• Announcements

    • Admin 3

      UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

      After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
kjbmore

Free Agency 2017 (Players from Other Teams We Should Consider)

2,503 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, sflegend89 said:

I don't entirely get the infatuation with Claiborne. As Ravens fans we know more than anyone how frustrating injury prone players are. It's tough when during the offseason you plan on a certain guy filling a role for you and then the season starts and all of a sudden that player in basically never on the field. We deal with it on a yearly basis at CB as it is. Jimmy is depended on to be the #1 shutdown guy and then once gets banged up the entire unit basically crumbles. 

With Claiborne we aren't talking about a moderately injury prone player, we're talking about a guy who has played in just 22/48 games the last 3 years. Meaning he literally sits more games than he plays. When do we ever have good luck with injury prone players? The answer is never. I'll pass, he's talented when healthy but we need dependable guys. We're an injury carousel every year as it is. 

I know Anquan Boldin was able to stay fairly healthy with The Ravens and he was injury prone in the past. The Ravens have a new strength and conditioning  coach which may help with the durability of some players that are already on the team and for free agents such as Morris Claiborne.  The Ravens need better talent at the cornerback position and it is indeed quite clear that Claiborne hasn't been dependable in the past but that doesn't mean he won't be in the future.. I don't think the guy is worth 7 million a year but he's definitely worth the risk to try out and see if it''s possible the team can get more out of him than The Cowboys.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jazz1988 said:

I know Anquan Boldin was able to stay fairly healthy with The Ravens and he was injury prone in the past. The Ravens have a new strength and conditioning  coach which may help with the durability of some players that are already on the team and for free agents such as Morris Claiborne.  The Ravens need better talent at the cornerback position and it is indeed quite clear that Claiborne hasn't been dependable in the past but that doesn't mean he won't be in the future.. I don't think the guy is worth 7 million a year but he's definitely worth the risk to try out and see if it''s possible the team can get more out of him than The Cowboys.

he has never played a full season in his career and its pretty much guaranteed that someone in the ravens secondary will get injured lol.

i would not bet on claibourne not getting injured.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

he has never played a full season in his career and its pretty much guaranteed that someone in the ravens secondary will get injured lol.

i would not bet on claibourne not getting injured.

While you can't guarantee a player from not getting injured, you could tell last year the Ravens were substantially healthier and in better shape and got less injured last year with the new conditioning coach. Also Claiborne was asked a lot more than he would here and that would cause more stress on muscles. If he was here and surrounded by other pieces I think there is a less likely chance he gets injured. Jimmy Smith's injury was a freak accident from a player landing on him, when usually he has those non-contact baby injuries that keeps him out. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tru11 said:

he has never played a full season in his career and its pretty much guaranteed that someone in the ravens secondary will get injured lol.

i would not bet on claibourne not getting injured.

Neither did Emmauel Sanders before he was signed to The Broncos. My point isn't that Claiborne hasn't shown to be injury prone so far in The NFl but my point is that he's too talented or his upside is too good for The Ravens to not give him a shot. The Ravens are still going to draft  a cornerback in this year draft regardless on who they sign but again that shouldn't stop them from signing Claiborne. Caliborne may end up signing with The Ravens then up playing in every game and become the outside corner The  Ravens been missing since Corey Graham .

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jazz1988 said:

Neither did Emmauel Sanders before he was signed to The Broncos. My point isn't that Claiborne hasn't shown to be injury prone so far in The NFl but my point is that he's too talented or his upside is too good for The Ravens to not give him a shot. The Ravens are still going to draft  a cornerback in this year draft regardless on who they sign but again that shouldn't stop them from signing Claiborne. Caliborne may end up signing with The Ravens then up playing in every game and become the outside corner The  Ravens been missing since Corey Graham .

Perfectly said. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jazz1988 said:

Neither did Emmauel Sanders before he was signed to The Broncos. My point isn't that Claiborne hasn't shown to be injury prone so far in The NFl but my point is that he's too talented or his upside is too good for The Ravens to not give him a shot. The Ravens are still going to draft  a cornerback in this year draft regardless on who they sign but again that shouldn't stop them from signing Claiborne. Caliborne may end up signing with The Ravens then up playing in every game and become the outside corner The  Ravens been missing since Corey Graham .

sanders played in all 16 games in 2012 and 2013 before going to the broncos in 2014.
he played in 16 games as well in his rookie season only missing 3 games.
played in 12 games his 2nd season missing only 5 games.

he actually only missed 8 out of 68 games as a steeler.

how on earth can you even use him to make  your point about claiborne ?

ps: 2010 and 2011 the steelers where in the play offs and sanders played in those game.
 

Edited by Tru11
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

sanders played in all 16 games in 2012 and 2013 before going to the broncos in 2014.
he played in 16 games as well in his rookie season only missing 3 games.
played in 12 games his 2nd season missing only 5 games.

he actually only missed 8 out of 68 games as a steeler.

how on earth can you even use him to make a your point about claiborne ?
 

Wow was  looking at the wrong information lol    but Walter Thurmond is a better example.  He was just as injury prone or more than Morris Claiborne and when he signed with The  Eagle he played in every game in 2015  after only playing in two games with The Giants in 2014. If Sanders missing just 3 games  in his rookie season count  ,well ,Claiborne played in 15 games in his rookie season, played in 10 games in this third season,and 11 games in his fourth season while his fourth and fifth season has been his few games he's played in.

