• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,482 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, rossihunter2 said:

im just waiting to see how much money the jets gave claiborne - i have to think he got more than 7mill which probably drove us away

7M+ is too much for someone who can't stay on the field. Unless he's elite or at least in that discussion than I want nothing to do with overpaying him.

4 minutes ago, purpletide said:

*alternative facts

Nah, those are what browns fans use when they say "this is the year we turn things around".

1 minute ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Nah, those are what browns fans use when they say "this is the year we turn things around".

LOL seems like every year is a "building year" to them.

So for those that were interested in Connor Barwin    it's been reported on The Rams official twitter page he has been signed to their team on a one year deal. 

Can we just ban Confora at this point? twice in one offseason he's linked us to a player, both times it was wrong

I'm honestly sort of happier with Carr rather than Claiborne. Sure Claiborne could continue to break out but we all know the guy can't stay healthy and last year was literally his only good year. Carr might not be as potentially good, but he's healthier and safer to consistently put out solid results out there. People around here calling Claiborne a shut down guy were going a bit far (and it wasn't only around here, over on reddit people were saying the same thing).

Edited by hn68wb4

6 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Retained Marty, re-focusing on building the run game, brought in new OL coach and Greg Roman, cut Zuttah, picked up wallace's option, signed Woodhead.

Upgrade Center and i think we're ready to roll. 

Gotta think about this too -- we've recently invested top picks at WR, TE, and LT... with other picks at TE, WR, and G. I think they're expecting return on those investments now... Perriman to pick up the slack of SSS retiring, Maxx Williams/Boyle/Gillmore to give us vertical field stretching, and Camp, Moore or Reynolds to step up and give us a decent #3/4 WR.

Dixon once returning will be expected to shoulder the load at RB.

I think C and maybe RT are the only spots where you could really question what are we doing. But we just made a bunch of cap clearing moves with no spend. So i imagine somethings coming. Theres a plan, we just have to be patient.

We've lost way more than we've gained offensively and it isn't like they were roaring along last season. I don't believe they are anywhere near ready to roll unless mediocre is what we're shooting for here.

6 hours ago, sflegend89 said:

Apparently we like having a middle-of-the-pack QB with a 24M cap hit and give him no help. Even the truly elite QB's like Brady and Rodgers who can make it happen with limited talent around them have had their weapons beefed up this offseason. 

This isn't a good offensive draft and an already poor unit has lost 3 of it's best players (Juice, Wagner, SSS)... We can put on the purple glasses all we want but the offense is going nowhere fast. It needed a major injection of talent and instead of signing a high end WR or OL we opt to blow a big contract on a Nose Tackle. I love Brandon Williams, he's an absolute stud... but the allocation of money is questionable at best

Yeah I don't get why they will not get some real weapons in here. It just boggles my mind. I am not satisfied at all with what we've currently got on board offensively given their performance last season.

10 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

Can we just ban Confora at this point? twice in one offseason he's linked us to a player, both times it was wrong

3 times.  Orr extension, Torrey signing here, Claiborne signing here.  He did call Tony Jefferson, but 25% is still failing.

8 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

3 times.  Orr extension, Torrey signing here, Claiborne signing here.  He did call Tony Jefferson, but 25% is still failing.

it sounds more like guesswork - maybe he got a tipoff from the journalist who was travelling with jefferson

3 hours ago, rmw10 said:

P.S. La Canfora is really bad at his job. 

lol I think he knows it too. 

Saw a tweet of his today where he was like "I reported the rams would have interest in Barwin, and today they sign him."

Hes down to now having to point out the the time his "sources" and reports end up with some validity.

1 hour ago, ravensdfan said:

We've lost way more than we've gained offensively and it isn't like they were roaring along last season. I don't believe they are anywhere near ready to roll unless mediocre is what we're shooting for here.

Yeah I don't get why they will not get some real weapons in here. It just boggles my mind. I am not satisfied at all with what we've currently got on board offensively given their performance last season.

We lost two players who while were really good, played at a position that isn't valued all that high. The RT position is the lowest paid group on the OL and one that teams feel that they can move around, more attention is typically paid to the inside and LT. Juice was a great player and I'm going to miss him but there are teams out there who don't even involve a FB into their offense, and I don't think its one that the Ravens have struggle with finding talent at either. I think the concern should be placed more on the inside of the OL and with the WRs. I can take losing Juice and Wagner, its not going to hit us nearly as hard as when we lost McPhee or Graham. Those two losses hurt this team so bad and are part of the reasons why the team is in the position they're in today. So bad that I really wish we could have had another shot at keeping either Graham or McPhee. 

2 hours ago, ravensdfan said:

I get everyone's upset that we haven't added on the offense... but I haven't heard any decent suggestions for what they should've done. 

Every tackle on the market got absurdly over paid.... plus there's still time. 

