

Edited by Martin Maryland
Typo

12 hours ago, PurpleCity5 said:

I wouldn't define Matthews as a move the chains type guy. He's not as physical as his size indicates and seems like a slot guy to me even coming over here. He's also on the last year of his deal so we're going to have to pay up. I don't think I would want him here unless the price is really low. 

This thread is probably getting locked lol 

matthews is a move the chain guy though. hes pretty physical, hes no dez or marshall, but hes no slouch in tight spots, and move-the-chains receivers arent about contested catches, its about being available in general, matthews is still a damn good route runner and as a total package he has been a very good chain mover. his biggest issue, which makes him a bit of an oxymoron as a possession style receiver, is concentration drops.

8 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

He literally never lines up out wide. Alshon and Torrey don't effect his snaps at all. 

They run 3 wide a majority of the time. They just now have 2 outside guys. 

And yes he's produced about 900 yds per season but with how much he was force fed he should've had more. He's been they're only receiver his entire tenure there other than playing with Maclin his rookie year. 

Outside of that the other weapons have been that white WR from Florida, Nelson Aghalor, Dorial Green-Beckham, Bryce Treggs, and Paul Turner. 

His rookie year literally everyone in that offense put up crazy inflated numbers bc of Chip Kelly's offense. Ran by far the most offensive plays in the league. Then the past two years he's been the only WR that can even catch a ball. 

I like him as a player but hes purely a slot guy so very limited. And for a slot guy he's not physical where he makes contested catches. Kelly was really good at scheming him into space. 

Im telling you... with now 2 other NFL quality receivers on the team with him his numbers are going down. 

But it doesn't matter anyways bc it's not happening. If we had a 7th to throw away I'd be cool with that. Def wouldn't give up a 4th or higher to have to pay $8m/yr for a slot receiver that can't produce on the outside.

i live in Philly now. See this guy every week during the season and what everyone thinks of him. He disappears for long stretches and then will put up 10 catches for 120 yds in a meaningless game or in garbage time. 

You make a lot of valid points. He's no R.Moss but that's not what we need or what we're paying for. I still think he's worth a 5th or maybe a 4th. If he prices himself out then we get a comp pick. Heck perriman may be a #1 this time next year and problems solved lol

6 hours ago, Jonah DeVito said:

I'm 100% not interested in Jordan Matthews. Extremely underwhelming player, not at all what we need. 

I'm not sure how I feel about him, but I think people do believe that our need at WR is much more dire than it actually is. We have young guys that are still developing and were halted by injuries, and there's guys in the draft that can fit us just fine. Unless Matthews is something that brings something to the table that we don't have or can't get in the draft, I don't think we need him.

Cecil Lammey‏ @CecilLammey

more OT news: looks like #Ravens could be interested in King Dunlap, if #Broncos want to sign him, they may have competition @1043TheFan

18 minutes ago, Ravenskid52752 said:

Cecil Lammey‏ @CecilLammey

more OT news: looks like #Ravens could be interested in King Dunlap, if #Broncos want to sign him, they may have competition @1043TheFan

If we can get good RT for good price, I think we should sign one. What other choices do we have at that spot? Could we count on  J.Hurst to be solid starter there? We could draft one, but there are not that many good ones.

Just now, Martin Maryland said:

If we can get good RT for good price, I think we should sign one. What other choices do we have at that spot? Could we count on  J.Hurst to be solid starter there? We could draft one, but there are not that many good ones.

We seem to have trust in Skura and Wesley I've heard, but I'm not too sure that I feel the same.

I think I'd rather take the chance on Clady, but Dunlap has experience with the current OL coach, so there's that.

1 minute ago, BmoreBird22 said:

I think I'd rather take the chance on Clady, but Dunlap has experience with the current OL coach, so there's that.

I think I heard that Dunlap has DV in his past am I mistaken?

Just now, purpletide said:

I think I heard that Dunlap has DV in his past am I mistaken?

I don't think it was DV. He broke a restraining order from an ex. 

Just now, BmoreBird22 said:

I don't think it was DV. He broke a restraining order from an ex. 

OK. I though I remembered hearing something that could make us not pick him up, but not too sure that takes him off our list.