I doubt The Ravens are trying to sign Morris Claiborne to muilti deal so it's not out of the realm for me to think he could end up having a healthy season like Walter Thurmond and later on netting The Ravens comp pick in 2019 if he plays well enough . I don't mind The Ravens getting 15 games Claiborne or  maybe even 11 games but of course they would have to have a back up plan which  is  where a talented rookie corner would come in handy.

 

Edited by jazz1988
-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 11:55 AM, lgcs27288 said:

Please tell me the last time a team traded within their division... please.

He. Is. A. Free. Agent.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the Claiborne injury concerns.

But riddle me this... should we be scared and sign someone who we expect to play 16 games but KNOW isnt going to be good enough?

OR should we sign the 1 guy left that is good enough to really be an upgrade, and HOPE taht he can play close to 16 knowing that the only reason we have a shot at such a quality player is bc of his past injury problems?

We're going to draft a CB pretty high either way. Only difference is do you need him to start to save your season, or do we have a Plan B.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I get the Claiborne injury concerns.

But riddle me this... should we be scared and sign someone who we expect to play 16 games but KNOW isnt going to be good enough?

OR should we sign the 1 guy left that is good enough to really be an upgrade, and HOPE taht he can play close to 16 knowing that the only reason we have a shot at such a quality player is bc of his past injury problems?

We're going to draft a CB pretty high either way. Only difference is do you need him to start to save your season, or do we have a Plan B.

Yep do we want another Shareece Wright in the building, or a guy who was shutdown when healthy?

Plus people cannot predict injuries. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

uhhhhhhh...... Brandon Carr. Sweet.

 

4 years. Awesome. 

 

Well  i guess i should wait for the details at least.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realized PFF had him in their Top 20 CBs last season.

Apparently he played real well down the stretch, allowing less than 30 ypg on most teams #1 with Mo on the field... and in 4 of the last 6 games only allowed 1 catch, highlighted by shutting down AJ Green for 1 catch, 9 yards.

Maybe, at the very least, he can keep Green from scoring game winning TDs on us last minute.

 

EDIT: he was 18th entering week 12. Apparently he fell to 51st.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish he was a little bit younger but Carr isn't a bad pickup.  The #1 trait on his side is consistent health.  He's had an up a down career but has been a solid contributor for most of his career.  Seems like a good stopgap for a younger guy.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok so apparently its a crazy deal.

It's really a 1 year deal, with incentives and options that could make it a 4 year $24m deal.

Schefty says its likely a 2yr $12m deal though.

 

Ughhh... just pay Mo Claiborne his $1.5m at that point.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what, i will say this.

For 5 years the Cowboys tried to replace Carr after signing him to that big deal. And tried as they might, they couldnt find anyone who gave them enough reason to cut him or move on from the contract. Couldnt get any leverage.

Has never missed a game, has never not started a game.

 

Maybe stability is what we needed?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

You know what, i will say this.

For 5 years the Cowboys tried to replace Carr after signing him to that big deal. And tried as they might, they couldnt find anyone who gave them enough reason to cut him or move on from the contract. Couldnt get any leverage.

Has never missed a game, has never not started a game.

 

Maybe stability is what we needed?

I'm on board with this.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moderator 3 said:

I'm on board with this.

im warming to it.

 

Double swoop for both of the 'boys CBs??? Maybe???? 

yea, prob not.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

a 3yr/$15m deal for Claiborne wouldnt be actually $5m/yr.

You offer him 3 so you can move the money around and get him cheap in year 1 (prob like $2m, $3m max)... with an option to keep him on a reasonable $4-5m deal if he plays well and proves himself for year 2... with year 3 having no guaranteed money but a higher salary figure bc you know youre going to either a) extend him if he plays well or b ) cut him before year 3 if hes often injured or doesnt play well with no penalty whatsoever.

 

In that Claiborne deal he likely has less than $10m in cap charges over 2 full years if he plays well. 

To get Butler we'd have to offer more than the $3.6m tender and give up the pick. Or work out a trade separate to that where we take on just the $3.6m but still, youre not factoring in the value of the pick. $3.6m + the value of the pick is MUCH higher. thats 4-5 year of potentially elite talent on a cost effective deal you skip out on, just to get Butler for one year where youre prob not a serious SB contender anyways.... so why mortgage the future for him?

 

If a number of things go right, i do think we can get into the playoffs, and at that point we're a dangerous team. Anything can happen.

But its not like we're in a position where a very good CB2 is the only glaring piece thats keeping us from winning a SB. Is a guy like Butler could potentially be the one piece that puts us over the top and makes us odds on favorites to win a SB -- ok, then i could see some rationale to making a move like that.

But, with holes on the OL, needs in the secondary, a need for a young pass rusher, and more weapons on offense.... taking our biggest asset and wasting it on a 1 yr upgrade at CB makes no sense for me.

I somewhat agree price for Butler would be just too high for us, considering trading our 1st pick. unless If we could get 3rd rounder from them and that's not gonna happen.

With regards to Claiborne, Even with your proposed deal, Im still not sold on him. If we exhausted all other possibilities, then, maybe yes. 

I actually found even better option than getting Butler.

Darelle Revis for 1yr deal, Ravens keep 1st round pick.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

uhhhhhhh...... Brandon Carr. Sweet.

 

4 years. Awesome. 

 

Well  i guess i should wait for the details at least.

Wow. Didn't see this one coming, but I think I like it.

Definitely better deal than signing Claiborne.

Kudos to Ozzie, again.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Martin Maryland said:

Wow. Didn't see this one coming, but I think I like it.

Definitely better deal than signing Claiborne.

Kudos to Ozzie, again.

im just waiting to see how much money the jets gave claiborne - i have to think he got more than 7mill which probably drove us away

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now