There were no good options at C other than Tretter and Mangold. Weren't gonna out pay the Browns for Tretter and Mangolds still available. 

So im assuming everyone wanted a WR. I did too... but Garcon went for the money and Marshall wanted to stay in NY. We couldn't pay $14m for 1 yr of Alshon. Pryors maybe the one you say, ok, $8m isn't bad but he was only taking a 1yr deal since he didn't get offered the $10m+ he wanted. 

So either he busts and you wasted $8m or he plays really well and gets paid next year by someone else who can afford $10m+/yr. 

so instead of throwing huge money at 1 yr band aids they used the money to invest in guys that'll be here long term for an elite defense. 

Itd be cool for one year but then next year we'd have the same hole at WR, and we'd have another hole at either S, NT or CB. 

OL is the priority on offense. No point in doing anything with weapons until we get that right. 

What good is a great RB if we can't block for him? What good are shiny expensive WR's if Joe's on his back in less than 3 seconds??

And I think they're expecting Perriman to become a legit #1 where then Wallace is a high end #2. If that's the case we're talking about a #3 WR vs plugging in a franchise S or DT. 

Dixon showed flashes of being a very good lead RB. And we've got TEs crawling out our rear end. 

So OL is really the only legit complaint imo. And I'd love to hear what we should've done there. Zuttah and Wagner do not fit the identity of where this OL is going and no one else was in our price range or an upgrade on what we've got. 

Theres still time, but the offense will be vastly improved just by showing a commitment to the run game. 

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

lol I think he knows it too. 

Saw a tweet of his today where he was like "I reported the rams would have interest in Barwin, and today they sign him."

Hes down to now having to point out the the time his "sources" and reports end up with some validity.

i dont know why he bothers - he's not an actual nfl insider so i dont get why he pretends to know things - i literally delete his twitter feed and then reopen it whenever someone like zrebiec retweets a rumour but its only kidding myself because that rumour is never really true anyway

5 hours ago, rmw10 said:

P.S. La Canfora is really bad at his job. 

That's nothing new.  Living in the DC area, when he covered the skins he was nicknamed 50-50

1 hour ago, RavensFanMania said:

That's nothing new.  Living in the DC area, when he covered the skins he was nicknamed 50-50

Washington fans were generous there

2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I get everyone's upset that we haven't added on the offense... but I haven't heard any decent suggestions for what they should've done. 

Every tackle on the market got absurdly over paid.... plus there's still time. 

There were no good options at C other than Tretter and Mangold. Weren't gonna out pay the Browns for Tretter and Mangolds still available. 

So im assuming everyone wanted a WR. I did too... but Garcon went for the money and Marshall wanted to stay in NY. We couldn't pay $14m for 1 yr of Alshon. Pryors maybe the one you say, ok, $8m isn't bad but he was only taking a 1yr deal since he didn't get offered the $10m+ he wanted. 

So either he busts and you wasted $8m or he plays really well and gets paid next year by someone else who can afford $10m+/yr. 

so instead of throwing huge money at 1 yr band aids they used the money to invest in guys that'll be here long term for an elite defense. 

Itd be cool for one year but then next year we'd have the same hole at WR, and we'd have another hole at either S, NT or CB. 

OL is the priority on offense. No point in doing anything with weapons until we get that right. 

What good is a great RB if we can't block for him? What good are shiny expensive WR's if Joe's on his back in less than 3 seconds??

And I think they're expecting Perriman to become a legit #1 where then Wallace is a high end #2. If that's the case we're talking about a #3 WR vs plugging in a franchise S or DT. 

Dixon showed flashes of being a very good lead RB. And we've got TEs crawling out our rear end. 

So OL is really the only legit complaint imo. And I'd love to hear what we should've done there. Zuttah and Wagner do not fit the identity of where this OL is going and no one else was in our price range or an upgrade on what we've got. 

Theres still time, but the offense will be vastly improved just by showing a commitment to the run game. 

Here's the thing though - this draft doesn't seem offense heavy as far as plug N play prospects. I'm pretty tired of a #1 WR that would be a #3 on any other team and a #2 that was a #1 back in the day but would probably wind up #4 on any other team as well. Not to mention, Ozzie seemed to indicate they were leaning defense heavy come draft time. Just not seeing how the offense is going to get any love and they were pretty dismal last season. This is precisely the reason why the offense is mediocre season after season after season IMO. It is an after thought to this FO. Outside of Flacco, when have we thrown any even semi-big money at an offensive player? Okay guess Pitta as well. We sent Boldin packing to save what was it? $5M? It's like they don't even care.

I'm a defensive fan. I love some great hard hitting defense but the rules are made for the offense and the days of living off your defense have come and gone. If your offense can't fire it up, you aren't going to be successful.

Edited by ravensdfan

24 minutes ago, ravensdfan said:

Here's the thing though - this draft doesn't seem offense heavy as far as plug N play prospects. I'm pretty tired of a #1 WR that would be a #3 on any other team and a #2 that was a #1 back in the day but would probably wind up #4 on any other team as well. Not to mention, Ozzie seemed to indicate they were leaning defense heavy come draft time. Just not seeing how the offense is going to get any love and they were pretty dismal last season. This is precisely the reason why the offense is mediocre season after season after season IMO. It is an after thought to this FO. Outside of Flacco, when have we thrown any even semi-big money at an offensive player? Okay guess Pitta as well. We sent Boldin packing to save what was it? $5M? It's like they don't even care.

I'm a defensive fan. I love some great hard hitting defense but the rules are made for the offense and the days of living off your defense have come and gone. If your offense can't fire it up, you aren't going to be successful.

By my count we'll have around 9 "new" weapons this season that weren't a part of last year... or we're only available for a very limited part. 

Dixon and Woodhead. 

Camp, Moore and Reynolds. 

Maxx, Gillmore, Boyle and maybe Watson. 

Perriman flashed big time last year and wasn't a part of building the offense or the time when you can truly perfect the plays through repetition. So he competed largely on athletic talent alone. 

With a full offseason now we can't write off that he can't be a #1. It's fair not to expect he can... but it's fair that the FO who sees him every day might expect the big investment they made to provide the return. 

And Pitta will be further removed from near career ending injury. He looked like he lost a step but was still dependable. With a full offseason healthy where he can actually train to get that explosion back we could see him return to a high end TE1. 

So if Perriman fulfills his potential we're in better shape imo. Especially if Camp stays healthy bc dude makes plays every single time he touches the ball. 

Dixon may have been the best back in the NFL toward the end of the year at getting yards after contact. He literally dragged piles of defenders routinely for an extra 3-5 yards. Having him for closer to a full season could be huge especially with his receiving ability. 

So if even just 2 maybe 3 of Camp, Moore, Reynolds, Maxx, Boyle, Gillmore, Watson, Waller, Woodhead or draft pick(s) can become good complimentary playmakers as our 4th/5th options or even leap frog Pitta/Wallace then were in really good shape. 

At the very least it's not unreasonable to think those 9 returning or new players can not only replace but surpass SSS and Juices lost production. 

If so, that coupled with an improved/more committed run game and balanced offense would mean drastic improvement on offense.

Where even just decent improvement on Offense along with what's shaping up to be a suffocating, elite defense should be enough to get over the hump into the playoffs and go on a run. 

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

22 minutes ago, ravensdfan said:

It's not like the front office decides to go defensive or offensive - they stick to their boards and their ideas of value and play everything as it unfolds - it just so happens that the draft and free agency were stronger on defense than offense- they can't manufacture the market to fix the offense if the players aren't there to make it work

youre cherry picking on those contracts as well btw: we paid yanda top dollar, we offered ko a large contract (but Oakland gave him the world), Mike Wallace is getting 8 mill this year, Pitta got a huge contract, ray rice got a large contract as well (not the FOs fault that what happened there happened), they gave monroe a big extension, zuttah and Steve smith sr weren't guys coming in for little money

just as another quick note: I'd argue that the offense we had in 2014 was pretty great and certainly not mediocre at all

26 minutes ago, ravensdfan said:

Here's the thing though - this draft doesn't seem offense heavy as far as plug N play prospects. I'm pretty tired of a #1 WR that would be a #3 on any other team and a #2 that was a #1 back in the day but would probably wind up #4 on any other team as well. Not to mention, Ozzie seemed to...

5 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

By my count we'll have around 9 "new" weapons this season that weren't a part of last year... or we're only available for a very limited part. 

Dixon and Woodhead. 

Camp, Moore and Reynolds. 

Maxx, Gillmore, Boyle and maybe Watson. 

Perriman flashed...

I have a strong feeling the truth is somewhere in between our resident pessimist and resident optimist

Just now, allblackraven said:

I have a strong feeling the truth is somewhere in between our resident pessimist and resident optimist

Why do so many people on these board avoid realism or moderation like the plague?

1 hour ago, allblackraven said:

I'm not even being overly optimistic. 

Just panicking. Everyone wants new weapons. We have around 9 new guys returning. 

And when we drafted Stanley no one was saying we need to go sign a big money LT. 

When we drafted Mosley we weren't slamming the FO for not signing a big money ILB and expecting the 1st round pick to produce. 

Perriman was a 1st round pick. He was injured and hasn't had an offseason yet... so ok we've supplemented help the past two years. But now they're expecting the 1st round pick to produce. 

Im not saying he will. Just pointing out to those saying we haven't done anything for the offense.... in recent years we've added, drafted or resigned to big money Dixon, Stanley, Wallace, Perriman, Pitta, Boyle, Maxx, Gillmore, Moore, West, Lewis, Yanda, Flacco, Camp, Woodhead, Watson, Buck Allen, etc...

and many of them haven't proven they can't play. 

So what's wrong with the FO expecting to see the results from all those investments before going out and dumping more resources into it??

And FA isn't close to over and draft hasn't happened.... and we aren't in the business of cutting starters without a replacement or plan in place. 

So I don't see how it's overly optimistic to expect that the OL will be addressed. 

"We have a lot of pieces returning from injury or suspension... and should make a move or 2 on the OL and if so I expect improvement compared to how the picture looks today...." 

The extreme optimism is just jumping out of that statement. 

1 hour ago, rossihunter2 said:

Why do so many people on these board avoid realism or moderation like the plague?

Am I crazy??

Were my posts boiling over in optimism?

I don't hear anyone freaking out about DE or ILB when our current starters are likely Urban and Correa respectively. 

No bc we've got young players who haven't had a chance to prove themselves who can step in. No ones dreading that. 

But having that opinion on the offense is crazy optimistic??

1 hour ago, allblackraven said:

The world tends be gray. Not black or white my friend. Cheers. 

Though you knew that

40 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Am I crazy??

I don't hear anyone freaking out about DE or ILB when our current starters are likely Urban and Correa respectively. 

No bc we've got young players who haven't had a chance to prove themselves who can step in. No ones dreading that. 

You've made rational statements and I'm in agreement with you about not freaking out that we haven't addressed the offense. Idk what all the fuss is about. Honestly I'd be fine with the offense as it is right now, as long as our in house OL can pick up the slack for Wagner/Zuttah. There's also the draft so not really worried anyway. Yeah it's no Falcons or Cowboys offense, but it is a fact that defense wins championships, and oh man our defense is looking better and better by the week. So I'm very content with how this offseason has played out thus far. 

Edited by Jonah DeVito

41 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Am I crazy??

You're not crazy but for me you generally appear overly optimistic through your posts.

Example:

Dixon, Stanley, Wallace, Perriman, Pitta, Boyle, Maxx, Gillmore, Moore, West, Lewis, Yanda, Flacco, Camp, Woodhead, Watson, Buck Allen, etc...

and many of them haven't proven they can't play.

Someone else might argue that many of them haven't proven they can play consistently, at least not in Ravens uniform

I was thinking abut how to get the Ravens best eleven on the field to create mismatches.  This led me to some ideas from Atlanta.   The Ravens almost always carry a pure return man.  The best two left are Reggie Bush and Percy Harvin.   Harvin is a headcase.   Bush would give Flacco two backs he could split wide at the same time Dont'a Hightower can't run with either.   Speaking of Bush that draft had a pass rusher named Mario Williams.    Imagine a 4-2-5 sub package that featured Williams at RE,  Brandon lined and Timmy J lined up inside with Sizzle in the motorcycle stance rushing as an LOLB not unlike Beasley in ATL who led the league in sacks last year.    And those two players can be had for less than a kicker.   Maybe the Veteran minimum.   You also may get the big WR in Vincent Jackson at the veteran Minimum recruited by Weddle to win the Super Bowl.   What makes this 4-2-5 unique is the makeup.   Actually with Sizzle being an LB it's a 3-3-5   Our Two Middle linebackers are the best tandem in the game.  The both can run, cover, tackle,blitz then to add 2strong safeties who can almost mirror each other except Jefferson is faster and better in coverage.  And a corner turned free safety who can still cover, knows the defense, can tackle has great ball skills and won't let anyone run by him because was out of position if we bring Webb back.   And finally two corners to do what you need corners to do in a zone defense, not get beat deep or physically manhandled.   It would be interesting.     And getting  Mario Williams on a one year, league minimum to win the SuperBowl contract should be easy.  Same with Vincent Jackson.    And Reggie Bush hasn't even been able to get on the field.   I'm sure he'd jump at a return man, possible sub package guy.

12 hours ago, allblackraven said:

You're most likely correct, maybe. But, for perhaps the last time we'll be able to do so, if you go back to all the other FA/Draft threads over the years, it is always the same.

The offense is fine, just get a C, RT, LT (those are usually the top 3) We're fine with WR X,Y, & Z. Then you know, we aren't.

We are coming off perhaps our worst year offensively and we do not have 9 "new" pieces lol That simply is not fact. In the limited playing time they've had, they certainly have not proven themselves to be the answer. We don't have Dixon for 4 games (1/4 of the season). Perriman has not shown me anything that says he is a #1 WR. This gets pointed out every year and when push comes to shove, the offense gets all the blame and no love when it matters.

All I'm saying is my pessimism is based off of what actually has happened since 2012. I have seen no evidence to support the optimism in that time.

Edited by ravensdfan